Wii $250 - Nov 19th - The Nintendo 2-Day Press Event Thread!

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I honestly can't think of any good news from this press conference. It was pretty much all bad news for me personally. I suppose there's the fact that now I've saved money for this fall because I was on the fence before about buying the Wii but not anymore.[/QUOTE]

Ditto.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I was speaking from the Nintendboy's point of view when saying Madden on Wii is innovative, because those people think ANY game that uses the Wiimote is so much more innovative and fun than anything else on other consoles. I think it's a gimmick myself, but others see it differently. I just find it funny how Nintendo can make a game where you use the remote to poke at a switch to open a door, and nothing else, and Nintendo apologists will label it a groundbreaking innovation, while EA could put out a game where the remote does 100 different things, and they just dismiss it for some reason. It's called a Double Standard, and certain Nintendo fans are very fond of them.[/quote]
I actually think Madden for the Wii looks amazing. The last interview from one of the producers sealed it for me. And, get this, I haven't bought Madden for a few years because they weren't putting out anything that was worth an additional $50 each year. But believe it or not, they are capable of doing something different if they put their mind to it.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Man, Nintendo really screwed the pooch on this one. You guys are having a fucking mutiny.[/QUOTE]

Meh. I think too many people expected them to ship a console with a brand new car in it for under $200.

I also think it's timing; had they presented this same set of information back at E3, Sony would have looked even more like chumps. Somehow a number of people decided that Nintendo was going to overdeliver on promises they never made.

A $60 controller is a bit disappointing, but given that it's a totally different beast from a standard controller, fine with me. If you want to make a genuine apples to apples comparison, compare the price of the wired 360 controller with the price of the Wii classic controller.

The only disappointing thing, for me, is the pricing of the VC titles. I can't help but feel, since I bought 2 of the NES Classic games for the GBA, that I brought this on myself. I'll pay $10 for a few N64 titles, but under no circumstances will I pay $5 for an NES title, unless it's Dragon Warrior IV.

people seem to beleive that their expectations were waht was going to be happnening. It's alot more rewwarding and optamistic if you let go of any preconceved stuff and be open to be totally surprised at evrything. If you don't want a Wii, it's your fault, and that's not good or bad.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']
Thank you Nintendo for putting your fist up the collective ass of North America.[/QUOTE]

Yep, I bet they do something really great for Japan too and give us the big "fuck you!".

You guys crack me up. What were you expecting? Optimistic predictions were set at $199, so an extra $50 is enough to push you away? Sell Wii Sports on ebay if you don't want it, as the Wii will be region free, and Japan's bundle doesn't include it (the same might apply to Europe as well). You can probably make $30 of that back.

Or are you not buying it because the extra controllers are expensive? I'll grant you, they are. It's ridiculous. But who cares? Buy the system now (which...gasp...includes a controller!), and play 1p for awhile. Take turns with your friends, old school NES style. If your friends were also planning on buying one, then this is a non-issue.

All I see are a bunch of people whining about nothing. I would've loved an Oct 2 release date at a $200 pricepoint, but $50 more (with a pack-in game) and a month later isn't the end of the world.

Buy a Wii. Buy Zelda. Play 1p and show Wii Sports to all of your friends and relatives. If you absolutely need 3 extra remotes and nunchucks, then shell out the dough.

[quote name='mykevermin']Meh. I think too many people expected them to ship a console with a brand new car in it for under $200.

I also think it's timing; had they presented this same set of information back at E3, Sony would have looked even more like chumps. Somehow a number of people decided that Nintendo was going to overdeliver on promises they never made.

A $60 controller is a bit disappointing, but given that it's a totally different beast from a standard controller, fine with me. If you want to make a genuine apples to apples comparison, compare the price of the wired 360 controller with the price of the Wii classic controller.

