What's the worst thing that's ever happened to you?

Worst thing ever would be a relative term; it is those things that seem (bad) or "worst" can be some of the most beneficial life-experiences.

I've been pretty fortunate in terms of not having any major illnesses or injuries, nor having any close family or friends go through anything like that yet. Which is amazing given I'm in my 30s. *knocks on wood*

I had an ex-girlfriend many years back who had depression issues and tried to kill herself once, that would probably be the worst thing I've been through.

brain tumor.. easy. The tumor itself doesn't bother me.. well I guess the mind-numbing headaches were sort of annoying but being up here in Canada so long ...

I like being in the land of my birth and all but it's killing me in other ways. I was gearing up to go back to school when I left. All my accounts online are US based so being in Canada means I can't buy stuff online. My PSN account is US based and it's a pain in the neck to buy stuff online for that as well. People want me to do stuff like build websites and fix up computers and what not and while I have the knowledge and the google skills. I don't have the tools. You know how hard it is to buy a website when you don't have a credit card? (mine's US and all my current funds are in Ca) know what's funny. I got some money into my US account bought a domain on GoDaddy and they rejected it because my IP address was Canada but my paypal account was US. I have three CPUs that I should be able to cobble together to get one decent machine but I don't have the precision screwdrivers that I need.

I had a computer back home. It was decent. It barely ran portal but I managed on lowest settings to get like 12-15 levels in to the game. Up here I'm without. I've had to borrow and be on loan and when I thought I had a laptop the original owner eventually asked for it back so now I'm using.. a computer that looks like it was the height of technology in 1998. It's so bad I can't watch a youtube video. I thought that "MattyB sings Whip my hair" video was a slideshow. Seriously. I updated the version of VLC player from 0.6 to 1.X and now VLC won't playback videos. I switched to GOMplayer out of frustration and luckily that works... long as I'm not playing 720p+ videos. Part of the reason I'm 60 hours into DragonQuest IV is because I play a few battles whenever I'm at the computer waiting for something to load.

I lost my phone number that I've had since sophomore year of high school. I don't like changing phone numbers. It's the greatest thing to just have the same number, but since i'm out of the country my Dad couldn't justify paying for the number and since I'm not working here I couldn't pay for it myself.

My ex started talking to me again. Hadn't spoken to her since --- well basically a while ago she said she didn't want me to call anymore. This is a girl I'd known since roughly sophomore year again. She once told me her husband was a bit jealous and maybe that was why? Our mutal friend who lives in the ATL where I was took a roadtrip up to see her. Anyway she's in the army looking years younger and lbs lighter apparently
Edit: oh and single.. forgot that
, and she's kinda digging on me and I'm in Canada. She actually did jump training in Georgia at one point.

To a lesser extent it's annoying being away from my game library but maybe I shouldn't count that. I brought like 10-12 games with me including only 4-5 of which I had or was playing. Plus in my time here I've managed to buy Canadian versions of about 5-6 games but still while I was gone there was a flood at my Mom's basement which housed a large chunk of my stuff and I wasn't there to rescue any of it and my Mom and sister kept insisting that everything was just ruined and threw them away. Don't even have a catalog or listing :repressed memory:
Whoa.. i wonder if THAT's where my Guitar Hero Aerosmith for Wii is?

I used to live by myself. My family dynamic is complex and living by myself tends to be one of the ways in which I can avoid offending either half. Up here I'm living with my sisters and having a girl you're not sleeping with for a roommate has it's own issues. and to keep it simple it's been annoying, and it's getting me in trouble and that's not cool. I'd kill any one of you, go to jail, and suffer butt rape for the sake of my sisters but I haven't been able to save money for like 13-14 months because of them, and then they wonder at me why I don't go out and hang out with people and do such and such. I almost want to go out just to get away at times.

It's somewhat unreasonable but I'm growing anxious to cross the border. When I last did it over the winter I got hassled. When I did it two winters ago I got called a liar by the dude at the airport. My older sister once tried to vote in the US and was almost deported now she doesn't vote. I'm starting to develop a similar fear of crossing into the US. It's like being scared of being electrocuted when you put the key in the lock on your front door.

Ahh the internet, where TMI is a concept that noone gets.

My car got hit by a semi-truck that changed lanes without looking on the interstate after coming home from my cousins house. The truck didn't pull over and when someone called the cops with the tags they ran them to find out they were registered to a semi that had been reported stolen. Thankfully I walked away unharmed.

