Where were you when you first heard about the 9/11 attacks?

GuilewasNK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
I remember I was at work at the college, and my sister called me for her job to say a plane had flown into the WTC. I didn't think about it being anything other than an accident at first. Then later the UPS driver came in and said another hit. After that we got online and started finding out more. When I found out the Pentagon was attacked I was concerned because I have a lot of family that lives in DC and some of them work for the government and no one knew what was next. Thankfully they were ok, but I remember not being able to sleep at all that night.

Woke up early in the morning cuz we had been given a PS2 as an early Christmas present so I was playing some Tekken Tag tournament before school. Then some commotion on the news that I didn't care about. Then at school more people freaking out and watching TV. Had to do hardly any school work so that was great. Went home and was pissed that our good TV was in use still watching this exploding building so I had to go use the shitty little black and white TV to continue playing Tekken Tag. I made it to Ogre and then lost. It was a sad day : (

seems this has been the topic of discussion for the past few days everywhere , online , at work and so on....

but to answer your question, I was working at target in the electronics department being bothered by co-workers to let me use a cell phone that I did not have.

I was at school in 1st grade, and then they turned on the tv in the class room to the news. Later my dad picked me up from school early and we went home.

I was faking sick to stay home from school. I also faked sick on the days of Columbine, and the OKC bombing. I was at home for a lot of tragedies during my childhood.

Ugh, what is it with people still jerking this stuff? How long are americans going to beat this dead horse?

Yes yes yes, it was a bad thing but jesus everyone sheds a fake tear and tries to pass off faux heartfelt sincerity over this every damned day anymore. The problem is this is americas first real tragedy inflicted from foriegn soil so we use it as a way to get attention, kind of like the little kid that loses his tooth and he has to make sure he is running around constantly showing off his lack of tooth in some pitiful attempt at being noticed. Only our tooth is 2 missing buildings and instead of pestering people for days we do it for years and years. Its our way of feeling relevant because in reality we arent.

The funniest thing we all act like we are the victims, like we were the innocent ones that were wounded, we want to feel like we are righteous and superior so we say the phrase "9 11" and talk about how horrible it was in this vapid way. We want to think were all just a babe in the woods here when in fact 9 11 was our fault and we deserved it. How many decades had america been in the middle eastern countries bombing them, driving tanks down city streets, marching soldiers through villages, occupying their land, making fun of middle eastern people in our media and society, looking down our nose at them and such? We have killed and destroyed by far more of their country and people than 20 911 attacks would have and then we act surprised when they hit us back. Its like the bully at school crying to the principal because the freshman he picked on for years finally had enough and kick his ass for bullying him around. We have been F'ing around in the middle east since regan and we have been outright attacking them since george bush sr. We have no business being over there, but we stuck our nose in their territory, smacked them around, laughed and then was shocked when they destroyed the towers. Big surprise, you slap a dog enough eventually that dog will bite you and do it hard. So americans need to stop act like they are innocent when that whole fiasco was our fault and we deserved it.

American people need to stop thinking negative stuff so much and let this go. Far as terrorist attacks go we got off lucky compared to some other countries that are constantly being attacked, but you dont hear them bitching and moaning a decade later do you? Its like some sickness, you can not go one day in this country without hearing someone say 9 11. They cant let it go and try to think more positive things, they let it negatively impact everything.

Its been 10 years, give it a rest already. What exactly is the point of saying "Oh where were you when the attacks happened 10 years ago?" Im being serious, what possible good could come out that? 911 has been so damned publisized and run into the ground there is nothing left to say. Why does recounting the same old shit thats been said thousands of times? Who cares what someone was doing when they heard the news? Why does it matter?

Im dreading it though because this is all we will hear about for the next 3 months. More country music assholes will be singing how awesome it is to be an american and how the terrorists are the bad guys, tv spots, commericals and so on. I havent been able to even listen to NPR lately because they wont shut up about the attacks.

So dont sit around reminiscing about this like you all were personally invested in this and like you really care. Because you dont in both cases. Its just some generic, kneejerk response people give anymore. 9 11 has become a catch phrase for pop culture where its commonplace to bring it up and spout out mindless and brainless remarks like "support our troops!" and running around shouting USA with your flag bumper stickers. People talk about it like they have some real insight or care but they dont. Go outside and do something with your family instead of sitting inside on a forum pretending to be all hurt to a bunch of other fakers.

