Wii U poor sales confirmed BY NINTENDO! Blasterman poor troll confirmed BY BLASTERMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally enjoy RPG's and since most RPG's are on handhelds these days the 3DS is a must have for me. Rune Factory 4 and Pokemon alone are enough to justify the purchase of the handheld for me. Nintendo has already released a ton of Mario games for it and those are all available at your nearest retailer. You can play games like rune factory and Pokemon for a long long time each. Even if I only had those 2 games all year I could easily keep myself busy and not desire any more games, heck some people could probably spend a year alone just playing rune factory. You can spend infinite hours with Pokemon, just breeding for good IV's, I know I have in the past!

I really don't care what people think of me for playing pokemon, if that becomes a problem with someone then I don't need them as a friend period because something as trivial as playing a video game should not be something that breaks up friendships. If I enjoy the game then I am going to play it simple as that.

There is also the possibility of the Dragon quest 7 remake coming over, in fact I would be surprised if it never came, so I am pretty sure it's coming at some point since every other DQ DS game made it over.

The 3DS also plays regular DS games, and I find it hard to believe that any one person cannot find at least 3-4 games between the DS and 3DS library that they want to play. It's just such an incredibly huge library to choose from that it is impossible to not find something you want to play.

Well SaraAB I hate to sound Sexist but you are a female. Female's like cute things so its all good :), I think that person was talking about a boy liking it (how he knew that that person was a boy I do not know).

I'm a 32 year old male, I love RPGs, and I enjoy the main Pokemon titles in the franchise, for the most part. Heck, even my fiancé enjoys them. What's the issue? Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Rosterking']Doubt I'll ever stop playing pokemon myself; I'm 18. I imported MHP3rd HD to just play it. I don't think that series can go bad.[/QUOTE]

I said the same thing when I was 18. Haven't touched my Pokemon games since then. I was fucking crazy with that series, going so far as grinding EV stats with one hand while driving. I maxed out my Ruby's time counter at 999 hours about a year and a half post launch, 200 hours each into Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen plus whatever I had on the classic carts as a kid...it was insane and had to stop.

The Pokemon designs starting to look like shit didn't help either. What are half of the DS ones onward supposed to be anyway? Bunch of Digimon-esque tripe.

[quote name='TrumpetDan']I'm a 32 year old male, I love RPGs, and I enjoy the main Pokemon titles in the franchise, for the most part. Heck, even my fiancé enjoys them. What's the issue? Different strokes for different folks.[/QUOTE]

Only issue is with insecure people who aren't comfortable playing something not supposedly aimed at their age or sex.

I've never played Pokemon and never had any desire to do so. I'll be playing Ni No Kuni which is inspired by Pokemon. I have to admit, collecting things in games is something I don't enjoy because I get this tendency to want to do everything. I had that problem with achievement points for a while but have mostly cured myself of that. Pokemon is clearly aimed at children but that doesn't mean adults can't play it. Shit, my wife's playing a tinkerbell iPhone game she downloaded for our daughter.

If Activision is disappointed with Skylanders sales on WiiU, I wonder how much they shot themselves in the foot with the Wii Skylanders system bundle. I'd love to see numbers for that. If they really felt Skylanders was a system seller, then they should have done a WiiU bundle. Can you imagine how fun that would have been for a launch: the just announced ZombiU bundle sitting beside the Skylanders bundle.

Even as someone who loves the console... what exactly was the incentive of buying one in January? The same games that have been available since Nov. 18? The barren release schedule that didn't have a release until (well, then, anyway) the one game at the end of February?

It trailed, but it's also a new system that, frankly, hasn't given people a ton of concrete reasons to buy it *now*. This isn't the end of the world. Those aren't godawful numbers.

I mean, hey, it could've sold 45,000, right? I kid, I kid. I love the damn Vita, but that's... not great. Sigh.

People want to act like its shocking that a system with a very large library is doing better than a new system with not many games.

Would be interesting to pull up sales figures of Xbox after the 360 came out.

I would say PS2 as well but we all know the PS2 was still doing very well after the PS3 came out.

Its shocking isn't it?

Seriously, why is everyone considering Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's edge a "major exclusive"? Exclusive version? Ok, but the game still sucked, it just sucked slightly less.

