Windows Phone 7 game discussion thread

I feel like this kind of waters down the meaning of the Xbox 360 achievement system in some ways. Of course, I think that about including PC games as well.... Oh well, whatever.

Yeah, but a lot of things already water down the meaning, anyway. You have games with insanely easy achievements, like that Last Airbender game where you can get all 1000 GS in a like a minute or something. And then you have people who boost and trade achievements, which kind of goes against the whole idea of "achieving" them.

Doesn't stop me from being an achievement whore. Just saying.

^ I agree but at least those things are done on the same platform. It doesn't stop me from having fun with it either though.

Well, I retract my praise for the phone. While I like alot about it, the battery/charging issue is becoming quite the deal breaker.

Even with minimal use, and being plugged in most of the day while I'm at work, the battery is still almost half dead at this point. This is with manual retrieving email, wifi off, etc. And I've talked maybe a whole 20 minutes on it. All this and then taking 3-4 hours to fully charge? No thanks.

Looks like I'm going back to AT&T tomorrow to swap it for an iPhone 4. Unfortunate because I was really liking the phone, other than this.

Spooge, maybe you just got a defective battery. Others in this thread don't seem to have the same battery problem.

anyone have the HTC HD7 for T-Mobile? I have an iphone 4 and wanna know if it's worth making the change. I mainly use it right now for music (as an ipod) and can live without the other features. Another thing is, I already have t-mobile service and would prefer a smart phone instead of waiting for an unlock to come out for the iphone 4.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Just being as cleaver as they are with their advertising. It's fun stuff really.[/QUOTE]

Leave Beaver alone!

[quote name='intoxicated662']anyone have the HTC HD7 for T-Mobile? I have an iphone 4 and wanna know if it's worth making the change. I mainly use it right now for music (as an ipod) and can live without the other features. Another thing is, I already have t-mobile service and would prefer a smart phone instead of waiting for an unlock to come out for the iphone 4.[/QUOTE]

I hear it's inferior features-wise to the Samsung Focus, but I couldn't tell you exactly how. I'm sure Engadget has reviewed it though.

I don't have an HD7, but I do have a Samsung Focus, and I can tell you that I love the phone.

One of the main reasons, of course, is the OS. It's awesome.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with any phone running WP7.

[quote name='intoxicated662']anyone have the HTC HD7 for T-Mobile? I have an iphone 4 and wanna know if it's worth making the change. I mainly use it right now for music (as an ipod) and can live without the other features. Another thing is, I already have t-mobile service and would prefer a smart phone instead of waiting for an unlock to come out for the iphone 4.[/QUOTE]

I already have an app on my ip4 that lets me see who's on xbl and all that good stuff. I don't do much gaming on my ip4 except for rock band & guitar hero really. How's the gaming on a windows 7 phone though? I saw the hd7 for t-mobile on craigslist but damn $350? Forget about it, i'll wait. What's the memory on the phone anyways built in and can you upgrade via micro sd card or what? I don't know anyone who owns one of these phones.

I've revamped the OP with lots of new info. It should be a great way to keep track of what phones are available and from whom, plus what games are out and coming out.

Intoxicated, you'll find a review of the HD7 in the OP that answers your questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent! Great info.

BTW - Puzzle Quest 2 and Crackdown 2: Project Sunburst are releasing this week (Wednesday).

Sounds like two new good ones!

[quote name='eastx']I've revamped the OP with lots of new info. It should be a great way to keep track of what phones are available and from whom, plus what games are out and coming out.

Intoxicated, you'll find a review of the HD7 in the OP that answers your questions.[/QUOTE]

Picked up a focus yesterday, I am VERY impressed so far. Ive been using a 3g iphone since launch.
the focus is very quick in everything it does, movement between screens and apps is very fast, definately faster than the 3g and seems faster than the 3gs though I only use that phone sporadically.
the interface is excellent, extremely intuitive and simple.

The reception is better than my iphone, I consistently lost coverage in my area of town and in the majority of my house. The lowest ive seen the focus reception is 3/5 bars 3g connection. I routinely lost 3g completely and frequiently lost coverage completely.

The call quality (ive only made one call) could be better, its a step down from my iphone.

