Women in Gaming

Sirfragalot

CAGiversary!
Ok this is kind of a overdiscussed topic but I think women are not that intimadated by gaming. Theres plenty of women gamers. Also on the topic of normal women heros, I think its better to see beautiful women. Think about it would you like Laura Croft to be 5' 8" and 210 lbs. Discuss among your self.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I dont think they are intimidated by it at all. They just arent INTERESTED it it.

Because
a) Its fun
b) theres no money in it[/QUOTE]

Pretty much.

[quote name='Derwood43']I want to use a Simpson's reference, but it's a little overdiscussed.[/QUOTE]

my cat's breath smells like catfood?

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I dont think they are intimidated by it at all. They just arent INTERESTED it it.

Because
a) Its fun
b) theres no money in it[/QUOTE]

Wait, did you mean it's not fun or it is fun? :lol:

Because
a) Its fun
b) theres no money in it[/quote]

That doesnt really make sense.... What hobbies do have money in it? Besides Bank robbing ( one of the favorites), most hobbies are something you do in spare time for the enjoyment. Most pay for it with extra money ( or selling kidneys).. ..And yes its fun... they dont like it because its fun?... i dont blame them.

I really wasnt thinking about gaming from the hobby level specifically. I was thinking how, women will watch football, whether they are interested or not. The reason it is socially accepted is because there is money involved (the people playing).

As soon as there is a substantial amount of money involved in competitive video gaming, the following two changes will come about:

a) People will crowd around and watch it as if it mattered
b) it will become more socially accepted as a way to waste time, because like with sports, theres money in it if you become good.

As far as FUN, most of the women I've met just plain hate fun, and dont have any hobbies of their own, aside from their MAN, who are their entire life.
(I'm not including being a stupid bitch as being a hobby/pasttime)

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']

As far as FUN, most of the women I've met just plain hate fun, and dont have any hobbies of their own, aside from their MAN, who are their entire life.
(I'm not including being a stupid bitch as being a hobby/pasttime)[/QUOTE]
LOL at the last part! You must have had some shitty experiences with women.

[quote name='FrankySox']LOL at the last part! You must have had some shitty experiences with women.[/quote]

Or any experience with women at all.

[quote name='Kendal']Or any experience with women at all.[/QUOTE]

*taps nose*

I think the issue is what women grow up with. It's this perception video games are a boys toy because they see mainly boys playing them as they grow up and are exposed to this idea that "You're a girl, you play with certain toys and boys play with certain toys.". In Japan they see both so that's less of an issue though I'll grant there are definitely some influences on what they play and read there as well.
For both Japan and America, how often do you see a woman play a fighter, much less be good at one? I rest my case.

Female gamer since childhood here... on the appearance of women in gaming, the only problem is that most of them are dressed rather impractically. Seriously... who wears a thong in the snow-covered mountains? Where does Lara Croft get her items from? (My guess is a portable hole.)

As for women playing games, some of us are into it, some of us only play certain games, and some of us aren't into it at all.
I'll play anything that I deem worthwhile (whether I play them well is an entirely different matter), while my two best friends are all about the RPGs. My mom is a world-class Bomberman player, but Puzznic brings her to her knees.

As to the fighter question... I'm not bad at the 2-D classic fighters. :)

@ Dr Mario Kart: I'm sorry that you've had such bad experiences... women like that screw things up for the rest of us, hence my recent reentry into the realm of the single.

/throws 2 cents into the CAG upkeep fund

-Sailorneorune

[quote name='Lice']That doesnt really make sense.... What hobbies do have money in it? Besides Bank robbing ( one of the favorites), most hobbies are something you do in spare time for the enjoyment. Most pay for it with extra money ( or selling kidneys).. ..And yes its fun... they dont like it because its fun?... i dont blame them.[/quote]

But a lot of women don't have hobbies other than shopping or gossiping.....I keed, I keed. No seriously, most of the women I know spend all their time obsessing about their kids.

My girl won't play games with me because I whip her ass all over the place. I try to let her win but she's the kind of girl that gets lost in racing games......

The younger generation seems to be more evenly matched with girls and guys. I know a bunch of guys that have gamer daughters. My daughter is all about playing games too.

