Wii $250 - Nov 19th - The Nintendo 2-Day Press Event Thread!

[quote name='Gameboy415']REGION-FREE! DEAR GOD YES!!!!!!!!!

Any word on if its Region-free for GC games too though?

If I find out it is, goodbye Gamecube/Panasonic Q![/quote]

I didn't even think of that. I could play Star Solider without having to use a boot disk.

That'd be quite nice.

Hey guys do you think that the Wii will be completley sold out and go for high bucks on Ebay? Cause i could use the Wii as a huge investment

[quote name='martin8me']Hey guys do you think that the Wii will be completley sold out and go for high bucks on Ebay? Cause i could use the Wii as a huge investment[/quote]I hope not.I really don't want to wait in line for 16hrs to geta Wii.

You can add me to the list of people who won't get it for $250. I admit, it's an interesting console with tons of potential, but at the same time it could backfire because it's different and as a result a gamble. As a result I've been on the fence and waiting for launch details.

If it were $200 I'd likely bite, but for me that $50 difference is enough for me not to go out and get one at launch. The $60 "complete" controller and VC game prices only adds to it.

Once it drops in price or I find a deal that could lower the price a good bit I'll probably get one (assuming it's doing well enough to even warrant a purchase, this is the first Nintendo system I'm actually skeptical about).

I do hope Nintendo gets it right and the Wii becomes successful but I was only willing to put forth at most $200 for the console itself. As a result this will be the first Nintendo console I will pass on during the launch period.

[quote name='martin8me']Hey guys do you think that the Wii will be completley sold out and go for high bucks on Ebay? Cause i could use the Wii as a huge investment[/QUOTE]

YES! In fact, I hear they will go for $1300 on eBay. I'm buying 12!

:rofl:

OK, seriously, my thoughts (like anyone cares):

1) Just to be clear - I'm getting it for sure on day 1.

2) A bit disappointed in the "less than $250" pricing. I think they set an upper limit with that original quote and were probably considering coming in under that (like, really under) but various factors, not the least being Sony's $600 pricing, probably led them to take the maximum. So that's a slight disappointment.

3) VC pricing - unless I can snag Wii points cards with trade-in credit or via various deals I probably won't buy a single game. Unlike most of you I have no fond memories of NES/SNES/N64. My last console before the Gamecube was the Colecovision. I'd buy a few like Mario 64 if I can get them for around half what Nintendo is charging (via trade-in credit, sales, etc). Not a huge disappointment to me though as this was BY FAR the least interesting aspect of the Wii to me. I just don't want to play a bunch of old games where there's plenty of new stuff I don't have time for :D

4) No DVD playback - who gives a fuck. I have a perfectly good $60 DVD player and wouldn't want to muck up the disc-loading mechanism any more than I have to by sticking DVD's into it.

5) Biggest disappointment for me is the release date. I guess the "picking off the frustrated PS3 shoppers" strategy is the best explanation for this. I just hope that works.

6) Second biggest disappointment is no second Wiimote packed in - especially considering that they are including a multiplayer Wiimote showcase game. I would have thought Wii + 2 remotes + Wii Sports would have been an EXCELLENT value.

7) Component cables - I hope the link Botticus posted is right. If that is included in the system I will be very happy with it, and actually will consider the $250 a good deal once again. If I have to pay $60 just to get the damn Wii version of Zelda to show in Widescreen/proscan I'll be pissed. I was pretty mad when I had to shell out $35 ot Nintendo to get the GC component cables after paying $100 for the GC+Zelda bundle (and that was back when the cables were readily available).

8) I hope Elebits is good - I couldn't think of what to preorder at EB the other day to get my 10% bonus so I picked that. Looks like a game that needs multiple remotes though :cry:.

9) Oh one more - a bit surprised (pleasantly) by the Weather/News/etc stuff shown. I wasn't expecting any of that. Like Botticus with his fiancee, my wife will like the weather stuff - she's always asking me to check the computer to see what to dress the kids in. If the Wii powers up quickly and easily and allows her to check the weather faster than booting up the computer she will be happy. That's worth $10 or so of the $250 ;). And I know my daughter will get a kick of that spinning globe thing and the kids will love the Mii stuff and photo enhancement stuff (which I haven't seen yet).