Probably the allergic reaction I had last night to cashews (first time I ever had them, I'm not a big nut fan but tried some at the advice of my doctor, as I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia). I thought I might die when my eyes were swelling shut and I had trouble breathing, had the chills, and nausea, and then collapsed on the wet pavement on the way to getting in the car to go to the ER. I also had another weird medical occurrence like that a couple years back where I had trouble breathing, nausea, and the chills as well. But that appeared to be dehydration and not an allergic reaction.

So, those two incidents when I was actually in fear for my life.

Worst thing in recent memory was having my wallet stolen in Barcelona right before going to Paris.

Details on the full story in my blog.

/shameless advertising

In my entire life however, I suppose when I nearly died from eating peanuts (allergic to them) but I was 3 at the time and didn't even know I was alive, so yeah. Wasn't scary for me but was probably awful for my mother.

and I was leaning towards the immediate fear of death but [quote name='thegreek']I got a bad haircut once. Life can be so cruel:([/QUOTE]
3127703319_9b9e1d8521.jpg

^_^

Anxiety attack after being bit by a cat at the shelter that was being watched for rabies. All the symptoms hit at once and I was sure I'd be dead by morning. The worst part is that I didn't care that I'd be dying, just that it was uncomfortable/painful.

Parents got divorced and my mom moved to Arizona when I was 11. Haven't talked to her since.

House burned down at 11:30pm New Year's Eve when I was 15. Rang in the new year watching everything I own get destroyed.

My dad had a bad stroke and died, the funeral was on my 25th birthday.

Spent a total of 80 dollars on a girl that was so lackluster that I drove 85 miles home slightly drunk.

I can't think of anything worse right now except Citi card closing my accounts last year "just because" and screwing up my system I had

On August 7th of this year my father lost his battle with cancer. THE toughest thing I've ever been through by far.

September 14th of this year my sister ALSO lost her battle with cancer. I was so devasted from the loss of my father (and I'm still reeling) that my sister's passing damn near pushed me over the edge.

September 20th of this year my girlfriend of 7 years told me she isn't happy anymore and that we should seperate. This was on the day of my sister's funeral.

F...M...L..

Life got scary for awhile; I'm not going to lie: Alcoholism reared it's ugly head, depression set in, and I purchased a gun for the first time in my life.

I owned the gun for a solid month, not knowing if I should end everything.

Then I realized: I'm awesome, I'm a good guy; everything happens for a reason. I like who I am and what I've accomplished, fuck everything else, I'm going on with my life and it's going to more amazing then ever before.

Now: I'm 28, dating a HOT college student, life is great and I've NEVER been happier. Of course I still miss my Dad and Sister SO much, but I keep their memories alive by continuing my dreams and aspirations, I know it'd make them proud of me.

Life is truly great. Don't let the "worst things" take it from you.

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']On August 7th of this year my father lost his battle with cancer. THE toughest thing I've ever been through by far.

September 14th of this year my sister ALSO lost her battle with cancer. I was so devasted from the loss of my father (and I'm still reeling) that my sister's passing damn near pushed me over the edge.

September 20th of this year my girlfriend of 7 years told me she isn't happy anymore and that we should seperate. This was on the day of my sister's funeral.

F...M...L..

Life got scary for awhile; I'm not going to lie: Alcoholism reared it's ugly head, depression set in, and I purchased a gun for the first time in my life.

I owned the gun for a solid month, not knowing if I should end everything.

Then I realized: I'm awesome, I'm a good guy; everything happens for a reason. I like who I am and what I've accomplished, fuck everything else, I'm going on with my life and it's going to more amazing then ever before.

Now: I'm 28, dating a HOT college student, life is great and I've NEVER been happier. Of course I still miss my Dad and Sister SO much, but I keep their memories alive by continuing my dreams and aspirations, I know it'd make them proud of me.

Life is truly great. Don't let the "worst things" take it from you.[/QUOTE]

Your ex-girlfriend of 7 years sounds like a dumb cunt. Who breaks up with someone on the day of their sister's funeral? Like she couldn't just pretend to be supportive for a couple of weeks or something until things calmed down a just a little?

In general though, what's the point of this thread? Everyone has their own hardships, some worse than others as evidenced by a few of the stories posted here, but what's the point? Just people venting? Group therapy? One upping someone else? Cool-story-bro time?

I bombed two classes this semester. I'm sure worse things have happened to me, but then again I can't easily recollect them -- so maybe this is indeed the worst.

