Where Is _____ Hip-Hop Thread

He's a bit more in your face and hungry but his word choices are about the same (though he does have a bigger vocab).

Defenders Of The Underworld is an awesome comp, have you ever checked out the songs with him on Swollen Member's Balance album?

Just copped Blu & Exile's Below the Heavens from their label's site for $9.99 total.

Oh yea, FB, I got Raheem Jamal and few others to sign my Boombox CD.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']
Oh yea, FB, I got Raheem Jamal and few others to sign my Boombox CD.[/quote]

Oh yeah? Where did you see them at?

[quote name='fart_bubble']Defenders Of The Underworld is an awesome comp, have you ever checked out the songs with him on Swollen Member's Balance album?[/QUOTE]dood, Balance was one of my favorite joints in high school! I useta love Swollen.

but they go downhill with each record culminating at one of the biggest pieces of garbage I ever sent my money on, Heavy.

but I still bought Black Magic. I thought it was real dope until I realized Prevail does not know how to rap... dood's more incomprehensible than Camp Lo, but he comes off as if you're supposed to understand wtf he is saying. straight to the sell bin!!

anyway here is a recap of sunday:

I dont sleep much... I live all alone so after work I gotta put in hella effort to keep myself alive and shyt. Sunday is supposed to be the day I sleep the fuck in, but I was with my mom over the weekend and when I told her I wanted to go to a show sunday evening she made me wake up early for church.

with that said I had a massive headache that day, I took medicine it didnt help... and I didnt have time to nap coz I had a bunch of other crap to do.

still... DITC... I have to do it...

so I get to the venue around 5:30pm and the atmosphere is dope! EVERYBODY dancing, cyphers goin on EVERYWHERE for doods to jump in a bust a move... ppl hanging out all by themselves dancing alone.

Unfortnately this also means mad BO which doesnt help make my illness any better. as a matter of fact it is getting worse and worse...

I watch the dance competitions and it's dope! Soul Purpose comes on followed by Trpple 7. I aint heard of either of these cats. One Be Lo follows and his set is like 8 songs long... short but satisfactory. The crowd isnt really into the concert stuff btw since most of them are jus for the dancing.

The b-boy finals then proceed followed by a not so short wait for DITC to get on stage. This whole time I'm getting worse, I wanna leave and throw up, I wanna go to sleep, but I'm like NO! DITC, chance in a lifetime, I gotta watch! I'll leave after their set.

they finally come on and it's incredible! I'm really enjoying their performance! Diamond D is not there, so only AG, OC, and Lord Finesse. It's ok since it's rather proportional to the amount of their material I am familiar with (as opposed to seeing Boot Camp live and leaving disappointed coz OGC aint with them). By the time their set is over I am feeling all better!!

so u see this shyt?!?! I love this hip-hop shyt man! hip-hop heals the sick and makes you feel all better, lol! Best home remedy ever!

so since I'm feeling better I decide to stick around and catch Slick Rick, best decision ever. I was rite up front and his performance was incredible! I wont get into too many details, but this is prolly one of the greatest assets to my bragging rights in regards to live shows!

pics:
1264073554_a860b58dbe.jpg
1263216243_48649d2c92.jpg
1263215733_8100b83685.jpg
1263214549_c6c82ad7a3.jpg
1263214179_db31a70b84.jpg
1263213751_3255648c75.jpg

I tried to take a lot of pictures but these were the ones that came out best. Taken with my phone as usual, I'd say pretty damn good considering cameras were not allowed in the venue.

Also I wanna say that there were MAD GIRLS up in there! I mean like, I thought I was at a point in my life when girls arent that attractive anymore... now I'm like fuck that man I'ma step my dance game up lol!! I'll definitely be back next year

edit:

oh yes, album of the day is:

511TD4NVK1L._AA240_.jpg

I am a younger generation fan of hip-hop so I am not the most familiar person when it comes to old skool type of stuff. But as a person who loves the culture, I try to do my homework as much as I can. I have listened to this record like twice back in college like 2 years ago so I cannot remember it too well at all. What I do remember was being extremely impressed from listening to it tho! There was no mystery in my mind why this record is held as one of the best albums in hip-hop music.

