Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings [Enhanced Edition], out now!

Yeah, that was a pretty darn positive review. I hate the idea that any score below 9.0 (or whatever) is an insult to a AAA game. As if any hyped game deserves a perfect score just for showing up.

To me if it's and 8 or higher chances are I will looking to it. I usually read the reviews to see if I want to check it out. I was already interest in the game and the fact that it got some good reviews, means I'll pick it up for sure.

the more I see the more I think I want this game. Sadly I can't swing another $60 day one purchase right now...

Ugh... I keep forgetting to drop $5 on a preorder for this sexy bitch. Might be time to actually start using my cell phone calender. I can't wait to get my hands on this game.

The Witcher series is more akin to Dragon Age than Mass Effect and not for the obvious fantasy vs. sci-fi reasons but rather because Mass Effect's story beats are typically done in stark black and white. The Witcher games are almost entirely shades of grey.

But all of the games are very much point-to-point node affairs. Part of me thinks that CD Projekt RED masks that a bit better than BioWare but I've also been peeking behind the BioWare node curtain since at least NWN so perhaps that isn't fair to say. (basically it's all about the illusion of freedom and non-linearity)

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']The Witcher series is more akin to Dragon Age than Mass Effect and not for the obvious fantasy vs. sci-fi reasons but rather because Mass Effect's story beats are typically done in stark black and white. The Witcher games are almost entirely shades of grey.

But all of the games are very much point-to-point node affairs. Part of me thinks that CD Projekt RED masks that a bit better than BioWare but I've also been peeking behind the BioWare node curtain since at least NWN so perhaps that isn't fair to say. (basically it's all about the illusion of freedom and non-linearity)[/QUOTE]

Outside of searching for war asset quests, ME3 is about as linear as it gets.

Anyword on if there will be a demo for Witcher 2? I just want to try the combat since I don't think I can do another buttonmashing Fable type game right now.

Large font option!?

Holy shit is that f*cking awesome. You'd think at this point it would be mandatory for all games especially RPGs. I live off subtitles, codex entries and item/weapon descriptions. If the text is a royal pain in the ass to read I usually give up and just wing it or rarely loot at all.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah, I understood pretty much none of that. :lol: I need a recap video for the recap video.[/QUOTE]

The Last Wish - seven bucks at Amazon, and an excellent book. Or you could read The Witcher Wiki, I guess.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Large font option!?

Holy shit is that f*cking awesome. You'd think at this point it would be mandatory for all games especially RPGs. I live off subtitles, codex entries and item/weapon descriptions. If the text is a royal pain in the ass to read I usually give up and just wing it or rarely loot at all.[/QUOTE]

Besides just wanting text to be legible, I always think of the people who just use the default composite cables since those are what the 360 and PS3 ship with. (maybe even on a SD set at that)

I got my copy paid off, I was not able to get the dark edition but hopefully someone will cancel and I'll be able to get it then.

I was one of the 1k non-professional gaming enthusiasts selected to review the game! My copy from CD Projekt is coming soon! I will post a written review on my CAG Blog, newbreview.com, and taipow.com/blog and will talk about the game on my two podcasts, Checkmate Arcade and POWCast.

Ugh! I'm still so into ME3 that I have no good reason to buy this game now. With AC Revelations still unfinished and a couple XBLA games coming out in May (oh yeah, and spending time with family, getting sleep, work, etc.).......I really shouldn't buy this but I'll be damned if I've seen one lukewarm review. Everything I've read and seen about this game is glowing. I'm probably going to be making an irresponsible decision on Tuesday. :whistle2:$

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Ugh! I'm still so into ME3 that I have no good reason to buy this game now. With AC Revelations still unfinished and a couple XBLA games coming out in May (oh yeah, and spending time with family, getting sleep, work, etc.).......I really shouldn't buy this but I'll be damned if I've seen one lukewarm review. Everything I've read and seen about this game is glowing. I'm probably going to be making an irresponsible decision on Tuesday. :whistle2:$[/QUOTE]
Same problem... I don't want to rush through ME3. But don't want to buy this till I am done.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I was one of the 1k non-professional gaming enthusiasts selected to review the game! My copy from CD Projekt is coming soon! I will post a written review on my CAG Blog, newbreview.com, and taipow.com/blog and will talk about the game on my two podcasts, Checkmate Arcade and POWCast.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations, man. I got picked too! I actually do review games for a living, but don't tell anybody. Hope our copies arrive by Tuesday...

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Ugh! I'm still so into ME3 that I have no good reason to buy this game now. With AC Revelations still unfinished and a couple XBLA games coming out in May (oh yeah, and spending time with family, getting sleep, work, etc.).......I really shouldn't buy this but I'll be damned if I've seen one lukewarm review. Everything I've read and seen about this game is glowing. I'm probably going to be making an irresponsible decision on Tuesday. :whistle2:$[/QUOTE]

Given that all of the major retail stores, plus online retailers, are carrying this; shouldn't be an issue to find it later unlike some JRPG's like Tales/WKC.

Someone stop me from making a stupid purchase. I'm so tempted to buy this for Xbox 360, and I really shouldn't be.

I already own Witcher 2 for PC. I bought it a year ago for 50 bucks, and it is still brand new and sealed in the wrapper. The plan was to play and beat The Witcher first, but I only managed to get 60 minutes into the campaign, and I lost interest. Doesn't help that it runs a bit sluggish. My PC is 5 years old now, and I don't even know if Witcher 2 will run good. It was a stupid purchase. I just can't get into PC gaming anymore.

