Wii U poor sales confirmed BY NINTENDO! Blasterman poor troll confirmed BY BLASTERMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get you Blaster man, didn't you say you wanted to own a Wii U but just not at this price? You posted those links on EA and Activision, you have to remember they don't make consoles either so the risk they are taking is minimal to moderate.

They have a handful of titles that make lots of money for them, one day people are going to get tired of Call of Duty, EA is more diversified as a company something has always seemed off about it for me. It went from being primarily a Madden and Sims company to exploding into what it is now.

[quote name='Corvin']Like the 3DS, it's slightly overpriced. Once they drop $50-$75 the WiiU will be fine.[/QUOTE]

I think the pricedrop for 3DS certainly helped it along but you can't marginalize the strong library they started building around the same time as the pricedrop. Stuff like Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and now New Super Mario 2 are also helping to move systems.

Too expensive. Stupid name causing confusion. Poor advertising. Lack of games/announced games and no system sellers. No leap in graphics or functionality from current consoles.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Too expensive. Stupid name causing confusion. Poor advertising. Lack of games/announced games and no system sellers. No leap in graphics or functionality from current consoles.[/QUOTE]

Agree, and add that the gamepad is a distracting "feature" that sapped huge resources away from the console itself due to its high expense. This is why the basic console specs are so low; they had to devote a large chunk of money to production of the gamepad.

I played the Rayman demo at a kiosk, and found the constant prompts to "look at your gamepad" during the game to be beyond distracting.

I wish Nintendo could just put out solidly designed hardware without resorting to gimmicks (like 3D on the 3DS and the gamepad on the Wii U); but I guess they think that they can only compete by offering something supposedly unique. In the end these end up being nothing more than distractions that take away from the potential of the main product, which in this case is the console or handheld.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Agree, and add that the gamepad is a distracting "feature" that sapped huge resources away from the console itself due to its high expense. This is why the basic console specs are so low; they had to devote a large chunk of money to production of the gamepad.

I played the Rayman demo at a kiosk, and found the constant prompts to "look at your gamepad" during the game to be beyond distracting.

I wish Nintendo could just put out solidly designed hardware without resorting to gimmicks (like 3D on the 3DS and the gamepad on the Wii U); but I guess they think that they can only compete by offering something supposedly unique. In the end these end up being nothing more than distractions that take away from the potential of the main product, which in this case is the console or handheld.[/QUOTE]

I agree but sad to say we all know both competitors will try integrating a device to compete with Nintendo ie. Vita + PS3/PS4 or Xbox and a dildo ... I mean look at move and kinect. the times where you would have genuine games for each platform are dead. :(

[quote name='skiizim']I don't get you Blaster man, didn't you say you wanted to own a Wii U but just not at this price? You posted those links on EA and Activision, you have to remember they don't make consoles either so the risk they are taking is minimal to moderate.

They have a handful of titles that make lots of money for them, one day people are going to get tired of Call of Duty, EA is more diversified as a company something has always seemed off about it for me. It went from being primarily a Madden and Sims company to exploding into what it is now.[/QUOTE]

Oh I'm still getting it. I've never said I won't get it or that its a bad system. It's perfectly fine and ill get it. What I think is that the price is too high for what's about to become (effectively) last gen gaming. I also think they've lost the casual market and that you'll see really bad sales in the coming months (worse than expected for this time of the year). I believe a $50 price drop hits this year and possibly $100. There's a good chance you can get the deluxe bundles with Nintendo Land and a second game all for $250 (the Basic will probably dropped).

In other words, it's fine and I will buy one but want everyone on the fence to know that buying before the imminent price drop is a huge mistake.

[quote name='Blaster man']Oh I'm still getting it. I've never said I won't get it or that its a bad system. It's perfectly fine and ill get it. What I think is that the price is too high for what's about to become (effectively) last gen gaming. I also think they've lost the casual market and that you'll see really bad sales in the coming months (worse than expected for this time of the year). I believe a $50 price drop hits this year and possibly $100. There's a good chance you can get the deluxe bundles with Nintendo Land and a second game all for $250 (the Basic will probably dropped).