[quote name='Blaine']I didn't even think of that. I could play Star Solider without having to use a boot disk.

That'd be quite nice.[/QUOTE]It's a good thing too... I don't know much about boot disks, but I imagine the slot-loading drive would have really complicated things on that front. Makes me wonder if I'll still be able to use my Action Replay disc to play Nintendo Puzzle Collection (if not, then that's another small reason to keep the 'Cube around after I get my Wii on). Or it's quite possible I have no idea what I'm talking about and it's a complete non-issue!

Damn, GameSpot's Wii Press Conference video is taking a hell of a long time to download. I went to EB to trade-in a bunch of games and drove across town to BB to get a CD, which took about 90 minutes to do, and it's still only 80% done. At least I'll have something to watch after class is over.

The video of demonstrations for several Wii was cool, though some of the Wii Sports stuff looked like it didn't always work 100% well, which was something I had experienced at E3.

[quote name='io']
6) Second biggest disappointment is no second Wiimote packed in - especially considering that they are including a multiplayer Wiimote showcase game. I would have thought Wii + 2 remotes + Wii Sports would have been an EXCELLENT value.[/quote]

I agree with most of what you said, including this point. If you think about it though, it's probably a smart move on Nintendo's part. They include, what is essentially, a multiplayer game and give you one controller. You have to buy another controller for it to have any fun. That's $59.98 more for Nintendo for each Wii.

Reggie was quoted as saying they are going to make money on the hardware out of the box. So this new info is a little off-putting considering they could've priced the thing for less if they really wanted to.

Still, how can you fault a company for trying to make money? I think Nintendo is doing the right thing as a business, and it's amazing to think they are really going to be able to put out a competitive piece of hardware that's cheaper and yet still runs them into the black. Kudos to NOJ--they really are playing on a different field than Sony or Microsoft here. Now it's just a matter of time to see if their calculated risk pays off.

Damn, this thread has exploded... I'm like 8 pages behind. Is Gamestop taking pre-orders yet? After watching some of the videos of upcoming Wii games, I think $250.00 is a good price for it.

I still don't agree with the $5.00 NES games, and the $60.00 controller though.

[quote name='gunm']Reggie was quoted as saying they are going to make money on the hardware out of the box. So this new info is a little off-putting considering they could've priced the thing for less if they really wanted to.

Still, how can you fault a company for trying to make money? I think Nintendo is doing the right thing as a business, and it's amazing to think they are really going to be able to put out a competitive piece of hardware that's cheaper and yet still runs them into the black. Kudos to NOJ--they really are playing on a different field than Sony or Microsoft here. Now it's just a matter of time to see if their calculated risk pays off.[/QUOTE]

well put... also, reggie has some good points on why they need to make money on the consoles... Sony and Microsoft have finances spread out in other medias, so they can and will lose money whereas Nintendo only has one feild, and that's how they've made their money all these years.

[quote name='musicnoteless']wii comes with both the wiimote and nuchaku. 1000 post![/QUOTE]
Ok, thanx.
BTW, yours was the 1001st post, but the 1000th response ;)

[quote name='6669']Does the Wii come with the nunchuck thing, or just the Wiimote?[/QUOTE]

Comes with one compete controller (nunchuck and wand).

[quote name='lordwow']Comes with one compete controller (nunchuck and wand).[/QUOTE]
Yeah, so that makes a $60 value alone. I dont see why everyone's upset with the price. Its a lot less than $600.

[quote name='6669']Yeah, so that makes a $60 value alone. I dont see why everyone's upset with the price. Its a lot less than $600.[/QUOTE]

There was an insane post at Joystiq about why $250 is too much:

If companies like Sony and Microsoft want to subsidize their consoles to the the point that they're losing money on every unit sold, shouldn't we (as rational consumers) want to take advantage of this built-in subsidy? All else equal, shouldn't a rational consumer choose the console with the largest built-in subsidy?

Yeah dumbass, that's what happens. That's why people buy electronics instead of food, right? Oh wait, there's that thing called marginal utility. All things being equal, they would choose the cheapest console. Even if things aren't equal, which they're not, people buy things based on their utility within their budget line.

