Wii U poor sales confirmed BY NINTENDO! Blasterman poor troll confirmed BY BLASTERMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Corvin']In regards to marketing, sure. Nintendo's marketing is shit. Microsoft's is non-existent. Kevin Butler was a stroke of genius and made you sit up and pay attention.[/QUOTE]

I can't remember a single one of them. I just half-remember the creepy launch ads and that one live-action preview for PSASBR.

To be fair though the last video game commercial that I completely remember was the Mad World GoW one...that was brilliant.

At the end of the day the only things that matter to me is that the WiiU sold more units then the 360 and PS3 did at launch (and Nintendo didn't take a loss on each one) which is very good in the modern market and at some point there will be Mario, Zelda and Smash Bros games for it.

I think the days of mass hysteria for system launches are over and it will be interesting to see how the WiiU does when the PS and Xbox systems launch and have their post launch droughts. If Nintendo can have a decent library by then and a small price cut (I wouldn't look for one until then) to maintain a $100 price variation they will be fine.

[quote name='TheHammerGod']At the end of the day the only things that matter to me is that the WiiU sold more units then the 360 and PS3 did at launch (and Nintendo didn't take a loss on each one) which is very good in the modern market and at some point there will be Mario, Zelda and Smash Bros games for it.

I think the days of mass hysteria for system launches are over and it will be interesting to see how the WiiU does when the PS and Xbox systems launch and have their post launch droughts. If Nintendo can have a decent library by then and a small price cut (I wouldn't look for one until then) to maintain a $100 price variation they will be fine.[/QUOTE]

There already is a Mario game but point taken, which I completely agree with. Do you have numbers for this? I remember the 360 being impossible to find at launch and the PS3 was considered a dud.

I agree though that it will pick up steam when the Nintendo games start coming out. This thing is not going to be a dud in any way.

[quote name='TheHammerGod']At the end of the day the only things that matter to me is that the WiiU sold more units then the 360 and PS3 did at launch (and Nintendo didn't take a loss on each one)
[/QUOTE]

:lol: And why does that matter to you? Investor? As a gamer I just can't see how console sales figures matter in relation to each other. As long as X console sells well enough that third parties support it, then I don't see how it matters one way or another how the WiiU sells compared to the 360, PS4 or whatever.

Only thing that matters to me is that the WiiU doesn't become a paperweight as fast as the Wii did. As long as the first party games keep coming I'll be happy with my purchase.

Didn't the Wii have a lot of good games and only really became a "paperweight" after skyward sword came out and no other games really came out?

Really, the only thing important is answering this question: does this news cause Nintendo to do a SEGA and pack it in? The answer is not in the least. So, no biggie. Nintendo will work harder to smooth out the rough edges of the WiiU and get more games onto the system.

[quote name='Deader2818']Didn't the Wii have a lot of good games and only really became a "paperweight" after skyward sword came out and no other games really came out?[/QUOTE]

There ended up being a lot of good games, but the timing wasn't always consistent. For example, for a whole year before Skyward Sword came out, Nintendo released almost nothing. So, we got Mario Sports Mix, Fortune Street, and Kirby's Return To Dreamland as the other significant releases that year. The long dry spells were frustrating to fans.

Well what I mean is, from lets say, 06-10 there was a bunch of games to get. 11-12 was dry but that was due to end of the system. 4 years to become a "paper weight" doesnt seem very fast.

It really depended on what you were into. Other than ports, NoA got, in 2012:
Xenoblade
Last Story
Pikmin 2 (like 3 years late)
Mario Party
Rhythm Heaven

If new games for the Wii was your thing, you were boned, but it wasn't like Nintendo just released dust after Zelda.

[quote name='Deader2818']Didn't the Wii have a lot of good games and only really became a "paperweight" after skyward sword came out and no other games really came out?[/QUOTE]

I thought the Wii had tons of good games. Mostly Nintendo made though.

I would never claim that the Wii was great as someone's primary system, but there were honestly a hell of a lot of great games on it. It was already mentioned, but the timing was pretty inconsistent, which hurt things. If you owned a PS3 or 360, it was an incredible supplementary system.

But... yeah, I get that for a lot of people it 'collected dust', but I'd argue that the Wii had a line-up of exclusives that were certainly better than the Xbox and, at minimum, rivaled the PS3. They may not have been games like CoD, but that's not really why you should be buying a Nintendo system anyway.