In other words, it's fine and I will buy one but want everyone on the fence to know that buying before the imminent price drop is a huge mistake.[/QUOTE]

My guess is that if there is a price drop within the first year, Nintendo would do something similar as they did with early 3DS adopters when they slashed the price. Totally a guess though. I wouldn't be suprised if they cut $50 off when the Xbox and/or PS4 is released (if they do get released this year).

They shouldnt've gone HD. They looked at the competition and saw 3 consecutive HD consoles losing between 4 and 6 billion dollars each, and said, we want in on that. Brilliant.

They shouldve doubled down with the Wii, which was doing fine before they pulled support. With that marketshare they couldve waited as long as 2-3 years after the launch of the PS4/Xbox to launch something. The PS2 peaked in 2002 and dropped every year from then on out. Nintendo saw the same year over year drop and got scared.

SD wouldve likely allowed easier 2+ screen support, as you're trasmitting dramatically less information. It wouldve allowed a lower price point. The competition would have no chance to co-opt it as it would be a mid-cycle launch.

Now that they've made their bed, theres not much they can do. PS3 showed us that the damage done by a high price point isnt entirely remedied just by dropping the price. Nintendo has a robust enough development team(s) that they may able to make it look look a little better than the previous 3 HD consoles, but this is a low, low bar for Nintendo to have sunk. Hopefully they achieve Miyamoto's goal of completely divorcing video games from the TV soon, because their future in traditional home consoles looks bleak.

You know as much as I love Nintendo I have to say so far Nintendo has kinda failed with the Wii U. So far the casuals that I talk to at my store have no idea what this system is even after I explain it and seem to be happy with their existing Wii system. Not to mention the lack of a title to get said casuals excited about this system is really going to hurt Nintendo. Heck just bringing up "New Super Mario Bros U" simply gets an "well there's a nearly identical game here on the Wii so why do I need this new system for this game?"

I really want the Wii U to be successful. I really like what Nintendo has to offer with this system hardware wise and I think once Nintendo gets the expected big titles out then the system will take off. The sad fact for now at least most people don't see the value of the system which I can understand. Just adding in HDMI and a touch screen controller isn't quite enough for the casuals. Heck most casuals I suspect probably have their Wii hooked up via the included composite cable so HDMI means very little to them even on their fancy HDTV.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chimpmeister']Agree, and add that the gamepad is a distracting "feature" that sapped huge resources away from the console itself due to its high expense. This is why the basic console specs are so low; they had to devote a large chunk of money to production of the gamepad.

I wish Nintendo could just put out solidly designed hardware without resorting to gimmicks (like 3D on the 3DS and the gamepad on the Wii U); but I guess they think that they can only compete by offering something supposedly unique. In the end these end up being nothing more than distractions that take away from the potential of the main product, which in this case is the console or handheld.[/QUOTE]

and they'd be right for thinking that. The market cannot bear three consoles with similar content all vying for a piece of the same demographic. If Nintendo tried to compete head on with Sony and MS at this juncture, they'd get eaten alive. Say what you will about Nintendo and their silly gimmicks, but it's all they've got left at this point in time. They've spent the better part of the last decade alienating those of us who grew up with their games and consoles through their bad business decisions, that no one is really willing to give them the benefit of the doubt anymore.

They had some success with the Wii, mainly because they tapped into a new market that Sony and MS was mostly ignoring. Unfortunately for Nintendo, that very same crowd that helped them find success with the Wii had absolutely zero brand loyalty, and has long since moved on to mobile apps and Facebook games, which are tapping the same exact market Nintendo did, while requiring a much smaller investment and commitment to enjoy.

I wish Nintendo the best, and I hope they continue for many years to come, but if they don't find success, they have no one to blame but themselves. I could write a book filled to the brim with all the boneheaded business mistakes they've made, but there's no sense in bringing any of that up in this thread.

[quote name='chimpmeister']
They tried that, it was called they game cube, I believe it was there worst selling home console.