[quote name='gargus']Ugh, what is it with people still jerking this stuff? How long are americans going to beat this dead horse?

Yes yes yes, it was a bad thing but jesus everyone sheds a fake tear and tries to pass off faux heartfelt sincerity over this every damned day anymore. The problem is this is americas first real tragedy inflicted from foriegn soil so we use it as a way to get attention, kind of like the little kid that loses his tooth and he has to make sure he is running around constantly showing off his lack of tooth in some pitiful attempt at being noticed. Only our tooth is 2 missing buildings and instead of pestering people for days we do it for years and years. Its our way of feeling relevant because in reality we arent.

The funniest thing we all act like we are the victims, like we were the innocent ones that were wounded, we want to feel like we are righteous and superior so we say the phrase "9 11" and talk about how horrible it was in this vapid way. We want to think were all just a babe in the woods here when in fact 9 11 was our fault and we deserved it. How many decades had america been in the middle eastern countries bombing them, driving tanks down city streets, marching soldiers through villages, occupying their land, making fun of middle eastern people in our media and society, looking down our nose at them and such? We have killed and destroyed by far more of their country and people than 20 911 attacks would have and then we act surprised when they hit us back. Its like the bully at school crying to the principal because the freshman he picked on for years finally had enough and kick his ass for bullying him around. We have been F'ing around in the middle east since regan and we have been outright attacking them since george bush sr. We have no business being over there, but we stuck our nose in their territory, smacked them around, laughed and then was shocked when they destroyed the towers. Big surprise, you slap a dog enough eventually that dog will bite you and do it hard. So americans need to stop act like they are innocent when that whole fiasco was our fault and we deserved it.

American people need to stop thinking negative stuff so much and let this go. Far as terrorist attacks go we got off lucky compared to some other countries that are constantly being attacked, but you dont hear them bitching and moaning a decade later do you? Its like some sickness, you can not go one day in this country without hearing someone say 9 11. They cant let it go and try to think more positive things, they let it negatively impact everything.

Its been 10 years, give it a rest already. What exactly is the point of saying "Oh where were you when the attacks happened 10 years ago?" Im being serious, what possible good could come out that? 911 has been so damned publisized and run into the ground there is nothing left to say. Why does recounting the same old shit thats been said thousands of times? Who cares what someone was doing when they heard the news? Why does it matter?

Im dreading it though because this is all we will hear about for the next 3 months. More country music assholes will be singing how awesome it is to be an american and how the terrorists are the bad guys, tv spots, commericals and so on. I havent been able to even listen to NPR lately because they wont shut up about the attacks.

So dont sit around reminiscing about this like you all were personally invested in this and like you really care. Because you dont in both cases. Its just some generic, kneejerk response people give anymore. 9 11 has become a catch phrase for pop culture where its commonplace to bring it up and spout out mindless and brainless remarks like "support our troops!" and running around shouting USA with your flag bumper stickers. People talk about it like they have some real insight or care but they dont. Go outside and do something with your family instead of sitting inside on a forum pretending to be all hurt to a bunch of other fakers.[/QUOTE]

thank you! .... Now I do respect our troops..but in no way I see them as "Heroes" because they are sent to fight and die just so we can establish a strong military presence in the middle east to get that oil in a few years. That's what it is about. Like I have said before, we have money to invade other countries and piss them off even more, yet we don't have the money to fix our own problems nor do we have money to finish the damn rebuilding project.

At the time I was living at home, working the evening shift at the local UPS hub loading trucks. My mom woke me up at about 7:30 am PST (very early for me given that I worked until after midnight most nights) and told me that the World Trade Center was gone. I didn't understand what she meant until I went downstairs and saw the news on the TV. Yup, they were certainly gone. The Pentagon strike was in some ways more significant for me because up through the end of 1999, my Dad worked there. If he had decided to stay in the Navy through his 30 years, he would've still been working there on September 11th. I'm not sure if his section was among the affected.

Quite the wild 10 years for me. Marine Corps enlistment, living in Okinawa, deployment to Iraq, college, reentering the Marine Corps to try and become a pilot.

