Wii $250 - Nov 19th - The Nintendo 2-Day Press Event Thread!

4CR made an excellent prediction. With the unveiling of the Forecast Wii Channel, real-time accurate weather in Animal Crossing (and other games) seems like a lock.

That would be ridiculously awesome.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']LOL. Funny how Nintendo is out in the open about wanting to make a profit off the console from day 1 and fanboys are all "OMG thats genuis!"[/quote]

It's not genius, it's common sense. You don't need to be a "fanboy" to recognize that.

Here, I'll respond for you:

"OMGLOLZHOWGHEY1!1!!!1eleven" ;)

[quote name='Strell']Not gonna work for SNES, N64, MSX, Genesis, TB16....

Ok so I don't know about the MSX/TB16, but I know you can't use the Wiimote sideways for the N64 and SNES.[/QUOTE]

fuck me, so now we also got to by addons to play the VC games in their original form. They should at least throw in a VC shell so we can play N64 games right.

[quote name='gunm']It's not genius, it's common sense. You don't need to be a "fanboy" to recognize that.

Here, I'll respond for you:

"OMGLOLZHOWGHEY1!1!!!1eleven" ;)[/QUOTE]

No duh companies are out to make a profit, by why the big deal when Nintendo comes in and says they plan to do so? Who even cares if they make money on the consoles?

Ask if GC games will output progressive scan through the system and component cables, or if that is somehow disabled.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']fuck me, so now we also got to by addons to play the VC games in their original form. They should at least throw in a VC shell so we can play N64 games right.[/quote]
They've already said you can hook up you GC controller into the Wiimote and there will be that SNES stlye add on controller also, so calm down...

[quote name='evilmax17']4CR made an excellent prediction. With the unveiling of the Forecast Wii Channel, real-time accurate weather in Animal Crossing (and other games) seems like a lock.

That would be ridiculously awesome.[/QUOTE]

Aye, I've been saying this for a while now.

I remember when I got AC on the GC. The first day it rained for real, it rained in the game also.

But it never happened again. :(

There's a lot of ways Nintendo could incorporate stuff into games with these channels. I hope it gets utilized.

I cant wait to see if they incorporate this into the Pokemon games. I'd be fun to go look for water type pokemon when their more likely to show on a rainy day, or something to the extent.

[quote name='evilmax17']4CR made an excellent prediction. With the unveiling of the Forecast Wii Channel, real-time accurate weather in Animal Crossing (and other games) seems like a lock.

That would be ridiculously awesome.[/quote]
Apparently the weather where you are is more interesting than it is here...I would never get any fish :(.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I cant wait to see if they incorporate this into the Pokemon games. I'd be fun to go look for water type pokemon when their more likely to show on a rainy day, or something to the extent.[/quote]
*Looks at location* :cry:

Well I just read the last few pages and thought I'd share.

$250 doesn't seem too bad to me, mainly since I probably would've bought Wii Sports anyway. It might have been better for $250 if it came with two controllers, but yeah, whatever. If it has component out of the box it's just that much better.

$60 seems like a shitload for the controller, but only $10 more than a 360 controller for two accelerometers, the infrared pointer system, and a speaker doesn't really seem that bad. Controllers are just fucking expensive in general.

VC seems a little expensive, but then again I didn't plan on buying that much for it unless they updated some games with multiplayer or something, and then the cost is probably justified anyway.

I wanted black god dammit. How is it going to match my black ds lite (when I get it)? You know it'll probably be 6 months after launch before they have any new colors. Oh well, I guess I can just sell it off if I want a color change that bad (or paint it or something).

That photo and video editing seems pretty bitchin to be included with it, not something I'm dying for, but it's pretty cool. News and weather seems nice too, and the potential to integrate games with those channels could make some cool shit. And of course the Mii stuff is cool and using them in games is great.

I don't care that it doesn't play DVDs, I wouldn't have used it for that anyway.

Overall, I'm still buying it as soon as I can. I hope the games don't just altogether suck, we'll see.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']*Looks at location* :cry:[/QUOTE]

See but that's the good part, at your location it doesnt rain alot, but in mine it does so You can trade me a local desert type pokemon for a water type pokemon that might be easier to find in my area then yours. Using Wii24 and the Poketrainer Channel it would be easy as Pii.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Using Wii24 and the Poketrainer Channel it would be easy as Pii.[/QUOTE]

You should be shot for that.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']Only if I get a money belt and a 10 minute head start to run.[/QUOTE]

I have 3 dollars and 2 minutes to spare.

