Wii Pre-Order Thread - Facts, Rumors and Everything In Between

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecofreak

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Some people have been asking about preordering the Wii. Right now there are two confirmed locations about where one can jump on the boat early.

B0009VXBAQ.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V41617776_.jpg

1. Gamestop
For Previous Information on Pre-Order Deal for HAWAII ONLY - Refer to this post: this post
Conditions: Unknown
Start of Preorder: Unknown
Link: http://www.gamestop.com/gs/wii/wii_signup.asp?

2. Amazon (Thanks to bmarquardt for the Heads Up)
Conditions: Unknown
Start of Preorder: September 15th
Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009VXBAQ/

3. FYE
Conditions: Put down $50
Start of Preorder: Sometime during late spring 2006
Store Locations: http://shop.fye.com/StoreLocator.aspx

4. Lik-Sang.com
Conditions: No Money Down
1. Your pre-order is not binding and you can cancel at any time.
2. Once release details are known, you will receive an email that you need to confirm.
3. Should you decide to confirm, you will keep your position in the pre-order list.
4. Unit price and features are not confirmed and can change at any time.
5. Release date is not confirmed and might change.
6. The product is listed with a dummy price - your credit card is NOT charged.
7. All special pre-orders are limited to a maximum of 1 unit.
8. Depending on release schedule, you will be offered choice between European, US or Japanese.
9. Choices and changes are also allowed if several editions/colors are made available.
10. Once games and accessories are confirmed, you will be able to add them to your order.
Start of Preorder: I forgot ^^;
Link: http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=351&products_id=6998&

I will update the post as more pre-orders (hopefully) start up. Good hunting!

[quote name='botticus']Alright, here's the real EB/GS preorder information out of Texas from a trusted source:
  • Stores will be taking preorders and you are not guaranteed a console by Christmas (as posted before)
  • Only the store manager will be ringing through the consoles on the register
  • The store manager will choose who gets a system and who is going to wait. (Sounds like if you are one to preorder things through them (PS3/Wii titles in particular) you will have a much better chance of getting a console) They are letting managers decide in order to prevent less people going to Ebay with the consoles.
  • There is no date set for preorders yet
  • Employees will NOT get pick from the first shipment
Please do not press for the source as they wish to remain anonymous. With 4000+ attendants at the conference, I'm sure it will pop up on other sites soon enough as confirmation.

I suppose this could be okay, since the manager at my store best hook me up with a console. Now we just need a date.[/quote]

Interesting. I'm not sure I like the 'manager chooses who gets one and who waits' part. Still, at least they aren't going ahead with that trade-in to pre-order crap. I wonder if Hawaii will get a normal crack at pre-orders or if we're all done here.

Hopefully those of us who pre-ordered during the trade-in to pre-order test run will still get our systems and not get screwed because of the above process.

I'd hate for the manager of my store to push me to the back of the line and sell my Wii to someone else.

(what the heck went wrong with my post... grr... thank goodness I type posts out in notepad)

[quote name='botticus']Seriously, my post above is for real.[/QUOTE]
I'm not going to say it isn't, but I think I'll wait for an official announcement.

[quote name='hack']Interesting. I'm not sure I like the 'manager chooses who gets one and who waits' part. Still, at least they aren't going ahead with that trade-in to pre-order crap. I wonder if Hawaii will get a normal crack at pre-orders or if we're all done here.

Hopefully those of us who pre-ordered during the trade-in to pre-order test run will still get our systems and not get screwed because of the above process.

I'd hate for the manager of my store to push me to the back of the line and sell my Wii to someone else because they felt like it. :/[/quote]

So where will you be waiting for your Wii/PS3 in Imaginary Land?

Will you be in line with him? Or you still picking yours up from HI?

[quote name='botticus']Source?[/QUOTE]

Talked to spectreon about 4:30 this afternoon and news from the Manager conference confirms the rumors.

[quote name='io']No kidding - and WHICH rumor? Aren't there like 10 competing ones? :rofl:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Yeah, we have enough of them. Lets wait for Gamestop/EB to tell us something...[/QUOTE]

If you checked previous posts in reference to this topic you would know that my comment had some validity. I know members get tired of rumors, but do a little research before posting.

[quote name='hack'][quote name='botticus']Alright, here's the real EB/GS preorder information out of Texas from a trusted source:
Stores will be taking preorders and you are not guaranteed a cons[/QUOTE]

How can they classify that as preorder. A preorder guarantees something; a console, place in line, anything. IMHO GS is going about this the wrong way especially with Wal-Mart and Costco/SAMS.

