Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings [Enhanced Edition], out now!

Damn Wal-mart and their ridiculous shipping times. Oh well, I still want to finish up ME1 (again), get through ME2 (again), and play ME3 (for the first time) before I dive into another RPG.

[quote name='kingkiller33']I would be lucky to get $30 bucks for it, even sealed. Just hard for me to do when I'm essentially throwing my $$ away. I'll never build my own PC again. I constantly kept pouring money into upgrades, and it never could stay ahead of the game. Even struggled with end game Civ 4 which is pretty sad.[/QUOTE]

You REALLY should just sell your PC if it's that bad, and focus on console gaming or build a new one. Even my $200 netbook can run Civ 4 smoothly.

I'm liking the game so far BUT the controls feel a little loose, like Geralt is skating around. He always seems to end up a few steps past where I wanted him, and facing the wrong way. :lol: Hopefully it just takes some getting used to.

A review I read cautioned about the controls. They said that its because of the detailed animations.....not floaty movement. Haven't played it yet so I can't comment.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I'm liking the game so far BUT the controls feel a little loose, like Geralt is skating around. He always seems to end up a few steps past where I wanted him, and facing the wrong way. :lol: Hopefully it just takes some getting used to.[/QUOTE]

100% agree. Happens to me a TON when the search button pops up so you can pick up items. I see the search and seem to float on past it and have to look around for it again.

is it just me or is the combat a pain in the balls? i think i have to unlock the ability to parry? or im just aweful at it it seems like everytime i hold the block button it just sends him stumbling back instead doing a sick counter attack.

[quote name='MrPiggles']You REALLY should just sell your PC if it's that bad, and focus on console gaming or build a new one. Even my $200 netbook can run Civ 4 smoothly.[/QUOTE]

Really, it's definitely time for a new PC. I've had two BSOD this year and had to reinstall Windows twice. At least Bioshock ran great on it. One of the few successes.

[quote name='sublime90']is it just me or is the combat a pain in the balls? i think i have to unlock the ability to parry? or im just aweful at it it seems like everytime i hold the block button it just sends him stumbling back instead doing a sick counter attack.[/QUOTE]

There's two seperate abilities, parry and riposte that you have to spend a talent point on each to learn. Parry is in the basic witcher tree, while riposte is in the swordsmanship tree.

Parry allows you to knock back attackers that you block. When you learn the deflect arrows skill in the basic Witcher tree it's for that also. Riposte allows you to counter an incoming sword attack if you're holding both triggers down to focus your parry on that enemy (it's the icon changing color thing from the tutorial.)

You're locked to the basic witcher tree until level 7 or 8 (you have to spend at least 1 point on each item in the basic Witcher tree) so you'll be at least 1/2 through Chapter 1 before you can learn Riposte.

alright i see. i just need to keep in mind that in this game you need to use everything you have. i need to make potions, use magic and bombs/traps way more. its kind of refreshing and shows how most modern RPG's are made way easier.

What I have noticed about the floaty controls is that he goes into a run WAY to easily which causes me to run right by where I want to stop and have to flip around.

Yeah, exactly. The walking speed feels right, but the running speed is too fast and you barely need to move the stick before he changes from walking to running. I wish there was a sensitivity setting, or just more of a spectrum between regular walking and light-speed run.

While I like the game, the camera and controls are really starting to bug me. Everything seems to jerky. Nothing seems smooth about it. As stated above. I barely move the movement stick or the camera stick and it seems that everything just flys around.

My biggest pet peeve at the moment is the quest marker. Unless i'm just looking at it wrong, it doesn't give you any real sense of depth with multi-level areas, especially once you get to the town in the 2nd chapter that has about 10 different paths to get you to different areas. What I'm experiencing most in this town is that when I am standing facing north, on the mini-map will show the quest indicator being south of me, but when I pull up the full map, it says its to the north of me.

I think I need to take a break, im getting aggrivated trying to figure out which side tunnel im supposed to go find in order to get to an area thats directly in front of me but separated by a bit of mountain.

holy hot mess.

