World of Goo (PC), direct from the developers - name your price! Ends 10/25

CoffeeEdge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
WoG_header.jpg

Update 10/20:​
Offer extended to 10/25. Also:
Please do not pay less than 30 cents! The developers do not see any income from sales less than ~30 cents; it all goes to the Paypal transaction fee. Nearly a third of people who have gotten in on this deal so far have only paid a penny; this is a supreme dick move, so please don't do it! Cough up at least four bits you cheap bastard.

If you're one of the 17,000 people who only paid a single copper and feel guilty about it, which you should, there is still time, now, to go back and pay them something a bit more reasonable. If you pay something in the ballpark of what you spend on lunch everyday, congrats, you win. If it's less than what you pay for a candy bar, then you are evil.

Original post:
World of Goo just turned one year old. To celebrate, the developers, 2D Boy, are offering the game directly from their website, for whatever price you'd like to pay. 1¢, $1000, anything north of zero works. The game normally sells for $20.

This is the PC version, and this purchase will get you the Windows, Mac, and Linux versions of the game, all together, so unless you're using OS/2 or AmigaOS or something, you should be able to run this.

If you have not played this game, for the love of god and all that is good about videogames, please buy it now (and if you're one of those naughty devils who did play it, but didn't pay for it, now's your chance to clear your conscience). If you have any friends, relatives, or even remote passing acquaintances who have not played this game, buy it for all of them, too. Buy 30 copies for 50¢ each and hand them out at your next social gathering, and you will be the hit of the party. Whatever. Just buy it.

This offer lasts until October 19th. Go forth, buy, and fall in love:
http://2dboy.com/games.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my god thank you!
I bought the Mac version with Macheist but I've never been able to play it because of time and stuff.
Now ... netbook ahoy.
Pretty sure I'll be giving them my $5. :)

Seriously, am I the only one that cant get the site to load? I dont see anyone else having a problem. Its been 4 hours since I last posted.

I'm still waiting for the email they were supposed to send.... that was 8 oclock.... this morning...... I'm at 10 hours and waiting.

[quote name='SINNED']Seriously, am I the only one that cant get the site to load? I dont see anyone else having a problem. Its been 4 hours since I last posted.[/QUOTE]

I haven't been able to either. How is everybody else managing to get through? :cry:

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']I haven't been able to either. How is everybody else managing to get through? :cry:[/QUOTE]
It's been going up and down constantly. In the 5 minutes it took me to send my donation, it was back down again.

[quote name='TimTucker']Just found it for $3.74 the other day at Target... almost wish I'd waited a few days.[/QUOTE]

The same, just got this for $3.74 from Target.

I just got a receipt for my purchase but it didn't have a link to dl the game in the email. Is it a separate email from the receipt?

[quote name='Cheadyp']I still haven't gotten my email yet but I was able to use the second one on this form to get the dl link. http://worldofgoo.com/manualEmailBot.php[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, you should get two within a few minutes of updating. One is your paypal receipt, the other is your download information.

It too me a few load ups to get my copy so just be patient.

"Manual Email Bot is having trouble finding your order. Did you type in your information correctly? Are you using the email address paypal has on file for you? If you think this is an error, no worries, please contact us at the link below, and a human will help you as soon as possible!"

Ugh. I was hoping to play this tonight. It's been 6 hours and no email and neither of the forms work. Awesome.

Donated $1. Was really close to grabbing it for $5 from D2D, so I'm glad I waited so I could do this. I'll probably be buying it for the iPhone when it hits $1 or $2, too, as I really liked the demo I tried on Steam. The download isn't working now, but I'm in no big rush to play it, as I've already waited a year now.

Never got the second email, I tried the Manual Email Bot thing and that didn't work as well. Going to have to contact 2D Boy to see if they can send me a separate email, thanks anyway.

great find op, just d/l my copy for Mac. I had always heard good things about this game and boy were they right. My girlfriend and I just spent two hours playing it without even realizing lol

Awesome. The reason I hadn't gotten this earlier is because I read that it was for the iPhone version. But now I'm getting it for Windows and you can be damn sure I paid a penny. Woo!

[quote name='lilboo']Wow, I'm really surprised people are donating so much[/QUOTE]

It's a reverse psychology kind of thing. Same way Radiohead made millions when they offered their album for free and had a little donation box on the side.

People aren't donating "so much". The most common prices people paid in this thread are a penny and a dollar, and that's depressing. lilboo's post is referring to the one before his, where the poster donated $15.

When Radiohead did it, it was a great marketing move because it boosted retail sales of the album, i.e. they did not make millions from just releasing the album online for donations. No one here is going to run out and buy World of Goo in stores even if they love it.

Its been over 24 hours for me as well, and I still have not gotten a email code. The email bot on their site also is not finding my order.

I'm paying $1 since I already own this for Wii. Just want the Xfire hours :p

Hey this is kinda like that Bullet Candy Perfect release a while back. The "minimum $1, pay anything" type deal. I paid $3, which is about the same cost as the original Bullet Candy (which I've been meaning to get for a long time).

[quote name='whitereflection'] The most common prices people paid in this thread are a penny and a dollar, and that's depressing..[/QUOTE]
Exactly

It's not really that depressing that people are paying $1 or less for the game, in fact, I find it quite encouraging that people are even jumping on the sale.

Sure it's $20 normally ($15 on Wii) and arguably worth every penny at that price, but 2DBoy has admitted that they have absolutely no DRM in the game, so it'd be very easy to pirate the game if people wanted. What's encouraging is that they are hitting the people that would either never buy the game, or would pirate it, by getting them to actually pay what they believe is a fair price of admission for the title.

Digitally distributing this game will only cost 2DBoy their server bandwidth, so really, each download is cash in the pocket that, if they hadn't done this promotion, would never have traded hands.

As far as WiiWare goes, World of Goo was an absolute mega hit. That definitely translated into a nice lump some for the small development team, so this is icing on the cake.

Not to mention, this will hopefully drum up some interest for the game launching on the iPhone shortly. And as sales on the App Store pay back 70% to the developers, I'd say this is a very good marketing campaign (especially since it's paying 2DBoy while spreading the word).

So, let's embrace the cheap asses that are buying this game for a dollar or even a penny. May they appreciate the excellent production of World of Goo and support 2DBoy in the future with retail purchases!

bread's done
Back