The only disappointing thing, for me, is the pricing of the VC titles. I can't help but feel, since I bought 2 of the NES Classic games for the GBA, that I brought this on myself. I'll pay $10 for a few N64 titles, but under no circumstances will I pay $5 for an NES title, unless it's Dragon Warrior IV.[/QUOTE]

I think my biggest problem with the pricing is that for $250 you get a console, a controller, and a game. Had there been 2 controllers included in the box then perhaps it would feel like a little bit better deal.

The "game" is adding almost $50 to the price and for some reason Japan isn't forced to buy it so their console is only around $200. Once again Nintendo feels it necessary to stick it to North America in some way possible. I will say that I'm actually impressed that we're actually getting the first of the worldwide launch though.

[quote name='mykevermin']Meh. I think too many people expected them to ship a console with a brand new car in it for under $200.

The only disappointing thing, for me, is the pricing of the VC titles. I can't help but feel, since I bought 2 of the NES Classic games for the GBA, that I brought this on myself. I'll pay $10 for a few N64 titles, but under no circumstances will I pay $5 for an NES title, unless it's Dragon Warrior IV.[/quote]

Nicely said, I agree on all counts.

[quote name='shipwreck']Just think of how much money you'll save using the Gamer Gift Card since you're going to have to buy so many accessories! The savings will pile up![/QUOTE]

Actually, this makes it a good thing that Nintendo is selling the Wiimote and nunchuk separately.

Wiimote
$40 - $5 GGC = $35
Nunchuk
$20 - $5 GGC = $15

Total: $50 out the door.

The Japanese console is 25,000 Yen, right? The exchange rate ain't THAT lopsided; they're paying about $230 or so for the same thing sans Wii Sports.

[quote name='evilmax17']You guys crack me up. What were you expecting? Optimistic predictions were set at $199, so an extra $50 is enough to push you away? Sell Wii Sports on ebay if you don't want it, as the Wii will be region free, and Japan's bundle doesn't include it (the same might apply to Europe as well). You can probably make $30 of that back.

Or are you not buying it because the extra controllers are expensive? I'll grant you, they are. It's ridiculous. But who cares? Buy the system now (which...gasp...includes a controller!), and play 1p for awhile. Take turns with your friends, old school NES style. If your friends were also planning on buying one, then this is a non-issue.

All I see are a bunch of people whining about nothing. I would've loved an Oct 2 release date at a $200 pricepoint, but $50 more (with a pack-in game) and a month later isn't the end of the world.

Buy a Wii. Buy Zelda. Play 1p and show Wii Sports to all of your friends and relatives. If you absolutely need 3 extra remotes and nunchucks, then shell out the dough.[/quote]

Who are we supposed to sell Wii Sports to when everyone that has a Wii will have Wii Sports? They are "giving" you a game that is immediately worth absolutely nothing on the secondary market.

Why is it so ridiculous that the $50 is causing a big deal? There's always a cut off point for what people are willing to spend on something. Mine was $200. I do not think the Wii is worth $250 to me.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I think my biggest problem with the pricing is that for $250 you get a console, a controller, and a game. Had there been 2 controllers included in the box then perhaps it would feel like a little bit better deal.

The "game" is adding almost $50 to the price and for some reason Japan isn't forced to buy it so their console is only around $200. Once again Nintendo feels it necessary to stick it to North America in some way possible. I will say that I'm actually impressed that we're actually getting the first of the worldwide launch though.[/QUOTE]

It's called the Wii for a reason, the "i"s mean something, they are the controlers. Nintendo seems to think they named the thing Wi.

[quote name='shipwreck']Who are we supposed to sell Wii Sports to when everyone that has a Wii will have Wii Sports? They are "giving" you a game that is immediately worth absolutely nothing on the secondary market.

Why is it so ridiculous that the $50 is causing a big deal? There's always a cut off point for what people are willing to spend on something. Mine was $200. I do not think the Wii is worth $250 to me.[/QUOTE]

i just say to each his own. buy a wii or don't. nobody is making you do so or not. no need for anybody to be offensive or defensive about this whole thing. debate over (wishfull thinking).

heh, if enough of the complainers follow through with their claims of not buying a Wii @ launch, I may actually end up getting one this year!

