Wii Shop Channel Thread - 12/29 StarTropics II, Maboshi's Arcade, Cue Sports: Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its so easy to waste hours just fucking around with this game.

I remember picking up a buddy that had a trash can, and ran and threw him towards the wall. He then threw the trash can while I kicked a box and then jumped, and the result was his trash can landing ON THE BOX AFTER THEY BOTH BOUNCED OFF THE WALL, WHICH I THEN LANDED ON BOTH AND STILL HAD ENOUGH MOMENTUM TO KILL A RUNNING FRAT GUY.

Took 40 minutes. True story.

2P + Acro Circus + Tires + Benny & Clyde = HILARITY

Edit: I just realized I was like 10 years old when the above happened, making this game almost 20 YEARS OLD. Christ, I'm 2 steps from the retirement home. I'm pretty sure the game has aged better than I have

Dave

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Wikipedia says it'll connect to Diamond and Pearl.

It might be worth it just to get the freebie Pokémon. I know Diamond and Pearl are on sale this week, but I've got Mario Kart plans and I probably shouldn't spend upwards of $100 on games in one week. :whistle2:k[/quote]

I know you can hook up with diamond/pearl to send pokemon to the ranch, but I've seen nothing saying that you can send pokemon from the ranch over to diamond/pearl.

High Voltage Software announces "Gyrostarr"

There's a video, but I don't think I can embed it.

Anyway, essentially a version of Tempest for Wiiware - you are constantly moving forward, and can move left and right to shoot enemies before they get to you. Has multiplayer capabilities, techno soundtrack, etc. These are the guys who might bring "The Condiut" out, so I am probably going to grab this to support their efforts.

Looks pretty standard, but could be a lot of fun. Kind of sad that Wiiware seems to kick the shit out of most Wii retail releases, but I guess that's the breaks right now.

I am having serious, serious questions about releasing Rondo. Is it going to include all the cutscenes and music and whatnot that apparently makes this game so special?

How? I guess compression routines are improved or something, but still...I just don't know.

[quote name='Strell']I am having serious, serious questions about releasing Rondo. Is it going to include all the cutscenes and music and whatnot that apparently makes this game so special?

How? I guess compression routines are improved or something, but still...I just don't know.[/QUOTE]

TGCD games are already like 150+ blocks. :cry:

P.S. Where the fuck is this Everybody's god damn motha fuckin Nintendo channel?!

OR the long awaited Everybody's Strell Channel. Must watch shower scenes on Wii. *inserts 500 points*

[quote name='lilboo']
OR the long awaited Everybody's Strell Channel. Must watch shower scenes on Wii. *inserts 500 points*[/quote]
Holy shit. I'll just be... remembering that for the rest of my life. THANKS. Strell, I'm guessing your avatar is a picture of yourself, right? Anything less and I'd be disappointed.

[quote name='lilboo']OR the long awaited Everybody's Strell Channel. Must watch shower scenes on Wii. *inserts 500 points*[/quote]

:puke:

But yeah, I think the Everybody channel comes out in May?

[quote name='lilboo']
OR the long awaited Everybody's Strell Channel. Must watch shower scenes on Wii. *inserts 500 points*[/QUOTE]

The Wii doesn't have the processing power to process the power of my wii. I thought we all knew this.

Well I'm glad I looked at this thread just now because now I actually have a gameplan for RCR. Up until now I've been just getting random items from shops and then proceeding to get my ass kicked wondering why my Defense is so low.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I think I'm going to have to pick that up. Can't beat $7, less than an SNES game. I wonder if it's only local multiplayer or if there's online. I didn't notice if it mentioned it in the article.[/QUOTE]

Huh. They updated the article since I read it this afternoon. There weren't music links earlier, and they didn't know what the price would be.

700 points is 300 less than I thought it would go for (at the minimum, considering the damn prices), so I'll be adding this one to my list of Wiiware titles to pick up on launch day (assuming it hits on launch).

[quote name='yukine']:puke:

But yeah, I think the Everybody channel comes out in May?[/QUOTE]

In February, we were told a month.
That's March.
It's now mid-end April. Siiiiiiiiiigh.

