Wii U back in stock @ Target

Yeah, I bought 3 thinking I could flip two to almost pay for keeping 1. Now I need to return 2 (eating shipping cost and go through the hassle). I'll probably still keep the 3rd, but haven't plugged it in or anything.

I can't believe anybody is buying this system for $350. I imagine a lot of flippers are disappointed that this system is available at a lot of stores. The controller alone is a deal breaker, IMO.

[quote name='SaraAB']I haven't even heard rumblings of a full Pokemon RPG for the 3DS yet, which means it will be about 2 years from now before one hits the USA.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo Power's sneak ahead to the December issue showed a cover saying Pokemon 3DS. Of course I don't know if that means a 3DS Pokemon game or just speculation or something not really a 3DS game. In any case I don't think it's up to Nintendo. The Pokemon Company is separate from Nintendo as far as I understand it.

As long as the system doesn't have a price drop before Monster Hunter Ultimate comes out in March (and it won't) I am totally happy having bought it day one. Pretty sure MH Tri is one of my favorite games ever.

For all the people posting for no reason other than to question another person's choice in purchasing it I really don't understand what your goal is. It's been like 6 years since a new console has come out, and $350 really isn't some ridiculous amount of money. Hell there is a new $500+ iPad every year, this time even less than a year. Granted it's not the exact same situation, but a few hundred dollars every 6-7 years to get the newest console is really just not that much.

And my sig will show you I am no Nintendo fanboy, not by a long shot, but there are games on every system that I enjoy having the option to play.

[quote name='daminion']I returned my black Wii U on Wednesday after my son says to me, I no longer want a Wii U for Christmas since there is only one good game for it (referring to Mario).

He told me to wait until there are more games and it gets cheaper. 11 year old CAG in training.

The Target I returned it to had 4 black Wii Us and 6 white on display.[/QUOTE]

Daminion, that is some excellent CAG parenting. I know you are proud.

6 years = 72 months.

350/72 = 4.86.

So, you're basically spending less than $5 a month for all the benefits of using the Wii U and having access to an enormous amount of games and Virtual Console titles as well as all the movie/ TV offerings. Not bad in my estimation.

[quote name='croqoa']As long as the system doesn't have a price drop before Monster Hunter Ultimate comes out in March (and it won't) I am totally happy having bought it day one. Pretty sure MH Tri is one of my favorite games ever.

For all the people posting for no reason other than to question another person's choice in purchasing it I really don't understand what your goal is. It's been like 6 years since a new console has come out, and $350 really isn't some ridiculous amount of money. Hell there is a new $500+ iPad every year, this time even less than a year. Granted it's not the exact same situation, but a few hundred dollars every 6-7 years to get the newest console is really just not that much.

And my sig will show you I am no Nintendo fanboy, not by a long shot, but there are games on every system that I enjoy having the option to play.[/QUOTE]

They're doing what they love to do: troll.

It's so stupid to go on forums and trash this or that system just cause you have a bug up your ass about a company. Just don't buy it! But of course, if trolls were smart, they wouldn't be trolls.

If this were truly a next-gen system for $350, I'd be all over it. As it is, it's just a system comparable in power to systems that have been out for several years, coupled with a gimmicky controller. These will be sold off in mass when the "real" new systems come out soon.

The Wii U's real advantage to me is the backwards compatibility with the Wii. Even more than that, the fact that it can use the Wii's controllers so you don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on those accessories again. It's probably the most consumer friendly thing a console manufacturer has ever done and I'm definitely buying one EVENTUALLY. I just see no reason to buy it now. It's price will come down next year and there are zero games that interest me. If it upconverted Wii games I'd buy it in a second though. I haven't started Xenoblade yet and I'd love it to be in HD, even if that's an upconverted HD.

[quote name='confoosious']Guess you'll be buying one right away then. Enjoy your new system![/QUOTE]
It does not upconvert. I don't know where you people are getting this bad information from. You're the second person to state that false info.

edit: I think this bad information comes from ignorance of TV's and video signals. The Wii games are natively 480p and they remain 480 progressive scan lines but they are sent on a 1080p signal because that's what the Wii U can send through HDMI. Just because your signal says "1080p" does not make the game upconverted to 1080p. Those 480 lines are not turned into 1080 using algorithms inside the Wii U. Hell, my cable box will always say 1080i or 720p even if I'm on an SD channel. That doesn't mean those channels are upconverted by the box.