So, uh, yeah...Wii suxxors! Too much for too little! Wii sports blows! :)

[quote name='shipwreck']Who are we supposed to sell Wii Sports to when everyone that has a Wii will have Wii Sports? They are "giving" you a game that is immediately worth absolutely nothing on the secondary market.

Why is it so ridiculous that the $50 is causing a big deal? There's always a cut off point for what people are willing to spend on something. Mine was $200. I do not think the Wii is worth $250 to me.[/QUOTE]

Seeing what happened with some of the amazing Gamecube bundles that came out within 1-2 years after launch, if they come out with some decent Wii games that I must have, I'll wait till then. Nintendo has a notorious way of making you feel like you lost out on something if you buy a console at launch. Even if it's just new colors, it seems like there's always a reason to wait for a Nintendo system.

[quote name='shipwreck']Who are we supposed to sell Wii Sports to when everyone that has a Wii will have Wii Sports? They are "giving" you a game that is immediately worth absolutely nothing on the secondary market.[/quote]
As I said, to the Japanese and (possibly) Europeans. Wii first party games are region free, and the Japanese Wii doesn't include Wii Sports. Europe's might not either.

Sure you won't be able to trade it in at EB/GS, but it should move on Ebay if you sell overseas.

oh and if you can't afford a wii but want one, get a job. 2 weeks of pay shold be about enough. after that if you get fired, you get a wii, so it won't matter really.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Seeing what happened with some of the amazing Gamecube bundles that came out within 1-2 years after launch, if they come out with some decent Wii games that I must have, I'll wait till then. Nintendo has a notorious way of making you feel like you lost out on something if you buy a console at launch. Even if it's just new colors, it seems like there's always a reason to wait for a Nintendo system.[/quote]

A very good point. Unless the system completely tanks, there's always going to be some bundle, color, or whatnot that NOA is going to pop out, just to make people have to go out and buy more of their shit. That was one of the main reasons I ended up deciding to try and wait 'til next year. And yeah, I initially wanted one right out of the blocks--heck, I'm not sure I can hold back once the holiday shopping starts rolling...

[quote name='tayaf69']you don't get 10% systems with the gs card and only on USED games/accessories.[/QUOTE]

That is why I said it is probably 15% (employee discount).

[quote name='lawdood']Perfect launch date...I have the entire Turkey Day week off work. Plenty of time to spend with my new toy.

It cracks me up that people are complaining about a $250 price tag. When you look at the current cost of ipods, other gaming systems, HD TV's, digital cameras, etc. the price for a new console system at launch, regardless if it's the most high tech one or not, for $250 in 2006 is an absolute STEAL. You whiners may want to think about getting a gig that pays over minimum wage or something if you balk at that price...or you're just in the wrong hobby.[/QUOTE]

Well excuse all of us Phoenix Wright! The market Nintendo is trying to bring into the fold is probably living paycheck to paycheck or close to it. As for the older crowd, they're living on Social Security and if they're lucky a decent retirement pension. Sure $50 isn't that much more, but it is the principle of the matter. Nintendo has been selling quality, which they'll deliver, and affordable... oops they missed this mark.

No matter the figures that are presented here on this thread the fact is what the consumer is getting is not affordable. The only justification everyone has is putting the price tag up against the competitors. A bowl of crap looks good up against the competitors prices. This thing is nothing more than an upgraded Gamecube with some new fancy bells and whistles. Quality has been something you can always count on from Nintendo, but this is all they have left and the competition isn't to far behind. So I suggest you get in your Bugatti Veyron 16.4 and enjoy getting your launch Wii and all the extras. As for me and all the common folks here we'll wait for a price drop.

