World of Goo (PC), direct from the developers - name your price! Ends 10/25

CoffeeEdge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
WoG_header.jpg

Update 10/20:​
Offer extended to 10/25. Also:
Please do not pay less than 30 cents! The developers do not see any income from sales less than ~30 cents; it all goes to the Paypal transaction fee. Nearly a third of people who have gotten in on this deal so far have only paid a penny; this is a supreme dick move, so please don't do it! Cough up at least four bits you cheap bastard.

If you're one of the 17,000 people who only paid a single copper and feel guilty about it, which you should, there is still time, now, to go back and pay them something a bit more reasonable. If you pay something in the ballpark of what you spend on lunch everyday, congrats, you win. If it's less than what you pay for a candy bar, then you are evil.

Original post:
World of Goo just turned one year old. To celebrate, the developers, 2D Boy, are offering the game directly from their website, for whatever price you'd like to pay. 1¢, $1000, anything north of zero works. The game normally sells for $20.

This is the PC version, and this purchase will get you the Windows, Mac, and Linux versions of the game, all together, so unless you're using OS/2 or AmigaOS or something, you should be able to run this.

If you have not played this game, for the love of god and all that is good about videogames, please buy it now (and if you're one of those naughty devils who did play it, but didn't pay for it, now's your chance to clear your conscience). If you have any friends, relatives, or even remote passing acquaintances who have not played this game, buy it for all of them, too. Buy 30 copies for 50¢ each and hand them out at your next social gathering, and you will be the hit of the party. Whatever. Just buy it.

This offer lasts until October 19th. Go forth, buy, and fall in love:
http://2dboy.com/games.php

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='iowaholdem']They asked nicely that people don't pirate their game. That's what's supposed to stop people from copying the file and distributing it (illegally).[/QUOTE]
I don't pirate. I would like to be able to copy the game for my own use though. I'll pick up a 2nd copy for 10 cents because I already gave a larger tribute for my own copy and I don't know if my friend will even end up playing it.

[quote name='Kaltic']You can't blame people. 2Dboy knew they would get the .01 buyers by not putting a minimum...[/QUOTE]
Oh I always know people will.

But to see people bragging about it. :roll:

Thanks OP! I donated a dollar- more later if I like it.
I think it's a great marketing move for 2DBoy to make this sale. It's been a year since World of Goo came out; the market that was going to buy it has already bought it. Who's been waiting for the price to drop on this $20 PC release? The users who played it were 90% pirates, anyway. What does 2DBoy have to lose? They make some cash, and they get a good reputation, or just add to the good one they already have.
Kudos 2DBoy.

Donated what I thought was appropriate, got the email link within the minute and have been playing off and on since last night--just started level 4. very neat little game and the "pay what you like" option is really great. even if they don't make a killing on it, I'm sure word of mouth will spread like wildfire and folks will remember this next time the devs release a game. I know I will.

At this point, I think most people who would buy this have already bought it, so I see any money people pay for this as pure profit for the developer, even the smaller amounts (assuming there is not some fixed processing cost per download). If you would have never bought this game otherwise, what difference does it make if you "donate" $.05, $0.50 or $5?

Paid $7.50 the other day. I won the Wii one in a contest, so I feel like I should at least give something back. Still waiting for it, since I paid with eCheck.

I went to your link and saw:

I am too stressed out. Try again in a minute or two. -the Server

:lol:

[quote name='Cheadyp']Deal is extended until October 25. Here is a blog post going into detail on the results of the sale http://2dboy.com/2009/10/19/birthday-sale-results/

Here's a quote from the blog post that people should consider when donating:
"For all purchases of around 30 cents and under, we actually saw no money, PayPal took it all...."[/QUOTE]

Good job, guys. :roll:

Anyone who donated that little should man up and buy another copy, so the developers actually see the money.

Any chance of editing the thread title so that the new end date is reflected?

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Any chance of editing the thread title so that the new end date is reflected?[/QUOTE]

Done. Also making a note about the 30¢ threshold.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']
Anyone who donated that little should man up and buy another copy, so the developers actually see the money.

Any chance of editing the thread title so that the new end date is reflected?[/QUOTE]

No kidding, I'm surprised 30 cents is even the threshold, but seriously -- throw them at least a couple of bucks, the game is awesome, they put NO DRM on it, they're doing everything we want good PC developers to do... let's reward them for it and prove we're willing to put our money where our whining comes from. ;)

It sucks that they don't make any money from any donations less than 30 cents, but they're the ones who allowed people to donate that little. So I don't really feel any sympathy for them since they knew this going in.

at least they don't lose money on the 1 centers, right?
paypal fees are all of the 1st 30 cents, or is it a flat 30 cents per transaction?

Maybe they didn't want to taint the "experiment," but if they just posted that they don't make money under 30 cents in the first place, more people might have given more.

[quote name='vherub']at least they don't lose money on the 1 centers, right?
paypal fees are all of the 1st 30 cents, or is it a flat 30 cents per transaction?[/QUOTE]

I just checked paypal, and it says there is a flat 30 cents + %:
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-receiving-fees-outside&countries=

I'm guessing paypal just takes whatever the value is for < 30 cents, since 2dboy said paypal probably lost money on the 1 CENTers.

But since this was a "donation," I wonder if they at least paid no fees for those who sent from a paypal balance or checking account.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='scottman']Maybe they didn't want to taint the "experiment," but if they just posted that they don't make money under 30 cents in the first place, more people might have given more.[/QUOTE]

I do agree with that. Maybe it was ignorance on their part, but extending the sale and publicizing the fact now (especially since the $0.30 story ran on Kotaku, Joystiq and who knows how many other sites) might help to recoup some of that.