[quote name='Strell']High Voltage Software announces "Gyrostarr"

There's a video, but I don't think I can embed it.

Anyway, essentially a version of Tempest for Wiiware - you are constantly moving forward, and can move left and right to shoot enemies before they get to you. Has multiplayer capabilities, techno soundtrack, etc. These are the guys who might bring "The Condiut" out, so I am probably going to grab this to support their efforts.

Looks pretty standard, but could be a lot of fun. Kind of sad that Wiiware seems to kick the shit out of most Wii retail releases, but I guess that's the breaks right now.[/quote]
That looks fantastic. Kind of like a multiplayer version of that one Kenda Cho game, forget the title at the moment. For seven bucks, it's a definite purchase - glad to see some hardcore stuff on WiiWare.

[quote name='Strell']Went ahead and beat RCR.

I love the cheesy ending.
"All the gang members returned to school and became honor students. Cindi was saved in time to finish her shopping." That and the final enemy is your childhood friend Simon, who says "What do you mean Slick sounds dumber than Simon?"

I also love it when you get the Gold Medal item (from the secret Merlin shop) and use it. "Alex used the gold medal...and was allowed to keep it after a drug test."

That and Hyperball (I think that is what it is called). "Alex played a game of hyperball. It was almost as fun as River City Ransom."

Still an incredible game. A little shorter than I remember, but since I knew where to go for everyone and the secret shop, I was able to max out my character in a few hours.

I'm going to play through it with Ryan next. I don't think it changes anything, but Imma do it anyway. Hopefully I can get some friends over to co-op through it.

This game is just pure gold. I believe there's a sequel on the SNES that was Japan only (I'm about to confirm this with Hardcoregaming.com) that I'd love to see brought over on the VC.[/QUOTE]

Ah yes, this article. Interestingly enough, the article mentions a more direct sequel to RCR on the NES, where you play as Kunio's ancestor who embarks on a quest in historical Japan (Probably Edo period).

The "true" sequel to River City Ransom that takes removes the setting from the modern day and back in time to medieval Japan. As the Kunio's ancestor Kunimasa, you must travel through the country to find medicine for your master, all while beating up any rival gangs you come across. Unlike River City Ransom, which was fairly linear, Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki allows you to freely explore the landscape. This may sound like an interesting idea, but it tends to get really confusing, really quickly. Additionally, you always have a partner helping you, even in single player mode. Unfortunately, the extra character sprite, combined with some of the fancy background effects, spells plenty of slowdown for the poor Famicom. Much like River City Ransom, there are shops where you can purchase items and techniques, although the stat growth system is a bit different. You gain experience by beating up enemies, and you can choose how fast different stats will grow. Despite its technical flaws and confusing layout, it's a pretty cool game, even if it isn't quite up to River City Ransom's caliber. This was also released on the Gameboy Advance in the Kunio-Kun Nekketsu Collection Vol. 3 in 2006.

[quote name='ddp72984']http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167518

sorry to change subject, but...

SPLATTERHOUSE RETURNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

I bought that game because everyone was talking pretty highly of it. I really didn't like it. A new version, however, could be pretty awesome.

But the article doesn't say (or I misread) what system it's coming out on.

[quote name='lilboo']I bought that game because everyone was talking pretty highly of it. I really didn't like it. A new version, however, could be pretty awesome.

But the article doesn't say (or I misread) what system it's coming out on.[/QUOTE]

Splatterhouse 2 and 3 are more of a 2.5d setup (like Double Dragon). But, the differences beyond that are very minor.

Does RCR seems slower with 2 players. It seems much faster with 1 player for me. I can't play with my friend, he keeps murdering me with thrown weapons and I lose half my $$ each time. :cry: I can't afford any books that way.

Here you go, Lilboo.

The ENC is set to launch alongside Wiiware, supposedly with all the perks of the Japanese version.

My second gift to you after the lengthy movie that should be in your mailbox.

I guess I'll delete the Internet channel since I never use it, and I need the damn 233 blocks it is taking up...

Edit: fuck.