You're not missing out on anything buying at launch. You're playing it, while people who didn't buy it do not. You know Nintendo is going to release the Wii in additional colors before all is said and done. If you can't imagine not having one of those colors, then you don't buy it at launch, you wait till they release it in one of those colors. If you want to get it cheaper, you don't buy it at launch. If you want to get it bundled with a couple games, you don't buy it at launch. Bonuses are ways of saying "Hey, you haven't bought this yet, here's an incentive to buy it now."

I bought a GameCube for $100 bundled with Mario Kart. Awesome. But that also means I missed out on playing the GameCube for a good 3+ years. It's a trade-off. People use this argument all the time with when they are asked why they spend so much on an HDTV, for example. They could wait a few years and get it a hell of a lot cheaper, but they want it now.

The fact that its region free is mindblowing to me. I mean guys, now we can play games that we never would have been able to play before. That's freaking awesome!

Plus the entire weather, news updates, the Opera Web Browser, the picture editing software, and instant messaging others. I mean man! That's freaking insane. We never saw that coming. That and if you don't want the $200 version, wait a while and import the Japanese version. Like it's been said, it's region free!

Does anyone else find it ironic that the extra 50 for the Wii is "ridiculous," but "I'll just add on another 50 and get the 360" isn't?

(Please note sarcasm within post, people.)

[quote name='dafunkk12']As long as that $250 includes two controllers "as advertised" in the name of the system, I think it's a decent price.[/QUOTE]

It's the Nintendo Wi, didn't you know they changed the name?

Wii Launch - November 2006 Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam Activision Sports Wii Launch - November 2006 Trauma Center: Second Opinion Atlus Software Simulation Wii Launch - November 2006 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 Atari Fighting Wii Launch - November 2006 SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab THQ Action Wii Launch - November 2006 Elebits Konami Action Wii Launch - November 2006 Madden NFL 07 Electronic Arts Sports Wii Launch - November 2006 Blitz: The League Midway Games Sports Wii Launch - November 2006 Rayman Raving Rabbids Ubisoft Platformer Wii Launch - November 2006 Cars THQ Racing Action Wii Launch - November 2006 GT Pro Series Ubisoft Racing Wii Launch - November 2006 Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII Ubisoft Flight Action Wii Launch - November 2006 Wii Sports Nintendo Sports Wii Launch - November 2006 Wii Motor Sports Airplane Nintendo Flight Wii Launch - November 2006 Open Season Ubisoft Action Adventure Wii Launch - November 2006 Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, The Nintendo Adventure Wii Launch - November 2006 Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors Square Enix Action Wii Launch - November 2006 Metal Slug Anthology SNK Playmore Action Compilation Wii Launch - November 2006 Marvel: Ultimate Alliance Activision Action RPG Wii Launch - November 2006 Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent Ubisoft Action Adventure Wii Launch - November 2006 Red Steel Ubisoft Shooter Wii Launch - November 2006 Barnyard THQ Adventure Wii Launch - November 2006 Far Cry Ubisoft Shooter Wii Launch - November 2006 Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz SEGA Action

Well, I tried to remain positive (i.e. in denial), but I guess that is no longer possible.

This annoys me because:
-I hate the "$249.99 is less than $250" BS; I realize that it happens all the time, but that does not make it any less annoying.
-I hate it when I am forced to buy something extraneous...this is exactly the thing that annoys me about the PS3 - I don't want to pay $200 for Blu-Ray and I don't want to pay $50 for what a game worth about $10-$15 (to me).
-I HATE that they are delaying the GC version of LoZ:TP just to get people to buy a Wii. This is adding insult to injury for those excited about the game but turned off by the Wii price.
-VC prices suck. Honestly, I would almost certainly spend more if they were less expensive ($1-$5 is impulse buy territory, but $5-$10 is not). As it is, I will still get games like Mario:RPG and Earthbound (assuming they are available and that they don't decided to gauge us by increasing their prices -which is obviously NOT a good assumption at this point).
-WHY MUST EVERYTHING BE WHITE?