Plus his influence on other emcees is so heavy... not only in rap music too. Everybody is always regurgitating his stuff in their music. A true classic I need to dig up and give another listen.

[quote name='JEKKI']dood, Balance was one of my favorite joints in high school! I useta love Swollen.

but they go downhill with each record culminating at one of the biggest pieces of garbage I ever sent my money on, Heavy.

but I still bought Black Magic. I thought it was real dope until I realized Prevail does not know how to rap... dood's more incomprehensible than Camp Lo, but he comes off as if you're supposed to understand wtf he is saying. straight to the sell bin!!
[/quote]

Yeah,I totally agree. Balance and Bad Dreams are easily their best albums with Monsters In The Closet and Heavy blowing big floppy donkey dick.

I kind of like Black Magic, its not great and it is a shadow of their self when they first came out but its not flat-out bad either. Prevail has never bothered me as his "style" hasn't changed over the years.

I AM pissed about the way they treated Moka Only though, the dude is money and they really fucked him over with his album. But atleast he's back to being a workaholic like he was when before he hooked up with Battle Axe. I'm still hoping he hooks up with Kirby Dominate again to do another Dominate Mammals album.

[quote name='fart_bubble']Oh yeah? Where did you see them at?[/QUOTE]

Wasn't lucky enough to meet 'em, just asked them to do it when I ordered the CD online.

@Jekki: Nice dude, I've been meaning to get to some shows lately. I used to listen to Slick Rick's "Children's Story" a lot, so much that it got played out in my head haha.

Dude still wears the eyepatch. It's his signature I guess, like Flavor Flav and his Clock ;)

yo mang if u wanna go to shows then I got one rite here:

camp_lo_flier_anaheim.jpg

it's hella close to where I useta live,

I'm going going back back to orange county orange county.

but it's at a club tho... and I hate clubs!!

AND it's in Garden Grove, which means there's gonna be hella skank vietnamese bitches up in there!!

I mean... unless you're into that kind of thing, but I am soooooooo over that.

Anyone check out the new 'Public Enemy' album yet?

51y9vm2jd6L._AA240_.jpg

'How Do You Sell Soul to a Soulless People Who Sold Their Soul?'

I just got it and I'll let you guys know what I think about it. :) I didn't even know this came out until today, but apparently it's been out since August 7th! How did this one pass me by?

P.E. doesn't even try to market their albums anymore... their last one, 'New Whirl Order', was a Best Buy exclusive for awhile and was very slept on. In fact I even passed it by. But I'll let you guys know what I think about this after I give it some time?

album of the day!

41QNV2YWQNL._AA240_.jpg

This record was released back when if your album was not classic, then it at least had one classic song on it. This record falls in between the two.

As I was searching for this record I had discovered he actually released an album this April, wtf?!?! That makes four albums from an emcee most of u guys prolly never heard of(??). I got the first two, the second one is very good as well. Still... this dood's dope, classic east coast hip-hop street shyt.

A standout track would be one of his singles, Masta IC, which is unfortunately not on youtube altho I think I got the video on my computer somewhere...

another standout track is Time to Build. This album was released in 95 and this song features a younger Jay-Z and Ja Rule. Way before Veni Veti Vicci, Ja Rule sounded dope on this track!!

actually when Ja came out I thought he was real dope, especially with songs like this:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blcrxxRHPcQ[/media]

I never bought his debut tho... but we all kno where his career went... it doesnt take a fan of rap to know that, lol.

that song is pretty fresh! I finally checked out the interview.

I've read a lot of bad interviews, so yours aint that bad at all,

but my problem with it is that it's not very deep and seems to serve as an introduction to the readers about who the person is and what he does.

But again, as a person who's never even heard of the dood before it really doesnt matter since had it gone deeper I woulda just been lost in the material. The only part that really lost me is the mentions of Stronghold who is also a crew I never heard of.

Still, I hope he gots stuff on emusic coz I'll definitely check him out if he does.

album of the day:

41CPNW6XK6L._AA240_.jpg

When I spotlighted Lord Finesse's album I said you have many better options for old school music. This album, released in 1991, is one of those better options.

