With 1up gone... [Suggest a Podcast]

How exactly are they snobbish? And if they're running "too long", you either have too many podcasts or don't stop at the halfway mark for you to take a pause.

I haven't caught up with the last three podcasts myself because they put up THREE of them this past Sunday. I'll be able to hear 305 tomorrow.

Go to allgames.com and check it out. They have several podcasts. I like the Bobby Blackwolf Show and Dead Pixel Live.

[quote name='Nohbdy']How exactly are they snobbish? And if they're running "too long", you either have too many podcasts or don't stop at the halfway mark for you to take a pause.

I haven't caught up with the last three podcasts myself because they put up THREE of them this past Sunday. I'll be able to hear 305 tomorrow.[/quote]

The main host and the girl come off as gaming snobs to me. One example off the top of my head is the girl's attitude towards the guitar peripherals. It's not what they're talking about, but their tone is pretty bad.

And if they're running "too long", that means they don't know how to "edit their show". There's probably at least ten minutes worth of dead air on top of just flat segments.

Man I wish podcasts were waay longer

Usually I'll start playing a game and listen to 3 of them before my sessions up :/

I recommend Idle Thumbs because it is my favorite new podcast and it is becoming one of my favorites out of all of the podcasts I listen to.

[quote name='Treehouse Gamer']The main host and the girl come off as gaming snobs to me. One example off the top of my head is the girl's attitude towards the guitar peripherals. It's not what they're talking about, but their tone is pretty bad.

And if they're running "too long", that means they don't know how to "edit their show". There's probably at least ten minutes worth of dead air on top of just flat segments.[/quote]
They used to do two parts a week for their podcast, but things would sometimes get so busy that "part B" of their show wouldn't get posted until the following week. That brought about the change to their podcast.

I can kinda understand where you're coming from about the OLR crew, but they really are good people. Just give them some time.:D

Since 1UPyours got the boot, I tried Screwattack's SideScrollers. I enjoyed it, to my surprise. Their production values seem to be incredibly higher than other podcasts I've listened to.

TalkRadar is the only gaming podcast I listen to. It's done by a bunch of the GamesRadar guys and a sizable amount of alcohol, is usually at least 2 hours long, and is, IMO, hilarious.

Joystiq is a favorite for me. I find that they have very similar tastes in games to me and they speak intelligently about a lot of subjects. I never would have even considered Mirror's Edge without their suggestion; nor would I have bought Braid. Both are favorites of mine.

I quit listening to the CAG Cast when I figured out they did "feedback" for 30 minutes because they have nothing else to talk about.

One example off the top of my head is the girl's attitude towards the guitar peripherals.

You need to realize they used to just cover music and rhythm games in their early years and they know EXACTLY what they're talking about when the subject comes up. They have ties with Konami.

And if they're running "too long", that means they don't know how to "edit their show". There's probably at least ten minutes worth of dead air on top of just flat segments.

I don't see what that has to do with OLR.

[quote name='Nohbdy']You need to realize they used to just cover music and rhythm games in their early years and they know EXACTLY what they're talking about when the subject comes up. They have ties with Konami.[/quote]

I don't really need to "realize" anything. As a new listener, I shouldn't feel unwelcome just because I'm new.

Also, for one, that was just one example that immediately sprung to mind. Secondly, it still doesn't mean their attitudes are any less snooty. I've met a lot of people from many industries and listen to a lot of podcasts; humility goes a long way. You can get away with it if you're British, though. Or at least funny.

I don't see what that has to do with OLR.

Ok, let's make this a little simpler...

Their show ~ 2.5 hours long. I feel the show is an hour longer than it should be. I say it's because they don't know how to edit their show. I say their show has too much "fat" (i.e. dead air and flat segments). This "fat" directly contributes to their shows long run times. Too much fat with long run times leads to poorly paced shows.

I honestly don't get how you missed any of that...

Anyway, I've subscribed to the feed and will continue to download, so I get a solid feel. I went through over twenty episodes of Joystiq and GamerTag Radio before I laid those feeds to rest.

Other than the CAG and Foreplay, Joystiq, Player One, Rebel FM. I don't like some of the yelling and frat type podcasts. Of those three, I like Joystiq the best.