[quote name='chimpmeister']It's certainly not raking in big profits on Ebay (or really any profits) . . . I won't say I feel sorry for the hoarders/flippers though, they get what they deserve.[/QUOTE]

I don't feel bad for the folks that bought tons of them with no intention of keeping any though I do feel a little bad for the guys that just bought one extra hoping to subsidize the cost of the one they kept.

I also feel kind of bad for Nintendo.

[quote name='chimpmeister']It's certainly not raking in big profits on Ebay (or really any profits) . . . I won't say I feel sorry for the hoarders/flippers though, they get what they deserve.[/QUOTE]
i agree, but i lol'ed at the picture in link with the girl holding the wii u deluxe advertising it. ROflmao

[quote name='xRidley']I don't. I would love to see Nintendo's hardware division fail, since it has been nothing but bad gimmicks since the DS.[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100%.

Again, why do you care if they fail? Don't like it, don't buy it. Just because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean others should be denied the right to enjoy it.

Probably because some of us want to play Nintendo's games on one of the other consoles so we don't have to buy a whole new console just to play their games.

But the US market is not exclusive, these things are also selling in Japan and other parts of the world so its very unlikely that they will ever fail unless several countries stop buying it at once. My main issue is with how long they take to release games, and how few games they actually release. Also empty promises, they announce a feature and it is not ready on time, other companies announce features and updates and stuff, and they are ready on time, not months later than promised. Also lack of RPG's on the 3DS and lack of Pokemon RPG's on the consoles specifically, give me Pokemon Nintendo and you have my money.

The Wii was a really hard lesson for me after I bought the other consoles and saw what they offered, especially when I realized the Wii was getting nothing that the other consoles had, sure it had some great games but when I think about the amount of great multiplatform games that I missed out on 360/PS3 gen I am kind of sad. I resolve to never buy Nintendo exclusively again, though I didn't buy it, I won it in a contest.

[quote name='Deader2818']Again, why do you care if they fail? Don't like it, don't buy it. Just because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean others should be denied the right to enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

If their hardware department fail, we might finally be able to play their awesome exclusive titles on the xbox and PS (like Sega). :D But this will probably never going happen. Will probably end up buying a Wii U as soon as they announce the new Zelda game.

[quote name='aznxsa2587']If their hardware department fail, we might finally be able to play their awesome exclusive titles on the xbox and PS (like Sega). :D But this will probably never going happen. Will probably buy a Wii U as soon as they announce the new Zelda game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm a sucker for Zelda games too. . . .

[quote name='Deader2818']Again, why do you care if they fail? Don't like it, don't buy it. Just because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean others should be denied the right to enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

I like a few of their games and don't want to buy another $300 system that acts like a dust collector for the 99% of the time I don't even think about it (until games like Xenoblade Chronicles or whatever come out).
The Wii had maybe 5 good games released over its lifetime.

[quote name='xRidley']I like a few of their games and don't want to buy another $300 system that acts like a dust collector for the 99% of the time I don't even think about it (until games like Xenoblade Chronicles or whatever come out).
The Wii had maybe 5 good games released over its lifetime.[/QUOTE]

Again, opinion. You say 5, some else can list 20.

Hell, I can name more then 5, lol.

[quote name='xRidley']I don't. I would love to see Nintendo's hardware division fail, since it has been nothing but bad gimmicks since the DS.[/QUOTE]

I kind of agree with this thinking, with the exception of 2 things. 1. Competition is always a good thing. And 2. I tried the system today at Target, and I have to say the screen on the gamepad is actually better than I expected and pretty amazing how there is no lag between the gamepad and whats displayed on the television screen. That said I have never seen the benefit of 2 screens, even on the DS, the second screen is rarely used for anything important and having to touch the screen to add blocks to jump on in New Super Mario brothers WiiU looks like it would be more annoying than fun. I just feel if you have to look away from the main screen to look at a second screen then there isn't a lot of difference between that and a pause screen. Guess we'l have to see how it all works out.

[quote name='Blaster man']I don't feel bad for the folks that bought tons of them with no intention of keeping any though I do feel a little bad for the guys that just bought one extra hoping to subsidize the cost of the one they kept.

I also feel kind of bad for Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

I stoped feeling bad for Nintendo when they shanked Sony in the back. But I guess that was a good thing in the long run for video game systems.

Not surprised im seeing the Wii U in stock in a lot of places. It was basicly the 2.0 of the origenal Wii.