[quote name='scottman']I just checked paypal, and it says there is a flat 30 cents + %:
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-receiving-fees-outside&countries=

I'm guessing paypal just takes whatever the value is for < 30 cents, since 2dboy said paypal probably lost money on the 1 CENTers.[/QUOTE]

2D Boy lost money on the jerks who paid a penny, too - remember, they've got to pay for bandwidth for that download.

Judging from the charts, I would guess that they're probably in the 2.2% fee category.

[quote name='momouchi']If I had known they only made .70 on the dollar I would have upped it to $2 or 3 instead of $1.[/QUOTE]

There are processing fees that the merchant has to pay any time you use a credit card to purchase something. That's why many stores offer a discount if you pay cash, or enforce a minimum amount for credit card purchases, though they can get in trouble for this.

[quote name='boredasfook']thanks the game is awesome i feel sad that i bought it for a cent though...[/QUOTE]

Then buy another copy for a friend for a few bucks.

I paid full price for this on WiiWare. Totally worth every cent.

...I've been debating with myself if I should buy it again, but I don't know if I want to... I'm too cheap. (Yeah, I know I can pay next to nothing so the developer gets nothing, but that's not me. If I see another physical copy on clearance, I'll pick it up.)

I actually wish they didn't use Paypal, since it's really a pain for fees and I hate to think that such a large portion of the donated money just ended up going to Paypal. Still, think I might have to put a few more dollars in and gift it to a friend.

I wonder what percentage Steam takes when a copy is sold on there...

If you buy 2 games from the same email and computer, what happens when you download the 2nd game to your computer... does it automatically overwrite the original file or does it pick a different file name and location? Or do you have to make sure to do this yourself.

[quote name='Edge']I actually wish they didn't use Paypal, since it's really a pain for fees and I hate to think that such a large portion of the donated money just ended up going to Paypal. Still, think I might have to put a few more dollars in and gift it to a friend.

I wonder what percentage Steam takes when a copy is sold on there...[/QUOTE]
I didn't need to use Paypal and could just donate directly from a credit card without using Paypal at all. I doubt Paypal takes much, if anything, for donations since it would look bad for them to take money out of a charities' hands.

[quote name='J7.']If you buy 2 games from the same email and computer, what happens when you download the 2nd game to your computer... does it automatically overwrite the original file or does it pick a different file name and location? Or do you have to make sure to do this yourself.[/QUOTE]

just rename the file when you download it.

or.. if you havent bought the first copy yet, just pay 2x what you would have, and make a copy of the file yourself.

and to respond to the general thread: glad to see this was extended, as i missed the original sale. i got in for $5 since that's the cheapest(AFAIK) it's been sold via fixed price. I have a ton of games piling up and have all but stopped purchasing anything new, but i made an exception for this because i do like to support indie developers.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']2D Boy lost money on the jerks who paid a penny, too - remember, they've got to pay for bandwidth for that download.[/QUOTE]

How do you figure? They are already paying for bandwidth anyways... It's not like they would suddenly have lost *less* money without those $0.01 sales...

[quote name='Warlock82']How do you figure? They are already paying for bandwidth anyways... It's not like they would suddenly have lost *less* money without those $0.01 sales...[/QUOTE]

not sure if you've ever managed a website, but you typically buy X amount of bandwidth per month. if you have a sudden/unusual influx of traffic(as one might have for something like, i dunno, a pick your own price sale), you pay your overages based on the amount of data transferred.

granted, an extra 65mb isnt going to cost but a few cents.. but if the numbers are great it can definitely add up.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']
2D Boy lost money on the jerks who paid a penny, too - remember, they've got to pay for bandwidth for that download.[/QUOTE]

bandwidth lol, dont visit their website or else they're gonna lose money

have another free code. cant promise it will work. p.m me if you want to try it. (was my friends, he couldn't get it to work. im convinced he is stupid) great for someone who doesn't have a credit card or paypal account, no cag newbie's.

[quote name='smoger']not sure if you've ever managed a website, but you typically buy X amount of bandwidth per month. if you have a sudden/unusual influx of traffic(as one might have for something like, i dunno, a pick your own price sale), you pay your overages based on the amount of data transferred.

granted, an extra 65mb isnt going to cost but a few cents.. but if the numbers are great it can definitely add up.[/QUOTE]

It depends entirely on their hosting provider. I actually have unlimited bandwidth on my website.

But in any case, they are selling software on their website - it stands to reason they have quite a large bandwidth limit (if any) already. They may have even purchased more in anticipation for this sale. But I really doubt they are being charged extra on a per-download basis...

[quote name='smoger']just rename the file when you download it.

or.. if you havent bought the first copy yet, just pay 2x what you would have, and make a copy of the file yourself.

and to respond to the general thread: glad to see this was extended, as i missed the original sale. i got in for $5 since that's the cheapest(AFAIK) it's been sold via fixed price. I have a ton of games piling up and have all but stopped purchasing anything new, but i made an exception for this because i do like to support indie developers.[/QUOTE]
Okay, thanks a bunch!

[quote name='soccerstud652']If I already paid and downloaded on my mac, can I reuse the link and d.l on my pc? I want to use my controller on my pc.[/QUOTE]
yes you can, I used the same link for my pc & laptop

How long will the link allow us to redownload for, say I lose the game a year from now will I be able to download it again?

bread's done
Back