[quote name='perdition(troy']I'll buy it when the new zelda comes out, until then it is completely worthless to me.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Here is a handy chart for when I'll be buying one (feel free to modify it if I've left anything out):

1. New 3D Zelda
2. (a) New 3D Metroid plus (b) New 3D Mario
3. Either (a) New 3D Metroid or (b) New 3D Mario plus + (c) NSMBU + (d) Pikmin 3 + probably one more "second tier" Nintendo franchise game
4. (a) New 2D Zelda plus (b) New 2D Metroid [I WANT THIS MORE THAN ANYTHING]

There is also a tipping point of probably 5-10 "second tier" games that once they come out I'll pick up the system for (NSMBU, Pikmin 3, New Mario & Luigi RPG, New Paper Mario, New 2D Yoshi's Island, New Mario vs. Donkey Kong, New Luigi's Mansion, etc.).

I just hope the price drops by next xmas. For me it's mostly about a price drop. There's good games already, and there should be plenty then, I just need it to be less expensive. Also they need to dump the basic model and only have the "deluxe" model, and for less money. I'm hoping for $250.

Nintendo has some interesting spin on the Nov/Dec results.

http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=36854

To date, Wii U hardware sales have generated more than $300 million in the U.S. alone; Wii hardware had generated just more than $270 million at the same point in its lifecycle.

What is interesting is that they are using NPDs numbers, which presumably, do not count eShop sales. How they factor in, if at all, isnt clear.

This is such a terrible, biased, fanboy thread that I won't even comment on the OP.

Instead, I'll just pop in to say that I am loving my WiiU. As much as I want Nintendo to succeed, and think it's nice to see good games and consoles get recognition in decent sales, it's far more important to me that they put out a product that I can enjoy. So far, they've done a great job, and as a semi-hardcore gamer, I'm really impressed.

Don't really care if WiiU sales beat console X or Y. If PS3 is your jam, good for you. If you love your 360 (like I do), good for you. Doesn't much matter to me.

Fascinating.

http://kotaku.com/5975869/how-gamestops-500000-wii-u-wait-list-number-became-320000-sales

How is the Wii U really doing? You can judge for yourself. In the U.S., in their respective launch years, this is how each of the last four major consoles sold, from November launch through the end of the December reporting period, according to NPD:

Xbox 360: about 600K
PS3: nearly 700K
Wii: 1.08M
Wii U: 890K

So compared to previous launches, its doing better than the original HD twins, not as good as the Wii, but compared to now, the 360 moved 1.4 million units in December.

Dont really know how to interpret the current data.

[quote name='foltzie']Dont really know how to interpret the current data.[/QUOTE]

I would look at it in a very positive light if those numbers are accurate. They are doing great if you look at the historical numbers of the last 3 console launches. They are doing great if you consider that they have the most expensive console on the market right now with the worst selection of games (which explains the higher 360 numbers). They are doing poorly and are doomed to failure if you like to judge things without having enough information to do so.

[quote name='Javery'] They are doing poorly and are doomed to failure if you like to judge things without having enough information to do so.[/QUOTE]

YES YES YES! I'd like to sign up for this.

The system is a flop plain and simple. Christmas just passed, and stores everywhere are in stock on both models.

Once PS4 and Xbox 720 arrive, the Wii U will go the way of the Dreamcast when the PS2 launched.

Way to launch and promote a new game console Nintendo. :roll:

[quote name='screwkick']The system is a flop plain and simple. Christmas just passed, and stores everywhere are in stock on both models.

Once PS4 and Xbox 720 arrive, the Wii U will go the way of the Dreamcast when the PS2 launched.

Way to launch and promote a new game console Nintendo. :roll:[/QUOTE]

...and yet the 360 launched a year before PS3 and Wii in addition to the fact that the WiiU has sold more in the same time period than the 360.

Plain and simple, its just too soon to predict whether the WiiU will be a success or failure. These whole "fanboy" arguments that flood the internet anytime a new console launches do nothing to predict or determine the future success of a system. Every single console launch has had these same arguments made. Measuring them against past systems, measuring their specifications against other systems, blah, blah, blah... It does nothing to establish a system, only the future determines whether success or failure is in store for a system

[quote name='RedvsBlue']...and yet the 360 launched a year before PS3 and Wii in addition to the fact that the WiiU has sold more in the same time period than the 360.