[quote name='SaraAB'] but when I think about the amount of great multiplatform games that I missed out on 360/PS3 gen I am kind of sad. [/QUOTE]

But you can just play better looking versions of those games on a PC. There is no need for an Xbox or Playstation. Just release all console titles on PC instead.

Or if we must have a console for some reason why have both a MS and a Sony one. Just have one.

Anyhow, something tells me that even if Nintendo stops making consoles in some dream world they will still make handhelds and they will only release their games on that rather than someone else console.

[quote name='Deader2818']Again, opinion. You say 5, some else can list 20.

Hell, I can name more then 5, lol.[/QUOTE]

My list of Wii games that I am picking up is 65 titles long. Seems a good amount to me.

[quote name='xRidley']The Wii had maybe 5 good games released over its lifetime.[/QUOTE]

Just look at this page at metacritic, if you can't find 20+ exclusives worth playing then I'm not sure what kind of gamer you are.

Edit: Here is a list of all 368 Wii exclusive titles, I'm pretty sure there are more than 5 worth playing. :)

[quote name='RiPPn']Just look at this page at metacritic, if you can't find 20+ exclusives worth playing then I'm not sure what kind of gamer you are.

Edit: Here is a list of all 368 Wii exclusive titles, I'm pretty sure there are more than 5 worth playing. :)[/QUOTE]

There's definitely more then 5 worth playing but the problem with the Wii was third party support, hell that's been the problem after the SNES imho, but I think the Wii U will fix that with all the ports It's going to receive from multi platform titles. The only issue is how will the Wii U handle 720 and PS4 ports?

[quote name='Octopod']But you can just play better looking versions of those games on a PC. There is no need for an Xbox or Playstation [/QUOTE]

Problem is a good computer will cost you $1,500.

[quote name='aznxsa2587']If their hardware department fail, we might finally be able to play their awesome exclusive titles on the xbox and PS (like Sega). :D But this will probably never going happen. Will probably end up buying a Wii U as soon as they announce the new Zelda game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...but look at the crap Sega has pumped out since going 3rd party. It's been 99% garbage, and they haven't done well at all.

I don't wish Nintendo out of the hardware business, I just wish they'd put out a competent console that competes with the other manufacturers. And I don't mean that their latest console competes with consoles that came out 7 years ago.

Nintendo is far too arrogant, and while that can lead to great successes, like the DS and the Wii, it can also lead to great failures, like the Wii U. It may be too early to make that case, but I don't see how anyone can look at this launch and see it as anything but disastrous for Nintendo. The gen pop has no fucking clue what the fuck the Wii U even is, where with the Wii Matt Lauer was playing the damned thing on the today show, and everyone was talking about how this was going to keep your kids skinny, and it was great family fun, etc... And it was. It was that hype explosion, and a genuinely good idea for a time (motion controls) that lead to Wii's success. Wii U has got none of that. None.

I've got a 10 year old son, most of his friends don't even know what a Wii U is, and those that do, don't want one. They'd rather have a 360 or PS3, and who could blame them. The games look better on 360 and PS3 as of right now, run better, and there countless cheap, high quality games available on those systems. I asked my son if he wanted a Wii U for Christmas (two birds with one stone, I get a Wii U via the back door) and he said, nah, I want an iPod touch. If my dad asked me, at 10, if I wanted a video game console...ANY video game console, I would have screamed YEEEEESSSSS! I was a bit shocked. The Wii U has a 3 year life tops. That's my prediction and I'm sticking with it.

Look, no console is ever going to match the hype of the wii. You had little old ladies playing it in retirement homes and people using it for physical therapy. That's not going to be repeated again. By anyone.

But calling WiiU "disastrous" after 1 week = :roll:

WTF is it with all the mini-Pachters in this thread? (And every nintendo thread?)

Yeah, who wouldn't love seeing all those people lose their jobs? You're disgusting.

I'm just a Nintendo hater. After a decade of treating their hardcore gamers like stupid children it'll be great when a year from now the Wii U is as forgotten as the Gamecube was.

[quote name='confoosious']Look, no console is ever going to match the hype of the wii. You had little old ladies playing it in retirement homes and people using it for physical therapy. That's not going to be repeated again. By anyone.

But calling WiiU "disastrous" after 1 week = :roll:

WTF is it with all the mini-Pachters in this thread? (And every nintendo thread?)[/QUOTE]

You know why old ladies where playing a Wii? Because it was cheap. Kinect is a much better option for that purpose since you actually use your full body as not just your arms but $400 was too much.