[quote name='gargus']Ugh, what is it with people still jerking this stuff? How long are americans going to beat this dead horse?

So dont sit around reminiscing about this like you all were personally invested in this and like you really care. Because you dont in both cases. Its just some generic, kneejerk response people give anymore. 9 11 has become a catch phrase for pop culture where its commonplace to bring it up and spout out mindless and brainless remarks like "support our troops!" and running around shouting USA with your flag bumper stickers. People talk about it like they have some real insight or care but they dont. Go outside and do something with your family instead of sitting inside on a forum pretending to be all hurt to a bunch of other fakers.[/QUOTE]

how can you say it was the first attack... i guess you never heard of anything called peral harbor??

yea normal people going to work deserve to die ....

its been 10 years you say stop beating a dead horse well then why do you still go out on your birthday then its been more then 10 years so why do you even have one anymore.

about the usa in the middle east , im still waiting for the fallout of libya when we find that NATO made a hell of a mistake . yes the dictator was EVIL but it was one person who controlled it... now wait when the bloodbath starts when all of the rebels demand they be put in charge of it ..

people who post crap like this are probally teenager or early 20s and think they know everything . in fact they just repeat crap they see off cnn and other so called major new newtworks and think its their idea

now back to the point...

I was in class i had no idea what happen. the teacher walked in and go its going to be a very bad day.. I though maybe something happen on campus (fight , stabbing ect) i never knew what happen till i got out of class at 1020 and got to a tv right before that one tower came down a little over 1030... I will admit when i saw that happen i fell down and couldnt get up for a good 10 mins, i couldnt belive all of those people were killed in that fraction of a second...

little over topic but if i recall right (maybe misheard this from someone) wasnt there a flash of light before the towers came... someone told me a few days later that flash of light took all of the people out of the towers right before they fell , that is why you really never found bodies just pieces .... though it might of been someone said to make them feel better but i cant remember anymore

if you can watch this and not start to tear up when you see those buildings come down then your coldblooded and i really feel sorry for you..

one thing i do like this year is they are reading the name of the people who died in 93.... it seemed like they were just lost to time but at least now they are getting the respect they should of years ago

now back to the point

why do we do this every year.....
ITS TO RESPECT THE DEAD
simple and to the point

For me, I was in 7th grade, 2nd period Social Studies / History. I don't recall being effected in any particular way, but I don't remember getting much done the rest of the day as far as school was concerned.

On my couch. It was fall of my senior year of college and I'd slept on the couch as I had a cold and it was easier to prop up on the couch. So I heard when I woke up and heard it on the news. It was in between the first and 2nd plane hitting the tower.

Rest of the day I just watched the news, other than having to run into one class to turn in a paper.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Hey gargus, fuck you.[/QUOTE]

shut up, your gonna get the thread moderated!

[quote name='slidecage']how can you say it was the first attack... i guess you never heard of anything called peral harbor??

yea normal people going to work deserve to die ....

its been 10 years you say stop beating a dead horse well then why do you still go out on your birthday then its been more then 10 years so why do you even have one anymore.

about the usa in the middle east , im still waiting for the fallout of libya when we find that NATO made a hell of a mistake . yes the dictator was EVIL but it was one person who controlled it... now wait when the bloodbath starts when all of the rebels demand they be put in charge of it ..

people who post crap like this are probally teenager or early 20s and think they know everything . in fact they just repeat crap they see off cnn and other so called major new newtworks and think its their idea

now back to the point...

I was in class i had no idea what happen. the teacher walked in and go its going to be a very bad day.. I though maybe something happen on campus (fight , stabbing ect) i never knew what happen till i got out of class at 1020 and got to a tv right before that one tower came down a little over 1030... I will admit when i saw that happen i fell down and couldnt get up for a good 10 mins, i couldnt belive all of those people were killed in that fraction of a second...

little over topic but if i recall right (maybe misheard this from someone) wasnt there a flash of light before the towers came... someone told me a few days later that flash of light took all of the people out of the towers right before they fell , that is why you really never found bodies just pieces .... though it might of been someone said to make them feel better but i cant remember anymore

if you can watch this and not start to tear up when you see those buildings come down then your coldblooded and i really feel sorry for you..

one thing i do like this year is they are reading the name of the people who died in 93.... it seemed like they were just lost to time but at least now they are getting the respect they should of years ago

now back to the point

why do we do this every year.....
ITS TO RESPECT THE DEAD
simple and to the point[/QUOTE]

*sigh*

My sister, my brother and I were getting ready for school (I was in 8th grade) and we turned the TV on as usual. Every local channel was reporting that a plane had crashed into one of the towers and as I was watching the other plane crashed into the other tower. I took the bus to school and I think we watched the news in every single class period that day.

