What's the last ancient game you popped in and were impressed by?

metalstorm for the nes.....typical mech shooter (ie blaster master) until you add in the fact that you can flip gravity. That aspect adds a great puzzle element to the game. This was the first game that I got as an adult that made me realize "Hell, I did miss some good games."

[quote name='yukine']You stole what I was going to say. :lol:[/QUOTE]
you sir, also stole what i would have said about Gunstar Heroes for the VC

-[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Cool Spot on the Genny

I loved this game(and its sequel Spot Goes To Hollywood) SO much that I re bought both of them(one cart only :() when I rebought a used Genny a while back.

Of course, I'm STILL looking for complete(or near complete) copies of General Chaos(one of the EA games I loved the hell out of before my disdain for them developed) and Flashback: The Quest For Identity.

I know that Flashback had a sequel on the PS1 called Fade To Black, but I never bothered to try and find it and now, it's impossible to find ANYWHERE.[/quote]
-
-
Just to put you at ease a bit -- Fade to Black was a third person action/shooter and its gameplay was really nothing like the thoughtful, deliberate paces of the original game. I found it highly disappointing.

I recently played the Game Gear version of Gunstar Heroes and it's surprisingly good. I knew how good the Genesis version was, I was amazed this one holds up so well.

Back in late 2005 I played Rondo of Blood for the first time and it blew me away. It was like "Oh, so this is where all the sprites from all the recent CV games came from."

Heroes III and Dune II are awesome, mad props for mentioning those two.

as for me it will always be Chrono Trigger. if you haven't played it yet, please do.

Even though this thread is heavily console weighted, I pulled out Fallout Tactics and loaded it up on my PC this afternoon, and am having more fun than I remember having back when it first came out. Maybe that was pre-patch, I dunno. The intro itself I had completely forgotten, and DAMN is it cool!! Worth loading up just to see that again!!

I put in Yoshi's Island SMB2 for SNES last weekend for the first time. Man, what an amazing game! Sometimes you start playing a new game and immediately the graphics, control, and originality captivate you, and you know you're playing something special. It all came together with this title. Highly recommended!!

Return of Double Dragon (SNES) it was a Japan game, it was very good... standard double dragon but the they had counters it was really nice and detailed.

Comix Zone For the Sega Genesis, I forgot how fun that game was. Sub Terrania was fun as well, frustrating but fun.

Well, it's not really ancient or anything, and it is a PC game, but over the past few days, I've been playing Jurassic Park: Trespasser, and I have decided that, as far as I'm concerned, and despite it's considerable flaws, no other game in history has been more ahead of it's own time. Certainly, no other first-person-shooter. The thinking, the design, the technology, and the developmental and experimental daring behind it is really jaw-dropping. The developers really had guts, and although the game doesn't live up to it's ambitions, they really deserve credit for all of Trespasser's innovations.

This game came out in late 1998, and had just this laundry list of things that I don't know of any game (FPS, certainly) using before it. From the design standpoint, you've got a 100% HUD-less game, using verbal clues for ammo feedback (King Kong and Condemned used the same idea recently), and this absolutely unique way of interacting with the gameworld, that, while being one of the most unique and innovative things about the game, is also one of the more flawed features. I'm talking about how you directly control the player character's right arm (her left arm is fractured in the opening cinema, rendering it useless), using it to reach out and grab and interact with objects within the game world. Again, drawing a comparison to the recent Condemned, you can use many ingame objects (rocks, sticks, chair legs, etc) as weapons. Once you've grabbed something, you can point it anywhere you want, and fine tune your aim anywhere you please (there is no crosshairs, remember, as this game is HUDless). So, if you have a gun, you can actually point it 90 degrees to your left, and run straight ahead. I can't think of any other FPS with that same degree of control. You interact with guns as you would with any other object. You pick them up, aim them, and press the use button to fire. Once you run out of ammo, you toss the gun and find another, unless you want to use it as a club (you can't well reload with just one arm). And lastly, keeping with the realistic theme, you can only carry two objects (one stowed, one held). It's really, really unique, and while flawed, I find it to be really enjoyable.