[quote name='Deader2818']
[/QUOTE]

MS sent the Xbox out to pasture about 6 months prior to the 360 launch. I'm not talking about just stopping support with games and updates and still keeping the supply chain alive. We're talking stopped supplying stores with consoles to sell.

[quote name='soonersfan60']If Activision is disappointed with Skylanders sales on WiiU, I wonder how much they shot themselves in the foot with the Wii Skylanders system bundle. I'd love to see numbers for that. If they really felt Skylanders was a system seller, then they should have done a WiiU bundle. Can you imagine how fun that would have been for a launch: the just announced ZombiU bundle sitting beside the Skylanders bundle.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. They could have had a couple exclusive Skylander figs for the WiiU (not just reposes or paint jobs) but maybe a true exclusive Giant and an exclusive regular fig.

Or Nintendo could have had their own Skylanders-type game(pokemon) ready for the launch of their own system. I can't believe they haven't even announced it yet. What are they thinking?

[quote name='Deader2818']People want to act like its shocking that a system with a very large library is doing better than a new system with not many games.

I would say PS2 as well but we all know the PS2 was still doing very well after the PS3 came out.

Its shocking isn't it?[/QUOTE]
I believe these are the 2007 NDPs

________Wii _____X360___ PS3__ PS2___ NDS_____ PSP
January 436,000 294,000 244,000 299,000 239,000 211,000
February 335,000 228,000 127,000 295,000 485,000 176,000
March 259,000 199,000 130,000 280,000 509,000 180,000
April 360,000 174,000 82,000 194,000 471,000 183,000
May 338,000 155,000 82,000 188,000 423,000 221,000
June 381,800 198,400 98,500 270,000 561,000 230,100
July 425,000 170,000 159,000 222,000 405,000 214,000
August 403,600 276,700 130,600 202,000 383,300 151,200
September 501,000 527,800 119,400 215,000 495,800 284,500
October 519,000 366,000 121,000 184,000 458,000 286,000
November 981,000 770,000 466,000 496,000 1.53M 567,000
December 1.35M 1.26M 797,600 1.1M 2.470 M 1.06M

If some one knows how to format it better feel free to do so.

[quote name='Corvin']MS sent the Xbox out to pasture about 6 months prior to the 360 launch. I'm not talking about just stopping support with games and updates and still keeping the supply chain alive. We're talking stopped supplying stores with consoles to sell.[/QUOTE]

MS was also loosing a lot of money on the original Xbox even at the end of its run, compounded by the fact that folks could and seemingly were buying Xboxes just to use as XBMC devices. Made complete sense to cut off the supply chain as soon as the 360 was ready and let the units in the chain clear out to stem losses.

Would have worked really well if the 360 had not had its hardware issues, but at this point I believe the division is operating in the black.

[quote name='Corvin']Exactly. They could have had a couple exclusive Skylander figs for the WiiU (not just reposes or paint jobs) but maybe a true exclusive Giant and an exclusive regular fig.[/QUOTE]

Doubly so, this seems disingenuous on Activitision's part. The Wii bundle was a great idea because it was a reasonable price for a parent, anecdotally, I know several parents who went that route, but if you are pushing Wii with a great value, what moves the Wii U version?

It would have been unusual to have a console bundle right at launch, but Nintendo has already done a ZombiU and MH3 bundle, might as well do something exclusive for the Wii U.

I can't wait for that $100 price drop.

http://www.geekosystem.com/wii-u-poor-performance/
here used to be a time where you could easily find hard data on exactly how many units video game consoles manufacturers managed to get out the door, but the NPD Group has all that locked up tight these days. That said, they do release some numbers still, and a little extrapolation goes a long way. For this past January, it looks like Nintendo‘s really taking a beating. Not only has their Wii U software not been selling, but the Wii U console itself is said to have only moved around 50,000 units. That’s worse than any of the other current generation consoles ever did, for a little perspective. Ars Technica notes that the Wii sold around 67,000 units last October, and even Sony’s PlayStation 3 moved about 82,000 units in April and May of 2007 when it was still stupidly expensive. The Wii U selling this poorly is downright impressive, actually, but it’s not like we had a great time with it either. It might have been the wrong time for it. The Wii certainly wasn’t selling this poorly so soon after release.
It’s not like Nintendo has a whole lot of options here, though. It’s pretty unlikely that they’ll drop the price. Their only course now is to provide a strong lineup of games going forward, but even that looks tenuous right now. The company’s just going to have to take their lumps and hope for the best.