Uggg I cant stand retronauts or many of these others. The stupid fuckers laugh every 3 seconds and feel the need to talk about their personal lives and stuff other then gaming constantly. I am listening to these podcasts to hear about games not their love of sushi or harpy laughs.

[quote name='Treehouse Gamer']The main host and the girl come off as gaming snobs to me. One example off the top of my head is the girl's attitude towards the guitar peripherals. It's not what they're talking about, but their tone is pretty bad.

And if they're running "too long", that means they don't know how to "edit their show". There's probably at least ten minutes worth of dead air on top of just flat segments.[/quote]

I dont think "snob" is the correct word. They are indeed opinionated and somewhat "caustic", but with them playing games such as EDF, Pokemon, Ragnarok Online, in addition to the more usual "AAA" games, I think they are more representative of average gamers than most 'cast.

They *are*, however, particuarly harsh on music games, but that's because they originally got together b/c they were hardcore "beamani" fans. Their roots are in music games so they are more critical of those than others.

As for the length, I wasnt aware that they even edited the episodes much. The show is recorded live on Sunday nights with input from a chat room. The 'casts are simply the same as the live show. I personally dont notice much dead/flat time, but then again, I occasionally listen live too and know the show's format so perhaps it doesnt bother me much.

But OLR is one of my main 'casts. Additonally, I tend to listen to Video Game Outsiders a bunch too (both found on allgames.com). If All Games Interactive (AGI) ever comes back, it will return to claim my top spot in 'casts.

Former 1UP Editor, Ryan Scott just announced a new podcast to come out later this week. He's looking for support, so if you're interested check out his Geekbox blog

Jesus Christ, I've already donated to two of the split-off factions, and now there's a third? I'm gonna have to draw the line.

Anyway, I've sampled a handful of episodes from three podcasts so far that I've never tried up until now.

Cag 4play is alright, but I don't think it's really "for me." I'm looking for gaming news, but it seems like it's pretty much just the shipwrecks reading off lists of what's coming out that week. As a CAG, new releases don't mean a thing to me.

Gamers With Jobs is excellent. Thanks for those who suggested that one.

Giant Bombcast I don't like too much right now, but I'm going to give it a few more tries. So far it's come across like a bad radio morning show that's trying to be edgy. Is it just me, or do they have a guy assigned to mash on a keyboard to make random sounds and music while they're talking? And the energy level is through the roof, but again to morning show levels. I'm glad you're enthusiastic, guys, but it comes off as insincere showmanship. Talk to me normal-like.

I umpteenthed Gamers With Jobs. The cast have great chemistry, voices, and are witty and fun. I finished listening to the latest episode and love it. It definitely has the potential to become my favorite, active podcast. :mrgreen:

And while it may be "incredibly annoying" to some that people have branched off and need support, I do not mind donating, as I enjoyed 1UP for years and EGM since I was a kid (and I'm 24).

[quote name='Chase']And while it may be "incredibly annoying" to some that people have branched off and need support, I do not mind donating, as I enjoyed 1UP for years and EGM since I was a kid (and I'm 24).[/quote]

I didn't say that was incredibly annoying, I was talking about the Bombcast sound effect keyboard and talkbox crap.

[quote name='Vegan']I didn't say that was incredibly annoying, I was talking about the Bombcast sound effect keyboard and talkbox crap.[/quote]

Ah crap. My mistake. :oops:

But yes, Gamers With Jobs is great. Their people have good chemistry, are witty, and offer great commentary on gaming.

Oh, and I second Checkmate Arcade. :mrgreen:

Have to thank those that said gamers with jobs here. I have listened to several of the podcasts people suggested and as I said I hate most of them because they spend 90% of the time talking about crap other then games. GWJ however managed to make some jokes that are actually funny but stay on the subject of video games for the vast majority of the show.

Yeah, at first I thought, "How good can this possibly be? Gaming podcasts are a dime a dozen, everyone thinks they're 'in the biz'" but it seems that they're bigger than I thought and it's easy to see why. Their discussions are every bit as in-depth as 1up Yours.