[quote name='007']I would never claim that the Wii was great as someone's primary system, but there were honestly a hell of a lot of great games on it. It was already mentioned, but the timing was pretty inconsistent, which hurt things. If you owned a PS3 or 360, it was an incredible supplementary system.

But... yeah, I get that for a lot of people it 'collected dust', but I'd argue that the Wii had a line-up of exclusives that were certainly better than the Xbox and, at minimum, rivaled the PS3. They may not have been games like CoD, but that's not really why you should be buying a Nintendo system anyway.[/QUOTE]

Other than Borderlands and Fallout 3, I think my favorite game of the last generation was the Donkey Kong game. Absolutely loved it. I think that might be why I like the Wii though. I would rather play games like Donkey Kong, Kirby, Mario than your typical xbox shooter adventure game.

I think my current issue with Nintendo is the one thing that everyone is waiting for. Nintendo games. I won't deny that the Wii had some great games. Super Mario Galaxy 1+2 were brilliant. I played through and enjoyed Twilight Princess. Donkey Kong was great.

But....as a fan since the NES days the whole Mario game, old school mario game, paper mario, mario kart, mario sports, zelda game, animal crossing, smash bros. formula is really starting to lose it's luster. I want Metroid to matter again as well as Starfox. I want something new that isn't Wii Sports or a party game.

I'm taking a wait and see approach with Nintendo this gen. They are really going to have to prove to me their system is worth owning before I buy. Right now I don't feel I'm missing anything.

[quote name='schuerm26']Other than Borderlands and Fallout 3, I think my favorite game of the last generation was the Donkey Kong game. Absolutely loved it. I think that might be why I like the Wii though. I would rather play games like Donkey Kong, Kirby, Mario than your typical xbox shooter adventure game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah all these articles about how FPSes aren't coming out on Nintendo are just weird.

I think the whole year leading up to Skyward Sword & Kirby was light and then a ghost town between SS and the WiiU launch. I think Nintendo were too focused on the 3DS and eventually the WiiU at that point. The Wii was definitely the shortest lifespan of any Nintendo console.

Disclaimer... I'm not one to pull out the "wii collects dust" hyperbole. As mentioned it's a perfect complimentary system, the last 18-24 months were just barren.

[quote name='Corvin']I think the whole year leading up to Skyward Sword & Kirby was light and then a ghost town between SS and the WiiU launch. I think Nintendo were too focused on the 3DS and eventually the WiiU at that point. The Wii was definitely the shortest lifespan of any Nintendo console.

Disclaimer... I'm not one to pull out the "wii collects dust" hyperbole. As mentioned it's a perfect complimentary system, the last 18-24 months were just barren.[/QUOTE]

I have yarn Kirby for my kid and xenoblade for myself. Aside from those I don't play anything on the Wii. All we use the Wii for other than that is Wii Fit.

i actually cleaned up my wii u and put it back in the box today, this thing has no games and has nothing worthwhile coming for months. Sad i paid full price at launch for it. Nintendo screwed over so many people with this system.

[quote name='blitz6speed']i actually cleaned up my wii u and put it back in the box today, this thing has no games and has nothing worthwhile coming for months. Sad i paid full price at launch for it. Nintendo screwed over so many people with this system.[/QUOTE]

Not sure why you should blame Nintendo for your own impusliveness. If there weren't games you wanted to play at launch, you need to ask yourself why you bought it in the first place, rather than blame Nintendo.

As for good games, isn't Rayman Legends coming out this month?

[quote name='blitz6speed']i actually cleaned up my wii u and put it back in the box today, this thing has no games and has nothing worthwhile coming for months. Sad i paid full price at launch for it. Nintendo screwed over so many people with this system.[/QUOTE]

TheLongShot already covered it, but why on earth did you buy a console that has no games you're interested in? Nintendo didn't screw over anybody, but you apparently screwed yourself.

I love how people bash the Wii to no end. Same goes for this whole 'console war' nonsense. You don't like the system? Think the games suck? Well don't buy one -- what an ingenious concept. If you already bought one and then came to this revelation, well sucks to be you. Bring it into Gamestop and see some crusty brain-dead drone give you some meager in-store credit to trade in for another system you can bitch about.