I clicked on this thread thinking "I bet gargus posts in here"... I was not disappoint.

He seriously thought that September 11th was the first foreign attack on United States soil.

I don't know why everyone takes him so seriously.

My wife had gotten off the night shift and called to wake me up. Told me to turn on CNN. I watched it, and then went to college. No one there could concentrate and everyone was on the internet trying to follow the news. We were let out of class.
I remember being shocked by the events but not really emotionally paralyzed. I'd still like to vist New York and see first hand what happened. (I know there's nothing left of the devestation)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slidecage']how can you say it was the first attack... i guess you never heard of anything called peral harbor??
[/QUOTE]
This man is a master.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/09/11/flight.security.disturbances/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

this is what 9/11/2011 brought us...paranoia

look if you have to take a shit and it takes you 20 mins, leave it be!! We all have been in that situation where we had to be in the bathroom for more than 5 mins! heck I've been in situations where I had to take a nasty dump several times on a flight because of the food...this was pre 9/11 of course

I was in junior high 6th grade (im 20 now about to turn 21). in class, and after school ended, my class was sent to the auditorium and we werent allowed to walk home alone. we had to be picked up.

i lived in Maspeth NY, and had to walk over a skywalk above the long island expressway. I saw the smoke. very scary moment

I woke up about 11 am PST, turned on the TV noticed a lot of channels were off the air, flipped channels until I saw the WTC footage, and said "Oh shit...". Living in a nothing town on the US map, I proceeded to call work to see if we were still working, found out we were still on, then proceeded to get ready.

I was asleep (since I had to work at 11am) when the first plane hit. My dad woke me up and said "you have to come see this" and right when I got in the living room the second one hit.

I was at work selling cell phones at a Sprint store when a client came in and said a plane had crashed into a building, I thought it was a pilot error until the second plane hit, what a fu**ed up thing that should have never happened, fu*k you Osama hope you're getting ass raped in hell.

high school in between classes. was pretty weird, left early to go home to be with my family.also, slidecage vs gargus? we need a seperate thread for that awesomeness.

I was at college that day, there was actually a bomb threat and the campus was evacuated. Heard the news on campus and headed home.

I was watching it live and in person. Maybe if you don't live in the NYC area you can dismiss it 10 years later as "beating a dead horse" or whatever but that's bullshit. Tell that to my neighbor - her husband died in the attack and her now 10 year old daughter never knew her father and her son still can't talk about it. Something that impacts your life - get this - actually impacts your life whether it is one year, ten years or 50 years later.

I was oblivious until I got home from class. Kids at college were whispering about people jumping off a building, so I knew something was up but not to the extent of when I finally flipped on the TV. I can't really remember if they had already collapsed by then or what because the whole thing is kind of a blur.

I was on my way to a class at college and my wife called to tell me what was transpiring after the 1st plane hit. The professor in the class I was heading to was an a-hole.

Me: "Have you heard about the World Trade Center?"
Prof: "Yeah, too bad for them."

[quote name='Javery']I was watching it live and in person. Maybe if you don't live in the NYC area you can dismiss it 10 years later as "beating a dead horse" or whatever but that's bullshit. Tell that to my neighbor - her husband died in the attack and her now 10 year old daughter never knew her father and her son still can't talk about it. Something that impacts your life - get this - actually impacts your life whether it is one year, ten years or 50 years later.[/QUOTE]
Why doesn't the death of my dear sweet dog get news coverage every year? It deeply impacted my life :(

I was working at Blockbuster video. Someone came in the store told us about it. We were able to get the TVs in the store flipped over to the news. It wasn't busy so we were glued to the news all day.