Fils-Aime said that in the U.S., WiiWare releases would likely follow the Virtual Console model, meaning a staggered release schedule of a few games per week, rather than a whole bunch at once followed by a month-long dry spell.

I can't even imagine how much NoA is going to ruin this. He's talking about avoiding a month-long dry spell, and all I can imagine right now is a game every three weeks to achieve that.

Sigh. Just very, very wary about this comment.

Hooray!
So I'm assuming they mean it'll be out May 12th too? But this could also mean anytime after WiiWare is launched :lol:.. :cry:

I can see this happening.. ::shudder::
May 12 is a Monday. So I could see one of 2 options happening:
1 VC game + 1 WiiWare title (along with the Everybody's Nintendo Channel)
or
NO VC games and 2 WiiWare titles (again with the ENC)

Next week, (and so on) we get ONE VC game + 1 WiiWare title :lol:... :cry:

[quote name='pete5883']The page you linked to doesn't say May 12 anywhere. Where did you get the date from?[/quote]

Here's another article

I haven't seen the official press release yet so I probably shouldn't have said officially announced (my bad), but the Wired article has Cammie Dunaway talking about it so someone from NOA is confirming it (or at least not denying it). WiiWare was announced for May 12th a while ago. I'm sure something official will be coming out soon.

Just for the heads up, the Wii Shop channel thread is stickied up top, which is probably where this could have gone. ... I mean I guess it would go there, I dunno. I posted about them in there.

I'm thinking we need a few more "catch all" threads, honestly, but LinkinPrime already came in and ruined that.

[quote name='Strell']Just for the heads up, the Wii Shop channel thread is stickied up top, which is probably where this could have gone. ... I mean I guess it would go there, I dunno. I posted about them in there.

I'm thinking we need a few more "catch all" threads, honestly, but LinkinPrime already came in and ruined that.[/quote]

I didn't even think of that thread! Very sorry, please merge with that thread.

My bad!

No biggie. If I had the ability to do so, I'd do it.

In related news, the next three weeks are going to be a bit of a long and annoying wait.

[quote name='Strell']No biggie. If I had the ability to do so, I'd do it.

In related news, the next three weeks are going to be a bit of a long and annoying wait.[/QUOTE]

Mario Kart gives you the middle finger :nottalking:

High Voltage announces their second Wiiware hopeful, "Animales De Le Muerte"

Think Viva Pinata, only the animals are zombies instead of pinatas, and are bloodthirsty, ravenous beasts that you have to gun down. Features include an old Mexican zookeeper chainsawing an elephant's skull in half right before your character.

Don't know what to say about this one. It has that twisted sense of humor you see in things like Psychonauts and Monster Madness (I think that's what it is called, it's on the 360/PC). Also, having Mexican art/music inspirations as the overall theme reminds me of Grim Fandango.

Gameplay looks like your general "shoot everything that moves" sort of thing. So essentially Smash TV, but with zombie animals. I know I compared this to Viva Pinata, but I don't think there are simulation elements. Granted, I haven't read the article about this game, so maybe it's down in there. Just wanted to get the word out quickly over here first and provide a link.

I have to give them credit on the bad guy's design - he looks like an even more evil Waluigi (I'd have said Mario, but he's more of a Waluigi character).

I have to give these guys credit on creating games that could have some broad appeal and good multiplayer capabilities. I hope the games end up being good.

[quote name='Strell']High Voltage announces their second Wiiware hopeful, "Animales De Le Muerte"[/quote]
Wow, this looks fantastic. I'm starting to have high hopes for these guys - if they can give these new efforts the same level of quality they gave Citizen Kabuto, we'll be in for a treat (or, uh, three - how many games are these guys making? Sheesh!).

Is anyone else shocked that NoA is letting a game featuring animal-killing Catholic priests onto their system? Not that I'm complaining.

I just thought about how this is coming out on 5/12, which is the same size of the flash memory, which is painfully being tortured already by my VC collection.

I wonder if the date chosen was on purpose. Like maybe some exec up at NoA is having a huge laugh right now. What better way to commemorate the fact that my system couldn't store anything else than by releasing more shit for it?

That actually reminded me of this comic

2007-03-21.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back