I just bought a Wii U during the Costco $50 off sale primarily because Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is coming out next month.

The original Monster Hunter Tri was one of my favorite games (last generation?) so it's great to see it in HD and still free to play online. In addition the ability to use the gamepad as a second screen for inventory looks great.

The only reason I picked up a Wii U now is because it was on sale and I know this game (and NSMBU, Nintendoland) will hold me until Pikmin 3, HD Wind Waker, XenoHD, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, etc.

If I wasn't interested in Monster Hunter and there weren't any other games that interested me I wouldn't have purchased a Wii U. It's my approach to gaming consoles: only buy one when there are games you want to play.

Once Nintendo releases an HD 3D Mario game the Wii U will see a large increase in sales. Add a Wii Fit game for the casuals and a Mario Kart and you will see a huge increase in sales.

I remember at my old job there were people much older than me that I would never imagine playing games (older adults, grandparents, great-grandparents) who talked to each about using their Wii for Wii Fit or racing in Mario Kart. This is a casual market that I think Nintendo has over Sony and MS. Once they advertise the Wii U correctly they will be able to tap into this again.

[quote name='antlp89']I remember at my old job there were people much older than me that I would never imagine playing games (older adults, grandparents, great-grandparents) who talked to each about using their Wii for Wii Fit or racing in Mario Kart. This is a casual market that I think Nintendo has over Sony and MS. Once they advertise the Wii U correctly they will be able to tap into this again.[/QUOTE]

Disagree. Most of those people moved to Facebook and mobile. And a portion of them think of the Wii as a bad investment, cause they paid hundreds for like two casual games.

[quote name='007']I would never claim that the Wii was great as someone's primary system, but there were honestly a hell of a lot of great games on it. It was already mentioned, but the timing was pretty inconsistent, which hurt things. If you owned a PS3 or 360, it was an incredible supplementary system.

But... yeah, I get that for a lot of people it 'collected dust', but I'd argue that the Wii had a line-up of exclusives that were certainly better than the Xbox and, at minimum, rivaled the PS3. They may not have been games like CoD, but that's not really why you should be buying a Nintendo system anyway.[/QUOTE]

I admit I didn't play mine very much for about 2 years UNTIL Xenoblade Chronicles. I picked that up last summer and spent 160+ hours on it. So my Wii blew off the dust then ;). That was my favorite game of this (or last, whatever) gen.

The fact that there is a sequel/similar game coming for the Wii U justifies my Wii U purchase in and of itself. Could I have waited till next Fall? Yeah, probably, considering we haven't turned on the Wii U in over a month now. But I still want to finish up NSMB and play some of the single-player Nintendoland stuff. And I guess I still have that Rayman preorder at Newegg. That, folllowed by Pikmin 3, is plenty for me on the Wii U until Fall. Oh yeah, and maybe I'll finally take the plunge on Monster Hunter. I bought Tri, but never felt like sinking so much time into it so I never started.

The system I would really NOT want to get at launch is the next 360. I can wait a year or two for that (as I did for the 360). However, my soon to be 13 year-old son is a mega 360 fanboy and I won't be able to hold out too long. I kind of hope the thing is sold out for months so I can use that as an excuse not to get one.

The PS4, on the other hand, I will probably want ASAP.

I am sure some of us got our Wii systems cheaply used, or got them cheaply through other means, not everyone here spent hundreds on Wii stuff, some people probably spent $50 or less for their Wii, and speaking for myself I won mine in a contest so I did not pay for it at all except for games and accessories of course. This is why some of us have the Wii but complain about the lack of games for it because it is simply lacking almost every big multiplatform game from this gen. For me I loved the fishing master games, rune factory, opoona and a few others. My biggest problem is its lacking a serious pokemon title, I think my Wii is mostly a Pokemon Ranch box which isn't even compatible with the newest games, which is a joke IMO. There is simply no reason why i shouldnt be able to upload pokemon from newer games via software updates to the title. I think its only compatible with D/P. The GameCube got most multiplatform games and was not lacking in Pokemon games, and the system was very comparable with the PS2 and Xbox. It is a good complimentary system but you NEED one of the other 2 systems if you want to play the big titles. At least the Wii is going out with a bang thanks to operation rainfall.