It baffles me that they decided to make xbox friends lists require a downloadable app that you launch from within the xbox app. Friends lists should be readily visable in the core xbox app.
I wont develop a full opinion on the call quality until ive spent some more time with it.
at this point my only real problem is the xbox friends list hanging out 2 apps deep, and that is something id expect to be addressed.

Besides the excellent interface, the screen is the most notable feature. I havent spent more than a dozen minutes with the ihpone4 retina display but outside that phone, this is easily the best display ive ever seen on a cell phone. the colors are sharp and vibrant, the blacks are better than anything ive ever seen in a mobile device. The display does a great job os highlighting the big icons and widgets wp7 uses prominently.

I didnt have the highest expectations for the phone when I picked it up but have as a whole, been extremely impressed. It just does a lot of things right, it feels good, its simple, and there seems like a lot of upside to the platform.

My personal issue with the phone is an inability to use it in conjunction with my car stereo like i can my iphone. thats not a fault of the phone, i couldnt use an android phone either in the same way either.

[quote name='intoxicated662']I already have an app on my ip4 that lets me see who's on xbl and all that good stuff. I don't do much gaming on my ip4 except for rock band & guitar hero really. How's the gaming on a windows 7 phone though? I saw the hd7 for t-mobile on craigslist but damn $350? Forget about it, i'll wait. What's the memory on the phone anyways built in and can you upgrade via micro sd card or what? I don't know anyone who owns one of these phones.[/QUOTE]

well the prices on craiglist are of course for uncontracted phones. im sure youll see iphone4's for hefty amounts too.
the samsung focus has 8gb built in and accepts up to 32gb micro sd cards.

Ive had several xbox apps on my iphone none of them are as stream lined, simple and full-featured as the wp7 xbox integration.

for costco members. i bought the focus from them yesterday for a whopping $50.

paz9x,

You can pin the xbox live extras app to your start screen, so that you don't have to go through the games hub.

[quote name='paz9x']Picked up a focus yesterday, I am VERY impressed so far. Ive been using a 3g iphone since launch.
the focus is very quick in everything it does, movement between screens and apps is very fast, definately faster than the 3g and seems faster than the 3gs though I only use that phone sporadically.
the interface is excellent, extremely intuitive and simple.

The reception is better than my iphone, I consistently lost coverage in my area of town and in the majority of my house. The lowest ive seen the focus reception is 3/5 bars 3g connection. I routinely lost 3g completely and frequiently lost coverage completely.

The call quality (ive only made one call) could be better, its a step down from my iphone.

It baffles me that they decided to make xbox friends lists require a downloadable app that you launch from within the xbox app. Friends lists should be readily visable in the core xbox app.
I wont develop a full opinion on the call quality until ive spent some more time with it.
at this point my only real problem is the xbox friends list hanging out 2 apps deep, and that is something id expect to be addressed.

Besides the excellent interface, the screen is the most notable feature. I havent spent more than a dozen minutes with the ihpone4 retina display but outside that phone, this is easily the best display ive ever seen on a cell phone. the colors are sharp and vibrant, the blacks are better than anything ive ever seen in a mobile device. The display does a great job os highlighting the big icons and widgets wp7 uses prominently.

I didnt have the highest expectations for the phone when I picked it up but have as a whole, been extremely impressed. It just does a lot of things right, it feels good, its simple, and there seems like a lot of upside to the platform.

My personal issue with the phone is an inability to use it in conjunction with my car stereo like i can my iphone. thats not a fault of the phone, i couldnt use an android phone either in the same way either.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jkimrey']paz9x,

You can pin the xbox live extras app to your start screen, so that you don't have to go through the games hub.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I actually discovered this about an hour ago and was coming back to this thread to edit my comments on it. I still think it should be simply integrated into the xbox live games app.

Agree 100% with you.

I think there is a lot of room for improvement with all the different 'hubs'.

What excites me is that I think they have the basics down - nice, fast, intuitive interface. I like the way the various hubs work (overall) and like the tiles on the homescreen.

In all, I think it's a very good 1.0. Now we just need to get to 2.0 quick. ;)

Looking forward to the two new Live games released tomorrow (PQ2 and Crackdown 2: PS).

I've actually found myself playing Carneyvale lately - it's quite addictive.

