Windows Phone 7 game discussion thread

Why do you care about your recently played list?

Thanks for posting the link about the Deal of the Week. That was a fun experience - I got to speak to Microsoft's Mobile Business Manager on the phone and learn about all kinds of cool stuff. For instance, there will be a tower defense game as a DOTW (hint). Also, Fable Coin Golf is coming out very soon, possibly next week.

It's not like I care in the sense my day is ruined, just want to make sure theres nothing wrong with my device.

Having said that, you should check for me real quick ;)

Also, I hope we get an update on Twin Blades soon. I miss that game.

Something I just thought of...

I wonder if updating to NoDo will be a problem without a sim card. I would think everything would be ok, but hopefully the lack of a sim card doesn't lock me out or mess things up.

We now have a Deal of the Week thread in the deals forum. Please drop by and support it - but don't stop coming here for discussion!

Sean, I don't think the lack of sim will be a problem. I think you download NoDo from the Zune PC software anyway. We'll see!

[quote name='seanr1221']I found a Focus on Craigslist, and I traded the guy my old 360 (pre slim, just sitting under my bed) for his phone. I'm keeping it on airplane mode, and just using wifi, and it pretty much works flawlessly. Also, since it's not connected to a network, the battery lasts a pretty damn long time.[/QUOTE]

I have been impatiently waiting for a Zune that runs the WP7 OS. I have been thinking about just buying an unlocked phone and doing exactly what you're doing.

How much did you pay the guy for the phone? I'm not interested in paying $500 for a portable Xbox Live device. I never thought about buying one used. I am going to be monitoring Craigslist and eBay now. :)

It was just a straight trade for the old 360

He didn't even want a controller, just the console.

I got pretty lucky, but in my area most WP7 devices go for 200-300.00

[quote name='seanr1221']It was just a straight trade for the old 360

He didn't even want a controller, just the console.

I got pretty lucky, but in my area most WP7 devices go for 200-300.00[/QUOTE]

I'm such an idiot. I remember reading that you traded for it. I even have it that you traded it in the text I quoted. :)

I found a guy in my area selling a Focus for $250. To be honest, I don't find that price too bad. I passed on the idea of buying an unlocked phone because it's probably like $500+ for a new one. I didn't even think of used or whatever it is on Craigslist.

What type of SIM card does the Focus use? I also have an iPhone 4 and it uses that micro-SIM. If I could pop the SIM out and put it in the Focus to play around with, that would be awesome.

I'm so excited now!!! :D

I found the user's manual for the Focus. It looks like it uses a standard SIM card. I wonder if they make adapters you can pop a micro-SIM into that you could then put into the FOCUS.

How does a WP7 sync with your computer? Is it through Zune software? Do you download the XBLA games from an app on the phone itself? My mind is running 100 miles per hour about this.

They do make adapters you can pop the micro-SIM into that could then be used in the Focus. I found some on Amazon for only a couple bucks.

Slow down, champ ;)

I have an iPhone 4 also, but I haven't tried swapping sim cards. I just keep the focus on airplane mode. I don't see the problem with moving the sim back and forth, but why would you, just to try out the phone functionality?

I sync mine through the WP7 connector, because I use OSX. If you're using windows, you use the Zune software. Yes, the phone has a marketplace you can download the apps from. You can also grab them from the Zune software (I think).

I only want to play around with it as a phone. I'm not giving up my iPhone 4.

I've already ordered a SIM adapter off Amazon. $3 and change. :)

The guy replied and I'm meeting him at a Caribou Coffee after work. There's no slowing me down!!! :D

Yeah, I sold my iPhone 3GS for more than $250 last summer when I got my iPhone 4. I could maybe haggle with the guy. I need to see the phone first. If it's all scratched up and stuff, I'll offer him less. I think the haggling should be done before meeting. I don't want to waste his time.