[quote name='SaraAB'] At least the Wii is going out with a bang thanks to operation rainfall.[/QUOTE]

It's already been well-established that Operation Rainfall had nothing to do with the games coming stateside.

[quote name='Rozz']It's already been well-established that Operation Rainfall had nothing to do with the games coming stateside.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, importers and sales of those games and Xenoblade in the US were the factors that brought them over.

I think they can survive on the money they made from the DS, DSi, etc etc for a bit. The Wii U isn't a failure but it isn't a massive success either.

[quote name='AvidWriter']I think they can survive on the money they made from the DS, DSi, etc etc for a bit. The Wii U isn't a failure but it isn't a massive success either.[/QUOTE]

(It's also only been on the market for a little over three months.)

[quote name='maximumzero'](It's also only been on the market for a little over three months.)[/QUOTE]

Very true but I think we can all agree that Nintendo is still full of themselves!

I hear ya. I bought one to flip, or possibly keep. On launch day they were only selling for $50 above retail on ebay and craigslist. Best Buy had my Wii U return that night by closing time.

The system is a complete failure. There's no game for the system that can't be played elsewhere (I don't count NSMBU). Not to mention the nonexistent marketing campaign Nintendo had to promote the damn thing. I believe this system is nintendo's Dreamcast as far as future console releases go.

No point in releasing a half-baked console, just to say you were first in the next console generation...which the Wii U isn't anyway.

Remember when PS3 was bad for a year and everyone claimed it would be the end of Sony?

Yeah, look how that worked out. They passed Xbox in one less year.

Whats funny is people call it a failure, yet it still has moved more units then the PS3 and the 360 in the same time frame.

PS3 had not one game release between Dec 12th 2006 and January 30th. Then only 2 games in February. Games didn't start to come out a lot until Summer.

360 was similar. Nothing between November 21, 2005 and December 29, 2005 and then nothing again till February 14, 2006 and the 20th. Again, only 2 games. Again then it really picked up in the summer.

So yeah, this is nothing new at all for a new console.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Deader2818']Remember when PS3 was bad for a year and everyone claimed it would be the end of Sony?

Yeah, look how that worked out. They passed Xbox in one less year.

Whats funny is people call it a failure, yet it still has moved more units then the PS3 and the 360 in the same time frame.

PS3 had not one game release between Dec 12th 2006 and January 30th. Then only 2 games in February. Games didn't start to come out a lot until Summer.

360 was similar. Nothing between November 21, 2005 and December 29, 2005 and then nothing again till February 14, 2006 and the 20th. Again, only 2 games. Again then it really picked up in the summer.

So yeah, this is nothing new at all for a new console.[/QUOTE]

It pretty much was the end of Sony they went from having a market cap of $200 billion to less then Nintendo. A company that only sells video games. Enough said.

Never mind the fact that the PS3 has out sold the Xbox in one less year right?

I guess lets also ignore that the same "lack of games" happened on the 360 as well after the launch titles.

I don't think the system is a failure but it will probably take 3 years to get a semi decent library of games on it. After 3 years if it has nothing then we can call it a failure also if it misses most of the big releases, or if they come out with significantly reduced features. The 3DS took a ton of time to get the game library up to speed but this year is going to be epic and the system is selling well.

[quote name='SaraAB']I don't think the system is a failure but it will probably take 3 years to get a semi decent library of games on it. After 3 years if it has nothing then we can call it a failure also if it misses most of the big releases, or if they come out with significantly reduced features. The 3DS took a ton of time to get the game library up to speed but this year is going to be epic and the system is selling well.[/QUOTE]

Well, this summer the 3DS will be 2 years old, so I expect it will be a year or two before the Wii U has a library that will stand on its own.

Gee, haven't we been saying to wait a couple of years to judge a console?

[quote name='Deader2818']Never mind the fact that the PS3 has out sold the Xbox in one less year right?
[/QUOTE]

Never mind the fact that Sony always used shipped numbers vs MS actual sold numbers. They didn't pass anyone in year one.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Well, this summer the 3DS will be 2 years old, so I expect it will be a year or two before the Wii U has a library that will stand on its own.