Plain and simple, its just too soon to predict whether the WiiU will be a success or failure. These whole "fanboy" arguments that flood the internet anytime a new console launches do nothing to predict or determine the future success of a system. Every single console launch has had these same arguments made. Measuring them against past systems, measuring their specifications against other systems, blah, blah, blah... It does nothing to establish a system, only the future determines whether success or failure is in store for a system[/QUOTE]

WRONG!

At least 3 people in this thread has declared the wiiU to be a flop based on contrary numbers. Therefore it must be a flop.

QED.

[quote name='screwkick']The system is a flop plain and simple. Christmas just passed, and stores everywhere are in stock on both models.
[/QUOTE]
Didn't the PS3 do the exact same thing when it was launched?

The Best Buy I worked at when PS3 launched pretty much got them all returned and we were sitting on them for a good while. Granted at the time everyone wanted a Wii but yeah.

[quote name='itachiitachi']Didn't the PS3 do the exact same thing when it was launched?[/QUOTE]
Yes, yes it did. Anyone who bases a console's success upon availability isn't taking into consideration actual sales. I personally could care less about total sales figures (by that logic the GCN was a failure, which it wasn't), in the end the games is all that matters, which that story won't be told for another couple of years for the Wii U.

For fun, here are a couple web comics that came to mind when I was writing this post:

Penny Arcade - PS3 Availability Post Christmas 2007

VG Cats - Supply and Demand

[quote name='drktrpr1']

Instead, I'll just pop in to say that I am loving my WiiU. As much as I want Nintendo to succeed, and think it's nice to see good games and consoles get recognition in decent sales, it's far more important to me that they put out a product that I can enjoy. So far, they've done a great job, and as a semi-hardcore gamer, I'm really impressed.

Don't really care if WiiU sales beat console X or Y. If PS3 is your jam, good for you. If you love your 360 (like I do), good for you. Doesn't much matter to me.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I like my WiiU too. It has fun games and that's what matters. Although I will say that it's kinda crazy to say that the 720/PS4 will beat the WiiU and Nintendo will fail when there hasn't even been a feature/spec list yet for those consoles. ;)

I'm a big nintendo fan - and really, who isn't one on some level, with series like Metroid and Zelda - but even I am underwhelmed by the Wii u. To make matters worse, I read that your games are tied to the hardware not an online account. Would anyone like to sell me on it?

Even the original xbox was more appealing to me than this console. What is nintendo thinking? The DS and Wii were such competent consoles!

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Yeah I like my WiiU too. It has fun games and that's what matters. Although I will say that it's kinda crazy to say that the 720/PS4 will beat the WiiU and Nintendo will fail when there hasn't even been a feature/spec list yet for those consoles. ;)[/QUOTE]

Also an important point Reggie made in various interviews-The most powerful console has rarely won, if ever for that matter.

[quote name='Javery']Whew. I was getting worried that we were almost 2 weeks into the new year and someone hadn't predicted the failure of "Nintendo ____". I think this is about 16 or 17 years running now, right?

The good news is that we are probably less than a year away from these posts once Mario/Zelda/Metroid comes out:

it_prints_money.jpg
[/QUOTE]

We better be. If the popular titles do not come out before the new Xbox system then Nintendo will lose a lot of sales over the holidays!

I say Xbox because everything I'm reading is that Sony is waiting for Microsoft to ship before they release the specs on their new console.

[quote name='Indiana']We better be. If the popular titles do not come out before the new Xbox system then Nintendo will lose a lot of sales over the holidays!

I say Xbox because everything I'm reading is that Sony is waiting for Microsoft to ship before they release the specs on their new console.[/QUOTE]

That last Nintendo Direct definitely makes me want to buy the console even if no new Mario or Zelda or Metroid was revealed (Wind Waker HD and Xenoblade 2 will do nicely though)... but probably not until a price drop (hey, it happened with the 3DS).