[quote name='paz9x']Thank you. I actually discovered this about an hour ago and was coming back to this thread to edit my comments on it. I still think it should be simply integrated into the xbox live games app.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='eastx']Don't know where you're getting that opinion, Intoxicated. Reviews of the Focus are almost entirely positive.

Anybody try to LG Quantum? I'm interested in its keyboard, though the 3.5 inch screen (as opposed to 4 inches like other models) is a downer.[/QUOTE]

Id love to here any thoughts on the Quantum as well. I like having the option of a physical keyboard since I tend to ramble. I don't midn the smaller screen, although the loss of AMOLED seems a bit of a downer.

Id also like to hear people's thoughts on battery life for the AT&T phones. One other benefit of the Focus is that the AMOLED screen should also improve battery life.

Also, are the touch screens as responsive as the iPhone's? I have been able to live with the onscreen keyboard on the 3G, but after seeing how big the differences can be, I have been hesitant about branching out.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/24/moto-touchscreen-comparison-recruits-robotic-implements-for-heig/

Just checked the prices for the AT&T WP7 phones on Amazon and they are much better than the retail price. If I pick one up thru Amazon it should still qualify for the promotion right?

What's the best deal for 2 HD7s from T-Mobile ?

They're $99 at Costco or $199 BOGO at T-Mobile are there any other deals that anyone knows of ?

[quote name='Hoffer']What I am hoping for is MS putting this same software on the Zune HD. I would pick up a Zune in a second if I could have Xbox Live and these games on it.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, typical Microsoft. A big push on flavor of the year by Microsoft, but my son's Zune HD which is barely over a year old is basically orphaned. There is no reason it couldn't have the same software integration as WinMo7 ala iPod Touch. And you can't get into the full experience of WinMo7 without BOTH a dataplan and the Zune Pass, at least with AT&T.

He's 12. He doesn't need a dataplan because he can use WiFi for when he needs data. But no, we can't have that option. So now his first cellphone is a smartphone-lite with no integration with Zune Pass, which is silly, when he could have just gone with a Win7 phone.

[quote name='thrustbucket'](I'd rather have a daily colonoscopy than use itunes)[/QUOTE]

For music management, use MediaMonkey. It synchs directly with iOS. You still have to have iTunes, obviously, but I manage zero music with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS puts some stuff on Zune HD, especially if the lower sales of the WP7 are true. Might as well make some extra cash in apps...plus the strategy works really well for Apple.

Market it as MS' portable to Xbox players, and you might have a hit on your hands.

[quote name='Richlough']What's the best deal for 2 HD7s from T-Mobile ?

They're $99 at Costco or $199 BOGO at T-Mobile are there any other deals that anyone knows of ?[/QUOTE]

Amazon had them for $49.99 around Thanksgiving. I'm not sure if they're still that price or not though.

[quote name='seanr1221']I wouldn't be surprised if MS puts some stuff on Zune HD, especially if the lower sales of the WP7 are true. Might as well make some extra cash in apps...plus the strategy works really well for Apple.

Market it as MS' portable to Xbox players, and you might have a hit on your hands.[/QUOTE]

Agreed and it'd be reason enough for me to get a Zune. I'm considering a W7 phone when my current contract w/ verizon is up in late '11. If they have a windows 7 phone, that is...

I ended up going with the Focus. Are there ever any deals on the games?

I like the idea of the XBox Live marketplace, but I am a little bummed that theres a sale going on in the 360 marketplace, which doesnt seem to have carried over to the WP7 one. That and there isnt a lot of variety in the games available, but I didn't realize that WP7 phones were released just recently.

[quote name='Richlough']Can you play the Zune HD games on WP7 ?
I really want to try the PGR Ferrari etd .[/QUOTE]

That seems to be a negative. I just tried to find it.

Also, I now hate you for bringing this glaring omission to my attention. The current selection makes the PSP Minis program look stellar by comparison.

Two new games came out this week:

Pac-Man $4.99
Tower Bloxx: New York $2.99

Last week saw the releases of:

Revolution $2.99
Rise of Glory $2.99

Pac-Man is grossly overpriced and Tower Bloxx is apparently pretty janky. I tried Rise of Glory and it seems like a decent 3D arcade flight game if you can master the controls. But mostly I just crashed repeatedly, so I didn't get into it.

