Wii Shop Channel Thread - 12/29 StarTropics II, Maboshi's Arcade, Cue Sports: Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='yukine']Prove me wrong then, biotch![/quote]

Buy it and you'll see. :D

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Hopefully nintendo will find someway to remedy the situation with star tropics.. cuz Im pretty sure the code is required to pass through -_-V[/quote]

Come on. Do you really think they would release it and do nothing about that situation? Nevermind the fact that even if they were to do nothing about it, it's all over the internet. ^_____________________________________________^;;;;;;;;;;

[quote name='Doomed']You definately should add the Opera Wii Browser to the Wii Ware section. If I were running this thread, I'd add all Wii Ware channels, but whatever.[/QUOTE]

Actually I am going to do that, I just am going to wait until tomorrow. Just don't want to look at this list until I have to..LOL It was semi a pain in the ass to put together. So yeah expect the WiiWare titles (Internet & free shit) to be added in next update..aka tomorrow.

Star Tropics is definitely a much forgotten classic. I finally finished the game a couple years ago, and at the end the game gets haaaaaaard. The biggest bunch of crap is that what weapon you are allowed to use is determined by how many hearts you have, and it's impossible to beat Zoda at the end of the game with anything but the strongest weapon, so if you take too much damage, you're fucked.

[quote name='lilboo']However, if it is vital I'm SURE something will happen. I mean, each game does have it's own operations manual. It's also possible to give you whatever info you need on a message on your message board if you buy this game. Right..???[/QUOTE]

Having the letter appear on your message board? That would be incredible. They rigged Pokemon Snap to work with it, so it's certainly possible that you could get the letter there.

I rented Startropics back in the day, and it was awesome. I remember getting to the letter part, and either the game must have told me what to do, or maybe it was in a Nintendo Power issue, because otherwise I wouldn't have figured it out. Especially since I didn't get the letter with my rental. So it was off to the Nintendo tips phone line (with my parent's permission of course). The weird thing about it? The road I lived on at the time...
route 747 :shock:

lilboo, just something that is really nipticky, but not necessary that can make the OP look slightly nicer, so if you don't want to do it, don't:

in the OP the images, use the
command. might even things out.​

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']lilboo, just something that is really nipticky, but not necessary that can make the OP look slightly nicer, so if you don't want to do it, don't:

command. might even things out.[/QUOTE]

Nah, I disagree. The headers should be over the text, which often doesn't go that far center/right. They stand out enough to not get lost.

Great design and post! Cheers!​

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']lilboo, just something that is really nipticky, but not necessary that can make the OP look slightly nicer, so if you don't want to do it, don't:

command. might even things out.[/QUOTE]

While playing with the images (when I was making that contest, actually) I tried that. I really did not like the way it looked! But thanks for the feedback though :)

[quote name='tankexmortis']Methinks someone is trying to trick us into gifting him Startropics.:lol:[/quote]

Shhh.... :ziplip:

:D

[quote name='Travelsized']I rented Startropics back in the day, and it was awesome. I remember getting to the letter part, and either the game must have told me what to do, or maybe it was in a Nintendo Power issue, because otherwise I wouldn't have figured it out.[/QUOTE]
It was in an issue of NP. I remember I got it in between when I had to return the rental, and when I bought the game.

[quote name='Travelsized']Having the letter appear on your message board? That would be incredible. They rigged Pokemon Snap to work with it, so it's certainly possible that you could get the letter there. [/quote]

If they did that, I would buy it just for that. Although, I'm probably going to buy it anyway because every speaks so highly of it.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']looking forward to probably getting star tropics today![/quote]It'll be there.

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO NEW CLASSIC GAMES ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Jan. 7, 2008
Can't believe it's already 2008? Soothe that sense of future shock with a visit to the Wii Shop Channel, where we've just added a pair of awesome vintage games from way back in the 20th century. This week's new offerings include an unpredictable island-hopping adventure and a legendary fighting title, each guaranteed to deliver classic gaming excitement throughout the new year and beyond.