Doods came out of the same Native Tongues camp with Tribe & DeLa & all of them, but their rhymes were more focused on taking real life situations and making them sound funny. Lots of songs about social interactions with grls, booze, etc make this record a very playful and enjoyable one! A lot of old school hip-hop fans tend to include this record in their favorite albums lists.

Black Sheep is the fucking shit and A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing is an all-time classic. And if you do like them, make sure you check out Y'all So Stupid.

also want to say that I'm still waiting for the new BS album that is supposed to come out sometime this year thoughMista Lawnge's album is surpriseing in it self

[quote name='JEKKI']that song is pretty fresh! I finally checked out the interview.

I've read a lot of bad interviews, so yours aint that bad at all,

but my problem with it is that it's not very deep and seems to serve as an introduction to the readers about who the person is and what he does.

But again, as a person who's never even heard of the dood before it really doesnt matter since had it gone deeper I woulda just been lost in the material. The only part that really lost me is the mentions of Stronghold who is also a crew I never heard of.

Still, I hope he gots stuff on emusic coz I'll definitely check him out if he does.

album of the day:

41CPNW6XK6L._AA240_.jpg

When I spotlighted Lord Finesse's album I said you have many better options for old school music. This album, released in 1991, is one of those better options.

Doods came out of the same Native Tongues camp with Tribe & DeLa & all of them, but their rhymes were more focused on taking real life situations and making them sound funny. Lots of songs about social interactions with grls, booze, etc make this record a very playful and enjoyable one! A lot of old school hip-hop fans tend to include this record in their favorite albums lists.[/quote]
Thanks for reading and the suggestions. Black Sheep is definitely a good music to listen to but I just want to correct one thing is that they are not old school because they were released in the '90s era. Not a big deal but old school would be Curtis Blow or Audio Two.

ah yeay you're right.

I remember at last year's Rock the Bells, De La Soul made a clear distinction as to what's considered "old school" era and what is considered "classic era", altho wikipedia appears to have its own timeline classifications:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_age_hip_hop

but whatever... old school new school dont matter... it's all about TRUE SCHOOL~!!

and I doubt I'll be seeing Camp Lo tonite... I'm sick and I hate clubs, and I donno what to do between now and going there that will not encourage my exhaustion...

[quote name='headpiece747']Thanks for reading and the suggestions. Black Sheep is definitely a good music to listen to but I just want to correct one thing is that they are not old school because they were released in the '90s era. Not a big deal but old school would be Curtis Blow or Audio Two.[/quote]

QFT

I can't lie, I'm probably one of the biggest Afrika Bambaataa fan's you'll run across and Cold Crush amd Whodini is still the shit after all these years. Bambaataa is still and will always be the best fucking dj of all-time. And though I do have to admit that they are starting to feel its age (this was second hand listening obviously since I'm 82 but Bambaataa was the first record I remember buying with my own money. Planet Rock will always be a sentimental favorite of mine).

Oh shit, I don't know if anyone remembers them (though Jekki, headpiece and rapsodist should) but Bored Stiff's new one came out.

video for Media
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzj7YbgKaKc[/MEDIA]

[quote name='fart_bubble']Oh shit, I don't know if anyone remembers them (though Jekki, headpiece and rapsodist should) but Bored Stiff's new one came out.

video for Media
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzj7YbgKaKc[/quote] This is why I love this thread it reminds me of hip-hop that I haven't heard in awhile. That's a dope song from Bored Stiff and Afrika Bambaataa, DJ Kool Herc, Grand Wizard Theodore, Grandmaster Flash, Grandmaster Caz and all the other forgotten hip-hop djs will always have a special place in my heart because they started this music/culture I love so much.

Too much love in this reply so fuck 50 cent buy Kanye suckers to shut Fiddy up.

Been meaning to mention this but Natural Self aka Keno 1 has released a new 12". Contains two bad ass remixes, one of Keith Murray's Poppa Large and the other is a remix of Alice Russel's Fly In My Hand. It will run ya 11.50 plus shipping from www.turntablelab.com

[quote name='headpiece747']This is why I love this thread it reminds me of hip-hop that I haven't heard in awhile. That's a dope song from Bored Stiff and Afrika Bambaataa, DJ Kool Herc, Grand Wizard Theodore, Grandmaster Flash, Grandmaster Caz and all the other forgotten hip-hop djs will always have a special place in my heart because they started this music/culture I love so much.