UH-OH! I'M READY FOR EVERYONE'S APOLOGY! LOOKS LIKE COMMON SENSE > FANBOYS
ARE YOU READY FOR THAT $100 PRICE DROP BY YEAR'S END? I AM!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323701904578273120108154866.html
Nintendo Slashes Outlook As Wii U Sales Disappoint

TOKYO—Nintendo Co. 7974.OK -2.09% slashed its sales outlook in the wake of disappointing holiday demand for its new Wii U videogame console, which it had been banking on to rekindle consumer excitement.
The Wii U was Nintendo's first new home videogame console in six years. The machine was launched in November with hopes that its controller, equipped with a six-inch, touch-screen display, would enable a new type of game play and counter the industry shift to games played on smartphones.
The revised sales view is the latest dose of bad news for Nintendo, coming off its first annual loss in more than three decades, after a sluggish start to its previous hardware launch, the Nintendo 3DS hand-held, pushed the company into an early price cut.

The Kyoto-based videogame company lowered its full-year sales outlook for a second straight quarter. Nintendo cut its projection by 17% to ¥670 billion ($7.39 billion) for the fiscal year to March.
Nintendo said the "lower than expected sales outlook" was based on its performance in the year-end sales season and afterward. A poor holiday performance is devastating for Nintendo as the company generates more revenue in that single three-month period to December than it does in the other three quarters combined.
"The business isn't firing on all cylinders. It had a bad Christmas," said David Gibson, a Tokyo-based senior analyst at Macquarie Securities. "We thought it was going to be bad, but this is even worse," said Mr. Gibson, who has an "underperform" rating on Nintendo shares.
Nintendo's struggles aren't limited to a single product. It cut its full-year sales projections for all of its hardware products and software titles. But the most dramatic outlook cut came for its newest system, the Wii U.
Enlarge Image

AM-AW981_NINTEN_D_20130130032105.jpg
AM-AW981_NINTEN_G_20130130032105.jpg

Initial demand for the Wii U appears soft. Nintendo sold 3.06 million units of the Wii U in the three months to December. Nintendo cut its Wii U sales target to four million units by the end of March from an earlier expectation for sales of 5.5 million units. It also cut Wii U software sales forecasts by a third to 16 million units.
The Wii U represents Nintendo's attempt to extend the life of the videogame industry's traditional business model—selling dedicated game consoles and software limited to that machine—at a time when the smartphones and tablet computers are opening the floodgates for inexpensive or free-to-play titles for a wide range of devices.
Macquarie Securities' Mr. Gibson said Nintendo may be forced to resort to drastic measures to spur interest in the Wii U, such as a price cut and accelerated introductions of popular game franchises. The playing field is also expected to grow more crowded by the end of the year as the industry braces for the debut of successors to Sony Corp.'s 6758.TO -0.14% PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp.'s MSFT -0.57% Xbox 360. Neither company has made any official announcements regarding a replacement for their current home consoles.
Enlarge Image

AM-AW982_NINTEN_D_20130130025717.jpg
AM-AW982_NINTEN_G_20130130025717.jpg

Bloomberg News A woman holds a Nintendo Wii U touch-screen controller.

Despite the outlook, Nintendo said it returned to profit in the first nine months of its fiscal year, aided by a weaker yen and lower production costs for its Nintendo 3DS hand-held game machine.
Nintendo said it swung to a net profit of ¥14.54 billion for the nine months to December, from a year-earlier loss of ¥48.35 billion. Revenue fell 2.4% to ¥543.03 billion.
While Nintendo doesn't break out quarterly results, Nintendo turned profitable in the important holiday quarter after two straight quarters in the red, calculated by subtracting the previously announced six-months results from its latest nine-month earnings.
For the current fiscal year to March, Nintendo now expects an operating loss of ¥20 billion, compared with an earlier projection for an operating profit of ¥20 billion. The company raised its net profit outlook to ¥14 billion from an earlier ¥6 billion forecast because of the weaker yen.
The Japanese currency has fallen sharply against both the dollar and euro since mid-November. Nintendo keeps most if its cash in foreign currencies, so a weaker yen inflates paper gains on its reserves, while a stronger yen leads to losses in the value of those foreign holdings. Nintendo said it incurred a ¥22.2 billion gain from yen depreciation.
Nintendo revised its foreign-exchange rate expectations for the rest of the fiscal year. It now sees the dollar at ¥90 and the euro at ¥120.
The industry's changing landscape is also hurting sales of Nintendo's 3DS. The company is trying to script a comeback for the 3DS, which was forced to slash prices in 2011 shortly after a disappointing launch. The company worked to lower the manufacturing costs for the hand-held in order to meet the device's reduced price. It said it halted losses from the 3DS in the fall.
Nintendo cut its 3DS sales projections. It is aiming for sales of 15 million units for the year to March, down from an October estimate of 17.5 million units. It also cut software sales targets by nearly 30% to 50 million units.