People are just expressing their opinions and I am with the "haters". Nintendo has been arrogant for quite some time in the way they handle their business. The Wii made them cocky as hell but the 3ds was their wake up call.

[quote name='Demontooth']Yeah, who wouldn't love seeing all those people lose their jobs? You're disgusting.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because all of those Chinese and Taiwanese factory workers are at the top of my concerns. :roll:

[quote name='Demontooth']Yeah, who wouldn't love seeing all those people lose their jobs? You're disgusting.[/QUOTE]

How many employees do they have in the USA? 1,000 or less? All their jobs are at the headquarters. It's not like GameStop who actually employs a huge amount of people across the country.

[quote name='oasisboy']Problem is a good computer will cost you $1,500.[/QUOTE]

Problem is also, I don't like PC gaming much & I don't like locking myself away from my family in the room with the PC. Oh I know the reply to that is put it in your living room but I have a family and that isn't something that is fair for them - for me to hog the TV to use the computer for whatever. Plus my 2 year old would break it. I have to unplug all electronics not in active use.

[quote name='Blaster man']Problem is also, I don't like PC gaming much & I don't like locking myself away from my family in the room with the PC. Oh I know the reply to that is put it in your living room but I have a family and that isn't something that is fair for them - for me to hog the TV to use the computer for whatever. Plus my 2 year old would break it. I have to unplug all electronics not in active use.[/QUOTE]

That's the exact reason I use a laptop :)

Man, a lot of butthurt people here whining about Nintendo being arrogant. It seems that you guys are arrogant expecting that Nintendo should make a console just for you.

How is Nintendo arrogant, when it knows full well that it can't match the deep pockets of Microsoft and Sony, so focuses their energy on growing their markets elsewhere and on the strength of their IP? Starting with the Wii, they reoriented themselves as the console for the whole family and it was a successful plan for them.

I also think it is a little silly to make a call either way about this console, but I was able to get my hands on it a few months ago and I really like the hardware. I'll probably pick it up down the line once a killer app comes out for it.

But, I think the next generation of consoles is going to be a tough sell to the consumer, and that includes Nintendo. There are a lot of good games in this extended console cycle and there is a lot of "good enough" in this generation. To be honest, unless other console makers blow me away, the Wii U might be the last console I have an interest in. So much can be done on the PC for cheaper.

[quote name='oasisboy']Problem is a good computer will cost you $1,500.[/QUOTE]

This fiction is over a decade old, and it just isn't true anymore. You can build a respectable gaming machine for $500. Even off-the-shelf computers can come close

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-pc-overclocking-pc-building,3273.html

The advantage of PC gaming is that you can build what you want, get better performance than a console if you choose, and you don't have to worry about a console maker taking away a feature you use. Plus, you can use it for just about anything else other than gaming.

[quote name='oasisboy']How many employees do they have in the USA? 1,000 or less? All their jobs are at the headquarters. It's not like GameStop who actually employs a huge amount of people across the country.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Blumpkin']Yeah, because all of those Chinese and Taiwanese factory workers are at the top of my concerns. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Gotta love this ignorance! We don't live in a global economy or anything. Nobody in the US makes money off nintendo products or anything. :roll:

The haters in these threads crack me up. How bad is your life that you "hate" on a toy company.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Man, a lot of butthurt people here whining about Nintendo being arrogant. It seems that you guys are arrogant expecting that Nintendo should make a console just for you.

How is Nintendo arrogant, when it knows full well that it can't match the deep pockets of Microsoft and Sony, so focuses their energy on growing their markets elsewhere and on the strength of their IP? Starting with the Wii, they reoriented themselves as the console for the whole family and it was a successful plan for them.

I also think it is a little silly to make a call either way about this console, but I was able to get my hands on it a few months ago and I really like the hardware. I'll probably pick it up down the line once a killer app comes out for it.

But, I think the next generation of consoles is going to be a tough sell to the consumer, and that includes Nintendo. There are a lot of good games in this extended console cycle and there is a lot of "good enough" in this generation. To be honest, unless other console makers blow me away, the Wii U might be the last console I have an interest in. So much can be done on the PC for cheaper.