Two new classic games go live at 9 a.m. Pacific time. Nintendo adds new games to the Wii Shop Channel every Monday. Wii™ owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

Star Tropics™ (NES®, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Mild Fantasy Violence, 500 Wii Points): Find out just how resourceful you can be in this classic game, with its mixture of adventure and RPG elements. Step into the shoes of Mike Jones, a teenage star pitcher from Seattle who has come to the tropics to visit his famous archeologist uncle, Dr. Jones. After being told that his uncle has been abducted, Mike begins a perilous quest in order to rescue him and figure out the mysterious plot behind his disappearance. Luckily for Mike, he meets helpful villagers and finds more powerful weapons as he explores numerous locations and island-hops using his uncle's submarine. You'll never know what to expect next as the cosmic story unfolds over the course of eight action-packed chapters, ranging from Dr. Jones's lab on C-Island to an alien spacecraft. Who knew a tropical vacation could turn into a mission to save the world?

THE KING OF FIGHTERS '94 (NEOGEO, 1-2 players, Rated T for Teen-Animated Blood, Mild Language, Mild Suggestive Themes, Alcohol & Tobacco Reference, Violence, 900 Wii Points): As the first game in the long-running KING OF FIGHTERS series, THE KING OF FIGHTERS '94 brought together popular characters from other well-known franchises and pitted them against each other. Match warriors from Fatal Fury against favorites from its sister series, Art of Fighting. Or see if the casts of the Ikari Warriors and Psycho Soldier series better suit your fighting style. Plus, there's a set of brand new characters, exclusive to the KOF series, who are willing to join the fray. But there's a twist: Instead of the standard best-two- out-of-three-rounds fight setup, players choose one of eight teams, each made up of three teammates. To win, all members of the other team must be eliminated before your fighters are knocked out. Use the game's power gauge to inflict maximum damage and end the round with a devastating finishing move. It's a battle royal unlike anything else-a game whose inspiration is easily seen in the fighting games that followed it. Can your team be the last one standing?

For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com.

How long does it take to beat Star Tropics, rough estimate? 5 hours? 10 hours? 20 hours? I'm hoping for a shorter game.

From a comment at GoNintendo re: the water trick in Startropics:

HAHA! Thats’ awesome.
the Operation’s Manual comes with a virtual version of the letter.

It has an “Add Water” button, that reveals the code when pressed.

That's just dorky enough for me to wuv.

Hmm Startropics is just as awesome as I rember it. The water thing in the operation's manuel is cool.

fuck yeah, just bet chapter 3 and 4. Now I can finally finish this fucker (hopefully, lol). Only my 2nd time I think ever I cleared Chapter 3 (when I bet it the first time it was right before I sold my NES, but I never got farther than the beginning of Chapter 5).

Chapter 3 Spoilers
Finished the graveyard dungeon on my last life and half a heart left I got lucky as hell, lol

Nah, every now and then we get 2 games and sometimes 4. We are up to 192 games, so our "200th Game!" should be here end of the month. Hope they make a big stink about it like they did when they reached 100.

[quote name='rapsodist']If only the game itself could be fake.[/quote]
I am way late to the Awesome Possum discussion, but I am compelled to come to its defense. When it comes to the VC, I am gifting it to everyone and making you play. To this day I am convinced that I am such a dilligent recycler because of the hours I spent riding a bee and collecting mysteriously floating aluminum cans.

Also, no Shining Force 2; wah wah wah.

[quote name='Strell']From a comment at GoNintendo re: the water trick in Startropics:

That's just dorky enough for me to wuv.[/quote]That's... awesome.

[quote name='E_G_Man']Which KoF is the best version?[/QUOTE]

Of the Neo Geo ones? Probably '98 or 2002. Both those get tons of love. My personal fave is '98 followed closely by '97.