Ok, so until it reaches that 100 price drop you want, could you just kindly shut the fuck up?

This just just getting old and boring now from you.

Hell what you posted even says its unlikely there will be a price drop, lol.

720 and ps4 is going to have struggles as well since the market is totally different compared to 7 years ago.

Once Mario Kart, Zelda HD, Mario 3D and Smash Bros comes up, the system is going to pick up a lot of steam.

[quote name='Deader2818']Ok, so until it reaches that 100 price drop you want, could you just kindly shut the fuck up?

720 and ps4 is going to have struggles as well since the market is totally different compared to 7 years ago.

Once Mario Kart, Zelda HD, Mario 3D and Smash Bros comes up, the system is going to pick up a lot of steam.[/QUOTE]

I disagree with their assertion that there won't be a price drop. And no, I will keep posting here because when posting anywhere else people are told to post about Nintendo's terrible sales numbers here. You don't like it? Don't look at the thread or ignore me. I honestly couldn't give two shots what you think. What I think is that this Nintendo co sole will drop $100 by years end and until that point it will continue to see sales decline.

You have made your point clear though. You personally just want to buy the console for 249.99.

Its not like you posting every chance you get on every article you find on the Internet is going to make that price point happen faster.

System needs games. Once games come out (holiday time) system will see sharp sales move up at 349.99.

[quote name='Deader2818']You have made your point clear though. You personally just want to buy the console for 249.99.

Its not like you posting every chance you get on every article you find on the Internet is going to make that price point happen faster.

System needs games. Once games come out (holiday time) system will see sharp sales move up at 349.99.[/QUOTE]

People were claiming that it was selling well during the holiday season. I haven't seen hundreds of people come around and say they were wrong so I can only assume they still believe they were right.

If they don't do a price drop this holiday season, the Wii U will effectively be a failure. This is their chance, they have a lead on the other two. If they come in at virtually the same price as the new more powerful consoles then they might as well throw in the towel. Unlike the 3DS which had no competition (I don't consider the Vita a competitor), the Wii U is in a pretty crowded console market. It's rare for 3 consoles to survive simultaneously. This is why I think we'll see a $100 price drop.

People keep telling me that it's not going to happen so why shouldn't I post links about the dismal sales? Feel free to come here and post links about the great sales and provide data that a price drop is not needed.

Most smart people know the weak sales are due to no new games since launch. Come back after games actually come out and see if sales pick up.

If all these games come out and the system STILL can't sale,then its time to cut the price.

[quote name='Deader2818']Most smart people know the weak sales are due to no new games since launch. Come back after games actually come out and see if sales pick up.

If all these games come out and the system STILL can't sale,then its time to cut the price.[/QUOTE]

Okay then as a self described smart person, tell me which games you're describing. You're using the generic term "games" meaning that every time a game launches and we don't see a huge pop in sales, you'll come back and "that's not THE GAMES I was talking about".

So all I'm asking, what are the games? That way after they launch we can come back here and evaluate performance. I'm betting it doesn't matter what games launch for the Wii U, without a price drop sales may have a small bump the month the game comes out (not a huge increase in console sales) but after that the game will be largely irrelevant to sales and those sales will still be really bad (even the launch month).

" Once Mario Kart, Zelda HD, Mario 3D and Smash Bros comes up, the system is going to pick up a lot of steam."

Okay I guess these are "the games". When are any of these even coming out? How can you make a prediction that the console will be a huge hit once these games come out if those games AREN'T coming out?

edit:
Looking at IGN, it seems you're basically saying that the console won't be a success this entire year since none of those games are slated for release this year. Unless they announce some games at E3 that will launch this holiday, you're essentially agreeing with me that the console will be a failure this year.
http://www.ign.com/games/upcoming/wii-u
All I see is the Wind Waker remake and I'm sure you'll agree with me that isn't the Zelda you mean.