And then there are the game's technological innovations, and again, this is a regular laundry list of bleeding-edge ideas. It had normal mapping, specular lighting, 3D acceleration support (new at the time), height-mapped terrain, clever use of animated textures to draw ripples in water, some really clever sound stuff (including, I believe, surround support, and some supposed real-time sound-effect mixing, to produce unique collision sounds when two objects collide, based on size, velocity, etc), and that's just the A/V stuff. Two of the game's most memorable features are it's, for the time, jaw-dropping physics model, and it's 100% inverse-kinetics animation system. The physics were practically necessitated by the use of the arm to interact with the game world. Sadly, it is often cheaply used for obnoxious box-stacking puzzles and whatnot, and the game's physics tech is really outdated now, but still, seeing physics like Trespasser's in 1998 was really mind-blowing stuff. And the animation system, though prone to produce some really screwed-up, freaky, broken poses and whatnot, was really foward-thinking. It certainly gives the dinos more versitility in their movement than stock animation would have.

Lastly, the game had an orchestrated soundtrack by Bill Brown, pieces of which have actually enjoyed extended lives in numerous other productions. Richard Attenbourough's narration is nice, too, though I wasn't impressed by Minnie Driver as the main character.

Well, anyways, I am raving a bit here, but the game really overwhelmed me with the amazing innovation and ideas that the developers had come up with for the game. It's very flawed nature keeps it from being ranked as a truly great game, but in terms of innovation and design, I believe it deserves special recognition. Imagine if the original Star Wars movie had the same revolutionary special effects, but had woefully two-dimensional characters and story development, coupled with really dreadful acting, and I think that's a decent analogy for Trespasser. Flawed, but years ahead of it's time.

[quote name='sarausagi']I just played a little "Fighting Force" [one of my favorite PSOne games when I was like 12 or 13]

and I realize why I liked it so much, very impressive for early PSONe, real 3d, pretty decent character animations, fun game play

I wish they remade this game or put it on X-Box live. I just read a bunch of Gamefaqs reviews and see nothin but 2 and 3 scores...I must have bad taste.[/quote]

Great game :applause:, one of the best games to play co-op on PS1, I remember playing all night with my friend and beating that game over and over again. They had a sequel on the dreamcast but they took the co-op out for some odd reason.

I was impressed with NBA JAM on SNES. I played it yesterday and was delighted with the amount of fun you can have turning on all the juice upgrades so that you can run around the court at super speed and push other players to the other side of the court :)

Castlevania IV. Amazing, detailed sprites and awesome music. Par for the Castlevania series but it's amazing how well the games have held up over the years.

Well I loaded up Fallout 2, man I wish they had more games like this. I just being evil and making everyone hate me in the game!

The Fallout Series were great, I can't wait for Fallout 3, (4 if you count tactics) I believe Fallout 3 will be using the same engine they used for Oblivion.

The army men games. These are like crack to me, very fun and pretty solid games, don't go in expecting halo but a very fun and varied series of games.
Also to the poster with Tresspasser, that game is awesome and as a biased JP fan it truly is revolutionary. And to the guy looking for Fade to Black for PS1 I have it, $6 shipped if your interested. And one last thing, a second sequal was made for GBA in keeping with the first one, a 2-D game but it wasn't completed, there is actually footage of the game on youtube.

I like how people are picking games from 5 years ago as "ancient", granted 10-year-old games are not much older.

Try throwing Metroid III into your SNES if you want to be impressed by an old game, it has some intense visuals and gigantic sprites.

G'damn, Shinobi III is such a fucking good game. Been playing this on the Genesis Collection and yeah... it's an unbelievably good game.

If 9 years is old school, then I would have to go with my long forgotten copy of Starcraft. Havn't played that in years since the online community went really hardcore. I'm trying it again though thanks to all the SC2 publicity. Oh, there's also Legend of the Mystical Ninja, man I loved that game. Probably rented that game enough back in the day to just buy it outright.