Clunky combat, all kinds of audio errors, locking up in various sections, etc...

I know there's a good game in there somewhere struggling to come out, but it really needs some help. It's a nice effort but it doesn't live up to the hype at all.

[quote name='nasum']holy hot mess.

Clunky combat, all kinds of audio errors, locking up in various sections, etc...

I know there's a good game in there somewhere struggling to come out, but it really needs some help. It's a nice effort but it doesn't live up to the hype at all.[/QUOTE]

Just curious as I'm reviewing it but did you install it to the HDD? I did and am having none of those sound/freezing issues (on slim 360.)

installed indeed. during the tutorial, the first time I talked to the dude on the ground the screen went black. After that, I kept getting really strange audio cues which is still happening. I checked to make sure I had the game set to 5.1 and the receiver as the same and that's not the problem.

The 1st scene in the dungeon, the dice sounded like trains and the guys were whispering. It's insane. I eventually went into the sound menu and dropped the music to about 25%, the SFX to about 40% and leave the speech all the way up. With all that, I still crank my stereo to 2x as loud as any other game to hear the people talking correctly. I've figured that Gears 3 is set at 15, BF3 is 17 and most others are in that range depending on how loud I want it. Witcher is set at 28... Maybe something got weird in my install, maybe I've got bad discs (unlikely), maybe my Resident Evil Red 360 is ready to die but in any event this game is just really weird in the sound dept.

I have none of those issues but don't have surround sound. Default sound settings on either TV or TB X31's sound great.

Can anyone else help with impressions?

[quote name='MSUHitman']I have none of those issues but don't have surround sound. Default sound settings on either TV or TB X31's sound great.

Can anyone else help with impressions?[/QUOTE]

I tried it on all 3 of my Xbox 360s and I don't have those issues, as well. Reach edition, Gears 3 edition and an old white phatty, if it makes a difference. I wonder of it's his Xbox?

Yeah makes me think that also, just needed some more examples as CAG is the only general gaming forum I have access to not named GameFAQ's (which I only go for guides as their forums are crap.)

[quote name='Spybreak8']Nice, I won my free copy after all from the contest I signed up with so I'll hopefully be playing in a few weeks time. :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Woo hoo! Nice!

Hey... so my silver sword is gone from the prologue and I need to get a new one but I am lacking the silver ore (0/2) to have the dwarves craft me a new one in Flotsam. Anyone know where I can find some? If I bought the silver ore it would near bankrupt me. I am willing but thought someone may know where some is.

[quote name='nasum']holy hot mess.

I know there's a good game in there somewhere struggling to come out, but it really needs some help. It's a nice effort but it doesn't live up to the hype at all.[/QUOTE]

I've had some audio and issues mainly just some weird popping sounds occasionally and only on the cinemas. I had to tweak the audio settings some, turn down the music because I find it tends to overpower the dialog. I'm listening to the game with an Astro wireless mixamp and Audio Technica AD700's.

Other then that the game is impressive. It is kinda overwhelming trying to learn the game. I have to get better at the combat.

Neat, my Dark Edition arrived today. It might be the biggest US special edition game that I own.

I just wish I wasn't knee-deep in the ME trilogy. First world problems.

[quote name='faceturd']Hey... so my silver sword is gone from the prologue and I need to get a new one but I am lacking the silver ore (0/2) to have the dwarves craft me a new one in Flotsam. Anyone know where I can find some? If I bought the silver ore it would near bankrupt me. I am willing but thought someone may know where some is.[/QUOTE]

Try finishing the fist fight, poker, and arm wrestling side quests to get a bunch of money. You can also buy the 3rd best (and 2nd best that can be bought or forged) silver sword in Chapter 1 from the mysterious merchant in the docks area (next to the guy you have to talk to in order to setup how much money you get for killing the
Kayran
) for 267 orens. It's cheaper to have that sword crafted though if you have the plans, even with buying the ore if I remember correctly.