Gee, haven't we been saying to wait a couple of years to judge a console?[/QUOTE]

3ds has a giant library to stand on it's own? since when did that happen.

the problem is with the wii u is that since launce ZERO games have come out and most launch titles were just ports. nintendo had it in their mind that well this will do just as well as the wii. I could have told them that would not be the case. The wii sold well because of parents buying it for family and what not was not becasue nintendo fanbase is that large. Wii was hard to find two years in and wii u has been found in store's since launch. Another problem was and still is you see ZERO ads for the thing. Nintendo market department should be fired for awful marketing they did for this system. Next xbox and playstation will blow wii u away and never look back once they come out in 2014.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']3ds has a giant library to stand on it's own? since when did that happen.[/QUOTE]

I think SaraAB was talking about a lot of great games coming out this year for the 3DS, which would make it two years.

[quote name='TheLongshot']I think SaraAB was talking about a lot of great games coming out this year for the 3DS, which would make it two years.[/QUOTE]

i only know of one or two i will be buying.

the problem is that this day and age it's very very hard to find a game company that will make a game just for 1 system. Unless nintendo,sony,microsoft are not the company publish the games good chance it will not be only for one system. Companys make too much money putting games on all systems to make it just for one. With that said people will buy wii u for the great nintendo games but if hte specs are right what im hearing from ps4 and next xbox. Wii u will be hurting in sales when people jump to the more powerfull systems

Luigi's Manson
Fire Emblem
Monster Hunter
Castlevina
Animal Crossing
Rune Factory 4
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
Pokemon X and Y
Etrian Odyssey IV
Brain Age

[quote name='Deader2818']Luigi's Manson
Fire Emblem
Monster Hunter
Castlevina
Animal Crossing
Rune Factory 4
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
Pokemon X and Y
Etrian Odyssey IV
Brain Age[/QUOTE]

luigi manson is for sure big title but really how much can animal crossing change, brainage same, pokemon REALLY how old are you 12. WHO as a adult gamer plays pokemon and brags about it. Plus might i add 3/4 of that list is lame japan rpg games. It's annoying how many rpg games have flodded the market in recent years. Playing rpg after 20 mins im ready to pull my eyes out.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']luigi manson is for sure big title but really how much can animal crossing change, brainage same, pokemon REALLY how old are you 12. WHO as a adult gamer plays pokemon and brags about it. Plus might i add 3/4 of that list is lame japan rpg games. It's annoying how many rpg games have flodded the market in recent years. Playing rpg after 20 mins im ready to pull my eyes out.[/QUOTE]

The irony of accusing someone of being 12 and enjoying Pokemon games as an adult when you have the language skills of a 2-year old. :bouncy:

[quote name='maximumzero']The irony of accusing someone of being 12 and enjoying Pokemon games as an adult when you have the language skills of a 2-year old. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

why don't you get your head out of nintendo behind and stop sticking up for them with this. oh well guys look rayman is WII u exlusive you MUST buy a wii u to play this game. 3 weeks before it comes out oh well it's delayed so it can be put on ps3 and 360. If nintendo had any you know what they would have paid ubisoft tons of money to keep it on the wii u only.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']luigi manson is for sure big title but really how much can animal crossing change, brainage same, pokemon REALLY how old are you 12. WHO as a adult gamer plays pokemon and brags about it. Plus might i add 3/4 of that list is lame japan rpg games. It's annoying how many rpg games have flodded the market in recent years. Playing rpg after 20 mins im ready to pull my eyes out.[/QUOTE]

This is the thing, if the games aren't for you, then that's fine and you dont need to buy the system.

There are a lot of people that do enjoy those kinda games and a LOT of adults play Pokemon. Im near 30 and a lot of my friends still play Pokemon.

Just because you personally don't enjoy RPGs does not mean a lot of other people don't and wouldnt love to buy all those games.

Perhaps if you had a more open mind you would see that.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']activision is like every major game publisher and company they only care about the money including your love NINTENDO.[/QUOTE]

Has nothing to do with Nintendo because hey, like I said before, I own a PS3, a Vita, a PC for Steam and a 360 as well. I love each of my consoles because I love games.

Activision is well known as always trying to be a bully in the industry and they always make empty threats.

Hell, this guy also has been known to say that companies shouldnt make new IPs and instead just milk the same game as much as they can, hence COD.

GzZFN.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back