Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings [Enhanced Edition], out now!

Really good in-depth guide that covers everything. A small behind the scenes section at the end with CD Projekt and that's about it. Not one with bunches of extra artwork or anything like that.

Prima did a good job with it, but I wish Future Press had gotten this one so we could of had an awesome hardback guide for a decent price ala their recent Soul Calibur or Kingdoms of Amalur guides (which retailed for $25/$27 MSRP.) Prima likes to set the MSRP on their hardback guides (ME 3, etc.) at $40. The Witcher 2 paperback guide has a $25 MSRP.

[quote name='Halo05']Holy crap @ the part in Flotsam where
you have to clear that elf's name by going into the cave with all the nekkers. I really started to appreciate the appeal of bombs, potions, and to a lesser degree, magic.
[/QUOTE]

i just did that mission and a few of the enemies just stood there motionless while i slashed and killed them lol but that was hectic. you will die if you dont use potions bombs and magic. im enjoying the game a lot and i cant help but to do all the side missions first.

Game is great though a bit difficult till I got the ability to counter attack enemies. Makes things a bit easier now considering the tough times I was having. This game is pretty difficult on normal (at least for me, only in the first chapter) but not Dark Souls difficult. This game is what Fable should have strived for.

My only complaint is I get easily lost, even with the map. Other then that this is definitively a AAA game or near it.

[quote name='js1']The guide is handy, it is decent in depth. Not that great of a looker and not too much way in the extras.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's good for what it is.

This game was incredible. Going to do a Dark mode playthrough and clean up the achievements during the summer. I agree that it could use some optimization in the menu selection and little things like being able to pick things up easier while running. But a lot is lost during "optimization" (see Skyrim) that makes this game unique. My only real gripe is how the story unraveled a bit toward the end--very unexpected compared to the excellent plot that it followed. Wish the ending wasn't so abrupt and the final battles so lame.

I just don't get it at all. Given the names of the nerd points, I'm probably within an hour of ending chapter 1. Through all this time, I just haven't gotten hooked in at all. I don't see what I'm missing that everyone else raves about...

[quote name='MSUHitman']Really good in-depth guide that covers everything. A small behind the scenes section at the end with CD Projekt and that's about it. Not one with bunches of extra artwork or anything like that.

Prima did a good job with it, but I wish Future Press had gotten this one so we could of had an awesome hardback guide for a decent price ala their recent Soul Calibur or Kingdoms of Amalur guides (which retailed for $25/$27 MSRP.) Prima likes to set the MSRP on their hardback guides (ME 3, etc.) at $40. The Witcher 2 paperback guide has a $25 MSRP.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. Thanks for the great comparisons! I love FuturePress myself (have the SCV, Portal 2, and Deus Ex ones at home.) I might have to see if they have an open copy of Witcher's at my Gamestop to leaf through.

I bought this game on the PC when it came out and couldn't get into to it. I found it to be hard and frustrating. This is coming from a person who played all of the LAst Remnant and Demon Souls. I bought the 360 version and am really enjoying it. I'm not using a guide, just trial and error. It feels like a very mature themed game, almost Game of Thrones like. I put ff13-2, xenoblade saga and Tales of Graces on the backburner for Witcher. But hot damn, Diablo 3 in a week! This has been a great year for RPG's

[quote name='nasum']I just don't get it at all. Given the names of the nerd points, I'm probably within an hour of ending chapter 1. Through all this time, I just haven't gotten hooked in at all. I don't see what I'm missing that everyone else raves about...[/QUOTE]

Noticed you have not been playing it lately. Still plan to pick it up. But need a sale.

[quote name='tukai']I bought this game on the PC when it came out and couldn't get into to it. I found it to be hard and frustrating. This is coming from a person who played all of the LAst Remnant and Demon Souls. I bought the 360 version and am really enjoying it. I'm not using a guide, just trial and error. It feels like a very mature themed game, almost Game of Thrones like. I put ff13-2, xenoblade saga and Tales of Graces on the backburner for Witcher. But hot damn, Diablo 3 in a week! This has been a great year for RPG's[/QUOTE]

No way is it in the same difficulty league as Demon Souls. You just need to learn how the combat works. Roll a lot to avoid attacks. use traps and bombs if you need to. Play on easy if you like.

I love how you can walk into any random house and just loot the place. The folks don't care that you steal all their orens, leather, twine and herbs.

And the dwarf in the bookstore in Flotsam doesn't even mind that you steal his books and sell them back to him.:D

I was really enjoying this game quite a bit until I ran across an awful game-breaking bug. Hopefully this can serve as a warning to others or maybe someone actually knows the solution? I'll preface it by saying I like to just keep my save list tidy and just use one non-autosave when I'm at a place I feel comfortable in the game. I've done this with Mass Effect, Skyrim, and Dragon Age and never regretted it. That being said space out your saves with this game and save old ones in case something like this happens to you!

I was nearing the end of chapter 1 and was returning back to Flotsam after the elven ruins. I was tired and didn't remember the process for sheathing your weapon so I had some guards attack me in town. I took care of them and was then approached about paying a fine for it. I didn't want trouble in town so I just paid it.

It happened again to me with the darn guards so I just ran to the inn to continue the quest. A few scenes later and I'm having to leave the town to follow the quest and I CANNOT DO IT! Every time a approach an exit I get the "kill the bastard" cutscene and I'm dead. I have tried every possible escape route and trick I can think of but it intercepts me every time. I literally cannot continue the game.