This fiction is over a decade old, and it just isn't true anymore. You can build a respectable gaming machine for $500. Even off-the-shelf computers can come close

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-pc-overclocking-pc-building,3273.html

The advantage of PC gaming is that you can build what you want, get better performance than a console if you choose, and you don't have to worry about a console maker taking away a feature you use. Plus, you can use it for just about anything else other than gaming.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo isn't as well off as Microsoft, that much is true but they are in a good position compared to Sony. Sony has been bleeding money for years and could easily be in a THQ situation in 5 more years if they don't turn things around. Nintendo reported a loss for the first time in history recently. They have billion in cash. Nintnendo could have made a hell of a console and subsidized it if they wanted.

For whoever is interested in more details of my comment above, Sony has lost money each of the last 4 years in a row. They're down to 7 billion cash (that's for the entire company and not just the gaming division).

Nintendo has 14 billion cash.

Microsoft has 66 billion cash.

At this point Sony needs to stop supporting the Vita (which they sell at a loss) and get out of the handheld market all together. It's in decline because of smartphones. Sony needs to stop supporting the PS3 and put out the PS4 next year when MS puts out their next console. It's a mistake to wait another year again and so far it's looking like that may happen. All current games in development for ps3 should be converted to ps4.

I realize my opinions on what Sony should do with the Vita and PS3 will not be popular but they're better off staying competitive and in business than not. I have a PS3 and would love for them to keep supporting it but at some point they need to do what's best for the company and it sure as hell worked with the original Xbox when MS dropped that.

[quote name='Blaster man']Nintendo isn't as well off as Microsoft, that much is true but they are in a good position compared to Sony. Sony has been bleeding money for years and could easily be in a THQ situation in 5 more years if they don't turn things around. Nintendo reported a loss for the first time in history recently. They have billion in cash. Nintnendo could have made a hell of a console and subsidized it if they wanted.[/QUOTE]

Point is, tho, that they are in the financial situation they are in because they aren't doing stuff like that. Also, I'd argue that the Wii U is a hell of a console.

[quote name='Blaster man']For whoever is interested in more details of my comment above, Sony has lost money each of the last 4 years in a row. They're down to 7 billion cash (that's for the entire company and not just the gaming division).

Nintendo has 14 billion cash.

Microsoft has 66 billion cash.

At this point Sony needs to stop supporting the Vita (which they sell at a loss) and get out of the handheld market all together. It's in decline because of smartphones. Sony needs to stop supporting the PS3 and put out the PS4 next year when MS puts out their next console. It's a mistake to wait another year again and so far it's looking like that may happen. All current games in development for ps3 should be converted to ps4.

I realize my opinions on what Sony should do with the Vita and PS3 will not be popular but they're better off staying competitive and in business than not. I have a PS3 and would love for them to keep supporting it but at some point they need to do what's best for the company and it sure as hell worked with the original Xbox when MS dropped that.[/QUOTE]

So, you think they should dump their investment in the Vita, dump the PS3 (which is finally profitable) and take a loss on developing a new console in a questionable market? Doesn't seem smart.

Personally, I think Sony is the company most likely to get out of the console business, and probably will be the last to bring out a new console.

Nintendo could disappear off the face of the planet overnight and it wouldn't even make a blip in the world economy. I know some see dozens of great wii-exclusive titles but I'll keep my opinion of 5. Most nintendo games aren't very good these days. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, and that about ends the list of good Nintendo games for the Wii.

And if they weren't so cheap on their hardware I would have a bit more interest in them. I mean come on, the Wii Mini? Who the fuck makes a video game system with 0 network connectivity in 2012. Throw in the fucking WiFi antenna for god's sale, it probably doesn't even cost them $1.50! Nintendo is outrageously stupid with their hardware and I would love to see them go 3rd party, while those 3rd-party exclusives like Xenoblade Chronicles would make their way to Sony/MS/PC anyway.

[quote name='xRidley']Nintendo could disappear off the face of the planet overnight and it wouldn't even make a blip in the world economy. I know some see dozens of great wii-exclusive titles but I'll keep my opinion of 5. Most nintendo games aren't very good these days. Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, and that about ends the list of good Nintendo games for the Wii.

And if they weren't so cheap on their hardware I would have a bit more interest in them. I mean come on, the Wii Mini? Who the fuck makes a video game system with 0 network connectivity in 2012. Throw in the fucking WiFi antenna for god's sale, it probably doesn't even cost them $1.50! Nintendo is outrageously stupid with their hardware and I would love to see them go 3rd party, while those 3rd-party exclusives like Xenoblade Chronicles would make their way to Sony/MS/PC anyway.[/QUOTE]

Someone's upset case they didn't get black ops 2 for the DS.

bread's done
Back