Too much love in this reply so fuck 50 cent buy Kanye suckers to shut Fiddy up.[/QUOTE]

:lol: I'll only buy Kanye's new one if it's $9.99 or less somewhere. I've listened to the album and I don't really like it, but I'll probably still buy it for collection purposes.

[quote name='fart_bubble']Been meaning to mention this but Natural Self aka Keno 1 has released a new 12". Contains two bad ass remixes, one of Keith Murray's Poppa Large and the other is a remix of Alice Russel's Fly In My Hand. It will run ya 11.50 plus shipping from www.turntablelab.com[/quote]
Nice find but have to wait until I get my HipHopSite vinyl. Trying to make a mix right now and my levels on my computer were too high so the whole thing is too loud and distorted. Damn this VODKA!

[quote name='fart_bubble']Oh shit, I don't know if anyone remembers them (though Jekki, headpiece and rapsodist should) but Bored Stiff's new one came out.

video for Media
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzj7YbgKaKc[/QUOTE]sorry... never heard of those doods before :( like, never ever...

but I really dig that song tho, enough to make me wanna get that album.

I've only read up on those legendary pioneer DJs and stuff... never really experienced them for myself...

I only started listening to rap in like 93 or 94... Warren G the Regulator got me into it... from that point on everything lead to another...

[quote name='JEKKI']sorry... never heard of those doods before :( like, never ever...

but I really dig that song tho, enough to make me wanna get that album.

I've only read up on those legendary pioneer DJs and stuff... never really experienced them for myself...

I only started listening to rap in like 93 or 94... Warren G the Regulator got me into it... from that point on everything lead to another...[/quote]

wow, they got played all the time in the mid to late 90's on 107.5 out of Chicago (wish I was able to find a copy of Timeless back then, there is no way I can afford it nowadays). Its the first album with all of them together in 10 years. Also want to say the song with Del is pretty sick (though really the whole album is fucking sick)

[quote name='fart_bubble']wow, they got played all the time in the mid to late 90's on 107.5 out of Chicago (wish I was able to find a copy of Timeless back then, there is no way I can afford it nowadays). Its the first album with all of them together in 10 years. Also want to say the song with Del is pretty sick (though really the whole album is fucking sick)[/QUOTE]what songs do they have, maybe one of them may be in a distant memory of mine...

but I had cousins from the Bay which had a great influence on how I see music from that area,

I wouldnt even think of Hiero tho... they used to play Mistadobalina and 93 til Infinity on SoCal radio before I even knew there was a Del or Souls of Mischief... I just knew the songs...

so when I useta think of Bay Area hip-hop I always thought about Too Short, E-40, Luniz, Dru Down, Richie Rich, Rappin 4-Tay, etc.

I still needa get Jazmatazz 4... I aint too fond of Solar after Street Scriptures but I should give him a second chance

[quote name='JEKKI']what songs do they have, maybe one of them may be in a distant memory of mine...

but I had cousins from the Bay which had a great influence on how I see music from that area,

I wouldnt even think of Hiero tho... they used to play Mistadobalina and 93 til Infinity on SoCal radio before I even knew there was a Del or Souls of Mischief... I just knew the songs...

so when I useta think of Bay Area hip-hop I always thought about Too Short, E-40, Luniz, Dru Down, Richie Rich, Rappin 4-Tay, etc.

I still needa get Jazmatazz 4... I aint too fond of Solar after Street Scriptures but I should give him a second chance[/quote]

The songs I remember the most from them are Peaceful Rotation, Therapy and Conspiracy Theory (off the hard to find but very dope Bay area comp called Rules Of The Game).

Don't think I posted this yet:
Freestyle 101: Pigeon John

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8gjVfymvB8[/MEDIA]

I wish I could embed other sites then youtube because I have so many videos that are better quality.

I gotta say I popped in Kweli's latest on Saturday and was really pleased how the final product came out. Like he's silencing a lot of critics with this one.

I think in the future I almost gotta wait for the final album to drop... so I can get the full embodiment of the sound without hearing the rough version.