My friend got me a very cool SNES pad adaptor (USB) for my PC and I've been playing a lot of older games lately of all varities.

I just popped in Earthbound last night and it's pretty neat, right off the bat. I'm also pretty deep into FFIII... first play through.

Every now and then I'll hook my Genesis back up to play some Toejam & Earl with my wife or one of my kids. It's always a blast.

Not that it's "ancient", but the first Soul Calibur for the Dreamcast is another game I go back to a lot.

i thought i put mine up here i was really impressed by Xenogears like it was mentioned above so i'll find another one..

what counts as "ancient" like NES? on the NES, any of the old RPGs (the first FF, Earthbound zero ( the first one you can only emulate) Dragon Warrior) those still impress me consider the genre hasn't strayed much..

SNES.. Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG.. those two games are probably the finest examples of RPGs ever made they are perfect storywise, characterwise, and pacing.. ( by pacing i mean, you never spend too much time just trying to level up fight boss repeat) and there is just enough to find/collect that it doesn't seem "tedious" I can STILL play both of those games and be happy it doesn't get old..

PS1- Xenogears.. i recently got a copy and I'm really impressed.. its not my first experience with the game (i played a demo of it from the Parasite Eve disc years ago) but it really is great.. probably top 3 best PS1 games (FF7 you got to put there, and Castlevania SOTN even though i didn't play that game).. the first MGS really impressed me too, still does..

GBA- Tekken Advance.. it is the best fighter on the system hands down.. it doesn't try to do the "hold" a button down for a "harder" kick like Street Fighter and it has 3D graphics.. it honestly brought the arcade on the go for the first time for me.. also.. the Konami Collection with Frogger.. that game in all its simplicity still has me coming back for more.. i've probably played a million games since but its still great.. hmm.. the FF 4 5 6 advance are really great.. even has a "save anywhere" function that is perfect for this kind of RPGs I think they are great..

N64- I've only had a N64 for maybe 3 years at the most and by far the game that has impressed me the most is Paper Mario.. great graphics and a great game all around.. I own quite a bit of 64 games now, but thats the one i'm most impressed with

PS2- I also came late to this party as well (I got a Xbox in 2002 didn't get a PS2 till probably 2004ish) but.. early PS2 games that still impress me today, I love Baldurs gate dark alliance.. i bought this with my PS2 and i loved it.. played through it with each of the characters and got the 2nd one for xbox later and played through that as well its perfect style of RPG.. other games that i'll never tire of.. Guitar Hero ( i know i know who doesn't play this one) and the god of war games..

xbox- KOTOR.. I love that game.. i've played it through 3 times getting everything i could possibly get/do.. its an amazing game.. its the perfect star wars game.. I also loved playing Star Wars battlefront and Burnout 3 online.. I doubt the next gen equivelents of these will be as fun as that time (at the time xbox live wasn't quite as universal as it is now.. and besides.. most of the people just play halo 2 on xbl anyways) battlefront was always fun as i seemed to always get better at it.. and it was just fun to play those star wars fights.. I got to the Halo party late.. i'm pretty good at it..but i wish there were bots as I don't like getting my ass handed to me on Live and i guess i just don't care that much if i'm "that good" or not.. heh

GC.. you know.. theres not much out on the gamecube that i really liked.. but Eternal Darkness was an amazing game.. creepy and awesome..

[quote name='willardhaven']I like how people are picking games from 5 years ago as "ancient", granted 10-year-old games are not much older.

Try throwing Metroid III into your SNES if you want to be impressed by an old game, it has some intense visuals and gigantic sprites.[/quote]
In the video game field, 5 years is a lifetime and more then likely a new console.

What always amazes me is how amazing the Mario launch games were for the first three Nintendo systems:

Super Mario Brothers is a magnificent game. It is just a flat-out blast. And c'mon -- its legendary! Everyone knows of the game (and of the music)!

Super Mario World is probably my favorite platformer ever. What always impressed me is how crisp the graphics are. They're not necessarily highly detailed (not like FF3 or Metroid), but they're very solid... a lot of vibrant colors in that game. Super Mario World is probably the game I've played the most throughout my lifetime. Most importantly, the game is flat out fun! Anyone of any age you can play. And it provides legitimate challenge once you get to Star Road and Special.