And for the record, even if some or all of those games launch this holiday season, it won't help sales without a price drop. Without a price drop, the PS3 and 360 and going to suck all the oxygen out of the room and the Wii U is going to suffocate. Unless both of the new consoles have severe shortages, the Wii U is going to do poorly. Supply exceeded demand this holiday season and that was the launch.

You will likely see a small increase in sales when Monster Hunter, Pikmin and Bayonetta 2 come out. Mario Kart and 3D Mario will be playable at E3 so there is a strong chance it will be out by holidays.

I didn't see a huge hit either. I don't think any of the 3 consoles are going to sale as well as this last gen since gaming is very different now.

[quote name='Deader2818']You will likely see a small increase in sales when Monster Hunter, Pikmin and Bayonetta 2 come out. Mario Kart and 3D Mario will be playable at E3 so there is a strong chance it will be out by holidays.

I didn't see a huge hit either. I don't think any of the 3 consoles are going to sale as well as this last gen since gaming is very different now.[/QUOTE]

Assuming that the 720 and PS4 both have price tags at 399.99 or less, I expect them to have substantial sales numbers and most likely both selling out the entire holiday season unless they supply some absurd number of consoles. It's a mistake to look at Wii U sales and think that has much relation to the other two. The tablet controller gimmick just isn't taking off like they hoped it would. I never really considered the Wii's controller to be a gimmick or fad but I definitely think that the Wii U is a gimmick.

They lost the casual market by going from a simple controller that grandma can use and creating a full fledged controller that's big and has a screen so there's even more stuff to do with it. The casuals are gone from Nintendo this generation and won't be back. That leaves core gamers which see a console priced too high, a gimmick controller, no games (I'll give you that one), new console launches upcoming, a probable price drop this year, a horrendous account system where ownership is locked onto the console rather than a player's account, terrible support for the Wii for the last few years (this is a wait and watch type of problem), and lastly all the ports that the console is getting are for stuff everyone played already!

edit:
This is why I don't think a few games will solve their sales problem. They're going to either price drop (I think they will) or solve a bunch of the problems listed (they have no intention of solving any of them other than launch games over time).

Unless the PS4 or 720 have some kinda drastic upgrade, there will be a lot of people that won't buy right away unless there is some killer games at launch that only can be had on PS4/720.

A lot of people just don't see the need or feel the need get a new console when their current one is just fine for them and have massive library of games to still play.

The 360 did well but they stopped support for the Xbox quickly. You couldn't even find the old Xbox since its supply was cut and what was left was what stores had. The PS2 outsold the PS3 for a long amount of time and PS3 didn't get going till a year later with uncharted.

Xbox/PS has a "casual" market just like the Wii. For as much shovel ware as the Wii had, the PS3 and 360 had a great share of it as well. People bought 360/ps3 to just use as their netflix, hulu machines etc with some games here and there. if they can still do that with the Ps4/720 out, that market wont rush out and get a new system just to have it.

I think a $50 price drop or having just one SKU at $300 with NintendoLand (but maybe not the other Deluxe extras) is a pretty good possibility for next Fall. I would say it all depends on what Sony and MS do at E3 so we just have to wait and see. Or they could just continue with the oddball sales that have been happening recently (eg, Costco and Target) and see if that spikes some sales. Those sales might be trial balloons for a price drop or more sales in the future.

[quote name='Deader2818']Ok, so until it reaches that 100 price drop you want, could you just kindly shut the fuck up?

Once Mario Kart, Zelda HD, Mario 3D and Smash Bros comes up, the system is going to pick up a lot of steam.[/QUOTE]

I posted the article because of the sales figures not because I agree with everything it says. I believe there will be a price drop.

You're wrong, the other two consoles will sell well. When the launches happen, you'll see (unless they're priced above 399.99). The economy is bad but it's not nearly as bad as it was a few years ago. That's not the reason the Wii U didn't sell well. Way more than 4-5 million people in this country are employed.

[quote name='io']I think a $50 price drop or having just one SKU at $300 with NintendoLand (but maybe not the other Deluxe extras) is a pretty good possibility for next Fall. I would say it all depends on what Sony and MS do at E3 so we just have to wait and see.[/QUOTE]

If there isn't a 100 price drop (I think there will be) there will DEFINITELY be a 50.