You don't really get many silver ores in Chapter 1 w/o going to monster areas, and even then I only got a couple. You'll have to buy most of them. If you do all the side quests, you'll have plenty of orens. I ran out of money to craft the best armor for Chapter 1, and that was only b/c I didn't find enough crafting items for it and the other best gear w/o having to buy the crafts.

Also those wanting to get all of the achievements need to setup two hard save points in Chapter 1:
right before resolving Troll Trouble and right before undertaking Rose of Remembrance. There's an achievement for killing or saving all 3 trolls in the game so you'll want a hard save point here (kill them if you side with Roche or save them if you side with Iloreth.)

With Rose of Remembrance ALWAYS take Triss with you, even if you plan not to sex her up (you get a really good magic resistance perk if you resist her here but she'll feel rejected the rest of the game.) Right after the Rose quest the quests sort of line up leading to the point of no return when you side with Roche or Illoreth. Where you go in Chapter 2 and beyond, in addition to the quest lines, are COMPLETELY different depending on who you side with. This also sends you down one set of 4 endings depending on whom you side with (yes there's 8 endings total.) Forks in later chapters further determine which of the endings you get.

[quote name='js1']I've had some audio and issues mainly just some weird popping sounds occasionally and only on the cinemas. I had to tweak the audio settings some, turn down the music because I find it tends to overpower the dialog. I'm listening to the game with an Astro wireless mixamp and Audio Technica AD700's.

Other then that the game is impressive. It is kinda overwhelming trying to learn the game. I have to get better at the combat.[/QUOTE]

I'm still not hearing these audio issues, huh.

Amazon finally shipped my DE, should get here tomorrow.

Going with my mom to the hospital, crossing my fingers that they bring it late.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Try finishing the fist fight, poker, and arm wrestling side quests to get a bunch of money. You can also buy the 3rd best (and 2nd best that can be bought or forged) silver sword in Chapter 1 from the mysterious merchant in the docks area (next to the guy you have to talk to in order to setup how much money you get for killing the
Kayran
) for 267 orens. [/QUOTE]

Ahh... great. Thanx. I think I talked to some guy near there that was really cagey but not sure if I found a merchant. I'll look around to see if I can find him because I thought the ore was around 240 orens per piece. Right now I am at ~500 orens so that should be enough but like I said, would bankrupt. It's just hard to go wandering without a monster killing silver sword so I don't want to venture far.

Another brief question: Is junk really junk? Should it just be sold ASAP?

Yes junk is really junk, sell immediately.

The mysterious merchant is sitting right next to a town entrance on the far side of the docks past all the boats. He's under an awning next to a bunch of wood.

Really enjoying the game so far.

Question;
I'm on the boat in act 1
just broke out of prison
and overencumbered, are there any towns or storage boxes coming up shortly?

Would really hate to drop everything.

Found out early on that when you reload or enter/exit a room there is a chance that containers will restock themselves.
Have like 350lbs worth of crafting materials and 1k Orens.
:lol:

edit, Nevermind, walked a few hundred feet and found the town with shops and storage.

Last edited by a moderator:
With your help (MSU), I figured out a bit about how to get a good silver sword when in Flotsam:

1. The mysterious merchant by the docks will sell a Robust Witcher's Silver Sword for 760 Orens.

2. During the Indecent Proposal quest... while sneaking around Loredo's Residence for the Kayran Trap with Roche's help there is the diagram for Robust Witcher's Silver Sword and some Iron Ore, Leather, and Timber. Then go to the dwarf in town and but 2 silver ores for 550 orens and craft the Robust Witcher's Silver Sword. Saves you a bit of money.

And a brief question about the Indecent Proposal Quest:

I snuck around to find the Kayran Trap but never found anything...? I did sneak to the window and eavesdrop but I never found a box with anything in it. Did I miss it?

All you find during the quest is the unique part needed to craft it. I'm not at home now so I forget where or when you get the crafting diagram for the trap.

It's worth it b/c if you use it properly during the fight, it's a 30 pt achievement.

Sorry if I got the costs wrong, I was trying to get it from the guide.