[quote name='kodave']
In general though, what's the point of this thread? Everyone has their own hardships, some worse than others as evidenced by a few of the stories posted here, but what's the point? Just people venting? Group therapy? One upping someone else? Cool-story-bro time?[/QUOTE]

All of the above.

cohabitation with a woman that eventually lost her mind, as in severe mental illness set in over the course of a couple of years. At first I thought she was just fun and quirky, but it got to the point where she would be cutting vegetable and then try and lop off a hand because it became the tool of the devil or something.

Best thing ever? Kicking her out to her family because I couldn't deal with it anymore.

Being Idle is one of life's greatest tragedies. I really need to stop and say hello to someone

[quote name='kodave']In general though, what's the point of this thread? Everyone has their own hardships, some worse than others as evidenced by a few of the stories posted here, but what's the point? Just people venting? Group therapy? One upping someone else? Cool-story-bro time?[/QUOTE]yeah highly doubt there's an answer to this.

Edit better question is why we are all answering.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kodave']
In general though, what's the point of this thread? Everyone has their own hardships, some worse than others as evidenced by a few of the stories posted here, but what's the point? Just people venting? Group therapy? One upping someone else? Cool-story-bro time?[/QUOTE]

The internet isn't going to be kind to you, son. :(

[quote name='Strell']Eating a ghost pepper.

Oh man you guys, you don't even know.[/QUOTE]
I've been wanting to get one of those for a friend of mine, he loves hot food, I just want to see him choke on one.:twisted:

Certainly isn't the worst thing that's happened, but I was in a wreck once on the way to an accounting final exam, that sucked.

When I was 13 I went to the beach with my girlfriend and my mom ( please dont ask me why , because I dont know why my mom was there ! ) anyways....well after getting a little too close to my girlfriend i got a boner and it was super embarrassing because EVERYONE on the beach saw and it wouldnt go down ! I decided to just lay in the water till it left !

Super Embarrassing !!

P.S. I am not above the influence !

1. Breaking my leg after wrecking a 4-wheeler and flipping it when I was 12.

2. Almost drowning in a raging river when I was 10 after slipping on some loose stones. Had I actually not been able to grab onto something and had my friend not been with me to help me up, I would have been a goner. I did lose my shoes though. Walking a mile and a half through the woods in wet socks when it's 50 degrees outside isn't very fun.

Obviously the almost-drowning was worse than the leg-breaking.

[quote name='PopcornBandit']1. Breaking my leg after wrecking a 4-wheeler and flipping it when I was 12.

2. Almost drowning in a raging river when I was 10 after slipping on some loose stones. Had I actually not been able to grab onto something and had my friend not been with me to help me up, I would have been a goner. I did lose my shoes though. Walking a mile and a half through the woods in wet socks when it's 50 degrees outside isn't very fun.

Obviously the almost-drowning was worse than the leg-breaking.[/QUOTE]
Cheating death.

[quote name='PopcornBandit']1. Breaking my leg after wrecking a 4-wheeler and flipping it when I was 12.

Obviously the almost-drowning was worse than the leg-breaking.[/QUOTE]

when you think about the almost drowning do you still feel like it just happened? i came close to drowning in mud once whenever i think about it i can feel it scariest damn thing ever.

Worst thing that happened to me was having my father die when I was 9 and my sister was 6. I can attest to true love because I KNOW my mom loved that man. He died in 1982 and she still talks about him often.

Distant second would be being bed bound for 3 months because of ruptured disks in my back.

[quote name='Clak']I've been wanting to get one of those for a friend of mine, he loves hot food, I just want to see him choke on one.:twisted:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='seen']All these posts are missing something.....good storytelling.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. I wrote a whole story about the scenario I went through.

I'll dig it out.

If it involves coating your tongue in wax and some sort of messed up hallucinations, we've heard it.

I was 17 and thought I knew everything about everything and that life was just going to unfold for me. Then my mother died suddenly. She was taking care of my paperwork for ACT's, figuring out the paperwork for me to go to a technical school, and hadn't allowed me to get a job yet to concentrate on my studies. When she passed, it all went to shit. I stumbled through my last half year of high school and tried to just focus on becoming the things I thought I should be.

I went to sign up for courses and was told I need my parent's tax paperwork to see if I could get financial aid. I never ended up taking those tests and this was a private institution anyway so there wasn't really any kind of scholarships. My grades were good, just not top of the class. I found out my father hadn't been paying his taxes in recent years and right when the bills for mom's funeral came in....also did these thick envelopes from the IRS.

My father dealt with an audit that he's still paying off 13 years later. He had no money except to help pay for part time community college, which I also helped pay by getting my first job at 18/19 when all my friends went away to college. He couldn't afford it too long though and I was making shit money working jobs that 15-16 year old kids start with. My father? Racked up his first DUI, leased a brand new Ford Probe, 2nd DUI and messed up that car, paid to have it fixed, and then third DUI in which he totaled the car. That all happened within a 2 to 3 year span.