[quote name='depascal22']But a lot of women don't have hobbies other than shopping or gossiping.....I keed, I keed. [/QUOTE]

you got it all wrong, they spend all their time in the kitchen or cleaning. both of which are like videogames. j.k.

my past girlfriend's have mostly liked puzzle games and have all hated rpgs.

[quote name='Sirfragalot']Ok this is kind of a overdiscussed topic but I think women are not that intimadated by gaming. Theres plenty of women gamers. Also on the topic of normal women heros, I think its better to see beautiful women. Think about it would you like Laura Croft to be5' 8" and 210 lbs. Discuss among your self.[/quote]
Well, do you ever see fat, short, ugly male heroes in videogames? Ugly people belong locked away inside their houses, not to be seen by the outside world.

You would think this site would be a haven for our gal gamers (shopping), but we all ways force them to leave or just lurk. My fiancee doesn't game but she is an avid reader and she normally reads when I play games. For the most part she doesn't enjoy it mostlly because most games are over complicated for her.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Well, do you ever see fat, short, ugly male heroes in videogames? Ugly people belong locked away inside their houses, not to be seen by the outside world.[/QUOTE]

Quoted for truth.

[quote name='Sailorneorune']Female gamer since childhood here... on the appearance of women in gaming, the only problem is that most of them are dressed rather impractically. Seriously... who wears a thong in the snow-covered mountains? Where does Lara Croft get her items from? (My guess is a portable hole.)
[/QUOTE]

Apparently you've never played Tomb Raider Legends.

All her items are on her person, and she's pretty bundled up when she goes out into the snow.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Well, do you ever see fat, short, ugly male heroes in videogames? Ugly people belong locked away inside their houses, not to be seen by the outside world.[/QUOTE]
True, to a point, but at least most male leads *could* look like that in real life. Most of the female personas in games just couldn't exist in the real world (they constantly topple over and when they did, break to pieces). Lara Croft, at her old height, is the epitome of this. Although the "new" Lara isn't really *that* much better.

That being said, the market of slightly overweight, "real" male and female leads is wide open, and like most things, will continue to be that way I guess.

Roufuss - I was referring to the earlier Tomb Raider games and some of the RPGs in which the female characters (particularly elves) don't wear much... I think I'll give Legend a shot over the summer though, as it looks promising.

[quote name='Sailorneorune']How so? If it's just that you play games, then I guess I'm weird too.[/quote]
Despite how many like minded people you happen to know, you are in the minority. Something of a statistical anamoly. One of the extremes on the distribution curve. Its certainly not bad. Consider yourself special if you wish.

Of course I also have a much more strict defintion of what a 'gamer' is. I dont count casual people. Just because you've picked up a controller before and do so occasionally, doesnt make you a gamer. That would make nearly EVERYONE a gamer. I use the term as a descriptor of lifestyle, not a mere hobby.

I don't have a problem with women in gaming per se. I do have a problem when they parade the fact that they do play games as some sort of super awesome badge. Like those horrible PMS clan girls. I've played with alot of foul mouth people on Live, but none as bad as they are.

I also have a problem when they act like gaming is a boys club and they need to spoil the fun.

[quote name='terribledeli']I don't have a problem with women in gaming per se. I do have a problem when they parade the fact that they do play games as some sort of super awesome badge. Like those horrible PMS clan girls. I've played with alot of foul mouth people on Live, but none as bad as they are.

I also have a problem when they act like gaming is a boys club and they need to spoil the fun.[/quote]

?

editor_blogs.jpg

That picture always scares the crap out of me..

I'm also a female gamer since childhood. Where I lived, all the kids played video games, guys and girls. As a matter of fact, you were looked at funny if you didnt play video games, and often couldn't join in the conversation. And us girls knew how to play; we weren't picking up the controller and pressing random buttons. Video games are not just a guy thing anymore. Female gamers are slowly growing in numbers and frankly I feel there's nothing wrong with that.

[quote name='terribledeli']I don't have a problem with women in gaming per se. I do have a problem when they parade the fact that they do play games as some sort of super awesome badge. Like those horrible PMS clan girls. I've played with alot of foul mouth people on Live, but none as bad as they are.

I also have a problem when they act like gaming is a boys club and they need to spoil the fun.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about you but whenever I go on XB Live or onto any online game, I get picked on for being a girl (I eventually learned not to be too obvious about it in my screenname).