Sony and Microsoft are giving us free hardware when they sell each console at a loss. A gamer who wants the most computing power for his buck will naturally prefer the subsidized console, ceteris paribus. Whether this is ultimately healthy for Microsoft and Sony is another matter entirely. The ultimate profitability of a game manufacturer is no concern of ours, as gamers.

Yeah, the console is free. That's why you paid money for it, right? It's not that it's at a rate lower than its production cost or anything, it's free and my wallet just opened up and the money ran out. Again, people puchase within income restraints dependent on their marginal utlity. If the Ps3 was $60, but they hate Sony games, then it doesn't matter. If you could buy a super computer for 2 million dollars that's been subsidized by 200 million, would you? Get out your credit card, because by your logic you'd be a fool not to!
Also, Stop using the term "subsidy", because it's not. It's a fucking loss. If it were subsidized, someone would be paying them the extra $300 to sell their system at such a loss, and the last time I checked no one's doing that. The loss can be technically subsidized by software sales or microtransactions, but the amount would have to be greater than or equal to the loss, and with initial sales there's no subsidy and there's NO guarantee the lost revenue can be covered in the future (see Xbox division). In the way this is being used, it's incorrect and clearly something this person googled to try and sound smart.

One final point: if a company doesn't believe in its product enough to take a small loss at launch, what does this risk averseness say about executive confidence in the long-run prospects of the product? A larger, up-front investment indicates stronger confidence that a product will eventually be successful enough to pay for initial investment.

So, because a company wants to make a profit they have no confidence in their product? By your logic, shit everywhere should be dirt cheap. The Ps3 should only be $25. I mean, they're confident in it right?

Most comments below are ignoring the ceteris paribus stipulation of the argument. For this argument to work, one must assume that all else is equal. To put it another way, would you buy a Wii at $600 or at $100? You'd buy it at $100, because the $600 model is exactly the same. Most rebuttals are bringing in objections that violate the core stipulation.
I don't need to say anything here. The idiocy speaks for itself.

In Summation: Purchasing decisions are made based on utility within a consumer's budget line, not based on the "subsidy" of a product(which is incorrect here. It's not a subsidy, it's a fucking loss, no one is paying them the additional $300 to sell their console at $600). People don't buy things by taking the producer's bottom line into account. This type of baseless idiocy is what happens when people think that since they took introduction to MicroEconomics for a quarter and they remember what CETERIS PARIBUS, they're economists.

Technically his argument would be correct, if we were dealing in computers. Say the 360, PS3, and Wii all played the same software. Well damn, of course you're going to get the one with the best value in terms of specs, since they all do the same thing. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your view, all three consoles do different things. They are all video game consoles, but they don't all play the same games, so that ends up being the biggest factor, at least in my mind. And that's where my decision that the $250 Wii is a better value than is the $400 360 right now comes from.

Reality's Fringe;2195303]There was an insane post at Joystiq about why $250 is too much: [i]If companies like Sony and Microsoft want to subsidize their consoles to the the point that they're losing money on every unit sold said:
I'm not going to spend time debunking this insane and faulty logic, but I will say this: Purchasing decisions are made based on utility within a consumer's budget line, not based on the "subsidy" of a product(which is incorrect here. It's not a subsidy, it's a fucking loss, no one is paying them the additional $300 to sell their console at $600). People don't buy things by taking the producer's bottom line into account. This type of baseless idiocy is what happens when people think that since they took introduction to MicroEconomics for a quarter and they remember what CETERIS PARIBUS, they're economists.
Yeah, I remember the posts from Joystiq. It was like reading the Gamefaqs.com forums. The $60 controller and the game is a $100 value alone, so I'm not complaining.

Reality's Fringe;2195303]There was an insane post at Joystiq about why $250 is too much: [i]If companies like Sony and Microsoft want to subsidize their consoles to the the point that they're losing money on every unit sold said:
I'm not going to spend time debunking this insane and faulty logic, but I will say this: Purchasing decisions are made based on utility within a consumer's budget line, not based on the "subsidy" of a product(which is incorrect here. It's not a subsidy, it's a fucking loss, no one is paying them the additional $300 to sell their console at $600). People don't buy things by taking the producer's bottom line into account. This type of baseless idiocy is what happens when people think that since they took introduction to MicroEconomics for a quarter and they remember what CETERIS PARIBUS, they're economists.