I think people are SEVERELY underestimating how popular MS's subsidy program is/will be. That's the catalyst for the $100 price drop (instead of just 50).

PS4/720 seem to be very anti-consumer devices if you've been paying attention. No backwards compatibility, no used games, online always on required to play games, Kinect required for the system operating (and packed in every box), etc. It's these type of things that will make consumers go 'no' because it makes the setup process harder and takes away control of their products. 'Always Online' is worse than no used games IMO, since online connections nowadays are very unstable.

Not to mention that the possibility of a PSN-style hack is out there, meaning if that happens, those games are completely useless under such scenarios. Why would anyone of rational judgment support such nonsense? These are big deals to people and you can't just say 'oh, it's not going to matter' because it will. It hurts the industry to be blatantly anti-consumer like this since it will drive people away from gaming just as quickly as Nintendo and Apple brought them in.

[quote name='KingBroly']PS4/720 seem to be very anti-consumer devices if you've been paying attention. No backwards compatibility, no used games, online always on required to play games, Kinect required for the system operating (and packed in every box), etc. It's these type of things that will make consumers go 'no' because it makes the setup process harder and takes away control of their products. 'Always Online' is worse than no used games IMO, since online connections nowadays are very unstable.

Not to mention that the possibility of a PSN-style hack is out there, meaning if that happens, those games are completely useless under such scenarios. Why would anyone of rational judgment support such nonsense? These are big deals to people and you can't just say 'oh, it's not going to matter' because it will. It hurts the industry to be blatantly anti-consumer like this since it will drive people away from gaming just as quickly as Nintendo and Apple brought them in.[/QUOTE]

I don't like what I've been hearing about them. That said, I'm withholding judgement until we know the truth. If you've been paying attention, you'd remember this:
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1029169/no-pre-owned-games-to-be-allowed-for-playstation-3v

Both systems are in a crowded market, the 3DS has tons of competition from apple and smartphones, the Wii U has competition from the other consoles. Games will come out for the Wii U but it might take 2-3 years to see enough worthwhile stuff to justify the purchase, the 3DS had nothing at launch, but now it has a ton of games, at least coming out before the end of the year.

[quote name='SaraAB']Both systems are in a crowded market, the 3DS has tons of competition from apple and smartphones, the Wii U has competition from the other consoles. Games will come out for the Wii U but it might take 2-3 years to see enough worthwhile stuff to justify the purchase, the 3DS had nothing at launch, but now it has a ton of games, at least coming out before the end of the year.[/QUOTE]

I think there's an expectation for the price of a Nintendo product at launch and its about 100 less than they launched at. Whether people want to admit it or not (I see a strangely large number of people denying this), Nintendo tries to target the children's market just as much as the core gamers and to a greater extent than the others. You can imagine a soccer mom going into Toys R Us looking for a console for little Johnny. She sees the Xbox with some first person pack in (Skyrim) and maybe one with kinect that. Next she sees the PS3 bundle with Uncharted 3 and Infamous 2. These are all $200. The Wii U is 350 and comes with one "tablet" but they already have an iPad and the other Wii without the tablet is damn near $100 and comes with two games that have the word "sports" in it which will get Johnny off the couch. She's been wanting to try Wii Fit for a while anyway because of her friends at the office.

Believe it or not, Wii Fit U may be more of a killer app than Zelda. Didnt wii fit have greater lifetime sales than most other first party games? I'm pretty sure it was in the top 10 for the Wii generation. If parents think they can use the console for something too then it's much more likely to be purchased.

Obviously kids aren't the only market for Nintendo products but they're certainly a large constituency of its consumers. If they put out a bundle with Nintendo land and Wii Fit U next holiday for $250, they'd sell all they could make of those bundles.

edit:
According to Wikipedia, as of Dec 2012 a list of the best selling Wii games of all time:

I knew it was up there but holy shit, WiiFit AND WiiFit Plus????? The WiiFits are 3rd and 4th best selling games that weren't packed in with a console or packed in with a controller for $10 more than the controller costs by itself. Also, consider WiiFit with the balance board is fucking expensive. It's amazing.