No problem, your guidance led me to keep an eye out and check out the merchant that I missed. The game is still somewhat foreign to me and I am learning how to understand value... it's taking a while but the sword was a good objective to learn a bit about the economy.

I hope I picked up the special part, I think I just picked up everything. I'll check my inventory.

The trap fragment for the
Kayran
quest is an "Iron Frame".

Had the piece in my inventory for at least 10 minutes while I searched all over the place.
The quest log never updated to show that I already found it until after eavesdropping on the conversation.

On the bright side I am now loaded to the gills will crafting materials from all the area loading by going through the doors.

Awesome. Yeah, the quest progression is a bit vague most of the time. I've been sent on a few "searching" quests lately that literally mean, search everywhere until you find it. Takes a lot of walking around.

Now that I've gotten the combat down better and learned how to play the dice game ,this game is even more addicting!

Still a mess even after a few quests in Chapter 1.

If it weren't for the fantastic graphics and Triss' naughty bits, I doubt the reviews would be so glowing. Seriously, did they play the same game I'm playing. The two stealth sections I've played so far weren't even stealth as there was no option to get through without a fight.
The audio seems to have cleaned up a bit, but I still have issues with Geralt not being center channel and a few odd noises here and there. Maybe it's a programming decision, but the main character should always be up front and center despite not being in the middle of the picture. Just bad immersion choices I guess.

It's an ok game, but a huge dissapointment compared to the hype.

[quote name='nasum']Still a mess even after a few quests in Chapter 1.

If it weren't for the fantastic graphics and Triss' naughty bits, I doubt the reviews would be so glowing. Seriously, did they play the same game I'm playing. The two stealth sections I've played so far weren't even stealth as there was no option to get through without a fight.
The audio seems to have cleaned up a bit, but I still have issues with Geralt not being center channel and a few odd noises here and there. Maybe it's a programming decision, but the main character should always be up front and center despite not being in the middle of the picture. Just bad immersion choices I guess.

It's an ok game, but a huge dissapointment compared to the hype.[/QUOTE]

You have to tweek the audio settings. I set the the music to like 3, the sound effect to high 7 and dialog to high 8 and that seem to work from me when wearing headphones. I beat one of the stealth parts knocked out the guards and did not have to fight.

I think the game is fun and to me right now it's the inventory part that bothers me but it is manageable with stops at the inn.

stealth is getting through undetected without leaving a trail. Leaving a dozen dead bodies in my wake is not stealth. There's a different word for that.

I did tweak the audio. Music is about 25%, SFX maybe 40-50% and speech is all the way up. It's still sloppy.

[quote name='nasum']stealth is getting through undetected without leaving a trail. Leaving a dozen dead bodies in my wake is not stealth. There's a different word for that.

I did tweak the audio. Music is about 25%, SFX maybe 40-50% and speech is all the way up. It's still sloppy.[/QUOTE]

They're not dead, just knocked unconscious. Been able to do 2 of the 3 stealth scenes fine, with the final one I did 1/2 stealth but then in the 2nd half I just killed the final guards (especially since there was no achievement tied to stealth on that one.)

I've just not had any of the audio issues you've had other than the music being over the conversations at times and sometimes an NPC's banter continues to be heard even after you enter the building away from where they were.

Holy crap @ the part in Flotsam where
you have to clear that elf's name by going into the cave with all the nekkers. I really started to appreciate the appeal of bombs, potions, and to a lesser degree, magic.

The game is good, bordering on great but it lacks a certain polish (haha!) that most big-time releases have. No regrets about springing for the Dark Edition. At the end of the day, I guess the question has to be, do I want to keep playing the game and do I think about playing it when I'm not able to? The answer to both of those is 'yes' so in my book, it's a good game.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I've just not had any of the audio issues you've had other than the music being over the conversations at times and sometimes an NPC's banter continues to be heard even after you enter the building away from where they were.[/QUOTE]

I have had issues like that, some of it is annoying(especially on the one mission involving ghosts in the hospital) but I wouldn't call those audio issues/glitches. I would say the pop sound when the game starts up and on some cut scenes for me is an audio issue.