Ahh but what about his second (and I feel, stronger) point about the company not having full long term confidence in their product?

Why isn't Nintendo willing to "throw us a bone" here in order to continue the excitement they've built up for their console? Personally, I feel that for $50 they've cost themselves a great number of potential customers. Customers that would have probably made up the extra $50 in a controller or an extra game anyway.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Ahh but what about his second (and I feel, stronger) point about the company not having full long term confidence in their product?

Why isn't Nintendo willing to "throw us a bone" here in order to continue the excitement they've built up for their console? Personally, I feel that for $50 they've cost themselves a great number of potential customers. Customers that would have probably made up the extra $50 in a controller or an extra game anyway.[/quote] But are the people who were on the fence and are no-go at $250 going to completely ignore it when it drops to $200 in 6-12 months? I would imagine if $200 had been your cut-off point today, it would still be that then. So really, all they've lost is 6-12 months of your software/accessory purchases. In the meantime they've sold millions of consoles at that additional $50 to fools like me.

And as far as their "confidence"... that's not the issue. If they lose money on consoles and make money on games/accessories, well, they're not all that profitable. How long did it take MS to break even on the Xbox? When you only have one revenue stream it's hard to move forward when you're just breaking even. Not a good business model at all.

[quote name='botticus']Technically his argument would be correct, if we were dealing in computers. Say the 360, PS3, and Wii all played the same software. Well damn, of course you're going to get the one with the best value in terms of specs, since they all do the same thing. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your view, all three consoles do different things. They are all video game consoles, but they don't all play the same games, so that ends up being the biggest factor, at least in my mind. And that's where my decision that the $250 Wii is a better value than is the $400 360 right now comes from.[/QUOTE]

Not really. You go out to buy a computer, and there are two models. One is 1500, one is 2100. The one that is 2100 has better specs, so it's the better buy, right? False. The assumption that someone would logically buy it is based on your own marginal utility. You'd buy it because it's better. To someone else, the extra Ram or GHZ means nothing but an extra $600. Or perhaps another person would LIKE to buy it, but income restraints mean he has to get the $1500 one, or maybe one for $900. It's all based on utility in relation to income.

And the second part of your statement proves that you're taking that truth into account ;)

[quote name='botticus']But are the people who were on the fence and are no-go at $250 going to completely ignore it when it drops to $200 in 6-12 months? I would imagine if $200 had been your cut-off point today, it would still be that then. So really, all they've lost is 6-12 months of your software/accessory purchases. In the meantime they've sold millions of consoles at that additional $50 to fools like me.

And as far as their "confidence"... that's not the issue. If they lose money on consoles and make money on games/accessories, well, they're not all that profitable. How long did it take MS to break even on the Xbox? When you only have one revenue stream it's hard to move forward when you're just breaking even. Not a good business model at all.[/QUOTE]

Personally, and I have no data to back this up at all, but I feel that the absolute best time to get someone on board your console is at launch. Not only that but as game prices fall, that means either the 3rd party company or Nintendo's cut won't be as much, and they've lost that money.

I am fairly certain that (like the DS) Nintendo will be dropping the price of the Wii around summer time.

Reality's Fringe;2195417]Not really. You go out to buy a computer said:
You'd[/B] buy it because it's better. To someone else, the extra Ram or GHZ means nothing but an extra $600. Or perhaps another person would LIKE to buy it, but income restraints means he has to get the $1500 one, or maybe one for $900. It's all based on utility in relation to income.

And the second part of your statement proves that you're taking that truth into account ;)
Meh, I've had a long day. My logic makes sense to me. :D

Reality's Fringe;2195303 said:
In Summation: Purchasing decisions are made based on utility within a consumer's budget line, not based on the "subsidy" of a product(which is incorrect here. It's not a subsidy, it's a fucking loss, no one is paying them the additional $300 to sell their console at $600). People don't buy things by taking the producer's bottom line into account. This type of baseless idiocy is what happens when people think that since they took introduction to MicroEconomics for a quarter and they remember what CETERIS PARIBUS, they're economists.

