Which PS1 games still hold up?

ZForce915

CAGiversary!
Feedback
112 (100%)
Lets make a list. Pick your top 5 PS1 games that still hold up today, something you'd pop into your PS3 and play even though the pixels are HUGE.

One one caveat though. Your list can only have one RPG on it.

GO!

Silent Hill
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
Metal Gear Solid
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee

only 1 RPG? lame..that's mostly all i played on the PS1 era

Final Fantasy 7
Crash Bandicoot: Warped
Resident Evil 3
Fear Effect
Crash Team Racing

[quote name='Supreme0ne']only 1 RPG? lame..that's mostly all i played on the PS1 era

Final Fantasy 7
Crash Bandicoot: Warped
Resident Evil 3
Fear Effect
Crash Team Racing[/QUOTE]

The idea is for you to think about the PS1 library, it would be easy to say FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, Star Ocean and Xenogears.

My general rule of thumb for PS1 is that 2D games hold up well in the looks department and 3D games do not.

- Disgaea
- Ico
- Capcom vs. SNK 2
- Fire Prowrestling Returns
- Dragon Quest VIII

[quote name='Puffa469']My general rule of thumb for PS1 is that 2D games hold up well in the looks department and 3D games do not.

- Disgaea
- Ico
- Capcom vs. SNK 2
- Fire Prowrestling Returns
- Dragon Quest VIII[/QUOTE]

Um, those are all PS2 games.... :lol:

My list:

-Tomba!
-Tomba 2: The Evil Swine Return
-Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
-Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
-Chrono Cross (I would've picked Legend of Mana, but I enjoyed CC a bit more)

PS1 . . top 5 for me . .

Resident Evil 2
Metal Gear Solid
Castlevania SOTN
Rayman
Wipeout

Yes I know no RPG's here . . granted i liked FF7 & FF9. But my fav FF is #6 . . . I can play that one many times thru just for the stroy alone!!!

[quote name='Gameboy415']Um, those are all PS2 games.... :lol:

My list:

-Tomba!
-Tomba 2: The Evil Swine Return
-Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
-Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
-Chrono Cross (I would've picked Legend of Mana, but I enjoyed CC a bit more)[/QUOTE]

Ha! lol, I'm at work so I'm not devoting 100% to this, I swear Im not an idiot!

With that said:

- Castlevania Symphony of the Night
- Wipeout XL
- Final Fantasy VII
- Oddworld
- Gran Turismo 2

Making only 1 RPG does change the list and ignore many PSOne games that hold up well (at least graphically).

Castlevania SOTN (Obvious choice because sprites from the game are still used today and game design is also consistent)
Mega Man 8
Einhander (or any of the working designs / spaz shooters)
Suikoden 2 (not my fav RPG on the console, but totally replayable and doesnt suffer from the graphics problem that other PSOne games have)
Toshinden 1 (unique choice, not a good game now, but the music is still amazing and it reminds me why I initially chose a PSOne over a Saturn, U R NOTE because ENOS lives)

The problem with the PSOne is the same issue with the Genesis and N64. The graphics of many games just dont hold up well. The genesis has the grainy problem where some games look dirty. The PSOne, with the polygon rush made a chunk of its library look awful. The N64 fog effect ruins some games now. These issues help some consoles, like the SNES (many games aged better than PSOne, N64, Saturn, and DC polygon based games) and the Saturn, with its wide variety of sprite based games instead of 3d focus (not to mention the capcom / marvel vs. ports still look amazing today and trump most sprite based efforts of the Ps2 / XBX / NGC era).

What's more fun is to think of the games that hold up the worst. I remember being floored by the original Tomb Raider when I first got it. Me and my friends were amazed by everything about it. Now, wow, it looks terrible and probably controls even worse.

Crash Bandicoot 2
Crash Bandicoot Warped
Crash Team Racing
Spyro the Dragon
Gran Turismo 2
Any Final Fantasy or Final Fantasy collection on PlayStation
Metal Gear Solid
Tekken 3

Not 5 choices or 1 RPG, but these I am still willing to play.