My issue is really with the walking/running there is no in between it's only walk or full on sprint. That can make it a bit easier to miss items.

[quote name='Halo05']Holy crap @ the part in Flotsam where
you have to clear that elf's name by going into the cave with all the nekkers. I really started to appreciate the appeal of bombs, potions, and to a lesser degree, magic.

The game is good, bordering on great but it lacks a certain polish (haha!) that most big-time releases have. No regrets about springing for the Dark Edition. At the end of the day, I guess the question has to be, do I want to keep playing the game and do I think about playing it when I'm not able to? The answer to both of those is 'yes' so in my book, it's a good game.[/QUOTE]

I pretty much feel the same, the game is really good, could be great but it's a AAA release and still IMO better storyline wise than most games and RPG's. The back in forth between the menus should be pared down or cleaned up, same goes for the inventory system. That will probably be for the 3rd game.

Im really enjoying the games. Its a fun time with the magic and fighting.
More fulfilling than Skyrims combat.

A few small gripes. The QTE fights are so annoying. The 2 button mash is hell but it gets better when they get to one.
No potions in fights.
And so missions you find yourself aimlessy wandering around until you find what you want, At times its cool but at times its arghhhhhh.

But I love it.

Ran into a weird glitch while reloading one of my saves near the end to pursue a different ending. After a cutscene, it randomly threw me into a fist fight with a npc that I didn't recognize, and the fight ended before I could react to the first QTE prompt. Then it placed me where I should have been normally after the cutscene, but I could not move at all, pause the game or meditate. Had to Xbox button to home and reload, butloading that quicksave after the cutscene still placed me in the frozen state, where I could only exit to the Xbox home screen or shut off my Xbox

Wasn't a huge deal, considering the second auto-save didn't trigger the glitch, but it was the second time I got stuck after a cutscene without being able to do anything.

Loving this game. Just started my second playthrough and finished Act I. Pretty much ran through my first save only using my sword, and I now realize I made combat a lot harder by ignoring bombs and traps. A line of traps made minced meat out of several encounters I had trouble with my first time through. Find myself saying 'what the fuck how was that fair?' a lot less this time as well.

Probably going to play the first game again after this playthrough.

I'm enjoying this game a lot, though there are some issues that should've been fixed before launch. The active quest marker doesn't hesitate to change if you happen to stumble upon something for another quest, which should not happen unless the player changes it themselves. It also didn't help that I had one quest marker bug out when I dealt with the two side quests involving the controversial shop in Flotsam in the order that didn't help things. I ended up running into the one guy a while later in a place that I wasn't expecting.

The quest text can also be very uninformative, forcing me to consult an FAQ to see what I'm supposed to do since there's nothing that specifies the requirements needed to complete some of these quests. Specifically:
The Nekker Contract requires you to destroy the tunnels that they're spawning from, but that's it. I found out that I needed to get the Grapeshot bomb formula and craft a few to blow up the tunnels that popped up in the middle of the woods, though there's one pesky tunnel that is nowhere close to the other three that I needed a map to find. There's no way that I would've figured out the specific bomb needed unless I looked it up. It also didn't help that remnants of the Endrega contract also kept popping up on the mini-map to make it harder to tell where it could be.

I did find a bug that lets you run when you've gone over your weight limit, which is to just be running when you reach that point. If you stop at all, you'll be locked into that slow walk, so always be running when that happens.

If you buy a book on a monster, you get all the info about them and it tells you how to kill their nest. Otherwise you have to kill a bunch of them to get the info.

But yeah that one nest being out by itself is super annoying. I also have the Prima guide so maybe my view is tinted.

[quote name='MSUHitman']If you buy a book on a monster, you get all the info about them and it tells you how to kill their nest. Otherwise you have to kill a bunch of them to get the info.

But yeah that one nest being out by itself is super annoying. I also have the Prima guide so maybe my view is tinted.[/QUOTE]

How is the guide? I've already beaten the game, but I kinda like collecting the good ones.

bread's done
Back