I cut out most of your post because it's right there. At any rate, arguing any sort of "rational actor in the market" point is, well, pointless. Any purchasing decision is inherently "rational." The person who buys the Wii, the PS3 or the 360; hell, even the motherfucker who springs for a Jaguar in this day and age is a "rational actor."

So, the short is this: any decision made is rational; as a result, you can't not explain anything (there is no such thing as an "irrational actor in the market"), so you've built yourself into a tautology. You get no explanatory power when you can explain everything, because of the lack of details.

The guy's post? Rational. For him. Your post? Rational. For you. My triple-digit bar tab? Rare, but still rational. Buying crack? Yep. Still rational.

On a different point entirely, did anyone post the GS article where Reggie confirms that the Wii is not selling at a loss, as stated earlier, but at a profit instead?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157690.html

"We will make a profit on the entire Wii proposition out of the box--hardware and software," Fils-Aime told Reuters. "That really is a very different philosophy versus our competitors. We are a company that competes only in the interactive entertainment space, so we have to make a profit on everything we do."

I'm sure I'm not the first to post it, as it's tough to "break news" with so many people paying attention. At any rate, this is interesting news, since I think Nintendo planned on selling this at a loss, which would have been a first for them.

[quote name='botticus']But are the people who were on the fence and are no-go at $250 going to completely ignore it when it drops to $200 in 6-12 months? I would imagine if $200 had been your cut-off point today, it would still be that then. So really, all they've lost is 6-12 months of your software/accessory purchases. In the meantime they've sold millions of consoles at that additional $50 to fools like me.

And as far as their "confidence"... that's not the issue. If they lose money on consoles and make money on games/accessories, well, they're not all that profitable. How long did it take MS to break even on the Xbox? When you only have one revenue stream it's hard to move forward when you're just breaking even. Not a good business model at all.[/quote]

I'm inclined to agree. $250 is a solid price in a market where the other choices are $399 and $599, particularly when the system comes bundled with a game already.

I don't think MS ever did break even on the original XBox, and as was mentioned earlier, Nintendo doesn't have any other business to fall back on for profits like M$ and Sony do.

[quote name='6669']Yeah, so that makes a $60 value alone. I dont see why everyone's upset with the price. Its a lot less than $600.[/QUOTE]
if additional ps3 controllers cost $300 would that make the price of the console seen more reasonable?

i know its a larger exaggeration but still.

Its theoretically possible that I'll be able to talk to someone fancy from Nintendo tomorrow.

I need to make a list of questions/clarifications to ask him if I get the chance.

Help?

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Its theoretically possible that I'll be able to talk to someone fancy from Nintendo tomorrow.

I need to make a list of questions/clarifications to ask him if I get the chance.

Help?[/quote]
A/V cable included with the console to satisfy all the whiners out there ;)

I dunno, I don't really need clarification on anything else.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Its theoretically possible that I'll be able to talk to someone fancy from Nintendo tomorrow.

Help?[/QUOTE]

I've got a good question to ask: "If RvB from the website Cheapassgamer promises to spend $250 on games and accessories, will you give him a free Wii?"

Help?[/QUOTE]

ask about if remade classic controllers (not the one they showed at E3 and today) will be comming out for the virtual console games, and for how much.

...and by fancy, you mean someone wearing a southern bell dress?

Help?[/QUOTE]

How long is the cord for the sensory bar? There was speculation that it wouldn't be long enough for projector owners to be able to play the Wii.

Are any other colors coming? Either console-overall or possibly just the Wiimote? That'd help the entire "personalize" thing.

Where is Miyamoto's new IP?

Are there still plans for added/expanded/improved content for VC games?

How much space can a DVD size disc hold? Is it double layer?

Those would be good starters in my opinion....

[quote name='mykevermin']I cut out most of your post because it's right there. At any rate, arguing any sort of "rational actor in the market" point is, well, pointless. Any purchasing decision is inherently "rational." The person who buys the Wii, the PS3 or the 360; hell, even the motherfucker who springs for a Jaguar in this day and age is a "rational actor."