I was about to lose faith in Nintendo today (in fact, I did for a few hours) because of all of their launch missteps. Funny thing was though, just yesterday a deal appeared here on CAG saying that Fry's had all Donkey Konga games on sale, with bongos, for $20 each. I picked up all three games today and reflected upon how much I love quirky gaming and true kinesthethic gameplay. Then I started to think about how excited I was about the Wii before the price was announced. Suddenly it dawned on me that maybe that extra $50 may not be so bad afterall for an entirely new gaming experience.

I've decided to remain cautiously reserved until I finally get to play the damn thing myself. Numbers and figures won't mean shit if Nintendo blows me away with their gameplay as soon as I pick it up (the same can be said for the opposite as well).

[quote name='Strell']You should be shot for that.[/quote]

I completley agree with him. I hope on your way to getting your wii you get stung by a bii.

I finally got around to checking out the press conference from GameSpot after my first attempt at downloading failed near the end. I have to say I'm very disappointed that Zelda:TP (GC) has been delayed until a month after the launch. I won't accept the low blow and get the Wii version, so I'll be waiting a month for the GC version. The price is fine with the included game, which should be an interesting title to play if the games do play better than they did at E3.

I'm a little surprised by the change from being focused on games to wanting to be the centerpiece of the living room like Sony and Microsoft. The photo does no good for me, though videos could be interesting. Playing videos from an SD card, like video podcasts, various videos I've downloaded, and more interesting videos than the ones I may record with my digital camera would be cool. It would depend on how the Wii handles those kinds of videos. The web browsing doesn't really interest me, as I have a laptop to be able to surf the net away from my PC. The channels could be interesting, but again, my laptop can tell me the weather, the current gaming news, and such that has been revealed right now. The message boards seem interesting, but I doubt there's much to expect to expect from it. Pretty much, not much of it's useful to me, but it's could be nice to have if I feel the need for it.

I may pick one up at launch, but it depends on my financial stash. I may put a downpayment for a preorder and change or keep it depending on what I can do. I only really have one question left: Are GC games region-free? If so, I'd probably jump on it as my Cube is sputtering when I try to play imports and this would solve the problem.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']
Why the different dates for Zelda release?[/QUOTE]

This should be a given..

First its going to have different extras that the Wii version doesn't have...

Thats for multiple reasons

A) More sales for the purists.

B) Giving the continuing cube owners some reward.

C) Its the obvious reason for the delay.

The only reason I wouldn't believe the above to be true is if Nintendo never intended to release it on the Cube and now they don't want to hurt the PR.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
I'm a little surprised by the change from being focused on games to wanting to be the centerpiece of the living room like Sony and Microsoft. The photo does no good for me, though videos could be interesting. Playing videos from an SD card, like video podcasts, various videos I've downloaded, and more interesting videos than the ones I may record with my digital camera would be cool. It would depend on how the Wii handles those kinds of videos. The web browsing doesn't really interest me, as I have a laptop to be able to surf the net away from my PC. The channels could be interesting, but again, my laptop can tell me the weather, the current gaming news, and such that has been revealed right now. The message boards seem interesting, but I doubt there's much to expect to expect from it. Pretty much, not much of it's useful to me, but it's could be nice to have if I feel the need for it.[/quote]

Right on all counts here... But... If Apple has taught me anything its that people LOVE an easy to user interface and the videos imply that and usablity on a standard definition TV. It might not be the mecca of digital convergence, but I could see the older than 30 crowd getting into the channel interface.

Eh....I'm torn.

The price doesn't bother me, I was expecting it to be 250 anyway. To me, 250.00 isn't a lot for what you get. I don't think people realise how expensive things are now of days. My dad is a contractor and materials alone for the most simple things cost thousands and thousands of dollars.

But anyways...

Im torn in two areas.

1.) I will have so many things to play this holiday season on my 360. Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, GoW and FEAR will all provide hours of fun both online and off. If I really wanted to budget it out, I could get those games plus a Wii...but then I wont have enough time for everything ya know?

2.) I'm a little nervous with Nintendos past. I kind of moved away from the Gamecube because of Nintendo's outlook online, and now with HD and widescreen support its turning me off a bit more. At my dorm things are fine, but at home I love playing on my '30 HDtv and 5.1 surround sound. Once you play Call of Duty 2 on that set up, any other way just isnt right.

Also, I question how much Im going to like the Wii mote in some games. When my friends come over to play Madden '07, we like getting some drinks and food, sitting on the couch and just relaxing...not pretending to chuck the controller.

Not to mention it will make me look like a fool if my dorm door is open ;-)....but thats not that big of deal.

Will you really notice much difference between 480p and 720p on a 30 inch set? I can't imagine the resolution difference would be that extreme.