Wild ARMs (beautiful 2D graphics during exploration-- shame about the battle graphics)
Metal Gear Solid
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Street Fighter Alpha series
Rally Cross (crazy physics system, you spend most of the time flipping all over the place but it's fun anyway)

I'm gonna break the rule and list 5 RPGs that held up well:

Suikoden II
Dragon Warrior VII
Thousand Arms
Star Ocean II
Grandia

[quote name='2DMention']Dragon Warrior VII[/QUOTE]

Uh what, that game looked dated on release. I mean the gameplay is solid and fun (like all the DQ games) so if you are saying that is why you chose it then that's fine, but graphically it looked terrible.

As for my list, I'm not going to be able to do it using just 1 RPG, in fact I think they will all be RPGs since I can't really name a non-rpg that I don't think has aged dramatically:

• Chrono Cross - Just really amazing vibrant colors on everything and amazing backgrounds.
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Castlevania games still use a somewhat similar style.
  • Vagrant Story - The models are a little blocky, but the game has a lot of character and style (I especially like the speech bubbles).
  • Final Fantasy IX - The last in the series to come out on PS1, so not surprising it is the most visually impressive, like Vagrant Story it also has a great style to it.
  • Alundra - A 2D game but I really liked the sprites and environments.

Urg was Chrono Cross that good? I gave up on it maybe 10 hours in. Something about it just felt wrong for me.

I believe it just wasn't Chrono Trigger, If it was named anything else I most likely would of gave it more of a shot.

[quote name='Denbo32']Urg was Chrono Cross that good? I gave up on it maybe 10 hours in. Something about it just felt wrong for me. [/QUOTE]
I hated Chrono Cross. The story didn't make any sense to me and I couldn't find a single likable character among the 50 or however many that it throws at you.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']What's more fun is to think of the games that hold up the worst. I remember being floored by the original Tomb Raider when I first got it. Me and my friends were amazed by everything about it. Now, wow, it looks terrible and probably controls even worse.[/QUOTE]

I tried to play Tomb Raider II a couple of years ago. I remember this as being one of my favorite PS1 games back in the day.

It does look terrible, but I was expecting that, what I didn't remember were the AWFUl controls.

Theres an obstacle course out back of Croft Manor in the game, and I rememebr doing speed runs through the course to unlock something back in the day. I wrestled with the ridiculous controls and couldn't even finish the course, let alone get a good time. I had to turn it off in frustration.

[quote name='icebeast']Uh what, that game looked dated on release. I mean the gameplay is solid and fun (like all the DQ games) so if you are saying that is why you chose it then that's fine, but graphically it looked terrible.

As for my list, I'm not going to be able to do it using just 1 RPG, in fact I think they will all be RPGs since I can't really name a non-rpg that I don't think has aged dramatically:

• Chrono Cross - Just really amazing vibrant colors on everything and amazing backgrounds.
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - The Castlevania games still use a somewhat similar style.
  • Vagrant Story - The models are a little blocky, but the game has a lot of character and style (I especially like the speech bubbles).
  • Final Fantasy IX - The last in the series to come out on PS1, so not surprising it is the most visually impressive, like Vagrant Story it also has a great style to it.
  • Alundra - A 2D game but I really liked the sprites and environments.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but the game play and story are still fresh, that's why I picked it.

These are my favorite PS1 games...

Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy VIII
Spyro(1 - 3)
Tony Hawk Pro Skater
SaGa Frontier 2

Runner up for the top 5: Crash Team Racing

Does anyone know where I could find a copy of Xenogears at? I want to do eBay but I'm afraid of paying too much for a copy...

Pretty much any sprite based game (Alundra, Suikoden 1 & 2, SotN, Lunar SSSC & EBC, the Final Fantasy collections) hold up just fine. Some others I've recently replayed also hold up just fine: Chrono Cross, Xenogears, and MGS.