Yeah, I still want one. A lot. And yeah, I've got the money. But this sucks...and it may be enough to postpone my purchasing one.
And MP3 is delayed, so the only real benefit is getting to play Zelda right away, and I probably won't have much time for Zelda until mid-December anyway with school...

I suppose above everything else, the thing that frustrates me the most is that something that would have been an easy desicion is now much more difficult...

[quote name='ahmedmalik']Wii Launch - November 2006 Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam Activision Sports Wii Launch - November 2006 Trauma Center: Second Opinion Atlus Software Simulation Wii Launch - November 2006 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 Atari Fighting Wii Launch - November 2006 SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab THQ Action Wii Launch - November 2006 Elebits Konami Action Wii Launch - November 2006 Madden NFL 07 Electronic Arts Sports Wii Launch - November 2006 Blitz: The League Midway Games Sports Wii Launch - November 2006 Rayman Raving Rabbids Ubisoft Platformer Wii Launch - November 2006 Cars THQ Racing Action Wii Launch - November 2006 GT Pro Series Ubisoft Racing Wii Launch - November 2006 Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII Ubisoft Flight Action Wii Launch - November 2006 Wii Sports Nintendo Sports Wii Launch - November 2006 Wii Motor Sports Airplane Nintendo Flight Wii Launch - November 2006 Open Season Ubisoft Action Adventure Wii Launch - November 2006 Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, The Nintendo Adventure Wii Launch - November 2006 Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors Square Enix Action Wii Launch - November 2006 Metal Slug Anthology SNK Playmore Action Compilation Wii Launch - November 2006 Marvel: Ultimate Alliance Activision Action RPG Wii Launch - November 2006 Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent Ubisoft Action Adventure Wii Launch - November 2006 Red Steel Ubisoft Shooter Wii Launch - November 2006 Barnyard THQ Adventure Wii Launch - November 2006 Far Cry Ubisoft Shooter Wii Launch - November 2006 Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz SEGA Action[/quote] WOW! Not as good as I first thought.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']The fact that its region free is mindblowing to me. I mean guys, now we can play games that we never would have been able to play before. That's freaking awesome!

Plus the entire weather, news updates, the Opera Web Browser, the picture editing software, and instant messaging others. I mean man! That's freaking insane. We never saw that coming. That and if you don't want the $200 version, wait a while and import the Japanese version. Like it's been said, it's region free![/QUOTE]

I'm not up on import titles, but from what I've seen from current gen is that I would rather have SONY titles, so this really makes no difference besides the low pricepoint for the Wii.

Also I find it comicla how everyone keeps cutting at those of us who complain about the $50, yet they're part of CheapAssGamer
$50 can be stretched very far and it will in my case because I'm passing on launch. Nintendo knows that this might be the last push for Hardware, so they're going to try and make a larger profit this go around instead of providing the consistent pricing from other console launches. This is poor Marketing and anyone who has taken one Marketing class can attest to this. Good Marketing focuses on meeting the consumer's needs and providing a product at a reasonable price; in not doing so a marketer can not attain what they desire and that is the profit. Knowing Nintendo's history this is not reasonable and I hope they enjoy holding up the totem pole again this go around.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']
Quick question, is the Wii shipping with componet cables, or the crappy yellow, white, and red ones that look like ass on my HDTVs?[/QUOTE]

It comes with standard A/V (yellow, white, and red), so yes it will look like complete ass on your HDTV.

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']I hope more people pass on it at launch 'cause of the price - it'll make my line waiting experience more pleasant! :)[/QUOTE]

And if no one buys the console, no one buys the games and no third party makes the games...

Just like a GC! What a great idea!

I'm sorry, but I have to address the comments about VC games being ridiculously priced. I'll concede that IMO $5 is a little high for NES games, but the SNES/Genesis and N64 price points seem spot on. And I simply don't understand the iTunes or cell phone comparisons. You honestly thought games, even NES games, would be priced the same as individual songs on iTunes? 99 cents? Really? Are you aware that as of Wednesday iTunes is selling games for the iPod that are little more than cell phone puzzlers for $5 a pop? Hell, iTunes is selling sub-DVD quality featureless movies now for $10 - $15. Moreover, would you walk into Best Buy and expect to pay the same price for a current gen game as you would for a CD? Of course not. That kind of value proposition is ridiculous.