[quote name='Indiana']We better be. If the popular titles do not come out before the new Xbox system then Nintendo will lose a lot of sales over the holidays!

I say Xbox because everything I'm reading is that Sony is waiting for Microsoft to ship before they release the specs on their new console.[/QUOTE]

Until we see the cost for the new consoles, I'll wait before guessing if Sony and M$ will have a big holiday. If consoles are $500 minimum with higher prices then I don't see the momentum.

Curious what Nintendo did to lower the production cost of the 3ds mentioned in the article. Cheaper parts or more efficient manufacturing?

The xl was probably designed to be cheaper, so all models feel more plasticky and less powerful speakers than 3ds, but I'm guessing original color cosmic black and blue 3ds were prior to cost cutting.

I've not read anything about Sony releasing after Microsoft; only that they will let MS make their ANNOUNCEMENT first.

As for the Pii U, sub-$200 prices by Holiday 2013. ;)

[quote name='uncle5555']I'm just going to ignore the topic and post of this instead. ;)

Hmm...I think I'm onto something there. So even when there aren't anymore working PS2's around you still will be able to play PS2 games, but on a computer with a USB to dual shock adapter. And it'll look a lot nicer too when you do it.

Smart Phones and Tablets. That's where a lot of the Wii casuals moved onto after abandoning console land.

Also someone pointed out there are no more developers going out of business now than there has been in the past, in fact there are probably more devs now than in the past, its just harder to get your product recognized than it used to be, and if they aren't successful they close shop, find some like minded people and start again, or move onto other things and someone else takes their place and tries for themselves.

No games, no killer app. There must be a decent amount of great games for people to buy something, also hype. The name is stupid for one, second and I think I already mentioned this....Smart Phones and Tablets.

They deliver a similar exp. to what you get on a handheld, and costs as much or more than those things and it does less as well. If Sony doesn't get 1st and 3rd party support out there, it isn't going to fly. My personal reasons not to have one right now. Price, not enough games (I want at least a dozen titles before committing) and most importantly no TV out, unlike it's older brother, the PSP.

The DC didn't fail (as bad as you think), Sega killed it (Peter Moore as pres. of Sega US to be exact). Plus it was the PS2 that was the thing people were waiting for, the PS1 and especially not the N64 for had very little to do with the DC's demise.

And as I've said for over 10 years, the GAMES MAKE A SYSTEM.

That should be anyone's creed when it comes to buying a system. For me the Wii U has 2 games that I'd like to play, Zombie U and Pikmin 3, which isn't even out. But honestly the thing that concerns me is 3rd party support which it has lacked since the N64 era. They get so much support on their handhelds it isn't funny, but their console is like a ghost town when it comes to exclusive 3rd party titles.

Anyway I'm not going to continue on that line of thought as to not detract from my comments (I could go on and have before on that tract) I know people buy Nintendo to play Nintendo games, but that used to not be the case and it's shame that it has become that way from the N64 era through to today.[/QUOTE]

I have been saying the same thing for a long time too, if there are no games you want to play on a system then why buy it? You are buying these systems to play games on, not to sit in your entertainment center and look pretty. You can only expect to be disappointed if you buy a system when it doesn't have any games you want to play on it, just hoping for some games to come out.

The price is too close to that of an iPad, you can get an iPad for $399 and the Wii U costs $350, so I think most people are just saying eh I want the iPad instead. They need to lower the price, and more importantly, lower the price of the software, especially 3rd party software that costs much less on other systems for the same game. Charging $60 for Nintendo Land is absurd at best. If they have 39.99 games instead of $60 games and a lower priced console they would have a chance.

They also should have released the mass effect trilogy on the Wii U, that would have definitely sparked sales.

Also they need to get it down to one SKU, just make the black one, cut out the white one and drop the price on the black to $299. If they decide to keep the white one it should be at least bundled with Nintendo Land and the price should be dropped on it.