Finally, Super Mario 64. I can't say enough about this game. It may very well have been the most amazing gaming experience I've ever had. When this thing came out, my cousin was lucky enough to pick one up. I was over there constantly. We played that game religiously. Mario had set the bar high with Mario World and Mario Brothers -- they somehow managed to maintain this level of awesomeness, despite having to make the leap into the 3D realm.

There are numerous other games that impress me.... dozens of them. But I think it speaks volumes about how talented the creators of these games in particular were, given that they were launch titles. A lot of times you don't really start seeing consistently solid games until later into a system's life, but these games managed to avoid that.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Spiritual Warfare for the NES...Damn.[/quote]

ROFL!!!!:lol: What a game. I just beat Gaires for the first time in my life on the Genesis (cheating of course). The music, the story, the weapons. T-Braster all the way baby! Now on to Sword of Vermillion.

Edit: Got sucked into Spellcaster for the Sega Master System. This game rocks.... but I hate these oldschool passcode saves. Why do they have to be soooooooo freakin long?!

Parasite Eve
I bought it about a year ago, and played until the central park level, and then got stuck. I recently tried again and got addicted and amazed by the story, battle system, and powers, and I finished it like 2 days later. Too bad PE2 changed the battle system.
Makes me pissed that Parasite Eve 3 is going be a cell phone game.:bomb:

You call that ancient? I'm playing some now. Kings Quest I, Space Quest I, Kings Quest II and about 4 months ago the Zork Trilogy. The games you're listing are just kinda old.

I love old adventure games. Too bad it's a dying genre.

[quote name='lwelyk']You call that ancient? I'm playing some now. Kings Quest I, Space Quest I, Kings Quest II and about 4 months ago the Zork Trilogy. The games you're listing are just kinda old.

I love old adventure games. Too bad it's a dying genre.[/quote]

I tried to play Space Quest ][ again a few months ago.. it's amazingly hard. not only to you have to type out your actions you also have to physically navigate some of the puzzles -- at the SAME TIME -- owch. I only have two hands.

I guess it's all relative.. but I, too, love how some peoples idea of an old game is "Final Fantasy 8."

Speaking of old adventure games, I've been replaying all of LucasArt's classics. So far I played through Maniac Mansion, Zak, DOTT, SMI, Grim Fandango, and Beneath a Steel Sky (not LucasArts but an awesome game nonetheless.)

Warcraft II. I found my original CDs and installed it on my old PC.

I also got my Kirby All Stars cartridge to finally work. Silly, a bit too easy, but damn fun. Oh, and it has great coop action

[quote name='lwelyk']You call that ancient? I'm playing some now. Kings Quest I, Space Quest I, Kings Quest II and about 4 months ago the Zork Trilogy. The games you're listing are just kinda old.

I love old adventure games. Too bad it's a dying genre.[/QUOTE]

well i played Magic the gathering this afternoon and thats "Ancient"

even the old microprose game holds up well.. it even has "Ancients" in the title (google: Mircoprose Magic The Gathering)

you know.. adventure games just didn't hold their mechanics very well.. the latest "adventure" game i played the PS2 escape from monkey island.. it was very dated in terms of movement, and puzzles.. it didn't age well from the "interactive" cartoons/books they started out being... then again.. i was only a wee lad when they first came out (although my dad and I played through the Kings Quests and DOTT years ago.. and i liked them then)

I have to say Rampart on NES, this was before it was put onto the playstation store. Then my personal favorite Dusty Diamond's all star softball on the NES

Although not quite ancient. I've been playing Pokemon Puzzle Challange (GBC)
for about a solid month.

This game is quite addictive and also falls under my category of games that I thought would really, really suck but did'nt

Oo, oo, I've got a good one. Alone in the Dark, from 1992. Pretty creepy game. Guess it's not *too* old, but old-ish. I also love Day of the Tentacle.

bread's done
Back