Which CAGs are Christians?

[quote name='daroga']I'd be curious to know where there are passages that would refer to a captilist society as being sinful (or at least the trimmings of it). There is condemnation of charging interest on loans to those in need, especially with fellow Jews (Christians). In other words, not take advantage of a brother or sister in need. Much of the OT civil law was set in place to protect a person like this, along with the expansive (and at times complicated and confusing from a cultural perspective) kinsmen redeemer laws. The spirit of the law is thus, that we should look out and help our neighbor in any and all things. I don't think capitalism by necessity involves taking advantage. Profit isn't wrong; gouging is.

And you're dead on with hamartia. To sync up with James, God demands perfect bullseye every time. Anything that's not that is a complete failing.[/QUOTE]

Good to see I can remember something (regarding hamartia); that theology class was in 1993. :lol:

Now, as for capitalism specifically, it is not outlawed. I'm merely extrapolating capitalism as sinful from two sources: (1) Bible passages prohibiting usury, as well as the Catholic church's historical prohibition of participating in capitalism (as evidenced by those social patterns found by Max Weber in his excellent text, "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism).

In the case of Weber, briefly, he found that European areas that developed capitalism were dominated by Protestant sects (particularly Pietists and Calvinists), and *never* dominated by Catholics. There was a reason for that; he argues that the benefits accrued through capitalism (in accordance with a hardcore work ethic, of couse - idle hands and all that) were the one telltale sign of God's favor in the eyes of Calvinists (who, just as a general reminder, believed in predestination). Catholics did prescribe to the tenets of not profiting from economic interactions (whether money-for-goods or general bartering). This was a general historical rule for centuries (which is also how we end up with the "moneygrubbing Jew" stereotype; with no religious prohibition on moneylending, they were the only ones who could reasonably do it without offending their diety). Later on, the rule became modified in social circles to continue to prohibit usury/profiting in one's community circle, with exceptions being made for inter-community trade.

If you haven't read Weber's book, I highly recommend it, especially given your religious convictions. It's also an excellent example of how social patterns develop on a large scale due to the repeated patterned actions of individuals who identify as collectivities (Protestant versus Catholic, in this case). It's an excellent historical document. I'd also recommend Emile Durkheim's "Suicide," which describes suicide patterns in nations based upon national religious identity (he finds that nations with higher proportions of Catholics have lower rates of suicide when compared with predominantly Protestant nations).

Daroga, what are your opinions on the books of the Bible that are left out. I'm talking about the Book of Jubilees, and the Gospels of Mary and Thomas. I understand why the Council of Nicea wanted them out of the Bible but can't Christians come to some sort of an agreement now that we've advanced out of the Dark Ages. The Ethiopian Bible still includes many of the banned texts and I don't exactly see Ethiopia as a hotbed for sin and debauchery.

[quote name='depascal22']Daroga, what are your opinions on the books of the Bible that are left out. I'm talking about the Book of Jubilees, and the Gospels of Mary and Thomas. I understand why the Council of Nicea wanted them out of the Bible but can't Christians come to some sort of an agreement now that we've advanced out of the Dark Ages. The Ethiopian Bible still includes many of the banned texts and I don't exactly see Ethiopia as a hotbed for sin and debauchery.[/quote]Maybe of those apocryphal writings are late forgeries that came about long after the people who supposedly wrote them. The clearest means to exclude these books from the canon of Scripture is that most (I won't say all as I've not studied every one in depth) contain false doctrine. If it doesn't jive with the Old Testament and the New Testament, it is to be rejected.

The so-called gnostic Gospels (such as the "Gospel of Judas" made famous by The DaVinci Code) embrace and extol a secret knowledge (gnosis). Paul began to combat what we might call a proto-gnosticism in his epistles where it was creeping in. The Apostle John, as he lived longer than the others (~90-100 AD) directly fights against this gnosticism.

What makes gnosticism so horrid? It's a teaching that excludes some; only the "special" people who know the true secrets know what real Christendom is all about. So then the "unenlightened" feel that they are forever following a false religion because they're not "in the know"; whereas the enlightened will follow a religion that contradicts the Bible.

John makes it clear in his Gospel that "These words are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, and that by believing you may have life in his name." There are no secrets in Christianity. There's no hidden meaning or agenda to the Bible. It's message is clear as day--forgiveness by God's undeserved love alone. Anything that clouds that or contradicts that is to be rejected.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Blah, this should be moved to vs. now that all this discussion about the bible is going on and not the OT.[/quote]Yeah, it's headed in that direction. Let's try to divert it back a bit.

To the fellow Christians out there, do you have a favorite verse/chapter/book of the Bible?

I think the verses I come back to most often arr in Psalm 46, especially v. 10, "Be still and know that I am God."

the one verse I will never forget and easiest to remember (though I don't know its location):

Jesus wept.

I find alot of humor in that verse due to its length, but it's also powerful.

[quote name='daroga']Yeah, it's headed in that direction. Let's try to divert it back a bit.

To the fellow Christians out there, do you have a favorite verse/chapter/book of the Bible?

I think the verses I come back to most often arr in Psalm 46, especially v. 10, "Be still and know that I am God."[/quote]

Lots of Proverbs for me. Especially Proverbs 17:17..."A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity."

Rolento, you verse is found in John 11:35. Funny how it's one lots of people remember.

[quote name='seanr1221']Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Jesus never condemned homosexuality at a time when it was running rampant.[/quote] Someone said dont lie with a man as with a woman back in the day, dont know if that was Jesus or one of his buddies.

If we stick with the OT, then it'll just be a roll call of people and their denomination. Sounds very boring to me. Besides, I don't see any vs debate going on here. There aren't a group of Protestants threatening to blow anything up. And the Catholics haven't bloodied the place up with any stinking Inquisitions so far.....

[quote name='depascal22']If we stick with the OT, then it'll just be a roll call of people and their denomination. Sounds very boring to me. Besides, I don't see any vs debate going on here. There aren't a group of Protestants threatening to blow anything up. And the Catholics haven't bloodied the place up with any stinking Inquisitions so far.....[/quote]Yet. ;)

But yeah, some talk is fine. But some of the debate we were getting into is probably better suited for the VS forum

[quote name='depascal22']If we stick with the OT, then it'll just be a roll call of people and their denomination. Sounds very boring to me. Besides, I don't see any vs debate going on here. There aren't a group of Protestants threatening to blow anything up. And the Catholics haven't bloodied the place up with any stinking Inquisitions so far.....[/QUOTE]

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inqusition!!!

Okay, sorry for that. Couldn't help myself.

edit:
To keep it on topic,
here's my testimony once more:
http://zatos.parodius.com/index2.html
Non denominational for me, I didn't go to a church, just studied the bible.

[quote name='daroga']Yeah, it's headed in that direction. Let's try to divert it back a bit.

To the fellow Christians out there, do you have a favorite verse/chapter/book of the Bible?[/QUOTE]

Proverbs 3:5-6. I try to live my life by those two verses, but sadly I end up failing more often than not.

bread's done
Back