What a great summer overall for hip hop though.

any fans of STYLES OF BEYOND?!?!?!

album of the day:

31X9K0H2W9L._AA240_.jpg

the term "classic" is used rather loosely around hip-hoppers, but so is the term "underground classic"

eff it! I'ma declare 2000 Fold and underground classic!!

maybe I'm biased coz they rep San Fernando Valley, where I was born.

I dont care, this shyt is good music, dope emcees, and witty lyricism about being broke and playing video games!!

I useta hella listen to this in HS.

their followup cd, Megadef, which was released after they broke up and regouped lol is a great release as well! One of my favorites that came out in the year it came out.

the reason I chose to highlight this album is coz they released a mixtape recently, and I listened to it today... and it's HOT!!!

and it's FREE too!!

link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razor_Tag

Oh nice I'm a big styles fan and had no idea that mix tape was out. Good lookin out jekki hope it's as good as the DJ green lantern fort minor mix tape.

51y9vm2jd6L._AA240_.jpg

You guys might be wondering how Public Enemy's new album stacks up... I wrote a review:

3.5 stars (out of 5)
Public Enemy is one of the greatest rap groups of all time. If you consider yourself a hardcore fan of hip-hop then you will definitely have some of their albums in your collection. However, their latest release, 'How You Sell Soul...', is an intriguing and enjoyable listen, but falls below the standards expected from the legendary group.

'Public Enemy' was one of the rap groups I've grown up listening to. I've loved most of their work throughout their glory years, but skipped their last few albums (if you're a new fan, pick up Power to the People and the Beats: Public Enemy's Greatest Hits because it expertly chronicles their amazing career).

While Chuck D is as good as ever here, Flavor Flav definitely brings down the entire album. I would have preferred a solo album by Chuck D instead of having Flavor Flav put in here for no reason. He used to be the hype man of the group, and once did a great job doing that, but there is little chemistry between the two here. It almost feels like Chuck D recorded the album himself and someone tacked on Flavor Flav's parts at the last minute. Also, the solo tracks from Flavor Flav, such as 'Flavor Man', may sound decent at first but they grow old very fast. If nothing, they should have at least taken those off the album.

Although the group feels very disjointed as this point in their career, there are many quality tracks on here. The opening track, 'How You Sell Soul to a Souless People Who Sold Their Soul?' is a highlight, and many of the following songs such as 'Escapism' and 'Can You Here Me Now' (which has a very dope beat) have great lyrics.

However, while some of the beats are nice and unique, many feel low-budget and generic. In the early days of their career, Public Enemy put out some of the best-produced albums of all time, but you won't find the creative production of 'It Takes a Nation...' or 'Fear of a Black Planet' here.

Also, several tracks might have sounded good in concept (Sex, Drugs & Violence (feat. KRS-One) is a good example), but in reality they come off as corny tracks with a neat concept and good lyrics but failed execution.

Sure, it has some bumps in the road, but Public Enemy's latest effort is still worth picking up. Although I criticized this album heavily in my review, there are many aspects that make it worthy of the P.E. legacy. However, the album as a whole comes off very flawed and disjointed. Also, the lyrical content here is strong (though again not as good as their glory days), and in this day and age in hip-hop it's good to hear Chuck point out legitimate problems in our society (as well as the modern hip-hop industry).

3.5 Stars
Stand-out tracks: 'How You Sell...', 'Escapism', 'Can You Hear Me Now'?

I'm curious to see what anyone else who heard this thinks of the album.

Stones Throw comp feat. new material from J Dilla, Madlib, MF Doom, Q-Tip, Talib Kweli, Quasimoto

CD/LP COMING OCTOBER 2

Stones Throw president Peanut Butter Wolf has compiled B-Ball Zombie War, to be released October 2nd.

B-Ball Zombie War features new collaborations by Talib Kweli, Q-Tip and MF DOOM over beats by J Dilla, as well as new tracks by Madlib, Guilty Simpson, Aloe Blacc, Koushik, MED and Guilty Simpson among others. New names are introduced, including Karriem Riggins and Madlib’s group Supreme Team.