So, the short is this: any decision made is rational; as a result, you can't not explain anything (there is no such thing as an "irrational actor in the market"), so you've built yourself into a tautology. You get no explanatory power when you can explain everything, because of the lack of details.

The guy's post? Rational. For him. Your post? Rational. For you. My triple-digit bar tab? Rare, but still rational. Buying crack? Yep. Still rational.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you're going for here...maybe it's because I'm tired or just stupid. =(

Oh, I guess try to follow-up on the SD storage. I don't particularly care about using an external hard drive right now, but I want to make sure any kind of SD card will work.

fuck, here's a better question: Will all the nice promos announced for Japan be relegated to Japan only? We're talkin the free remote bundled with "My First Wii," the free classic controller with purchase of 500 Wii Points, Opera browser free till June 2007.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']gonintendo seems to be reporting in an unconfirmed way that the A/V is a dual composite/component affair like with the 360?[/QUOTE]

I'll hold my breath till it's confirmed given that it's Nintendo.

Oh I have two important one's Dr.Mario Kart if Nintendo can answer these. Will VCS get OB64 or "Sin and Punishment"? Also will "Terranigma" hit the VCS?
I'd also like to expand on Strells question like will we get VCS info on games much like we got with Namco Museum?

[quote name='botticus']fuck, here's a better question: Will all the nice promos announced for Japan be relegated to Japan only? We're talkin the free remote bundled with "My First Wii," the free classic controller with purchase of 500 Wii Points, Opera browser free till June 2007.[/quote]

I'm gonna go out on a limb on this one and say 'NO.'

Here's to hoping I turn out to be wrong.

ask

Why the different dates for Zelda release?

Why the choice to not go with a rechargeable battery pack?

How many units do the plan to sell by the end of the year?(fiscal)

Will we ever see mario at launch again?

Does Nintendo still not consider themselves indirect competition with Sony & MS?

What kinda of parental lock outs will the Opera browser feature?

Will Nintendo power subscribers have access to members only Wii downloadable content?

Is Nintendo working on a update to the DS?

What wil be the first DS Wii connectivity game released?

Why the choice to sell the Wiimote and nunchaku separate?

Why isnt a terribly useful question to ask. People with imagination can come up with reasons, and I unless I get a PR guy like Reggie, I dont know if I'll get a useful answer.

A lot of big questions arent going to be answered so questions are more useful if they are in a position to answer them.

Zelda Cube delay is easy. It makes it compete with the Wii version slightly less.

Can GC controllers be used for VC games is a big, big question to ask.

Or do we have to shell out for the classic controller.

Will the Wii require a memory card, or will it have its' own internal hard drive for game saves?

Because a GC w/mem card would've been $220 at launch, so this isn't that much more, and it comes with Wii sports, which isn't much, but it's better than nothing.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Will the Wii require a memory card, or will it have its' own internal hard drive for game saves?

Because a GC w/mem card would've been $220 at launch, so this isn't that much more, and it comes with Wii sports, which isn't much, but it's better than nothing.[/quote]
It'll have 512mb of built in flash ram for game saves and VC games. Additional SD cards can be purchased for extra storage, but they aren't needed.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Why isnt a terribly useful question to ask. People with imagination can come up with reasons, and I unless I get a PR guy like Reggie, I dont know if I'll get a useful answer.

A lot of big questions arent going to be answered so questions are more useful if they are in a position to answer them.

Zelda Cube delay is easy. It makes it compete with the Wii version slightly less.[/QUOTE]

That's lame if he/she cant answer anything useful, Might as well shoot the breeze with the Nintendo rep.

[quote name='Strell']Can GC controllers be used for VC games is a big, big question to ask.

Or do we have to shell out for the classic controller.[/QUOTE]

I thought you used the Wiimote sideways to play VC games, it's just a NES control anyways right?

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I thought you used the Wiimote sideways to play VC games, it's just a NES control anyways right?[/QUOTE]

Not gonna work for SNES, N64, MSX, Genesis, TB16....

Ok so I don't know about the MSX/TB16, but I know you can't use the Wiimote sideways for the N64 and SNES.

bread's done
Back