[quote name='PezRadar']In imaginary land.[/quote]Nah, the post is for real. If it's inaccurate, then someone who was at the conference got bad info or is distributing bad info. Probably the former.
[quote name='neudog']
How can they classify that as preorder. A preorder guarantees something; a console, place in line, anything. IMHO GS is going about this the wrong way especially with Wal-Mart and Costco/SAMS.[/quote]Well, technically it is guaranteeing you something... just not the time you will get it. That is, you would get it before someone who doesn't have a preorder. But yeah, they're doing it in idiotic fashion, since I thought the whole point of waiting around was to avoid repeating the 360 fiasco where they were filling launch-time preorders for 6 months.

[quote name='botticus']Seriously, my post above is for real.[/quote]
Well, hopefully. I won't have to worry about the manager screwing me over, since he seems like a pretty nice guy. If I do pre-order it at GameStop, I'm still getting there a couple of hours early!

this relaly sucks, i preordered some games at my EB with credit I had. They better at least be doing a midnight launch so I dont have to go to 2 stores.

[quote name='neudog']
If you checked previous posts in reference to this topic you would know that my comment had some validity. I know members get tired of rumors, but do a little research before posting.
.[/QUOTE]

I researched your posts - you said this:

Well the rumors about pre-orders at GS are now officially fact.

and before that just generic stuff about rumors. It seems your confirmation was of the "no preorders" rumor but that contradicts Botticus's info. I don't see any specific single "Rumor", and besides, you said the "rumorS" are fact. There are lots of them.

And PezRadar, if you have something to say, then fucking SAY IT! Would you like to fill us ignorant peons in on the REAL deal with the preorders, or just ridicule everyone's posts and provide no info? :rofl:

I'm not taking any of this seriously by the way - it's all in good fun (though I do want to know when and how preorders are going down eventually :lol:).

well just had a talk with a sony rep earlier today and they said there will be no preorders on the ps3 atleast so it doesnt become another 360 fiasco.

i talked to a ebgames store manager down where i live today...and when i asked him when they would start doing pre-orders he said they "were unsure"....and he said it with a HUGE stutter...and he also told me either the 9th of the 10th...so i guess im just going to be waiting outside of EBGAMES as early as possible on either day...too bad im going to be missing some classes both of those days....

I just cannot understand why GameStop/EB Games cannot just do a guaranteed- to-get-one-at-launch pre-order of the launch day allocation, once they get a confirmed allocation number of consoles and THEN do a continuation of that pre-order where the next spot in line is given the next console to arrive. That is a fair and logical way to do it, and it even leaves room for the fuckass employees to get the entire first shipment, if they care to do so, by preordering them first, after all their money is just as green.

Allowing some loser-ass retail manager to have a little bit of power in the vein of "you get to decide who gets the first consoles" is retarded and will be abused. Period. GS/EB already screws over their customers on the trade ins on a daily basis, I don't know why people continue to buy from them/sell to them. I am a lapsed hardcore gamer that hasn't been interested in gaming in a long while, because the majority of games are crap. These days I have more important/entertaining things to do than play the same-old formulaic games over and over, BUT I am excited for this generation mostly because of the innovation promised in the Wii (and also I want to make so extra cash eBaying PS3s/Wiis). I haven't bought games in a long time and when I do it certainly won't be from GS/EB other than as a source for hard to find consoles.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just disgusted with their business practices.

EB/GS has already lost my money. This pre-order crap is ridiculous, and the company in general has been slipping.

With that in mind, as well as the large amount of Wiis coming in, I figure I'll just spend a few hours waiting at Walmart or elsewhere.

[quote name='animemaniac14']so i apologize if im confused but gamestop/eb will NOT be taking pre-orders? is that right?[/QUOTE]

Hey man, you have nothing to apologize for besides your username. Just kidding..

Right now anything you have read in this thread is just as the title says "Facts, Rumors and Everything In Between". Did you notice the emphasis.

Everything preceding is all just rumour and innuedo, completely unconfirmed. If you want some confirmation, call up your local video game retailer and ask to speak to the manager, and then ask them.

There are some people posting here and elsewhere that think they have a [size=+2]LARGE[/size] ePenis for presenting rumors as fact. They thrive on people thinking that they have some kind of inside line that no one else knows, and are an awesome l33t guy.

I'm not calling anyone a liar directly, just stating generalization about people on the intertubes.

[quote name='animemaniac14']i talked to a ebgames store manager down where i live today...and when i asked him when they would start doing pre-orders he said they "were unsure"....and he said it with a HUGE stutter...and he also told me either the 9th of the 10th...so i guess im just going to be waiting outside of EBGAMES as early as possible on either day...too bad im going to be missing some classes both of those days....[/quote]

When I asked one of the GS employees last week if I could pay off my Wii pre-order, he said they couldn't do it because they don't have the skus for the system yet. He also mentioned they should be getting those in the system on the 9th, so I believe we will all get our answer to those burning pre-order questions at that time.

[size=+4]?????[/size]

If GS/EB do start pre-orders and you fully pay off your pre-order in advance does that typically guarantee that you will get it on launch day, ahead of people that just put $50 down?