Zero games I want to play on it,none coming out in the future that I can see yet. I went out and bought a 3DS admittedly on clearance as soon as the announcement of a main series Pokemon game was rumbling. I have no regrets at all about the purchase. Pokemon is the big Nintendo franchise for me and their support of Pokemon console games is godawful right now, the only one playable on the Wii is Battle Revolution and its nothing to write home about. If there was more support for Pokemon on the Wii U I would have no problems shelling out for it as I would have a reason to own it.

The 3DS is just now starting to pick up steam, but I see a nice lineup of heavy hitter games for this year for the 3DS. However it took a while to get to that point. The Wii U will probably get there, but it will take 3 years to get some decent software in place.

I dunno, Wind Waker HD, New Zelda, 3D Mario, Fire Emblem RPG, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, new Yoshi Land game. All coming out in the next year or 2. Not really sure how that isnt anything coming out.

[quote name='Deader2818']I dunno, Wind Waker HD, New Zelda, 3D Mario, Fire Emblem RPG, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, new Yoshi Land game. All coming out in the next year or 2. Not really sure how that isnt anything coming out.[/QUOTE]
Wind Waker - most people beat this YEARS ago. This is not a system seller.
New Zelda - need to see more on this. If it's just like every other Zelda, that's not a system seller. Just a good game to buy after you already own it.
3D Mario - Another Mario? Maybe a system seller for some people. It's got the CoD problem. Too many annualized releases. Nintendo needs to let it's IP's rest and make new stuff.
Fire Emblem - Extremely niche and well at best sell the system for a small number of people.
Pikmin 3 - Niche, same as Fire Emblem.
Mario Kart - Again???? I'm sure that if you already own a Wii U, this is a good one to own.
Smash Bros - Zero interest in that for me. I know others enjoy those but I don't get the appeal.
Yoshi Land game - Need more info. I heard it's going to be "Yarn Yoshi". That's definitely not a system seller for pretty much anyone if that's the case.
8 games over 2 years and most people would be interested in a couple of them at the most. Zero multiplat games will be ported from the PS4/720.

Bring back Earthbound then we'll talk. Maybe start making a deal with Namco to bring Ni No Kuni to Wii U as that seems to be selling really well. Don't keep making zelda number 503, mario number 904204, and Mario Kart 8 (the real number for the upcoming one). It's fine to make sequels but do they really have to make them this frequently?

Here's another one, bolded/underlined the important parts. LOL NO price cuts...at least not until they're announced! Never admit it until you announce!

http://www.sfgate.com/business/tech...ef-rules-out-price-cuts-for-Wii-U-4237428.php

TOKYO (AP) — Nintendo President Satoru Iwata promised Thursday the struggling Japanese video-game maker will get back into operating profitability next fiscal year at more than 100 billion yen ($1 billion), while ruling out price cuts for the new Wii U home console to boost sales.
Iwata, speaking at a Tokyo hotel to investors and reporters a day after earnings were released, acknowledged the sales momentum for the Wii U, as well as the 3DS hand-held game machine, had run out of steam during the key year-end shopping season, especially in the U.S.
But he said no price cuts were in the works. Price cuts are common in the gaming industry to woo buyers to products, but the move can backfire by trimming revenue. The Wii U now sells for about $300 in the U.S. and 25,000 yen in Japan.
"We are already offering it at a good price," he said.
But he acknowledged more work was needed to have consumers understand the Wii U, which went on sale globally late last year, as well as producing more game software to draw buyers.
All game machines have suffered in recent years from the advent of smartphones and other mobile devices that have become more sophisticated and offer games and other forms of entertainment.
But he said he was confident of the months ahead and said that Nintendo was preparing more game software, including those developed in-house, toward the end of this year.
Kyoto-based Nintendo, which makes Super Mario and Pokemon games, lowered its full year sales forecast Wednesday to 670 billion yen ($7.4 billion) from 810 billion yen ($8.9 billion).
It also acknowledged it was going to sell fewer Wii U consoles for the fiscal year through March than its previous projection. The Wii U has a touch-screen tablet controller called GamePad and a TV-watching feature called TVii.
The company forecasts it will sell 4 million Wii U consoles for the current fiscal year, ending March 31, down from its earlier estimate of 5.5 million units. The Wii U, which went on sale late last year, was the first major new game console to arrive in stores in years.
Nintendo, also behind the Donkey Kong and Zelda games, lowered its full year sales forecast for Wii U game software units to 16 million from 24 million.
Iwata said last year holiday sales quickly dissipated in the U.S. and some European nations, including Great Britain, the key market. He said the U.S. home console sales were the worst for Nintendo in nearly a decade.
He said Nintendo needs hit games to push console sales, and the company remains confident Wii U will prove more popular with time.
"The chicken-and-game problem has not been solved," he said of the need for both game software and machine hardware.
The company returned to net profit for the April-December period from deep losses the previous year, but that was due to a perk from a weaker yen, which helps Japanese exporters like Nintendo.
Nintendo sank into a loss the previous fiscal year largely because of price cuts for its hand-held 3DS game machine, which shows three-dimensional imagery without special glasses. That machine is also struggling in most global markets.
Shigeru Miyamoto, Nintendo's iconic game designer, said what was missing were games for the Wii U that made its appeal clear. The progress in smartphones has also posed a challenge for Nintendo, he said.
"People have to try it to see it is fun," Miyamoto said of Wii U.

