Wii Shop Channel Thread - 12/29 StarTropics II, Maboshi's Arcade, Cue Sports: Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SNES one is the only one I've played a ton of. IMO the later ones get too complicated and lose my interest too quickly. They're also all basically the same game with extra animals/town areas/festivals/etc. added.

So in short, yes.

[quote name='EXStrike']Wikipedia says something called Awesome Possum also was put on today, but that doesn't seem too fun.[/QUOTE]

i never thought that one would ever appear.. Next we will see Bubsy or Bill Laimbeer's combat basketball.

Lilboo,
System Headers are wizard(just saw juno,Yeah im am a fan of Micheal Cera a la arrested development/superbad)

i havent bought a vc title in weeks. i still have 800 points sitting there since september.
tagged.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I've never played a harvest moon and always wondered about em... would the SNES one be a good place to start?[/quote]

ditto. Is it worth 800 points?

[quote name='EXStrike']Wikipedia says something called Awesome Possum also was put on today, but that doesn't seem too fun.[/quote]
That game sucked. Even as a kid I knew it, and I unabashedly loved bad games like Rival Turf.

Plus it started a lifelong habit of saying "awesome possum." I am ashamed to say that I own a T-shirt with that phrase from Urban Outfitters.

[quote name='integralsmatic']i never thought that one would ever appear.. Next we will see ... Bill Laimbeer's combat basketball.
[/QUOTE]

Wow. I remember playing that game. Didn't it have spinning buzzsaw blades on the court?

(goes to google)

Yep. Bombs too. It's wiki page is suprisingly lacking.

Monday's releases:
StarTropics - NES - 500 Points
King of Fighters '94 - NeoGeo - 900 points

Yup. 2 Releases. I haven't played these 2, but I do hear good things about both of them. Discuss!

[quote name='lilboo']Monday's releases:

Yup. 2 Releases. I haven't played these 2, but I do hear good things about both of them. Discuss![/quote]
Star fucking Tropics, oh my god. Thank god I am going shopping tomorrow I need a points card now. I can't believe it.

StarTropics is basically Zelda 1 with less exploration and way better dungeons.

My god this night rules, lol. Thanks Lilboo.

Look, disappointment about your favorite game not being on the VC is a sentiment I've felt before, but you'll have to excuse me if I'm getting a little tired of it. If it's not this:

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Sigh.

Once again, no shining force 2. Boycott the wii til shining force 2 comes out[/quote]
It's this:

[quote name='starmen.net']Sigh.

Once again, no Earthbound. Boycott the wii til Earthbound comes out[/quote]
Or this:

[quote name='people who take IGN too seriously']Sigh.

Once again, no Super Mario RPG. Boycott the wii til Super Mario RPG comes out[/quote]
The list of games I'm waiting for is astronomically high. I even went on record as being disappointed about Earthbound not coming out for Christmas. I still know it's going to come out, though, and eventually, unless someone like Reggie comes out and deliberately says "The VC will NEVER get Earthbound, get over it." And I highly doubt that's going to happen. The games will come. Shining Force II, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Earthbound, SMRPG, all will come. In the meantime, the VC is growing steadily by the week and the vast picture of our video gaming history is slowly coming together.

[quote name='TehMuff1nM4n']Someone please gift me StarTropics on Monday! I will send payment via PayPal but I don't have enough for a points card.[/QUOTE]

You have $5 but not $20? Wow you are truly a CAG!

Star Tropics? fuck yes. This is a glorious day. I cannot wait. I loved the game on the NES. Now for Zoda' Revenge!

But, no Mario RPG, Kirby Superstar, or DK64? BOOOOO!

This talk about this StarTropics is making me curious. Very nice of it to be an NES game.. 500 points isn't too much of a gamble :D

Edit. Question: Would you like the second post to be updated weekly with the Japan & Europe updates? I don't want to keep 3 different lists of games (like make a list for Japan and a list for Europe like I have for our games..), but I was thinking about just using the second post just for tracking what Japan and Europe got that week. This way, we can use to compare. All 3 regions, for the most part, have the same games.

If you have any other suggestions about what I could do, just let me know :)
BTW, Rolento, I agree. I'll be adding the Internet Channel to the WiiWare list. In fact, I'll add whatever we currently have, even though they are all free. I forgot that the Internet channel costs money these days. Back in our days, it was free :D

[quote name='lilboo']This talk about this StarTropics is making me curious. Very nice of it to be an NES game.. 500 points isn't too much of a gamble :D

Edit. Question: Would you like the second post to be updated weekly with the Japan & Europe updates? I don't want to keep 3 different lists of games (like make a list for Japan and a list for Europe like I have for our games..), but I was thinking about just using the second post just for tracking what Japan and Europe got that week. This way, we can use to compare. All 3 regions, for the most part, have the same games.