I agree with the CAGs that say the Wii U needs more games. It also needs better advertisement.

Nintendo is catering the Wii U around traditional gamers moreso than the Wii did for casual nontraditional gamers. Because of this the general demographic that would be interested in the Wii U (Nintendo fans, gamers) need more games from the system to justify a purchase.

They are also trying to integrate a new way to play games (Gamepad) but the advertisement on the Wii U and the Gamepad's features to the general public has been horrible so far.

A simple price cut is not the problem. In fact I think the Wii U is priced reasonably for a next gen system. The next gen technology for the Wii U is not in graphical/processing power but in it's interface. For me the Wii U is hands down more fun to use than the PS3 or 360 and it's because of Miiverse and the Gamepad. If Sony and MS can make their next gen systems fun and exciting like the Wii U and price it reasonably I think Nintendo will have something to be worried about. But I really don't think that will be the case and expect both companies to stress graphical prowess over user interface and fun factor.

Once the Wii U gets more games and Nintendo gets advertisement for the system out there it should start selling a lot more units.

[quote name='Deader2818']Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus appeals to every single age group. Not hard to imagine it did well.[/QUOTE]

I had no idea it did that well. If you add them together they are number 2 after Wii Sports...

[quote name='Blaster man']I had no idea it did that well. If you add them together they are number 2 after Wii Sports...[/QUOTE]

The entire Wii game series did well, launching Wii U without something like that was extremely odd and yet another of the many things Nintendo could have done to better push Wii U.

I am not saying its good by any means but pretty much any console is like this at launch, it's sad too because there are people with money willing to buy these games but no games are coming out and it's delay after delay as far as the ones that were supposed to come out. If better planning was to take place regarding these launches then this would not happen.

Also delaying games they are saying are coming out is inexcusable, if the game is not ready then list the release date 6 months into the future or just plain don't talk about the game until it will be ready on the date you say for sure.

I am not sure about the Wii fit, if people will be willing to buy another one, all my GS stores are filled with stacks of unused balance boards and I personally picked up a Wii fit for $5 at a yard sale. While sales were good for the Wii fit the attach rate was extremely low after the first month or so of ownership. This isn't good for future sales because people feel burned by it so they are likely not to buy it again. Everyone in my family got a Wii fit but no one used it for more than a month.

Believe me I have been burned by Nintendo before, it's not happening again, however I bought my 3DS a month ago and I am very satisfied, you really do need to wait at least 2 years for a Nintendo console to take shape.

[quote name='SaraAB']

I am not sure about the Wii fit, if people will be willing to buy another one, all my GS stores are filled with stacks of unused balance boards and I personally picked up a Wii fit for $5 at a yard sale. While sales were good for the Wii fit the attach rate was extremely low after the first month or so of ownership. This isn't good for future sales because people feel burned by it so they are likely not to buy it again. Everyone in my family got a Wii fit but no one used it for more than a month.

[/QUOTE]
I think the problem with the Wii Fit is the problem every exercise thing has. Everyone buys them saying oh yeah I will use them, get healthier but after a month they are like fuck this, this is work :lol:.

[quote name='SaraAB']Believe me I have been burned by Nintendo before, it's not happening again, however I bought my 3DS a month ago and I am very satisfied, you really do need to wait at least 2 years for a Nintendo console to take shape.[/QUOTE]

Am I the only one old enough to remember the N64 launch? Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. That was it. Compared to that, we practically drowned in game releases for the Wii U launch. :)

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I think the problem with the Wii Fit is the problem every exercise thing has. Everyone buys them saying oh yeah I will use them, get healthier but after a month they are like fuck this, this is work :lol:.[/QUOTE]

My wife and I have been using it for years. I don't exercise with it, I have machines for that but I use it to track weight....it's what I use the Wii for more than anything else.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I think the problem with the Wii Fit is the problem every exercise thing has. Everyone buys them saying oh yeah I will use them, get healthier but after a month they are like fuck this, this is work :lol:.[/QUOTE]

Actually, my wife had the opposite issue with Wii Fit. She didn't think it worked you hard enough. Like Blaster Man, I used the board a long time as a weight management tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back