After sampling Orange lounge radio, giant bombcast, jostiq podcast and Gamers with Jobs, I'd have to reiterate how good Gamers with Jobs is. Their audio quality is great, theres a variety of personalities and they also dedicate some time to indie games which is a plus.

2nd best out of the lot would be Joystiq and OLR. Joystiq tends to have more mainstream discussion, but rather dubious sound quality. OLR also sounded relatively mainstream, peppered with random bits of Ragnarok online and GTA4. Unfortunately, the Giant Bombcast didn't make much of an impact on me, but I would categorise it along the same lines as Joystiq.

Another podcast that I enjoy listening to is the Aussie Gamer http://www.australiangamer.com/podcast.rss , not so much for the news as much as the commentary and the occasional appearance of Yahtzee. Its only 30 minutes long and comes out nearly every week, so it doesn't make much of a dent in my ear-time.

So my priorities would lie with CAG/GWJ and Geekbox Radio when it comes out, and dl the remaining ones only if I have time. Meanwhile, it has been slightly hilarious watching ex-1up podcast employees making appearances on various gaming podcasts during the past week.

Some cool suggestions. I'm gonna have to check some of these out definitely and see how we go. Definitely a lull in my podcast listening schedule, so I need something to fill in the space while I'm doing the vacuuming.

Giant Bombcast got another strike with their Game of the Year episode, which may as well have been renamed as the "Three Hours of MGS4 Spoilers With No Warning" episode. Oh, I'm ever so sorry I haven't played it yet.

[quote name='Treehouse Gamer']Oh, also check this out:

http://www.mininova.org/tor/2154829

It's a torrent of EVERY GFW Radio podcast - easily the best videogame podcast ever produced.[/QUOTE]

I'll second that, there is no comparison.

Great gaming podcasts are hard to find, I've tried a few of the podcasts recommended in the thread.

I listened to one episode of Orange Lounge Radio (12/28/08). I really like the idea of incorporating user comments into a live podcast, it is a great dynamic to involve the user, unfortunately I don't find the rest of the show very interesting. The show is in desperate need of some editing. There were numerous portions of the show that were just dead air. They also had a flashback segment to talk about Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast, that was mostly just them listing the cast of the game combined with a lot of distracted pauses and the word uhmm. I never found the discussion raised much above, this game was awesome. They talk about rhythm games too much for me, but that is just a personal preference. I'll give the show one more listen though.

I also tried the Joystiq podcast which was okay, other than the obnoxious intro (maybe intentionally?). I could proably keep listening to this one.

[quote name='msdmoney']I also tried the Joystiq podcast which was okay, other than the obnoxious intro (maybe intentionally?). I could proably keep listening to this one.[/quote]

My biggest beef with the Joystiq podcast (and I know it's petty) is Justin's voice. It's a spot-on stereotypical nasally voice that a self-proclaimed fatty basement dweller would have.

The content is pretty good, although in a recent episode someone mentioned Sins of a Solar Empire being on a Top Five list and they all laughed, saying, "I've never even heard of that game!" Are you kidding me? These so-called professionals in the videogame journalism industry?

I miss Jeff Green and Shawn Elliot :(

I like the Video Game Show (its not a game show about video's, its the video game show), its short and quick and funny.

Others I have are Joystiq, CAGcast, GWJ (don't know if has been mentioned before), Player One and GiantBombcast

[quote name='Vegan']My biggest beef with the Joystiq podcast (and I know it's petty) is Justin's voice. It's a spot-on stereotypical nasally voice that a self-proclaimed fatty basement dweller would have.

The content is pretty good, although in a recent episode someone mentioned Sins of a Solar Empire being on a Top Five list and they all laughed, saying, "I've never even heard of that game!" Are you kidding me? These so-called professionals in the videogame journalism industry?[/QUOTE]

Griffin (Justin's litle brother) is actually a treat to listen to, intelligent and well spoken, although a well known douche on Left4Dead due to the fact he constantly messes with the witches and sets off car alarms for no reason.

I'll have another podcast with my friends. GZR never had a lot of fans, but the CAGs that tuned in said they liked it.
www.gamezoneradio.com if you want to check out past episodes. I wrote a weekly piece called "That Gamer" People seemed to like some of them, enough. Well, I think so. Our site almost never received much feedback.

bread's done
Back