[quote name='botticus']Will you really notice much difference between 480p and 720p on a 30 inch set? I can't imagine the resolution difference would be that extreme.[/QUOTE]

It's pretty noticeable. I have a 26" HD CRT in my bedroom and there is a clear difference between DVD's playing in 480p and movies shown on TV in 1080i. Not that 480p looks bad by any means. PS2 games in 480p look pretty damn good to me, so I'm sure I won't be too disappointed with the Wii not supporting 1080i or 720p, but I really would've liked to be able to play the Wii in HD.

[quote name='botticus']Will you really notice much difference between 480p and 720p on a 30 inch set? I can't imagine the resolution difference would be that extreme.[/QUOTE]

I noticed a difference when I went from playing Halo 2 in 480p on the xbox to 720p on the 360.

[quote name='seanr1221']I noticed a difference when I went from playing Halo 2 in 480p on the xbox to 720p on the 360.[/quote]

Same here.

It's enough to notice crispness in some things. At least when I pick up Digital OTA on PBS and CBS it's sharper. Systems less so of an effect but 480p doesn't terribly impress me picturewise though it does make me happy to hopefully have WS for all the Wii games since my TV is a 34" WS. Btw don't piss in my pot presuming because people like us who have smaller TV's that are CRT's wouldn't notice. Of course you probably think upconverted DVD's wouldn't look much different on my set than HD-DVD's.
With what I've seen of Digital OTA and Sat for what I have so far HD-NET MOVIES and what was listed above. Of course the bitrate for Showtime is 9 something Mbps and HBO is 12 and HD-NET at least is like 15-16 if not the movies as well. I hear Discovery HD use to look good but I'm not impressed with it and this one is in the 20's. Maybe it has to do with colors, I don't know, but when I notice crispness I do.
Digital specifically I hope PS3 games take advantage of the HDMI output if only for 720p since I'm hoping they'll look crisp as such compared to Component. Jeez I can't wait for SED. Sigh.

If you have an HDTV and a 360, download the same video from XBLM in 480p and 720p. The difference is very evident there.

In fact, it's so evident that it makes me wonder if 1080p is just pure fucking sex compared to 720p. Not that it matters, since 720p is as high as my tv goes, and I won't be able to afford a new 1080p one until I get tenure, which may or may not happen in the next decade.

[quote name='mykevermin']If you have an HDTV and a 360, download the same video from XBLM in 480p and 720p. The difference is very evident there.

In fact, it's so evident that it makes me wonder if 1080p is just pure fucking sex compared to 720p. Not that it matters, since 720p is as high as my tv goes, and I won't be able to afford a new 1080p one until I get tenure, which may or may not happen in the next decade.[/QUOTE]

1080p depends on the size of your TV. If you have a 32" TV or smaller, you'll either see very little or no difference. 1080p is really only valuable for the bigger TVs out there and if you have something in the 40"+ range, it'll definitely be noticably better.

I don't have HD, otherwise I'd be more knowledgeable. I just never recall much difference in overall quality outside of a little less pixelation when playing computer games at 480p compared to 720p, but that's probably more the source material than anything else.

Upping my Cube from 480i to 720p through a digital tuner is anoticable difference. But I think that's mainly the difference in interlaced to progressive scan, rather than resolution.

I still have not been able to find something that I notice a differenceon 720p->1080i. Maybe 1080p is different, but I'm inclinded to think that the initral 480p jump is the most significan and it dies down from there. And in the end, it doesn't matter to me at all.

That would be ridiculously awesome.[/QUOTE]

Dude. You just blew my mind.

(insert obligatory Scanners animated GIF here)

[quote name='Michaellvortega']No duh companies are out to make a profit, by why the big deal when Nintendo comes in and says they plan to do so? Who even cares if they make money on the consoles?[/quote]

Because no other game company has ever done it that way before? It's really the entire philosophy of not focusing on pure technology and instead trying to think of different ways to use technology that makes this kind of buisness decision interesting to me. Instead of coming up with high-end, bleeding-edge specs which raise costs, Nintendo is focusing on different ways to make games. They keep their costs in check, make money on the hardware, and can use that money for whatever: stockholders, R&D, etc.. It's the difference between a $250 Wii that Nintendo can better manage production on and a $400-500 Wii that they're going to lose money on and have a much harder time selling. In the latter scenario, failure would mean no other home consoles in the future.

But I guess you're right, if you have no interest in business, finance, sociology, economics, or technology, this wouldn't be of any concern to you. :cool:

Wait, What is the highest resolution the Wii can get? 480p?