I spent the next 3 years (or thereabout) driving him to work in the morning, prepping for an AM class, going to work, and trying to see my girlfriend for a little bit before I went to pick him up from work. The house we lived in was falling apart and my father didn't seem to care. My girlfriend at the time was a manipulative mess and I stayed with her long after we realized we didn't like each other anymore. At that point, my self esteem was so far in the toilet I thought if she didn't want me I must be useless. My father somehow kept his job even with a short stay in the local correctional facility. So while my high school buddies were vacationing in Mexico, backpacking in Europe, and climbing a mountain somewhere I stayed behind in the mess left after my mother died.

So yeah, that's about the worst thing that ever happened to me. I hope this story-telling lived up to expectations, because I don't know how it reads but it was fucked up to live through.

[quote name='lokizz']when you think about the almost drowning do you still feel like it just happened? i came close to drowning in mud once whenever i think about it i can feel it scariest damn thing ever.[/QUOTE]

No, I don't still feel like it just happened when I think about but to this day I am very wary of any body of water and really don't like being near it. Showers excluded of course.

The worst thing that happened to me was 2009.

1. My mom got cancer (but she recovered with surgery).

2. My hours at work got cut in half last year.

3. My Car died and I had to buy a new one.

4. I got 2 different traffic tickets.

5. I had my worst bi-polar crash/meltdown/episode I've ever had. My medications suddenly didn't work, and I spent money on stupid stuff and was paranoid and could barely drive or function for 4-5 months. I suffered from halucinations. Missed 2-3 months of work. My mind was convinced terror was around every corner. I thought the mob was after me. I sincerely believed it was dangerous to go outside at night because of zombies. I was terrified of the dark. I lost all appreciation and interest in artistic activities. The best way to describe it is temporary schizophrenia. Even the most normal, mundane things were personal horrors. God wants me to perceive reality differently. The good news is, with the right medication, none of this is an issue and I'm "normal" like everyone else. Even though I have medication for it, I need to change medications and this happens on average 1ce every 6 years. In 6 years, my Dad might not be around to help me, and I'll be on my own...

Right now... Failing a class at Community College. Not bad compared to other stories in here, buts its the closest worst thing that can happen to me right now.

I almost died once from being too fat. True story. So I lost 100 pounds and now I'm super sexy. Turn the negatives into positives.

A few shitty things...

-Spending over a year applying for a job with the TSA (see my blog) , passing the interviews and other tests only to be disqualified in the end because of a mild case of asthma. Now I have to pay 200 dollars in medical tests and no government job :(

-Catching my ex- fiancée cheating on me with one of her co-workers she met at her new job. They were both like "we aren't doing anything wrong.." and my ex's excuse was "Because we weren't married yet...":puke: and the guy's excuse was "I know how you feel since my ex-fiancee did the same thing to me...." uhhhh ok..:whistle2:k Turns out she ended up marrying that guy this year #-o. Oh well good luck to that shit. I ended up being with someone else 100 times better! :D

-Being called down to the owner of the school I worked at and thinking I was being offered a position since I have been told a few weeks earlier that I was being considered for replacing the person I worked with for the following year(since she was leaving), only to be told that I was being laid off for the following year due to lower than expected student enrollment. :cry: Getting the laid off news is the worse news you can ever get on the job.

Growing up morbidly obese. I started getting heart problems when I was 18, but I lost 75 pounds (then I got a girlfriend & gained 25 back). I'm healthy now, though.

Getting really, really far into an amazingly competitive pre-employment process, then having one of the last steps not go through. Career of my dreams. Worked so hard to get there, then saw it all end based on one step outside of my control. Devestated. Couldn't eat for a couple of days, didn't want to talk to anyone. Was totally stunned because I thought I did everything great.

I had told my 3.5 year old son I would take him to the pool. On the drive there he asked me how my "race" was going. That's what we referred to it as while I was in the hiring process. I told him I tried really hard, but for some reason I didn't win, so the race is over. He pauses for a second and says, "Did you try as hard as you could?" I told him I did. Then he says, "Well, I'm really proud of you, and I love you". Maaaan, where all that came from, I do not know, but I won't lie, it had me in tears for the rest of the drive to the pool.

I'm still devestated that I didn't get the job, but I've at least come to grips with it. Will think of "what-if" for the rest of my life though.

bread's done
Back