Wii $250 - Nov 19th - The Nintendo 2-Day Press Event Thread!

"2:16 a.m. EST [update 13]: Gemaga reports Wii Sports will not be a pack-in game, but will cost 4,800 yen and include five sports games."

Uhh... wtf....

2:16 a.m. EST [update 13]: Gemaga reports Wii Sports will not be a pack-in game, but will cost 4,800 yen and include five sports games.

anyone think this makes they NY Times article lose its credibility?

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']its more like 32 and 15, still way too much. 47 for a complete controller is insane...if this info is correct they have completly lost it[/QUOTE]

Well that's how much a wireless 360 controller costs so that sounds about right.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']2:16 a.m. EST [update 13]: Gemaga reports Wii Sports will not be a pack-in game, but will cost 4,800 yen and include five sports games.

anyone think this makes they NY Times article lose its credibility?[/quote]

Yea. lol.

SO many different sources shouting out things!

I DONT know who to believe any more!

*cries*

Actually $15 isn't a bad price for the VC Controller. I'm kinda impressed by that.
$47 is a bit hairy for a Wii-chuck set up, but... I remember paying out the ass for a Dreamcast VMU when they came out too, so... Those prices will probably drop pretty quickly.

[quote name='elwood731']Doesn't it make more sense for VC pricing to be in line with iTunes pricing? $0.99 for a NES title, $1.99 for a SNES title, etc? I mean, maybe that is too optimistic, but it seems more in line with what the most people would pay (I assume, who knows?). I'd easily blow $10 if it meant 10 NES games. But for 2 1/2? It doesn't seem like a great deal of value, especially when services like GameTap let you play current gen titles for $19 a month or whatever it is. I know it is more in line with XBLA, but then I always thought $5 for Galaga on there was ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the Itunes pricing. Most gamers, who Nintendo is marketing for/to, already own a majority of games that will go on the VC. Now I know that there will be that rare gem that I didn't get when I was a kid, but Nintendo is smoking some good stuff. Also, though I'm a lazy ass, I won't find it hard to pull out my old gen consoles and pop in a game that I paid $1-3. Sad thing is if Nintendo doesn't survive this gen and go the way of SEGA their life expectancy is low. They can't even deliver Twilight Princess in a reasonable time and this is a flagship title.

nintendorip.jpg

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']2:16 a.m. EST [update 13]: Gemaga reports Wii Sports will not be a pack-in game, but will cost 4,800 yen and include five sports games.

How so? These announcements are for the Japanese launch, but the NYT article is about the US/NA launch.

Anyone else thinking we're getting PSP'd? (ie remember the crappy value pack with all that extra crap when Japan got the core system for 50 bucks less)

I bet they only release the 250 bundle in the US with the only real addition being Wii sports.

I would love to hear a $200 US price tomorrow. Nintendo owns japan. 360 is not an option there. It's a $212 Wii or a $600 PS3, they have differentiated their price already.

In america, the story is different, it's a $250 wii or a $300 Xbox 360. They have nowhere near the price differential. Come on, reggie. You're smarter than this. Amazing that that $50 can make such a difference in how things are percieved. I'm somewhat pissed that the system is coming out at this price, because it's basically gamecube hardware, 4 years later. We will see tomorrow.

I hope we get a second controller included (in addition to Wii Sports) for $250. Selling the remote and the nunchuk separately doesn't seem like the greatest idea. It'd probably be pretty confusing for all the moms and old people they're targeting.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Yea. lol.

SO many different sources shouting out things!

I DONT know who to believe any more!

*cries*[/quote]
I stand by my analysis that the US console launches at $40 more but with Wii sports.

It looks pretty certain to me that it will be $200, so I would go further to say that the NYT article has been officially proven false. And aren't the dates wrong?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']How so? These announcements are for the Japanese launch, but the NYT article is about the US/NA launch.[/QUOTE]

well first off they mention only 4 games in the US version which seems weird and also you would think they would both include their flagship game, but since NOJ isnt doing maybe NOA isnt doing it either.

Selling the controllers separately sounds like the only bright move they've made so far:

X buys Wii.
X plays Twilight Princess.
X waves wiimote around and watches Link jump off cliff.
X gets pissed and throws wiimote off real cliff.
X doesn't have to pay $50 for a wiimote/nunchuck....X escapes for only $30.

The end.

[quote name='GWN']3:19PM: A note on price of console:

To get a better idea of what 25,000 yen is in USD, one needs to take purchasing power parity into account. While the direct translation is around $215, the latest PPP data (found here: http://www.oecd.org/std/ppp) shows 81 units in Japan to equate 100 units in the USA.

That is: (25,000*(100-81)) = 29,750 yen. Converted, that's -> $252.89 USD.

This means the NY Times article may yet turn out to be true and the Wii could cost US$250 in North America.[/quote]

Pricing info.

[quote name='jer7583']I would love to hear a $200 US price tomorrow. Nintendo owns japan. 360 is not an option there. It's a $212 Wii or a $600 PS3, they have differentiated their price already.

In america, the story is different, it's a $250 wii or a $300 Xbox 360. They have nowhere near the price differential. Come on, reggie. You're smarter than this. Amazing that that $50 can make such a difference in how things are percieved. I'm somewhat pissed that the system is coming out at this price, because it's basically gamecube hardware, 4 years later. We will see tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%!!