I also have trouble finding people to play games with because most of the girls that I know don't play games. When I was living in the dorms, my roommates left the room whenever I was playing Doom or Resident Evil 4 because it gave them nightmares :rofl: Also, I get made fun of a lot, especially when people see my game collection.

[quote name='vietgurl']I don't know about you but whenever I go on XB Live or onto any online game, I get picked on for being a girl (I eventually learned not to be too obvious about it in my screenname).

I also have trouble finding people to play games with because most of the girls that I know don't play games. When I was living in the dorms, my roommates left the room whenever I was playing Doom or Resident Evil 4 because it gave them nightmares :rofl: Also, I get made fun of a lot, especially when people see my game collection.[/quote]

yeah, seeing Leon's head removed with a chainsaw might have that effect on people :lol:

[quote name='Sirfragalot']Also on the topic of normal women heros, I think its better to see beautiful women. Think about it would you like Laura Croft to be 5' 8" and 210 lbs. Discuss among your self.[/QUOTE]Most male characters aren't exactly ugly either. :lol:

[quote name='daroga']True, to a point, but at least most male leads *could* look like that in real life. Most of the female personas in games just couldn't exist in the real world (they constantly topple over and when they did, break to pieces). Lara Croft, at her old height, is the epitome of this. Although the "new" Lara isn't really *that* much better.

[/quote]

I disagree. Unless you are already Scott Steiner or another pro wrestler, you would have to take copius amounts of steroids or work out CONSTANTLY to look like some of the dudes in video games. Conversly a woman would have to have seriously detailed boob jobs to get to those proportions.

[quote name='Kendal']I play Guild Wars. I make chick builds cause guys like to look at hot chicks destroying shit. My 2 cents.[/quote]

:lol: That pretty much sums it up actually.

In regards to women playing games online, I have played quite a few in Star Trek Elite Force and Quake III, I just never gave much thought about it. I still don't see why it is still such a big deal if a woman plays online. Just treat them like an equal player and stop trying to find cupid's arrow or give them a hard time. I mean damn...

[quote name='GuilewasNK']In regards to women playing games online, I have played quite a few in Star Trek Elite Force and Quake III, I just never gave much thought about it. I still don't see why it is still such a big deal if a woman plays online. Just treat them like an equal player and stop trying to find cupid's arrow or give them a hard time. I mean damn...[/quote]

QFT

My fiance is addicted to Diablo 2 and will play games like Prince of Persia, and even the occasional FPS.

I think every female that i know of has some sort of interest in Sims. EA has money there.

They like collectiong "things" from my experience. She wants to play WOW but I have to upgrade my computer, so it will be a few years before she gets into it.

She is good looking to boot, and asian. But we're getting married on a K1 visa so that means I had to import her.

Honestly I can't stand any female who doesn't have atleast some interest in games.

Yeah, my girl loves racing games. She leans more toward the Mario Kart but we've played all of the other ones. And she loves the Sims of course.

My girlfriend has been playing video games since the NES. She has owned almost every system except a few of them. She enjoys RPG and some fighting games, oh, also DDR, Taiko, and some others. She tends to like games that have "pretty costumes" as she tries to make theser costumes and wears them to anime conventions. She plays a few FPS (Halo,Halo2) but nothing like CS or DoD or Quake.

[quote name='Chacrana']I like women to be teh h0tz.[/quote]
Dang. I'm only mild.

[quote name='Sailorneorune']on the appearance of women in gaming, the only problem is that most of them are dressed rather impractically. Seriously... who wears a thong in the snow-covered mountains? Where does Lara Croft get her items from? (My guess is a portable hole.) [/QUOTE]
The second issue is indemic with video games as a whole, and have nothing to do with the characters being male or female. All characters can concievably whip out a Barret lite50 from absolutely no where. I mean, where does Master Chief keep that Brute Shot when he's not using it?

Games utilizing inventories, such as RPGs/ Adventure/Hack & Slash/Dungeon Crawlers will often have characters hauling around what adds up to almost hundreds of bottles that realistically would measure imposing weights, and the hero isn't bogged down in the least. They leap into the forray, not caring that their potions equal a combined weight of over 45 pounds in their pockets, if they actually have any pockets to begin with.

I always found it humerous to watch Samantha Alexander in the Hunter series reach for her (unlimited ammo). Anyone familiar with the reload animation will know whta I'm talking about when I ask, just WHERE is she reaching? But to ease your mind, Sailor, at least she's fully clothed.