Yes these are older games. Yes you may even own a bunch of them. But even disregarding any potential added functionality (use of new controllers, leaderboards, online play), this is a cheaper and more convenient way to play them than tracking down a cartridge and dragging out your old console. Why the outrage?

[quote name='neudog']I'm not up on import titles, but from what I've seen from current gen is that I would rather have SONY titles, so this really makes no difference besides the low pricepoint for the Wii.

Also I find it comicla how everyone keeps cutting at those of us who complain about the $50, yet they're part of CheapAssGamer
$50 can be stretched very far and it will in my case because I'm passing on launch. Nintendo knows that this might be the last push for Hardware, so they're going to try and make a larger profit this go around instead of providing the consistent pricing from other console launches. This is poor Marketing and anyone who has taken one Marketing class can attest to this. Good Marketing focuses on meeting the consumer's needs and providing a product at a reasonable price; in not doing so a marketer can not attain what they desire and that is the profit. Knowing Nintendo's history this is not reasonable and I hope they enjoy holding up the totem pole again this go around.[/quote]

Huh, the Wii will be the cheapest next-gen system on the market when it comes out, $50 or not.

Your comment about hardware is interesting speculation, but isn't rooted in sense: for one, game companies always take a loss in hardware. Economy of scale through the product life cycle is what ultimately drives hardware profits (if any) in the long run. Also, inflation would suggest that $250 is probably right in line with previous console releases--not to mention we have no idea how much Nintendo spent on R&D, let alone on producing this stuff, so who are we to judge how much this thing is supposed to be selling for?

Finally, remember too that marketing is just a tool of business. The bottom line is the bottom line and if that means the console needs to be sold at retail for $250, then so be it. Marketing's job is to make people believe that this price is appropriate and to make them want to buy it for that amount. It's when the marketers try to run the show that business gets messed up.

I thought each game would be diffently priced. Like a crap N64 game could be $5 and a good one $10.

I think NES games should be no more than $3. SNES is what $6.50? That's ok. I would do $3, $5 and $10. I guess it better than the rumoured $20 for some N64 / SNES games.

[quote name='neudog']I'm not up on import titles, but from what I've seen from current gen is that I would rather have SONY titles, so this really makes no difference besides the low pricepoint for the Wii.

$50 can be stretched very far and it will in my case because I'm passing on launch. Nintendo knows that this might be the last push for Hardware, so they're going to try and make a larger profit this go around instead of providing the consistent pricing from other console launches. This is poor Marketing and anyone who has taken one Marketing class can attest to this. Good Marketing focuses on meeting the consumer's needs and providing a product at a reasonable price; in not doing so a marketer can not attain what they desire and that is the profit. Knowing Nintendo's history this is not reasonable and I hope they enjoy holding up the totem pole again this go around.[/QUOTE]

Au contraire, a good CAG would know that $50 is easily reducible by various means. I don't plan to pay more than $100 out of my pocket for it.

[quote name='David85']And if no one buys the console, no one buys the games and no third party makes the games...

Just like a GC! What a great idea![/quote]
Except I sincerely doubt that entire turn of events will take place over, what, $35-50 bucks? Unlikely.

If a few dozen people in Birmingham, AL don't buy it because of that, THAT's what I'm concerned with - that'll make things easier for me, likely...and on November 19, that's what I'll be concerned with!

[quote name='rodeojones903']You have your choice between white, white, and white. :D[/QUOTE]

I think I'm going with the 3rd choice :rofl:

[quote name='rodeojones903']You have your choice between white, white, and white. :D[/quote]Don't forget Pearl Off-White:lol:

bread's done
Back