Also, why are people complaining about the graphics? Think of it this way: Metroid Prime(GC) came out at the beginning of the Gamecube's life. It had some of the best looking graphics ever for its time. Now, it still looks absolutely beautiful. Now take those graphics+add 4 years of technology and a new, more powerful console, and what you get should be amazing. If the Wii can make GRAF-X like Metroid 3.0, then I will be perfectly happy.

[quote name='pop311']Wait, What is the highest resolution the Wii can get? 480p?[/QUOTE]

Yes, though they have announced that all first party games will be widescreen.

[quote name='evilmax17']It'll have 512mb of built in flash ram for game saves and VC games. Additional SD cards can be purchased for extra storage, but they aren't needed.[/quote]

How much can the Gamecube memory card hold anyway? 512 mb is quite a bit of memory for saves, it kind of evens things out since we don't have to buy a memory card right away.

[quote name='yukine']How much can the Gamecube memory card hold anyway? 512 mb is quite a bit of memory for saves, it kind of evens things out since we don't have to buy a memory card right away.[/QUOTE]
Gamecube's game saves were measured in blocks. It's hard to say how much that breaks down to in real world bytes.

512MBs sounds like a good amount, but we really won't know until we see how much Wii games saves take up.

[quote name='yukine']How much can the Gamecube memory card hold anyway? 512 mb is quite a bit of memory for saves, it kind of evens things out since we don't have to buy a memory card right away.[/quote]This is the GC memory breakdown: Grey card=59, Black card=251, White card=1019

[quote name='yukine']How much can the Gamecube memory card hold anyway? 512 mb is quite a bit of memory for saves, it kind of evens things out since we don't have to buy a memory card right away.[/quote]
If you look up the 59 block memory card on Amazon it says that 59 blocks are equal to 4 MB.

[quote name='zewone']Gamecube's game saves were measured in blocks. It's hard to say how much that breaks down to in real world bytes.

512MBs sounds like a good amount, but we really won't know until we see how much Wii games saves take up.[/quote]
The 59s were 4 Mb (1/2 MB), making the 251s 16Mb (2 MB) and the 1019s 64 Mb (8 MB - the size of the PS2 memory card from the beginning, mind you).
Each block should be 8 kB (512 kB/64, 2048 kB/256, 8192 kB/1024 all equal 8 kB). This obviously implies that each has 5 blocks of space unavailable for use to save games (my guess would be for addressing purposes). Regardless, 512MB is a lot (64x the size of a 1019). If all you are doing is saving games, it should be way more than enough.

[quote name='oleander']The 59s were 4 Mb (1/2 MB), making the 251s 16Mb (2 MB) and the 1019s 64 Mb (8 MB - the size of the PS2 memory card from the beginning, mind you).
Each block should be 8 kB (512 kB/64, 2048 kB/256, 8192 kB/1024 all equal 8 kB). This obviously implies that each has 5 blocks of space unavailable for use to save games (my guess would be for addressing purposes). Regardless, 512MB is a lot (64x the size of a 1019). If all you are doing is saving games, it should be way more than enough.[/QUOTE]

Madden has been a game that takes up alot of memory, I wonder If will see that again here in the Wii version

[quote name='oleander']The 59s were 4 Mb (1/2 MB), making the 251s 16Mb (2 MB) and the 1019s 64 Mb (8 MB - the size of the PS2 memory card from the beginning, mind you).
Each block should be 8 kB (512 kB/64, 2048 kB/256, 8192 kB/1024 all equal 8 kB). This obviously implies that each has 5 blocks of space unavailable for use to save games (my guess would be for addressing purposes). Regardless, 512MB is a lot (64x the size of a 1019). If all you are doing is saving games, it should be way more than enough.[/QUOTE]

Madden has always been a game that takes up alot of save memory, I wonder If we will see that again here in the Wii version

Each block should be 8 kB (512 kB/64, 2048 kB/256, 8192 kB/1024 all equal 8 kB). This obviously implies that each has 5 blocks of space unavailable for use to save games (my guess would be for addressing purposes). Regardless, 512MB is a lot (64x the size of a 1019). If all you are doing is saving games, it should be way more than enough.[/quote]

Alright, thanks. It's true that we don't know how much memory a Wii save file will take, but I imagine it can't be that much more than a Gamecube game.

I'll probably buy a couple of NES, SNES, and N64 games, but really not that many. So at least I won't have to upgrade the SD card for a while, although I was thinking of maybe grabbing a 1 GB one now, before we see a price spike because of the Wii.

[quote name='pop311']Get the kingston 1GB from amazon for only $13[/quote]

Yup. And there are always similar deals popping up all over the web. At Buy.com, you can get a set of two 1GB cards for $25 after a rebate. Has there been any word on if the Wii supports 4GB cards?

bread's done
Back