[quote name='depascal22']But a lot of women don't have hobbies other than shopping or gossiping.....I keed, I keed. [/QUOTE]
I don't know why you're keeding, as you're pretty much right on the money.

They won't like to admit to it to a man, but get the girls together, and there's a pride in how much the shop and what the always shop for. And yes, we're horrible gossips too. Though as we all know in our hearts gossiping is wrong, we won't admit to anyone else, not to mention *ourselves* that we gossip all too much. And not because we care about that person, but because we love to show off WHAT we know about WHOM and how smart we are in that WE know what THEY should do. We're all dime daytime TV psychiatrists. *rolls eyes*

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Well, do you ever see fat, short, ugly male heroes in videogames? Ugly people belong locked away inside their houses, not to be seen by the outside world.[/quote]
There's this one guy in Dynasty Warriors who weighs at least 300 lbs. But he smiles alot and sorta guffaws, so he's all jolly. Okay, how about the dwarves in any of the fantasy games?

[quote name='terribledeli']I also have a problem when they act like gaming is a boys club and they need to spoil the fun.[/quote]What you have there are just pathetic folks who have severe self-worth issues. They've been rejected over time for whatever reason and currently are taking it out on whomever they run into who are (as they see things) weaker than they are.

It's not because they're female gamers, they're just miserable girls to begin with.

[quote name='Starwishi']Video games are not just a guy thing anymore. Female gamers are slowly growing in numbers and frankly I feel there's nothing wrong with that.[/quote]
They never have been just a guy thing. But I will disagree with you on us growing in numbers. We're still VERY much in the minority. I walk into a game section or video game store, and unless the clerks know me, they assume I'm looking for my kids (I don't have any) or someone else.

So when some guys are in the shop looking at this game or that, and I tell them, the price will be dropping within a month, or that the xbox port is better than the 360s, or that they'll get bored mashing one or two buttons and that's all the game has to offer, or that it's a great game, they all look at me as if I'm a freak of nature. And then they'll chill out, process the information I just gave them, and we'll start talking games.

[quote name='vietgurl']I don't know about you but whenever I go on XB Live or onto any online game, I get picked on for being a girl (I eventually learned not to be too obvious about it in my screenname).[/quote]
Picked on? Odd. I'm usually more than welcome... moreso *because* I'm a girl.

At Christmas time, one of the local EB Managers roped me into helping out to be their "Mom-friendly" employee. I'm the grown woman who knows video games, so the grandparents and Moms & Dads who have no idea what they're looking for or at, see me, they come over and ask a thousand questions. They could just as easily be answered by most of the kids working there, as the kids working there actually have a halfway decent idea of what they're selling (what a rarity!).

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I disagree. Unless you are already Scott Steiner or another pro wrestler, you would have to take copius amounts of steroids or work out CONSTANTLY to look like some of the dudes in video games.[/quote]
eh... possibly. To me a perfect videogame hero was Nick Kang from True Crime Streets of LA... not just because he was written well with a fun personality who didn't always come up with the classic one-liners and was someone you could laugh with, not just because his VA nailed that personality... but because of his build.

(Yeah, he was a leetle tall for being a Chinese-American, but depending on his lineage, he was perfectly believable.) But back to Nicks body... absolutely realistic.

I play a lot of shooters, and usually the character models are fairly respectable. In fact, the only character I can think of off the top of my head who looked silly was Tex from Brute Force.

Of course there are super-hero games and fighting games where some characters are just absurd, but that's to be expected.

Conversly a woman would have to have seriously detailed boob jobs to get to those proportions.
And have a few ribs removed as well. youch.

In regards to women playing games online, I have played quite a few in Star Trek Elite Force and Quake III, I just never gave much thought about it. I still don't see why it is still such a big deal if a woman plays online. Just treat them like an equal player and stop trying to find cupid's arrow or give them a hard time.
You get a Star for being level-headed and reasonable. *applauds*

[quote name='guinaevere']
Picked on? Odd. I'm usually more than welcome... moreso *because* I'm a girl.
[/QUOTE]

Try kicking a guy's ass at Halo or any other FPS in front of his friends. I end up losing a lot of friends this way. :lol:

bread's done
Back