I remember a lady coming into the store, crying while talking on the phone. She rented a couple movies and came up to check them out (still crying). She had a late fee and I felt so bad that I had to tell her that she had to pay it. If I could I would've just got rid of it but I couldn't. I felt like a jerk...

And it didn't dawn on me until a little latter but I remembered my mom was flying to NY that same day. Her flight got grounded but I nearly had a heart attack when I realized she was supposed to fly that day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in my office at the time, I often had the CNN.com on with live feed and this was one of these days, when the news came across that there was a plane crash, I mentioned it to my co-worker who's desk was about 5ft from mine and facing me, "A plane just crashed into one of the towers of the WTC in NYC" at first we both thought what a freakish accident, but soon realized it was more when when the second plane struck as we both watched online. Suddenly everything changed for our office, at the time we had a couple people on flights that day. See our office was a federal program that pr ovided services to the entire country and we routinely have people flying. We were however fortunate to have all our co-workers get home safely over the next few days.

I was researching previous attacks against America in the 80's and 90's by Osama bin Laden, and how the U.S. retaliated by ignoring the reasons that he stated for the attacks and by attacking civilians in an attempt to kill him.

I got home from work at about 3:30 am, I worked a weird shift from 7p - 3a. First thing I did was pop in Madden. I remember taking a break and watching the news after the first plane hit. Channel 7 originally said there was an internal fire within the building. I went back to playing Madden figuring it would be all over the news later that day. A few moments later, I turned off my PS2 and went back to the news and now they were saying it was a plane that crashed. I figured it was a small plane and dismissed it. I went to school later that afternoon after catching some Zs. I remember the professor who was palestinian was VERY afraid of being attacked since most Americans would automatically assume she was one of "them." thankfully we set her mind at ease and she let us out early.

In school.

I was pulled aside by the school counselor who informed me of what happened and told me that she got a call from my stepfather(who was supposed to make a delivery there that day) saying that he was okay. He got caught up in traffic luckily and didn't arrive there yet.

I remember it clearly. I was in 7th grade, algebra class. I'm now 22.

A lot of the kids didn't quite understand what was happening, myself included. It was overwhelming.

My best wishes to all those affected by this disaster.

Pearl Harbor.. ? Yeah... That was Japanese. We kinda deserved it then too....

[quote name='gargus'] in fact 9 11 was our fault and we deserved it.[/QUOTE]

That's for sure.... Also, we lost how many here? How any people have lost their live over there or any where else in the world?

I was 6 at the time, but I can easily remember being at my Fox News obsessed grandmother's house when the shit hit the fan. I didn't care then and I still don't care now. To quote Joseph Stalin: "One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic."

inb4 rage
inb4 selfish prick
inb4 >Fox News

[quote name='Oaxan']I was 6 at the time, but I can easily remember being at my Fox News obsessed grandmother's house when the shit hit the fan. I didn't care then and I still don't care now. To quote Joseph Stalin: "One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic."

inb4 rage
inb4 selfish prick
inb4 >Fox News[/QUOTE]

So you're 16 now... I can't imagine you give a shit about anything really. Pretty standard for 16 year olds.

On a related point there have been a lot of articles in the media about how people like this poster and others his age are supposed to process 9/11 since they were too young to really grasp the significance of what was going on that day.

But even further, I've been wondering... How long until 9/11 is treated like Pearl Harbor is normally treated every year? (This year is the 70th Anniversary of the attacks so I suspect it might get a tiny bit more coverage.) Most of the time its just a blip on the news come December 7th every year, treated as almost a "fun fact" or maybe a clip of a government official laying a wreath at a memorial.

How long until 9/11 is just a blip on the nightly newscast? How long until its just a page in a text book on a chapter for the War on Terror?

I'm not equating 9/11 as the same as Pearl Harbor because I think there are many differences in the effect the two attacks had on the nation, but overall I think the two attacks had profound effects on the nation as a whole.

So how long until we forget 9/11 like we forgot Pearl Harbor?

[quote name='Javery']I was watching it live and in person. Maybe if you don't live in the NYC area you can dismiss it 10 years later as "beating a dead horse" or whatever but that's bullshit. Tell that to my neighbor - her husband died in the attack and her now 10 year old daughter never knew her father and her son still can't talk about it. Something that impacts your life - get this - actually impacts your life whether it is one year, ten years or 50 years later.[/QUOTE]

Well said... I can't believe some of the posts in here. Why don't you tell the victim's families that their dad, mom, or children deserved to die.

