Why the SNES turns yellow

botticus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
Found this on GoNintendo, very interesting read.

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/189

Summation for those who don't want to read the whole deal:
“The plastics most commonly used to make the structural cases for electronic equipment are polypropylene, impact styrene, and ABS,” replied Deanin. “These all tend to discolor and embrittle gradually when exposed to UV and/or heat. They become oxidized and develop conjugated unsaturation, which produces color. They crosslink or degrade, which causes brittleness.”

The one I have now and the one I had in the past look as good as new, I have seen a few in game shops and several on ebay that have a yellow stained look to them that made me wonder.

Mine was packed up for awhile and when I pulled it out, the one piece was completely yellow. Only the top piece, not including where the cartridge inserted, changed. Everything else still looked brand new. I always thought that was odd.

Generally from the halogen and Fluorescent lights you know the one that we all use at our desktops, work benches, production sites, and kitchens, schools, and any place where we need to see something not stained in yellow.

They produce UV rays that is able to start fires and these types of lights produce a small amount of radiation that is not big enough to harm a person but in large number might be able to tip the scale on a radiation detector.

[quote name='jshendel']I always thought the yellow used systems were from smoke filled houses...[/quote]

Ive never smoked, nor does my family smoke and the bottom of my snes is yellow. Nintendo mustve used better plastic for the snes jr. tho, cos I have one of those as well and it still looks brand new.

Mine has never been in a smoker's house and it has never been under flourescent light. Only the one piece turned yellow and that was while it was packed a way for awhile, so I'm guess that one piece of plastic was made of a different composition than the rest.

weird. i bought my SNES towards the end of its lifecycle and its never turned yellow. but its always been somewhere dark and cool. either in the basement or den.

I had one with a yellowed top and one with a yellowed bottom. Thusly, I took 'em apart and now have one REALLY ugly SNES and one that actually looks decent save for a few cracks in the case which weren't my fault.

It's a monster, I say! A MONSTER!

Interestingly, neither the top loading nor front-loading NES have had issues in my house. Odd.

LOL, I made up this excuse to explain the coloring when I eBayed my yellow SNES a month ago.

Please keep in mind that the system and games are nearly 15 years old, and thus should be expected in used condition. The Super Nintendo console has been affected by "yellowing," however this is not because the SNES is dirty or contaminated. During development, in order to cut development costs of the SNES, Nintendo decided to use a cheaper plastic during production. Because of this, Super Nintendo consoles are susceptible to the "yellowing."

You're all wrong...it's the special rare 'Gold Edition' SNES!!!

Just Kidding...wasn't there a post some time ago about someone on eBay selling one as a 'Limited Edition'? It was the funniest auction read ever.

Both of my SNES systems - one heavily used and one like-new - are both yellowed.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']My SNES, bought on its launch day, has no yellowing.[/quote]Ditto.

Intereting article, botticus.

Interestingly enough, some of the the 80s Strawberry Shortcake and My Little Pony communities have done fairly intensive research into plastics and vinyls discoloration as long ago as 1995. One of the big SSC collectors went so far as to hire a synthetics lab for 'unbiased' studies.

I've had my SNES since 1993 and it's still as grey as the day I bought it. Come to think of it though, I've rarely stored it in a place where it was exposed to lots of direct light.

The OP is completely right sometimes certain systems yellow faster than otheres. I knew this because of shoes I don't know if you ever have seen old white shoes but the midsole usually yellows very badly, same things happen to the SNES over time, Some don't some do just the way it goes.

Of the three SNES systems of picked up (2 of which I've sold recently) One was yellowed on the top half, the second was yellowed almost the exact opposite, and the third, which I still have, is not yellowed at all.

I think I am going to paint mine one of these days. I think someone here painted their Genesis blue and it was awesome looking.

i have an NES that was horribly yellowed, i went to target got me some krylon paint and sprayed the top half of the disassembled NES i think it turned out great, the color is almost identical.

“These all tend to discolor and embrittle gradually when exposed to UV and/or heat.

Ah, Which is why mine is still brand new/white to this day. Ive always had it out of direct light. Neatly in a entertainment system.

The chances are good that the yellowing is being caused not just by the plastic used, but also by the grade of that plastic. Differing lots of plastics will have different qualities.. to say nothing of the percentage of regrind being run. Which is to say, of two machines made on the same DAY, one could yellow and the other never yellow. Plastic is funny like that.. very touchy in strange ways.

Tonythetrigger

bread's done
Back