[size=+4]?????[/size]

[quote name='BrandonOne']
Everything preceding is all just rumour and innuedo, completely unconfirmed. If you want some confirmation, call up your local video game retailer and ask to speak to the manager, and then ask them.
[/quote]The problem with that is that the people who are supplying said rumors are the managers that you would be talking to on the phone. And if the information supplied to me is correct, I can see why that wouldn't be made entirely public. Kinda shitty business to allow any number of people to put money down, and then selectively decide who can actually get something. No matter what they do with this (outside of no preorders period), it's going to be one big clusterfuck.

[quote name='BrandonOne'][SIZE=+4]?????[/SIZE]

If GS/EB do start pre-orders and you fully pay off your pre-order in advance does that typically guarantee that you will get it on launch day, ahead of people that just put $50 down?

[SIZE=+4]?????[/SIZE][/quote]

Hah. No. If it goes like it does in the past, first to pre-order, first to get system no matter how much you've put down...

[quote name='botticus']No matter what they do with this (outside of no preorders period), it's going to be one big clusterfuck.[/QUOTE]

I think we can all agree on that. Though I would put the "no preorders" under that category too. Unless they are VERY STRICT from on high about first come first serve, no employees getting dibs on launch day, no saving for friends, etc, there will be lots of under the table deals to get systems to certain people (friends of the manager, people he likes, whatever). This would pretty much amount to the same thing as preorders for select people - a manager who wanted to dole out the consoles to certain people even if they don't take preorders - which would be essentially the same thing Botticus heard (ie, manager tells you and a few other people you WILL get the systems, you show up on launch day and buy them - sort of a 'handshake' preorder).

Now, having said that, I might end up being the recipient of a system via manager's favor, as there is one store where I'm pretty friendly with the staff and have dropped a ton of preorders the last few months. So I'd prefer that system to a straight-up camp overnight scenario (which I simply won't do).

[quote name='BrandonOne']I just cannot understand why GameStop/EB Games cannot just do a guaranteed- to-get-one-at-launch pre-order of the launch day allocation, once they get a confirmed allocation number of consoles and THEN do a continuation of that pre-order where the next spot in line is given the next console to arrive.[/quote]

I'm laughing because that's how they have done system preorders since as early as the PS2 :p Problem with the 360 was MS gave out numbers, EB filled up their numbers, told the next few people they could preorder but they wouldn't get the first shipment, and then MS cut the allocation numbers in half.

[quote name='FantasiaWHT']I'm laughing because that's how they have done system preorders since as early as the PS2 :p Problem with the 360 was MS gave out numbers, EB filled up their numbers, told the next few people they could preorder but they wouldn't get the first shipment, and then MS cut the allocation numbers in half.[/quote]

um..no...ebgames was told to take as many preorders as they could, there were no numbers that they based it on

[quote name='ureadyforacold1']um..no...ebgames was told to take as many preorders as they could, there were no numbers that they based it on[/quote]

Right but they did tell people when they're "first shipment list" was full so people would know they would have to wait. At least they did here, letting people know what shipments they were in and so on.

Luckily my manager was in the store today and she said nothing was siad about a 9th or 10th pre-order (on either system) but after reading some of the stuff here I am not as confident in her answer.... nothing in emails yet either but since we have dial up:bomb: it could be a day or 2 before we'd know that way.... heres hoping....

Still should be getting mine on launch day so meh..... I'll post back if I get new info

[quote name='FantasiaWHT']I'm laughing because that's how they have done system preorders since as early as the PS2 :p Problem with the 360 was MS gave out numbers, EB filled up their numbers, told the next few people they could preorder but they wouldn't get the first shipment, and then MS cut the allocation numbers in half.[/quote]That's fucked up, man.

[quote name='io']
Now, having said that, I might end up being the recipient of a system via manager's favor, as there is one store where I'm pretty friendly with the staff and have dropped a ton of preorders the last few months. So I'd prefer that system to a straight-up camp overnight scenario (which I simply won't do).[/quote]

I'm banking on a manager's/staff's favor. I'm "the DS girl" at my store, and I preorder all my games at this one location. The staff will give me freebies like the Harvest Moon keychain and the Rocket Slime keychain, despite that I didn't order either of those games. The last time I was there, I mentioned the Hawaii preorder thing, and one of the staff was like, "If I can get around it, you can get the system just by paying." I think I'll be alright. My location is planning a midnight release, despite it being in a mall.

