Windows Phone 7 game discussion thread

[quote name='seanr1221']I agree, only because I wanted to see more about the xbox integration.

I wouldn't be able to upgrade until January anyway, which should make the decision easier (if it's DOA, Live support fizzles out, hardware/software issues).

If I have to run bootcamp on my iMac just to upload music, I'd be pretty annoyed and that alone might make my decision for me.[/QUOTE]

I was really surprised that the 2 main WP7 differentiators, Office and LIVE, got so little time.

And mobile is too important for Microsoft to not stick with it, even if it becomes a money loser.

[quote name='manthing']I'm curious how restrictive MS will be with the hardware specs in the future.

Android has a new superphone revealed every other week. Like, will a WP7 phone shown next summer be able to use Tegra2 processors?[/QUOTE]

The Tegra 2 is already obsolete. Many manufacturers are ditching it in favor of other chips like the OMAP4. The tegra 2 can't do more than 720p.

Very underwhelmed with WP7. GSM only. Same games as other mobile platforms.

I'm sticking with my Palm Pre. I have nearly every "cool game" that is also on IOS (better gaming than Android by far), still the best UI on any mobile platform..... I'll wait till HP/Palm announce their new hardware (OMAP4) later this year.

[quote name='manthing']I was really surprised that the 2 main WP7 differentiators, Office and LIVE, got so little time.

And mobile is too important for Microsoft to not stick with it, even if it becomes a money loser.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

And MS was in the mobile phone business before apple or google. It is amazing how far they fell behind.

Hopefully I'll be picking up an HTC Surround also today!

And, yes, there's a sync thingy for Macs. It integrates with iTunes, although I can't test it until I get a WP7 device.

[quote name='dabamus']Hopefully I'll be picking up an HTC Surround also today!

And, yes, there's a sync thingy for Macs. It integrates with iTunes, although I can't test it until I get a WP7 device.[/QUOTE]

So are you going from iPhone to WP7 on OS X? You'd be in the same boat as me...let me know your impressions.

No. I have an iPad.

I'm gonna try syncing on my Macbook and then if that doesn't let me buy apps, then I'll sync on my Win7 desktop.

I have my music synced between my macbook and Win7 desktop anyways with Windows Live Mesh.

EDIT: my current phone is an HTC Pure running WinMo 6.5 Pro

who's the phone services carrier for the phone

edit AT& T

[quote name='seanr1221']I can't decide between the Focus or the Surround. Anyone get the Focus?[/QUOTE]

I have the Focus and I love it.

However, I would wait until they fix the issue with microSD. The Focus comes with 8gb of storage but has a microSD slot where you can throw in as much as 32gb of microSD. if you are going to do a lot of gaming you will want the extra space.

If you have a specific question, let me know but I have had it since launch and really have had no issue except for the microSD which is a Samsung problem

I have the following games:

Unite
Chess4all
Need for Speed Undercover (better than the iPhone version I played)
de Blob
Flight Control
imolio

I know a lot of downloads of Harvest of happened but not sure I am willing to pay $8 for game on my phone. I have a very long daily commute and there are mostly to pass the time if I am not doing work.

How can WinPhone7 be exclusive to one or two carriers here in the US? I'm not sure that is a great strategy considering the marketshare that the iPhone and Blackberry already have. Even more mind boggling is that they went with AT&T as their horse, so they are going head to head with Apple & BB right at the point of sale. Any word on them expanding to Verizon or other carriers anytime soon?

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']How can WinPhone7 be exclusive to one or two carriers here in the US? I'm not sure that is a great strategy considering the marketshare that the iPhone and Blackberry already have. Even more mind boggling is that they went with AT&T as their horse, so they are going head to head with Apple & BB right at the point of sale. Any word on them expanding to Verizon or other carriers anytime soon?[/QUOTE]

AT&T and T-Mobile as of Nov 8th
http://phones.microsoftstore.com/mobile/?WT.mc_id=pointitsem_wp7_generic_wp7&WT.srch=1

Sprint and Verizon Q1 2011
Others to also follow

All the major carriers in Europe already have them. Its CDMA that is always problematic in the USA

[quote name='TurboPascal']AT&T and T-Mobile as of Nov 8th
http://phones.microsoftstore.com/mobile/?WT.mc_id=pointitsem_wp7_generic_wp7&WT.srch=1

Sprint and Verizon Q1 2011
Others to also follow

All the major carriers in Europe already have them. Its CDMA that is always problematic in the USA[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info! Glad to hear WP7 will be coming to Verizon. Will probably pick one up then, but I'm not a huge fan of touch screens so hopefully there will be some decent options that at least have a keypad for txt/email/etc. I am partial to my blackberry, but I guess if one of the touch screen phones is similar to the Droid my wife has I'd be ok with that.

Anyone here have one of the phones with the keypad? Any impressions?

I wonder if new XBL games will come each Wednesday. Assassin's Creed went up today.