All the autosaves took place after the guards attacked me and I only had one manual save after it. I Googled it and apparently this is a bug that is left over from the PC version that was never fixed. No one knew a solution other than to start the whole game over. I just don't have the patience to play another 10 hours of things I just did thanks to a glitch. Fortunately, it was a rental so back it went to Gamefly.

This just seems like such a shame that something like this was allowed to happen and ruined my experience. I can't remember something similar ever happening to me in another game.

I guess the lesson for others is to keep lots of saves, sheath your weapon in towns, or find a way to pay the fine before you continue quests. What a dumb thing to have happen to an otherwise fun RPG.

That sucks. But I usually have a million saves with every RPG, then delete the saves once the game is finished by keeping a select few.

I will say this game is awesome. The graphics, combat, story, and raw sex scenes are fantastic.

I guess my real problems with it are 1) I can't keep up with the story, maybe It's because of It's setting or just too much is thrown at me. I am aware of the whole kingslayer thing but so many names are thrown at me I get lost easily. 2) Can't fast travel. I hate how I have to walk absolutely everywhere and I have a feeling the game length would be cut down quite a bit if I could just fast travel.

Other then that a top notch game. While I don't think It will be GOTY it definitely deserves the 9's it has gotten.

[quote name='gubmccargen']I was really enjoying this game quite a bit until I ran across an awful game-breaking bug. Hopefully this can serve as a warning to others or maybe someone actually knows the solution? I'll preface it by saying I like to just keep my save list tidy and just use one non-autosave when I'm at a place I feel comfortable in the game. I've done this with Mass Effect, Skyrim, and Dragon Age and never regretted it. That being said space out your saves with this game and save old ones in case something like this happens to you!

I was nearing the end of chapter 1 and was returning back to Flotsam after the elven ruins. I was tired and didn't remember the process for sheathing your weapon so I had some guards attack me in town. I took care of them and was then approached about paying a fine for it. I didn't want trouble in town so I just paid it.

It happened again to me with the darn guards so I just ran to the inn to continue the quest. A few scenes later and I'm having to leave the town to follow the quest and I CANNOT DO IT! Every time a approach an exit I get the "kill the bastard" cutscene and I'm dead. I have tried every possible escape route and trick I can think of but it intercepts me every time. I literally cannot continue the game.

All the autosaves took place after the guards attacked me and I only had one manual save after it. I Googled it and apparently this is a bug that is left over from the PC version that was never fixed. No one knew a solution other than to start the whole game over. I just don't have the patience to play another 10 hours of things I just did thanks to a glitch. Fortunately, it was a rental so back it went to Gamefly.

This just seems like such a shame that something like this was allowed to happen and ruined my experience. I can't remember something similar ever happening to me in another game.

I guess the lesson for others is to keep lots of saves, sheath your weapon in towns, or find a way to pay the fine before you continue quests. What a dumb thing to have happen to an otherwise fun RPG.[/QUOTE]

That sucks man. I usually keep at least two saves to prevent this very thing.

Thanks, yeah, it did suck and I was pretty frustrated. The game only has 3 chapter I think and I was doing all side quests so I was about 10 hours in I believe. Maybe someday it will be fresh enough to restart or they will fix it.

Monsta, totally agree with your two points. I really don't know what it was really about besides the kingslayer stuff. The lack of fast travel is a pain, especially with a map that is less than ideal.

Infamy, love your sig. Our girl is just turning one. :) I guess it is pretty dumb of me to usually just keep one save but I've been okay for a bunch of other RPGs. I guess it was bound to come back to haunt me someday.

Matrix, I wouldn't say it is enough to not get the game so long as you are aware of this issue. Keep lots of saves, be prepared to do the awkward sheathing of your weapon in towns, and make sure to try to pay the fine before advancing on quests. It's still unacceptable but at least you can avoid it of you know about it beforehand. Sadly, I did not.

Do the potions and oils (sword enhancements) work all that much? Sucks that you have to meditate to use the potions, and risk getting attacked while you're meditating. I haven't been using anything other than bombs and melee, with the occasional spell mixed in.

[quote name='shieryda']Do the potions and oils (sword enhancements) work all that much? Sucks that you have to meditate to use the potions, and risk getting attacked while you're meditating. I haven't been using anything other than bombs and melee, with the occasional spell mixed in.[/QUOTE]

oh yeah. I am always using the oils and some potions at the minimum use the ones that cause sword damage and the potions that boost stats with out negative effects.

UPPPPPP!!!!
So i got this game a few days ago for 30 bucks from Amazon (well 20 after my 10 dollar credit) and I'm really liking it, I'm on chapter 2 and having a ball. This is the first non Bioware RPG I've played in awhile.
The Combat is fun but if you get mobbed it's game over
I kind of want to play through it again and see what the other choices do but I doubt I will given my time constraints
Great purchase for the price, I'm now officially a member of the CD Projekt fan club

Can anyone help me with the place of Power Quest?

Edit: Act 2 Iorvath's path
so I have the place on my map but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get there.
I tried to get there from the other side of the mist and I can't. So I went online and saw some videos but they all START from when you're by some lake.
I once made it to a lake where some Random Elves and Dwarves tried to kill me and I think it's around that same place but I have NO idea how I got there. I just end up going around in circles and circles and circles.
The maps in this town is useless
Edit 2: nevermind lol

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back