[quote name='ureadyforacold1']um..no...ebgames was told to take as many preorders as they could, there were no numbers that they based it on[/quote]

Yeah except for the fact that I worked at EB during the launches of:

PS2
GBA
XBOX
GC
GBA SP
DS
PSP
PS2 slim
X360

So I know what I'm talking about

If the pre-orders start on the next week for Ebgames/Gamestop, do you think I have a better chance getting a pre-order for launch day at an Ebgames in a Mall or at a strip Mall? I figure if I go to a mall, I just need to get their when the mall opens and run to ebgames to get in line. God I hope we get an actual confirmation when the actual day is going to be by this weekend.

EBGS still has no official date for pre-orders. *IF* they will be doing pre-orders for PS3 and/or Wii, they will be told the dates in approximately two weeks.

As there ought not be any huge production/distribution issues with the Wii, most folks should be able to find one with relative ease.

As for the PS3... from a very unofficial source, high volume EB stores will recieve 20 for launch date and lower volume stores will recieve 8. When and if a second shipment arrives before Christmas is anybody's guess. I couldn't tell you numbers such as Wally/Target/Amazon (the other largest resellers).

I hope we have a new thread for official preorder info so I don't need to sift through all this junk every day =)

[quote name='bryankot']I hope we have a new thread for official preorder info so I don't need to sift through all this junk every day =)[/QUOTE]

QFT

I just heard from my store manager yesterday that at the recent managers confernce for EB and Gamestop. That we will be taking pre-orders for the Wii and not the PS3 at Gamestop and EB at least in the Indiana area. I also have heard that pre-orders are the district mangers choice. Most Gamestop and EB stores will receive around 20-30 Wiis and a midnight launch is guranteed to happen.

Pre-orders could start as early as next Monday, but it shouldn't be any later than two weeks. I plan on being the first to pre-order one at my store considering that I am the assistant manger and I work alot, chances are I will be there when we start the pre-orders anyway.

[quote name='Sigma']I just heard from my store manager yesterday that at the recent managers confernce for EB and Gamestop. That we will be taking pre-orders for the Wii and not the PS3 at Gamestop and EB at least in the Indiana area. I also have heard that pre-orders are the district mangers choice. Most Gamestop and EB stores will receive around 20-30 Wiis and a midnight launch is guranteed to happen.

Pre-orders could start as early as next Monday, but it shouldn't be any later than two weeks. I plan on being the first to pre-order one at my store considering that I am the assistant manger and I work alot, chances are I will be there when we start the pre-orders anyway.[/QUOTE]

Man, I think the pre-orders on PS3 will varied through out the country. Most of the EB employees that have heard the pre-order info have stated that their stores will not be taking pre-orders. I'm starting to think that not many stores are going to offer PS3 pre-orders at all for launch.

[quote name='MadFlava']Man, I think the pre-orders on PS3 will varied through out the country. Most of the EB employees that have heard the pre-order info have stated that their stores will not be taking pre-orders. I'm starting to think that not many stores are going to offer PS3 pre-orders at all for launch.[/QUOTE]
Many won't, but if they do it will likely be a pay in full pre-order and stores will only take up to 2-4 pre-orders on the PS3.

Like I said though it's looking like the pre-orders will be up to distirct mangers and I know my district manger is all about Wii pre-orders and PS3 pre-orders are very doubtful.

I just got this email from my brother who just got back from the EB near his work.

I pre-ordered two games for the PS 3 at the EB Games down the road from work. They have this system going on that the first 25 people that order PS 3 Games will get a call for the pre-order of the PS 3. I was luck to be No. 10. The EB store is supposed to call and I am to give them my credit card over the phone, or stop by the store that day for the pre-order.

So for each store it is different. I'm going to call around tonight and see which each store is doing. I find it funny that you have to pre-order a game to pre-order a pre-order for the PS3. God this is silly. And people saying they are going to camp out to do a pre-order. I feel all of this defeats the purpose of pre-ordering a system.

[quote name='guinaevere']No, it isn't.

Whoever spoke to your brother was BSing him.[/QUOTE]

Some person on IGN forums claiming to be an EB games manager said that whether a store does PS3 pre-orders depends on what the manager of the store decides. For his store, he plans not to do pre-orders and make it first come first serve. Do we have any EB/Gamestop employees who can shed some light on if any decision on PS3 pre-orders have been made?

[quote name='MadFlava']Some person on IGN forums claiming to be an EB games manager said that whether a store does PS3 pre-orders depends on what the manager of the store decides. For his store, he plans not to do pre-orders and make it first come first serve. Do we have any EB/Gamestop employees who can shed some light on if any decision on PS3 pre-orders have been made?[/quote]Releasing the information on preorders is apparently a terminable offense, hence not many people are sharing.

[quote name='botticus']Releasing the information on preorders is apparently a terminable offense, hence not many people are sharing.[/QUOTE]

So what are they gonna do then? I am inclined to believe that the oct. 9/10 rumors must be false.. they are running out of time. I mean, what are they gonna do? Stand outside with a bullhorn on the 9th and start shouting?

"One day pre-orders, get in here QUICK!!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back