[quote name='neudog']I agree with the Itunes pricing. Most gamers, who Nintendo is marketing for/to, already own a majority of games that will go on the VC. Now I know that there will be that rare gem that I didn't get when I was a kid, but Nintendo is smoking some good stuff. Also, though I'm a lazy ass, I won't find it hard to pull out my old gen consoles and pop in a game that I paid $1-3. Sad thing is if Nintendo doesn't survive this gen and go the way of SEGA their life expectancy is low. They can't even deliver Twilight Princess in a reasonable time and this is a flagship title.

nintendorip.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'm not surprised at all at the virtual console pricing cause like, when has Nintendo EVER shied away from charging a shitload for old games? I didn't have much interest in virtual console anyway. Now if they let us download that shit to our DS somehow, I'd be all over it.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Wasn't Nintendo saying at one point that many virtual console games would be free?[/quote]

Consider it incentive for some reverse-engineering of the roms loaded into the Wii.

The day will come when you'll drop a SD card into the Wii and be able to play roms downloaded (legally, of course) off the internet.

Did anyone else feel that knife in their back? A childhood friend has turned into an drug-addict and is blaming me for their problems. Sigh.

[quote name='marten']Consider it incentive for some reverse-engineering of the roms loaded into the Wii.

The day will come when you'll drop a SD card into the Wii and be able to play roms downloaded (legally, of course) off the internet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, remember the SD memory card adapter for the Gamecube... Whatever happened to that thing anyway?

i just find it weird that the article is not located on NYTimes.com yet. I see that the author does work for them, but how would this Redmond paper have a Times scoop article on their site without the Times having there first

Just a random prediction that i'm making. After reading that 3 MSX titles will be available on the VC, does anyone else think that this might be part of the Kojima collaboration for SSBB? I think Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2:Solid Snake might be two of those MSX titles.

The third? Castlevania started out on the MSX.. why not?

This sucks. I don't care about wii sports, really. I'd rather get the console by itself for $210 and pick a game on my own.

Really can't import it, by the time you add in shipping and importer's mark-up (if I have to go through one) it'll be the same price but with no game. Let alone we probably won't know if it's region encoded until both systems are out.... the way tonight is going, it's gonna be.

I guess I'm disapointed in general, but I should be happy. Maybe the happiness will come later.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']well first off they mention only 4 games in the US version which seems weird and also you would think they would both include their flagship game, but since NOJ isnt doing maybe NOA isnt doing it either.[/quote]
It mentioned four of the included sports and nothing specific about how many were to be included in the game. As for the different packages, it can happen. We won't know for sure until tomorrow.

The article is back up for whoever said it was down.

Unless they offer some type of multilayer in VC I fail to see the worth of it. Why pay $5 for Metal gear or Duck tales :roll: when you can get them other ways for free? Any why is boxing a Japanese exclusive?

[quote name='TurboChickenMan']
[quote name='GWN']
3:19PM: A note on price of console:

To get a better idea of what 25,000 yen is in USD, one needs to take purchasing power parity into account. While the direct translation is around $215, the latest PPP data (found here: http://www.oecd.org/std/ppp) shows 81 units in Japan to equate 100 units in the USA.

That is: (25,000*(100-81)) = 29,750 yen. Converted, that's -> $252.89 USD.

This means the NY Times article may yet turn out to be true and the Wii could cost US$250 in North America.
[/quote]

Pricing info.[/quote]
I still think Nintendo's previous pricing structure is a better estimate:
[quote name='oleander']25000 yen (Wii JPN) * ($130 (DSLite US) / 16800 yen (DSLite JPN)) = ~$193

my guess = $200
[/quote]
I guess the NYT article still seems reasonably credible, but $200+$40 = $250? It seems like they should include another controller for that price (I already thought that, but their pricing certainly seems to support the idea), but that seems to be overcorrecting...

Ok, so there's still a few more hours to wait until we get the "Official" Launch/Price info for USA in NYC, then?

I know it's the NY Times, but it doesn't seem right that they would leak info like that.

Still, $249.99 on Nov 19th is really not surprising...

That sounds like a good starting price. I just might get a Wii to start out with and wait for the PS3 to drop in price and work out the bugs. Wii! ^.^ I am sooo going to master Smash Bros Wii style.

anyone know what game it was where the chick was swimming

ohh and there was a short lil RE clip too, looked like somethin from RE remake

Heard some stuff I knew I was gonna hear; heard some stuff I didn't want to hear.

I might pass on the whole launch day thing, now.

Wii Sports looks like dogshit, by the way. That's a bold, bold move not to package a tech-demo with the console.

15:30: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Odoru! Made in Wario, Wii Sports and Pokémon Battle Revolution will be available to the launching of Nintendo Wii in Japan.

15:11: 16 [games] Nintendo Wii of 10 different [publishers] will be available for the launching of the console to Japan. The prices will vary from 4.800 yens with 6.800 yens.

Interesting. I didn't think the Pokemon Battle game was that far along. The others aren't much of a surprise. $41 to $57 games with 16 to choose from sounds decent enough. I wonder what the rest of the Japanese launch games are. :whistle2:k

So has the entire videogame industry now lost track of the voice of the gamers? It all started with Xbox 360 and their multiple SKUs at inflated prices and continued with the PS3 price and hardware shortages. The final nail in the gamer's coffin could very well be Nintendo's strategy.

bread's done
Back