I'm really tempted to say screw it, buy it for 360 and not have to mess with PC crap anymore. I tried to convince myself that the PC version was a useful buy because it has a game guide inside, but apparently, you get the same game guide with 360. lol

I'm just so hungry for a AAA game right now. THis year has been really disappointing so far with the releases.

[quote name='kingkiller33']Someone stop me from making a stupid purchase. I'm so tempted to buy this for Xbox 360, and I really shouldn't be.

I already own Witcher 2 for PC. I bought it a year ago for 50 bucks, and it is still brand new and sealed in the wrapper. The plan was to play and beat The Witcher first, but I only managed to get 60 minutes into the campaign, and I lost interest. Doesn't help that it runs a bit sluggish. My PC is 5 years old now, and I don't even know if Witcher 2 will run good. It was a stupid purchase. I just can't get into PC gaming anymore.

I'm really tempted to say screw it, buy it for 360 and not have to mess with PC crap anymore. I tried to convince myself that the PC version was a useful buy because it has a game guide inside, but apparently, you get the same game guide with 360. lol

I'm just so hungry for a AAA game right now. THis year has been really disappointing so far with the releases.[/QUOTE]

Your current PC will struggle with the Witcher 2 so I'd say sell off your PC copy and put that money towards the 360 version.

[quote name='eastx']Congratulations, man. I got picked too! I actually do review games for a living, but don't tell anybody. Hope our copies arrive by Tuesday...[/QUOTE]

My copy came today, from reading the Witcher site, all the copies were shipped on Friday as mine also was. A curious thing to note it's just a retail case (no UPC obviously) with 2 game disks; no soundtrack, instruction manual, or quest book. There's a letter from the CEO in the package asking everyone to review it as promised and gives an FTP site where you can get some assets to add to the review.

I did buy the strat guide so I'll have that to help me along.

[quote name='Doomtime']Your current PC will struggle with the Witcher 2 so I'd say sell off your PC copy and put that money towards the 360 version.[/QUOTE]

Also anyone who register's the PC copy can get all the extra enhanced edition stuff as a free 10GB patch and also gets a DRM free copy on gog.com so that could help you sell it.

Witcher 2 is up there with Skyrim and BF 3 as the most graphically demanding games on PC.

[quote name='MSUHitman']My copy came today, from reading the Witcher site, all the copies were shipped on Friday as mine also was. A curious thing to note it's just a retail case (no UPC obviously) with 2 game disks; no soundtrack, instruction manual, or quest book. There's a letter from the CEO in the package asking everyone to review it as promised and gives an FTP site where you can get some assets to add to the review.

I did buy the strat guide so I'll have that to help me along.[/QUOTE]

Argh! No soundtrack or book? That is weak. Thanks for the details though - guess mine should arrive on Tuesday.

I entered into a contest for this game so I hope I win it because it looks like one of the games to play this year, related to it already having so much acclaim on the PC side.

Don't know if anyone else has read the books, but the English version of the 2nd novel in the series, Times of Contempt, is finally coming out in December! That is way too far off and not at all well-timed with the game's release, but at least they've stopped delaying it. Preordered the hardcopy at Amazon UK (the US release will likely be sometime in 2013).

[quote name='MSUHitman']Also anyone who register's the PC copy can get all the extra enhanced edition stuff as a free 10GB patch and also gets a DRM free copy on gog.com so that could help you sell it.

Witcher 2 is up there with Skyrim and BF 3 as the most graphically demanding games on PC.[/QUOTE]

I would be lucky to get $30 bucks for it, even sealed. Just hard for me to do when I'm essentially throwing my $$ away. I'll never build my own PC again. I constantly kept pouring money into upgrades, and it never could stay ahead of the game. Even struggled with end game Civ 4 which is pretty sad.

picked it up this morning at target, can't wait to get home and give it an hour or so before going to see Buckethead

just got home and newegg came through good for me my witcher 2 was sitting there waiting. now i need to install, get some pizza, beer and spend the night playing.

[quote name='sublime90']just got home and newegg came through good for me my witcher 2 was sitting there waiting. now i need to install, get some pizza, beer and spend the night playing.[/QUOTE]
What shipping option did you get?

ETA: Just checked my order, looks like mine's on track to be delivered this evening too, despite only getting the free 3 day shipping. Bitchin'.

i pre ordered and think i used the default 3 day so its nice to see they match amazons street day delivery

I picked it up from the video store tonight. I can't justify buying anything else right now as I have like 8 games I haven't played much of yet.

[quote name='eastx']Congratulations, man. I got picked too! I actually do review games for a living, but don't tell anybody. Hope our copies arrive by Tuesday...[/QUOTE]

Sarcasm?

I've seen you post links to your reviews here often.

I rented it and am enjoying it so far. Didn't know much about the game so wasn't expecting one of the early scenes but oh well. Glad the kids were at school. I like the combat.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Sarcasm?

I've seen you post links to your reviews here often.[/QUOTE]

Assuming that the review program is supposed to exclude professionals, it would've been a mistake to accept me. But I told 'em who I write for, so it probably wasn't a mistake.

Just finished the prologue so im not far into at all but im liking it so far. The combat was kind of weird at first but i've got the hang of it and like it now. Im sure it'll be even better once I level up and get some new abilities.

Time to shelve Mass Effect and get into some real RPG goodness. Started to get bored of the online, anyway (almost N7 lvl 300).

bread's done
Back