[quote name='2DMention']I never knew until now, but ALL PS3s play PS1 games, right?[/QUOTE]

Yeah.

Hm. I'll skip the big ones like SotN and Crash Team Racing.

Top Shop
R/C Stunt Copter
Silhouette Mirage (I don't think I ever figured this one out, though.)
Tomba 2
Wipeout XL

There are some others that I suspect would hold up well, but didn't play enough to be sure about, like Heart of Darkness, Carnage Heart, Bushido Blade, Einhander, Thunderforce V, and Samurai Zan.

Lastly, Tail of the Sun is /every bit as good/ as it ever was.

Apocalypse_starring_Bruce_Willis.jpg

I wanna share the Tomb Raider pain, I tried played Last Revelation on my PS3 not long ago and I couldn't even get past the young lara tutorial before I had to quit forever. I can't believe I ever thought that was playable, let alone good.

Legend of the Dragoon not being the one RPG on anyone's list makes me sad, had a lot more fun with it then FF7 personally, looks a lot better graphically wise as well.

[quote name='Ibramgaunt249']Legend of the Dragoon not being the one RPG on anyone's list makes me sad, had a lot more fun with it then FF7 personally, looks a lot better graphically wise as well.[/QUOTE]

Because it's a POS compared to the many better RPGs on PS1. Sure, it's decent enough, but it's not in the same league as Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Suikoden 2, Vagrant Story, FFT, Parasite Eve, Grandia, the Lunar games...

Hell, I liked Legend of Legaia more.

Clock tower.
Tenchu.
Fear effect.
Castlevania symphony of the night.
Twisted metal 2.
Vandal hearts.
Irritating stick.
Metal gear solid.
Crash bandicoot.
Armored core 2.
Tekken 2.
Norse by norsewest.
Einhander.
Spyro the dragon.
Soul blade.
Ape escape.
Brave fencer musashi.
Lucky luke.
Wipeout.
Jumping flash.
Silverload.
Oddworld.
Intelligent cube.
Alundra.
Deception.
Tobal 2.
Kings field.
Spider the video game.
Ehergeiz.
Juggernaut.
Omega boost.
Resident evil 2.
No one can stop mr domino.
Wild 9.

And for my rpg: Suikoden.

(made without looking at anyone else's choices)(awesome topic idea btw)

(in no particular order)

1. Strider 2 (count Strider 1 if you want, it comes in the package)
2. Castlevania - SOTN (actually playing this *again* on PSP)
3. Klonoa (yeah, the Wii version is prettier but I don't have that around at the moment)
4. Final Fantasy Tactics (also playing again on PSP)
5. Mortal Kombat Trilogy (mostly 'cause I'm psyched for the upcoming reboot)

Castlevania SOTN
Suikoden 1
Suikoden 2
Final Fantasy Tactics
Silent Hill 1 despite being ugly still scares the shit out of me.

Castlevania SOTN
Lunar SSS (tough choice for 1 RPG)
Resident Evil 3
Metal Gear Solid 1
Street Fighter Alpha 3

Honorable Mentions
Parasite Eve 1
Parasite Eve 2
Intelligent Cube
Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legaia
FF VII
FF VIII
FF IX
FF Tactics
Vagrant Story
Resident Evil 1
Resident Evil 2
Lunar 2
Silent Hill
Jet Moto
Alundra
Crash Bandicoot 1-3
Spyro 1
Dino Crisis 1
Tekken 3

vagrant story
final fantasy tactics
tomba
metal gear solid
front mission 3
castlevania sotn

-honorable mentions
incredible crisis
devil dice

I've got a few which I still own and most probably haven't played:

Rising Zan: The Samurai Gunman
UmJammer Lammy
Buster Bros. Collection
Cybersled (probably doesn't still hold up, but its damn good!)

And for three that I am sure everyone has played:

Twisted Metal 2
Suikoden II
Pocket Fighter

Someone a few posts above mentioned Incredible Crisis, and that games a blast. Highly recommend giving that one a try. Wish I didnt trade mine in.

bread's done
Back