If you have any other suggestions about what I could do, just let me know :)
BTW, Rolento, I agree. I'll be adding the Internet Channel to the WiiWare list. In fact, I'll add whatever we currently have, even though they are all free. I forgot that the Internet channel costs money these days. Back in our days, it was free :D[/quote]

Lilboo, I think that is an excellent idea about the Japan and European updates in the second posts. I would like it!

Hey lilboo, if you want the Japan/Europe release lists, you can use the ones I did on another forum here. I used your format (Name - Date) to list em out, but hey, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I sorta remember playing star tropics back in the day, still have it complete. I remember for one part of the game you had to put some water on a map or something that came with the manual to make a code appear. Wonder how people'll get around that part of the game?

Star Tropics!

I still have the cart, but I think I've resigned myself to rebuying the classics on VC since I likely won't ever bother going back to hoping they play without too much trouble in my NES. :whistle2:(

[quote name='super_nerd']I sorta remember playing star tropics back in the day, still have it complete. I remember for one part of the game you had to put some water on a map or something that came with the manual to make a code appear. Wonder how people'll get around that part of the game?[/QUOTE]

Gamefaqs, or most likely the code will be in the instructions included.

I want to get Star Tropocs, but I have the cart and two working NES consoles. But I could always get rid of the cart and get it on the VC.

StarTropics is an awesome Zelda-type game. I'll definitely get that one on monday, because it's been too many years since I've played this game.

I'm glad the game is on the VC despite being ignored forever, and despite having at least one thing that will make it a bit odd(the letter puzzle). I couldn't believe that StarTropics got no mention at all in Super Smash Bros. Melee. I would hope the game is in Brawl at least in some form, especially now that StarTropics will be available on the VC.

Well I know nothing of this game (StarTropics) so I'm not sure of what paper you all are speaking of.

However, if it is vital I'm SURE something will happen. I mean, each game does have it's own operations manual. It's also possible to give you whatever info you need on a message on your message board if you buy this game. Right..???

So what's this paper?

[quote name='lilboo']Well I know nothing of this game (StarTropics) so I'm not sure of what paper you all are speaking of.

However, if it is vital I'm SURE something will happen. I mean, each game does have it's own operations manual. It's also possible to give you whatever info you need on a message on your message board if you buy this game. Right..???

So what's this paper?[/quote]

Basically it was a note that came with the game. You had to dip it in water and a message would appear that is very useful later on in the game. In fact you need it to advance in the game. As you can imagine it was a pain in the ass if you rented the game and got to the point where you needed that letter.

startropics-6.png

Never played StarTropics either, it doesn't look that great to me. It might be one of those "had to be there" type of games.

Yeah, a friend of mine rented StarTropics back in the day and couldn't advance past the part where you need the clue, so I never gave the game a try. But I have always heard good things about it.

It does kind of suck that we are only getting 2 games, but didn't someone say that the 200th VC game was coming up very soon? Maybe it is to balance it out or something.

Doesn't Japan already have 200+ games?

Startropics was probably my favorite NES game back in the day. Played through it god knows how many times. Don't remember if I still own it, but I may not be able to resist rebuying it.

I always wanted to play Star Tropics. Sadly I haven't bought a VC game for a long time. I just have too many other games to play right now.

[quote name='lilboo']Monday's releases:

Yup. 2 Releases. I haven't played these 2, but I do hear good things about both of them. Discuss![/quote]

Another week with my points just waiting to be spent, oh well. Not really a bad thing since I'm still broke from Christmas.

[quote name='yukine']Never played StarTropics either, it doesn't look that great to me. It might be one of those "had to be there" type of games.[/quote]

False.

[quote name='lilboo']
[/QUOTE]
Maybe you could make a section of games released in other regions and also ones that are reviewed in the ESRB. Kind of like a pool of games that are upcoming/confirmed?

I love the new look lilboo.

Star Tropics might be a buy for me. I've just decided to get my old NES hooked up to my bigger tv in an effort to stop rebuying games I own already. Star Tropics is one of those games.

You definately should add the Opera Wii Browser to the Wii Ware section. If I were running this thread, I'd add all Wii Ware channels, but whatever.

Hopefully nintendo will find someway to remedy the situation with star tropics.. cuz Im pretty sure the code is required to pass through -_-V

I would hope at the very least that part of the game requires you to leave the game & check the manual. That still wouldn't be perfect, but it still would be in the same spirit as the original way of obtaining the password.

I'm sure they'll figure something out anyway, it's not like the password is particularly hard to remember. I'm just looking forward to playing the game again, my NES hasn't worked in a long time and StarTropics is easily one of my favorite games on the system.

[quote name='seanr1221']Star Tropics is GREAT. But what will you do when you have to use the included paper with the game to get further?[/QUOTE]

VC Games come with manuals, just hit the home button and submerge your TV in a bathtub.

Voila!
appears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back