I guess I'm just fine with $250 considering what buying the phone new unlocked would cost. Heck, the Nintendo 3DS costs $250 and you can't get XBL achievements on it!! :)

Just going back through this thread. I did not realize there were already so many XBL games on WP7. I have a feeling I'll be spending some serious MS points tonight. :D

Getting achievements for playing Fruit Ninja and Flight Control just seems like a dream. I've spent countless hours playing Flight Control on my iPhone.

I'm so excited!! Yes, I'm this big a geek!!!

You can't use MS points to buy games ;) which I actually like.

There are a few games you CAN'T get achievements in unless you re connected online. The only three we know of are Need for Speed, Women's Murder Club and Rocket Riot.

Can the Focus be turned on without a SIM? I'm wondering if this Craigslist guy's Focus doesn't have a SIM in it, if I'll be able to test that it works. I don't want to pay $250 for a phone that is busted. I can't put my SIM in it without the adapter I ordered today.

Welcome to the thread, Hoffer! Don't forget you can edit your posts, so there's no need to double post if somebody hasn't replied to your initial post yet.

Deal of the Week is Battle for Hoth for $2.99. I bought it a while back and I find it too difficult to be much fun, but maybe others will feel differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm a little confused when I click on the units in Battle for Hoth. What do the symbols mean? Besides the bottom one (to sell the unit).

[quote name='eastx']Welcome to the thread, Hoffer! [/QUOTE]

Actually, I was one of the first people to post in the thread. I just haven't really had much of a reason to come back. It is more of a welcome back. ;)

A girl showed up with a Samsung Focus in its box with all the cables. You can turn it on without SIM, but can't actually do anything. I was able to answer a couple question, but then got an error that I couldn't continue due to no SIM.

I paid for the phone, but talked her down. The phone had obviously been dropped once or twice. Minor scratches on the back, but it was enough for her to go down to $220.

I just happened to pass an AT&T store on my way home. I stopped by to see if I could get a SIM card from them. They gave me a free one and I got the thing turned on and all setup. The thing works great!!

I bought a bunch of games already. Pretty easy with the cheaper prices. Downloaded a bunch of trials as well. I've played Fruit Ninja and Flight Control and got a couple achievements in both. Nice!!

I will say that Apple may be on to something limiting the number of physical buttons. I hit the power and camera button once each while playing the games. Quick way to quit whatever game you're playing. I also hit the volume button about 5 times, which just puts something on screen. Just a distraction.

I spent some serious time playing games on my new WP7. Just totaled up how much money I spent on games I bought and it comes to $50!! Seems like a crazy amount to spend on $3-5 games, but I got a lot of them. Best thing is $50 still isn't the cost of a single $60 retail Xbox 360 game. :)

So glad the XBL games have the same trial they do on Xbox 360. I was playing stinker games and then I'd trash them. I think I still have 20 or more trial games to go through.

[quote name='seanr1221']
There are a few games you CAN'T get achievements in unless you re connected online. The only three we know of are Need for Speed, Women's Murder Club and Rocket Riot.[/QUOTE]

How about Fruit Ninja? I think there is an achievement for beating the game with a score of 99. I just did it and I didn't get the achievement unlocked thing. In the Fruit Ninja menu, I try to select "achievements" and it says I'm not connected to Xbox Live.

I just played Zen mode in Fruit Ninja for the first time. I met the requirements for at least 2 more achievements and the popup didn't happen. When I get home and connect to the internet, will these achievements then pop? I assume I have to go into the game and maybe even play a game.

Okay, maybe Fruit Ninja requires you to be online too? But seriously dude. Just edit your post instead of triple-posting.

[quote name='seanr1221']I earned almost all my fruit ninja achievements when I wasn't online.[/QUOTE]

OK, I just don't want to be playing away and not get credit for it. :)

Well, when I earned them I got an achievement notice on the top of the screen and i could check my achievements from the menu. So it sounds like you have a problem.