Back on topic, I was on my way to take the road test to get my license at around 9am. I had heard on my way to the testing site that a plane had crashed into the WTC. I was nervous about my test though, so I turned the radio off, dismissing it as just a small plane. After I passed my test and turned the radio back on, I heard about the disaster. I lived in an 11th floor apartment in the Bronx, so when I got home, I could see the smoke coming from Manhattan. The scariest part was trying to get in touch with my friends and family to make sure they were all ok and not knowing until much later that day that they had made it out of the city.

Probably not the same person but we did a story about a kid who was born a few months after the attack, he lost his father never knowing him. It really got to me. Made me think of the grief my wife and daughter would go through if that was me.

I also can't believe some of the posts I'm reading. Why do kids think it's cool to be insensitive?

[quote name='kodave']
So how long until we forget 9/11 like we forgot Pearl Harbor?[/QUOTE]

Pearl Harbor had the benefit of a very clear resolution with Japan's surrender in 1945. We aren't going to get that from Al Qaeda or any other organization. The rise of nuclear weapons pretty much saw the fall of conventional nation vs. nation armed conflict. That isn't to say that it doesn't happen but the scale is miniscule compared to what it was during the Second World War.

Another factor is age. The kids in this thread who insist that it was no big deal were just that, kids. Those of us who were adults in 2001 and were in fact affected by the events and continue to be, understand why it is a big deal.

Ken Burns produced his World War II documentary, "The War" partially because it was getting to a point where the remaining veterans of the war were getting very old and passing away in large numbers. Likewise, when those of us who are 30, 40, or 50 now start to die, we will take that firsthand historical record with us and the remembrances will necessarily shrink. It isn't a good or bad thing, it's just the way things go. Thankfully there are those who have recorded and will continue to record what happened and how we felt as a nation.

I was a freshman in highschool and was in a materials science class. I forgot what was taught in the class, but I distinctly remember the teacher talking about a small plane which had hit the empire state building a long time ago. I then went to my electrical engineering class and soon after the class had started, my teacher got a text message from his girlfriend saying a plane had hit the WTC. We all went online to see if there was anything on the news, but all the sites were overloaded with traffic and none of us could get through. We went to the classroom next to ours where they were watching the news and we all saw the second WTC get hit as well. We were all glued to the TVs until we were all called to the auditorium where they announced the news to us and also said there would be an early dismissal that day. We went back to class and there on TV we saw the towers collapse. My mom came to pick me up early and I remember seeing a huge amount of smoke in the air (I was living in NJ a few minutes from the GWB). It took a while to get home as some streets were closed because thats where the highjackers supposedly lived. We saw a ton of people walking across the GWB into NJ. When we got home, i was glued to the TV the rest of the day.

I was playing Diablo II. Exited the game and the lobby was all people talking about Osama Bin Laden, and I knew exactly who he was having watched an hour long news story on him about a week prior.

Still had no clue why everyone was talking about him, but my aunt called and told me to turn the news on because a plane hit the building. Right when I turned it on I saw the second plane hit, thinking it was a replay of the first until I noticed the other building was smoking. Whatever my aunt was saying I can't remember to this day, but right when I hung up the towers fell.

My mom got home from the supermarket and said everyone in the store was on their phones. She didn't find out until she got in her car and it was on the radio.

I was in my college apartment; I had an early summer class and would wake up before 6am. Saw the 2nd plane crash and the pentagon in flames and then went off to class. I didn't know what to make of it at the time. I never imagined terrorists would hijack planes to use them as missiles nor would such a thing happen on US soil.

A classmate who wasn't aware of the events asked me what happened. I described how there was a large gaping hole in each of the towers. That stood out to me the most because you don't expect a tall building to be standing with a big chunk of the building gone (it wasn't until afternoon when I got back to my apartment and learned how both towers fell)

It's something I'll always remember just because of how it changed our nation. I watched the History channel with the Bush interview.

I was in 9th grade.. we started to watch the news on the classroom TV. I don't remember anything else. I think that's when my desire to fight terrorism really began.

bread's done
Back