[quote name='botticus']That's... awesome.[/quote]

Sure is. Sadly I only have 300 points so I'm going to quick buy 1000 online since there's no tax in FL.

I picked up Star Tropics this afternoon, and it's just as good as I remembered it. I played it for about 2 hours when I got it without even realizing it. I recommend that anyone on the fence about this game should pick it up right away. It's a shame they never continued the series past the sequel.

So can anyone recommend KoF '94? I was thinking about making it my first Neo-Geo game but I'm torn between it or waiting for Samurai Showdown.

Just bought Star Tropics and ran through the first area and got to the second. I love how I still remember all the scerets from the beginning of the game. After the third or fourth area I could never beat it, though. Hopefully I'll be able to now.

I definitely beat StarTropics before, and remember Zoda being a very frustrating final boss(but to be fair, in the NES days most final bosses were pretty difficult).

I'm only on chapter 3 right now, which is the annoying chapter of the game. I remember really disliking the graveyard dungeon before(just because it's so hard), and not much has changed. Also I completely forgot how to use items, so I had to look that up(since there's no way to finish the graveyard dungeon without using an item to make the ghosts visible).

Still, the game is very enjoyable, and it's just like I remember it. I would definitely say this is a game that still holds up today.

[quote name='Halo05']Of the Neo Geo ones? Probably '98 or 2002. Both those get tons of love. My personal fave is '98 followed closely by '97.[/quote]

Thanks, I guess I will keep waiting then.

[quote name='NeoSmith19']I picked up Star Tropics this afternoon, and it's just as good as I remembered it. I played it for about 2 hours when I got it without even realizing it. I recommend that anyone on the fence about this game should pick it up right away. It's a shame they never continued the series past the sequel.

So can anyone recommend KoF '94? I was thinking about making it my first Neo-Geo game but I'm torn between it or waiting for Samurai Showdown.[/quote]

Don't waste yer points ya fruit :mrgreen:

By the way, have you bought DKC2 yet? If so, is it as good as I remember? I have 1500 points and can't decide between that and Super Metroid.

[quote name='2Fast']Don't waste yer points ya fruit :mrgreen:

By the way, have you bought DKC2 yet? If so, is it as good as I remember? I have 1500 points and can't decide between that and Super Metroid.[/quote]
Donkey Kong Country 2 ain't a bad game but I can't see how anyone would choose it over Super Metroid!

[quote name='rapsodist']Donkey Kong Country 2 ain't a bad game but I can't see how anyone would choose it over Super Metroid![/quote]

I loved DKC2 as a kid and have never played Super Metroid. Perhaps you can see my dilemma: game I already love, or game I've never played that I'm pretty sure I'll love.

[quote name='2Fast']I loved DKC2 as a kid and have never played Super Metroid. Perhaps you can see my dilemma: game I already love, or game I've never played that I'm pretty sure I'll love.[/quote]

Ah, nostalgia, can't argue with that! I know that if it were me in that situation, I'd just go with the game I already love first. Another $8 will come along in due time anyway.

Besides, you might not want to give too much weight to my recommendation: I would choose Super Metroid over nearly every other game in existence.

[quote name='rapsodist']Ah, nostalgia, can't argue with that! I know that if it were me in that situation, I'd just go with the game I already love first. Another $8 will come along in due time anyway.

Besides, you might not want to give too much weight to my recommendation: I would choose Super Metroid over nearly every other game in existence.[/QUOTE]

So would I.

Super Metroid > DKC2. But they're still both pretty awesome.

Deffiently go for DKC 2, but get Super Metroid ASAP after that. The reason is so you are not like I should of got DKC 2 instead. You want to go into Super Metroid with a free mind because it is a awesome game, and well you don't want any other thoughts of games ruining the expierence since you never played it.