Honestly, if you don't really like Nintendo games, you have no business owning a Wii U. I don't know what to tell you.

You don't like it. its clear. Not sure why you have such a hard on for it to fail.

3D mario games are totally different then 2d ones and they don't come out all that often.

[quote name='Deader2818']Honestly, if you don't really like Nintendo games, you have no business owning a Wii U. I don't know what to tell you.

You don't like it. its clear. Not sure why you have such a hard on for it to fail.

3D mario games are totally different then 2d ones and they don't come out all that often.[/QUOTE]
I don't like "Nintendo"? You don't know what you're talking about. I neither like nor dislike "Nintendo". Some of their games on the other hand, I loved playing. I even mentioned Earthbound. What I don't like is the same fucking game every goddamn year. They've been doing the CoD model with Mario longer than I can even remember.

To make matters worse, they won't have any 3rd party support with these sales and even if they did somehow manage to get NEW ports (instead of all old games everyone's already played), they won't last much longer since the Wii U won't be capable of running next gen games. So unless they start to innovate (which is something they seemed to stop doing after then N64), you're going to be stuck (only) playing New Super Mario Bros U 18 in a few years.

So because New Mario 2 for the 3ds was kinda like Mario U, its the same game?

Galaxy 1 and 2 where master pieces and were 3 years apart (07 and 10). The only 3d mario on the Gamecube was Mario Sunshine and that was 2002.

Some people for some stupid reason think others care about their opinion of Nintendo products. Just back back to your other console or pc and play games on there, an let Nintendo fans enjoy their own.

It's kind of sad seeing someone root so hard for something to fail that has no bearing on their life.

And yes, this is spoken from someone who's last nintendo console purchase was a GameCube. And I still play my gameboy color.

[quote name='Deader2818']So because New Mario 2 for the 3ds was kinda like Mario U, its the same game?

Galaxy 1 and 2 where master pieces and were 3 years apart (07 and 10). The only 3d mario on the Gamecube was Mario Sunshine and that was 2002.[/QUOTE]
Take a look at Zelda 1 and Zelda 2. Those are completely different games and Nintendo was willing to innovate, try new things, take risks, and make games that aren't clones. Look at Mario 1 and Mario 2 and Mario 3 and Mario World. Four consecutive Mario games, all completely different and very innovative. Look at Mario 64, Nintendo essentially proved 3d platformers could work and everyone else copied and improved upon that.

Then you ask, are they (the recent Mario games) the same game cause they're very similar? Obviously not the "same" game but it might as well be more levels on the same game when you look at the kind of stuff they used to do with their IP's.

Nintendo has some kind of strange inertia going on because of the way their corporate culture works. It's hard for new blood to get into positions where they can make a difference in game design.

We get it, you don't like Nintendo or Mario. Thats cool.

Sounds like you never even touched Sunshine or either Galaxy if you think they are all the same, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back