BTW I finally got a Samsung Focus and love it. Will try to update the OP with new features and such if people keep the discussion alive.

I'd get a Zune or a portable Xbox if either fully supported Xbox Live Arcade games. Ikaruga and Galaga Legions/Pacman Championship on the go would be awesome. I'm currently happy with my cell phone.

I purchased Fruit Ninja and it is a fun game to play, and my kids love it as well. Nothing like farming out achievements to your 6 and 7 year olds. Daddy needs achievements!

I want a Windows Phone so bad. I want to get XBL achievements on my phone. I'm just not ready to jump from my iPhone only for the games. I so want MS to announce a new Zune that runs the WP7 OS.

Looking at Major Nelson's achievements last night, I saw Flight Control. I've spent hours playing that game on my iPhone. To get XBL achievements would be awesome.

I returned my HD7's . Mine had a blemish inside the screen, and my wife didn't like the phone anyway .

Now I have the Samsung Focus and I'm alot happier .

Now I'm just waiting for the Project Sunburst servers to get running properlly .

Updated the OP with links to each game's product page (when available) and prices. Suggestions are appreciated!

[youtube]v-vQBl8WwFM[/youtube]

More good news. Microsoft's Game Room service is coming to Windows Phone 7. Sort of. Instead of the whole Game Room library coming to WP7 at once, games will see individual releases. Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, and Shao-Lin's Road have been announced so far. They should be only $2.99 and each one has Achievements worth 200 GamerScore.

[youtube]91KTtc9AfQM[/youtube]

Another upcoming game, Fable Coin Golf, will connect to Fable 3 on 360, much like Project Sunburst connects to Crackdown 2.

[youtube]qgdzO5DNX58[/youtube]

Full House Poker is a single-player poker game (argh) that will connect with the XBLA version of the game so that money earned on either platform is shared. It's also the first WP7 game to use Avatars. Here's a preview of the XBLA version.

[quote name='Hoffer']I want a Windows Phone so bad. I want to get XBL achievements on my phone. I'm just not ready to jump from my iPhone only for the games. I so want MS to announce a new Zune that runs the WP7 OS.
[/QUOTE]
Me too. I came in this thread because I started noticing some games on friend's lists that I never heard of and wanted to see any news on a new Zune.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Me too. I came in this thread because I started noticing some games on friend's lists that I never heard of and wanted to see any news on a new Zune.[/QUOTE]

That was my one CES prediction that didn't come through.

Then again, we haven't heard anything on Zune HD2, except some rumors from Gizmodo back in September, so who knows at this point.

Maybe in the spring we'll hear something.

However, I think MS will have to work on the pricing to compete with the iOS App Store. Weekly sales, even DOTW stuff, would help.

Who would ever think MS would provide the same product that's more expensive over Apple, it's like bizarro land :lol:

[youtube]WQ4b8RQF2aM[/youtube]

Zombies!!! is a board game with 3D graphics. It supports both single-player and local multiplayer. Babaroga developed the game, which costs $4.99.

Players take turns placing city tiles until a city is built. They must try to either reach the helipad to escape or kill 25 zombies before the other players. Players draw cards that can provide them with weapons (when played in the right location), harm other players by stealing their zombie kills or forcing them to fight more zombies, and more. Combat is accomplished by dice rolls: get a 4 or higher to kill a zombie. Roll less than 4 and you'll have to use your limited supply of bullets or take damage. Dying sends you back to the starting point and takes half of your kills.

Zombies!!! has a Survival Horror single-player mode in which you try to escape the city or clear it of over 100 zombies. It's actually really fun and works great on a mobile phone. The game's 3D graphics are about PSOne-quality, but definitely pleasant for a mobile game. Anyone who's into zombies in general, enjoys board games/RPGs, or wants a local multiplayer game for their phone should give it a shot.

Note: Currently the Was it Worth it? Achievement (10G) is unattainable, but hopefully this gets fixed soon. The others are all fairly easy and fun to get.

[youtube]KlJCmh5DggE[/youtube]

Ghostscape is an upcoming horror-themed adventure game from Psionic Games.

Footage of another game:
[youtube]hwvJ0zgOZt8[/youtube]

Also I've started adding iPhone reviews of upcoming games to the OP so you can get an idea of what those games are going to be like.

bread's done
Back