The release of B-Ball Zombie War will be followed by two nationwide tours: Common, Q-Tip and Percee P in September, and a Stones Throw showcase including Madlib, Peanut Butter Wolf and J Rocc beginning in November.

TRACK LIST

01. SUPREME TEAM (MADLIB & KARRIEM RIGGINS) - See (Suite)
02. MED - Break It Down
03. GUILTY SIMPSON - Make It Fast
04. J DILLA feat. Q-TIP & TALIB KWELI - Lightworking
05. PERCEE P feat. J.ROCC - Legendary Lyricist Pt. 2
06. J.ROCC - Super Sound
07. MADLIB - The Wigflip
08. J DILLA feat. MF DOOM & GUILTY SIMPSON - Mash’s Revenge
09. OH NO - Action (Rap Version)
10. BEAT KONDUCTA - Trouble
11. QUASIMOTO - Hydrant Game (Jaylib Remix)
12. ALOE BLACC - Find A Way
13. DAM-FUNK - Sidewayz
14. BARON ZEN - Electronic (Koushik Remix)
15. JAMES PANTS - Ka$h (Peanut Butter Wolf Remix)
16. NIKO & DJ BABU - Now You Know
17. KOUSHIK - Basketball Beat
18. ARABIAN PRINCE - Professor X Saga
19. JONATHON BROWN - Bass Creator’s Groove
20. CX KIDTRONIK feat. TCHAKA DIALLO - Big Girl, Skinny Girl

each track produced by the artist, except #2 produced by Just Blaze, #3, 7, 11 produced by J Dilla, #5 produced by Madlib, #14 produced by Koushik, #15 produced by Peanut Butter Wolf

That sounds...pretty fucking hot. :drool:@the Dilla tracks.

[quote name='Rozz']
51y9vm2jd6L._AA240_.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I jus checked emusic, it's up on there and my downloads have reset!!

prolly get it with that CL Smooth mixtape,

but they aint got new WC on the site... I wanna hear that one the most

[quote name='JEKKI']I jus checked emusic, it's up on there and my downloads have reset!!

prolly get it with that CL Smooth mixtape,

but they aint got new WC on the site... I wanna hear that one the most[/quote]

I also reviewed that shit:

51imCz-BzKL._AA240_.jpg

3.5 Stars

I was a huge fan of last year's 'Laugh Now, Cry Later' by Ice Cube. Not everyone was a big fan, but I really enjoyed the lyrics and production on it. That being said, even though I havn't bought any WC albums in the past, I was excited to hear 'Guilty by Affiliation' because it's the second album on Ice Cube's 'Lench Mob' label.

Lyrically, you've probably heard this album before. If you've listened to any West Coast gangsta album ever, you've heard everything that's been said here. However, WC's and the deliveries of featured artists like Ice Cube, the Game, and Snoop Dogg are impeccable and show that even these West Coast vets still have it in them.

The production and beats are great as well. This is the type of album you have to blast to get the full benefit of listening to it, and once you hear songs like 'Keep It 100', 'Look At Me', and 'Crazy Toones 4 President', it'll be hard not to.

WC didn't fill this one up with guests, but the ones here do a great job. I was especially surprised by 'The Game', who adds greatness to 'West Coast Voodoo'. I might actually pick up an album by 'The Game' after hearing his remarkable job on here. Ice Cube's flow is still great as well, but his lyrics aren't nearly as good as on his last release.

If you're looking for something new, 'Guilty by Affiliation' isn't for you. But if you've ever enjoyed a West Coast hip-hop album in the past then definitely pick this one up.

This makes me want to see what Ice Cube has in store for future releases on his record label.

Since JEKKI doesn't have an album for the day, I give you mine:

reeltoreel.jpg

One of the greatest hip hop albums of all-time. This was one of my favorites to pop into my walkman while I skated. No bad songs on it and it really holds up after 15 years. And though he went to a position of behind the scenes doing production work, I would love to see him release another album.

Don't forget...

'11th Hour' by Del will be here in less than month.... October 2nd...

I'm pretty fucking stoked! Though I doubt it'll live up to the classic 'Both Sides of the Brain', I hope it's good. It's been a dissappointing year, after all... maybe this will brighten it up.

bread's done
Back