Can't wait till tomorrow going to tackle Chapter 5 of Startropics (I would of tackled it tonight but I don't want to wake anyone with my TV blasting at midnight, lol).

[quote name='2Fast']Don't waste yer points ya fruit :mrgreen:

By the way, have you bought DKC2 yet? If so, is it as good as I remember? I have 1500 points and can't decide between that and Super Metroid.[/quote]

Nah I haven't bought any of the DKC's yet. I played DKC2 not too long ago when I hooked my Snes back up and it's still fun, but I couldn't get into it like I did when we used to play it as kids. But I must say that it held up way more than the first one did.

Oh and Super Metroid is a blast, but as far as your decision goes I'd say go with DKC2 first. Then immediately get more points and purchase Super Metroid.

Japan got 2 games today.
They got:
Yie Ar Kung-Fu, NES, 500 Points
Samurai Ghost, TG16, 600 Points
(The name of Samuari Ghost in Japan is Genpei Toumaden Kannoni, for a fun fact)

Anyone know if there's a way to view pics you take in Pokemon Snap...and send them to people on the Wii? I heard at one point you could do it...but not so sure if I'm right or just plain crazy.

[quote name='t0llenz']Anyone know if there's a way to view pics you take in Pokemon Snap...and send them to people on the Wii? I heard at one point you could do it...but not so sure if I'm right or just plain crazy.[/QUOTE]

In the game, hit the home button. Click on the operations menu. It'll explain how to do that.
Sadly, you can only post 1 picture a day to your Wii message board.

That's okay with me, not like my pictures are any good. I wasn't very good on the N64 version...but I've been playing the VC version a bunch more. I'm getting there. Got a few fun pictures of Meowth knocked out by apples :)

Thanks, lilboo

Wait till King of Fighters 96 and purchase it along with 97 and 98! You won't be sorry, but you'll want an arcade stick.

Samurai shodown 2 is superior to Samurai Shodown 1 in every way! And The Last Blade 1 is even better.

[quote name='Mr. Roper']Wait till King of Fighters 96 and purchase it along with 97 and 98! You won't be sorry, but you'll want an arcade stick.

Samurai shodown 2 is superior to Samurai Shodown 1 in every way! And The Last Blade 1 is even better.[/QUOTE]

KOF 94 is a fun game in its own right and for $9 its a steal for an arcade perfect game. I'll be DLIng both games shortly

[quote name='mephitical']I am way late to the Awesome Possum discussion, but I am compelled to come to its defense. When it comes to the VC, I am gifting it to everyone and making you play. To this day I am convinced that I am such a dilligent recycler because of the hours I spent riding a bee and collecting mysteriously floating aluminum cans.

Also, no Shining Force 2; wah wah wah.[/quote]
I honestly can't tell if you're being facetious. I didn't enjoy Awesome Possum at all when I was younger, and I was a sucker for any colorful mascot platformer. But if you loved it, and managed to learn something from it, too, then more power to you!

[quote name='rapsodist']I honestly can't tell if you're being facetious. [/quote]
That's my goal in life.

It was one of those intesenly aggravating 16-Bit platform games that had enough going for it that I was compelled to play over and over. Kind of like Psycho Fox/Decap Attack, which I would also get on the VC.

[quote name='Kendal']Any leaks on next weeks games yet? Please be EVO.[/quote]

I think it's a little early for that. We just got this week's games. I think they're normally leaked over the weekend.

Startropics is such fun.. -_-V

But shining force 2.. sigh.. or evo.. god evo was great..

That was the game where you started each level as a different animal.. and the first level you were the fish.. then the second some sort of dinosaur?

I remember that game being long as hell and hard :(

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Startropics is such fun.. -_-V

But shining force 2.. sigh.. or evo.. god evo was great..

That was the game where you started each level as a different animal.. and the first level you were the fish.. then the second some sort of dinosaur?

I remember that game being long as hell and hard :([/quote]Yessir. Loved that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back