Can you see your avatar in the xbox live tile? What about in the main screen of the game hub?

[quote name='seanr1221']Well, when I earned them I got an achievement notice on the top of the screen and i could check my achievements from the menu. So it sounds like you have a problem.

Can you see your avatar in the xbox live tile? What about in the main screen of the game hub?[/QUOTE]

I can see my avatar in the Xbox Live tile.

In the Xbox Live app, I swipe over to the achievement tab. I get the error that I need to make sure airplane mode is off or I'm connected by WiFi. This was the error I got in the Fruit Ninja menu when I tapped achievements. I have airplane mode on and WiFi turned off. Since there are no WiFi hotspots around where I am.

Yeah, the avatar is in the Xbox Live tile. When I open the Xbox Live tile, the avatar is there and I see the last achievement earned. It is not for Fruit Ninja.

You definitely have a problem then. Which is odd, because like I said, mine works perfectly fine when not connected. Can you earn other achievements offline?

Maybe you can post here http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=279714

You could also go to settings -> applications -> games and make sure it's turned on.

Your problem has me interested, because there has to be a reason you're running into issues and I'm not.

I just tried playing the Carneyvale game for the first time. I was able to look at the achievements in the game's menu. After I beat the first level, an achievement unlocked and I got the notification.

Maybe Fruit Ninja got an update that removed not needing to be logged into XBL? If so, that stinks!! Oh well, I bought a bunch of games and I'll just play something else. :)

So, I came home, got all connected to WiFi and launched XBL Extras. The achievements I unlocked in non-Fruit Ninja games at work got all synced up. Verified this on xbox.com from my PC. No updates to Fruit Ninja however.

I just went into Fruit Ninja and blamo, I get like 3 or 4 achievement unlock notifications. So, looks like I did get the Fruit Ninja achievements, but I got no notification and they only synced after I went into the game from the phone. Very weird!!

I am loving my WP7 purchase. I'm really only using the Xbox Live games, but that part is great. It is so weird how achievements have wrecked me as far as gaming. I've played some games on my iPhone, but it is so great getting XBL achievements.

Has anyone played The Harvest? I played the trial last night and I guess I kinda liked it. At only $5, I'm thinking about just getting it. (or was it $7??) I'm also wondering about the NFS game. Not too impressed by the controls, but I've never even played a racing game on my iPhone. If a game is $3 and I even kinda like it, instant buy.

I'm now waiting for iOS 4.3 to be jailbroke so I can install MyWi on my iPhone. Then I can have internet access on my WP7 while at work and such. :)

Any updates on that, Rich?

EastX, I just watched your review for Castlevania at WPcentral, nice one. Maybe I can do a guest review sometime.

Any clues for the next DOTW? I'm hoping for The Harvest.

Well I hope the rumors are true that the HTC Trophy is coming to verizon by the end of this month. I'll definitely be in for one if that is the case. Anyone have any hands on time with it?

Also, just throwing this out there to those who might have transitioned from a Blackberry to a WP7. Is there any app/method for connecting a WP7 to blackberry enterprise server (BES) to sync up work email? Or possibly to just use WP7 to access your email via Outlook directly? We are running outlook 2007 with BES here at work and I'm trying to avoid having to hold onto the BB when I pick up a WP7.

[quote name='seanr1221']Any updates on that, Rich?

EastX, I just watched your review for Castlevania at WPcentral, nice one. Maybe I can do a guest review sometime.

Any clues for the next DOTW? I'm hoping for The Harvest.[/QUOTE]

I took out the battery and microSD card ,put them back in, and turned it back on and it was back to normal .

I doubt it. MS has publicly said they are not interested in supporting hardware anymore and just doing software. They've traditionally been a software company, and with WP7 they can do just that.

Ummm, Microsoft is almost certainly going to make a WP7 non-phone device (or have someone else make it). The Zune announcement is definitely a step in that direction.

bread's done
Back