6.99...seems high but that's what is used to be on the iPhone.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']How can WinPhone7 be exclusive to one or two carriers here in the US? I'm not sure that is a great strategy considering the marketshare that the iPhone and Blackberry already have. Even more mind boggling is that they went with AT&T as their horse, so they are going head to head with Apple & BB right at the point of sale. Any word on them expanding to Verizon or other carriers anytime soon?[/QUOTE]

Verizon is already confirmed for early 2011 with the "Trophy" WP7 phone. The Reason it didn't launch on Verizon at launch is due to the lovley Kin debacle Microsoft had with Verizon. Though it seems that's been resolved. (Maybe why the Kin is on sale again at Verizon?)

Took my Surround back. That is the hottest phone I've ever owned. I would barely be doing anything with it and it would be blazing hot. Also didn't care about not being able to download ringtones. I'll wait a bit before I decide to give it another try.

Posting this from my HTC HD7. I forgot sometimes that this site does have other threads besides deals. So I decided to see if there was any talk of WP7 and here I am. :)

Absolutely love the phone. What I've been expecting and more since I've been following it since first announced.

[quote name='sleepydumbdude']Took my Surround back. That is the hottest phone I've ever owned. I would barely be doing anything with it and it would be blazing hot. Also didn't care about not being able to download ringtones. I'll wait a bit before I decide to give it another try.[/QUOTE]

I would go with the focus, the screen is so freaking nice. Plus I have never noticed it get hot at all ever. Even after a half hour of playing games via Xbox LIVE on it.

[quote name='seanr1221']Oregon Trail is up! 4.99

I wonder if it was up early today...im curious if XBL game will be restricted to Wednesday releases.[/QUOTE]

Actually it was out 2 days ago along with Assassin's Creed. Maybe it is only on Wednesdays.

[quote name='sleepydumbdude']Took my Surround back. That is the hottest phone I've ever owned. I would barely be doing anything with it and it would be blazing hot. Also didn't care about not being able to download ringtones. I'll wait a bit before I decide to give it another try.[/QUOTE]

LMAO! Sounds like Micro$hit succeeded at their campaign to have at least one person put down their phone and "get back to life".

[quote name='VipFREAK']LMAO! Sounds like Micro$hit succeeded at their campaign to have at least one person put down their phone and "get back to life".[/QUOTE]

Guess what. The phone getting hot would be due to the phone's designer, not Microsoft. And man, that was a stupid post, dude. You should pat yourself on the back if that's what you were going for.

[quote name='eastx']Guess what. The phone getting hot would be due to the phone's designer, not Microsoft. And man, that was a stupid post, dude. You should pat yourself on the back if that's what you were going for.[/QUOTE]

Stop trying to make sense, man. There's no place for that on internet message boards.

[quote name='sleepydumbdude']Going to wait until they fix the SD thing before I get the focus. Also would like to see what they are going to do about downloadable ringtones.[/QUOTE]

There will be update sometime in January

[quote name='mtxbass1']Are there any other Windows Phone 7 developers here, or just end users?[/QUOTE]

I am in the process of developing in SilverLight for WP7 for some business apps but I am so darn busy have yet to try to develop a game but I have some Italian Card games I learned as a kid that I would love to develop

I just picked up the Focus this weekend after my girlfriend sent my iPhone 3g for a swim while it was charging, frying it and the SIM.

It was a toss-up between the iPhone 4 and the Focus, and while I'm familiar with the iPhone, I wanted to try something different (and getting an additional $50 off helped too).

After a few days of having it, I love it. The screen is amazing, the UI is sleek and smooth, and I've always preferred the Zune interface to the iPod's. Also, I have yet to drop a single call, or even lose coverage in the same spots where my iPhone failed me constantly.

My complaints?

1) Charging is a pain. Via USB it isn't feasible, is it barely outputs enough to keep up with the phone's consumption. So the only real way to charge is from the wall or the car charger. On the plus side, you can sync the phone wirelessly, so long as you have your PC on a wifi network. After 10 minutes plugged into the wall, the phone connects with the Zune software to sync. This feature is pretty snazzy.

2) Lack of apps. Some of my favorite apps from the iPhone are not available. Seeing as the phone has only been out a few weeks, I'm certain this will change in the near future, for the most part.

3) Custom ringtones. The selection of ringtones on the phone is pretty large, but they're all rather generic. But from I've read, as well as what is posted above, the update in January will tackle this, along with many other issues.

There are a few other little annoyances, but nothing I can't adjust to.

both phones (focus & surround) look and seem poorly designed and made. For that price, i'd wait it out and i'm sticking to my iphone 4 for now. I had big hopes for this idea but i'll pass on it. It seems to be more like a Zune HD Phone. I guess it is catering to those who want to play games on the go and earn achievements as well while on the go and what not.

Don't know where you're getting that opinion, Intoxicated. Reviews of the Focus are almost entirely positive.

Anybody try to LG Quantum? I'm interested in its keyboard, though the 3.5 inch screen (as opposed to 4 inches like other models) is a downer.

bread's done
Back