World of Goo (PC), direct from the developers - name your price! Ends 10/25

CoffeeEdge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
WoG_header.jpg

Update 10/20:​
Offer extended to 10/25. Also:
Please do not pay less than 30 cents! The developers do not see any income from sales less than ~30 cents; it all goes to the Paypal transaction fee. Nearly a third of people who have gotten in on this deal so far have only paid a penny; this is a supreme dick move, so please don't do it! Cough up at least four bits you cheap bastard.

If you're one of the 17,000 people who only paid a single copper and feel guilty about it, which you should, there is still time, now, to go back and pay them something a bit more reasonable. If you pay something in the ballpark of what you spend on lunch everyday, congrats, you win. If it's less than what you pay for a candy bar, then you are evil.

Original post:
World of Goo just turned one year old. To celebrate, the developers, 2D Boy, are offering the game directly from their website, for whatever price you'd like to pay. 1¢, $1000, anything north of zero works. The game normally sells for $20.

This is the PC version, and this purchase will get you the Windows, Mac, and Linux versions of the game, all together, so unless you're using OS/2 or AmigaOS or something, you should be able to run this.

If you have not played this game, for the love of god and all that is good about videogames, please buy it now (and if you're one of those naughty devils who did play it, but didn't pay for it, now's your chance to clear your conscience). If you have any friends, relatives, or even remote passing acquaintances who have not played this game, buy it for all of them, too. Buy 30 copies for 50¢ each and hand them out at your next social gathering, and you will be the hit of the party. Whatever. Just buy it.

This offer lasts until October 19th. Go forth, buy, and fall in love:
http://2dboy.com/games.php

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='whitereflection']People aren't donating "so much". The most common prices people paid in this thread are a penny and a dollar, and that's depressing. lilboo's post is referring to the one before his, where the poster donated $15.

When Radiohead did it, it was a great marketing move because it boosted retail sales of the album, i.e. they did not make millions from just releasing the album online for donations. No one here is going to run out and buy World of Goo in stores even if they love it.[/QUOTE]

Although I agree that it was mostly a good marketing campaign to eventually drive retail sales, I'm pretty sure that Radiohead did rake in at least a million or so when they did this.

I wonder if they'll ever release the figures, it'll be interesting to see how it fared in comparison to Radioheads marketing.

After 30 hours of waiting for the second email i decided to donate an extra penny. This time i got the download email instantly.... Darn you 2Dboy for getting that extra penny out of me!!!

Well the second windows installer isn't working. So I downloaded the linux version, Ill hop over in a bit and try it out there.

I keep telling my friends about this deal, but they all think I'm crazy and blabbering nonsense 'cause 2D Boy's website is still down!

I got this and played it for 2 hours already. Beat chapter 1. This is such a good game. I'm amazed honestly. I really wasn't expecting much.

Site down again right after I made my donation too for the game. Looking forward to playing it on my Mac it's been a long time since I've gamed on here.

I was to low on cash to get in on the D2D sell but can scarp together 4 quarters today.

And it is nice to be able to play it on my linux computers as well they are severely lacking in the games department.

This worked out good for me and thank you for posting it and giving this broke ass gamer something new to play.

[quote name='Kaltic']After 30 hours of waiting for the second email i decided to donate an extra penny. This time i got the download email instantly.... Darn you 2Dboy for getting that extra penny out of me!!![/QUOTE]

Woot! That did the trick.

I've bought a few copies for some friends (couple of dollars each), wondering if the site's down. Hopefully it's not, since I previewed the gift download link. Off to become a second-rate philantrophist!

It's been 24 hours and no E-mail. Should I email them to complain, or send a penny to try and get another link?

So says the website:
- Our server is VERY busy today! Confirmation mails with download links are SLOW to come out today, due to the VERY busy World of Goo Birthday Sale. If you still don't receive a link within 24 hours, please let us know. Otherwise, thank you for being patient while we get everything sorted!

It's been over 24 hours for me, but I'm in no rush to play it and it's a few more days till the sale ends.

Was able to goto the site, give tribute, download, & play without any problems. The download did take a while though. I'd try right now! Are will able to redownload the game at any time if something happens or is this a one time deal?

Links for me are fine now, but the gift option is absent. Can I still send links to friends even though it still has my name on it? (I buy a unique one for each person.)

I just got my link too. I guess that's been straightened out.
I wonder how many people will have ordered this after the sale...

just got my first email download link (the 2nd dl link was instant) so i bought two games. IF only that gift option was still available... oh well i can just put it on a thumb drive and give it you my brother....

Thanks! I had been regretting not buying the last copy of Goo when it was on clearance at my local target a few weeks ago!

[quote name='jsub']People who are donating pennies should be ashamed of themselves :roll:[/QUOTE]

I did donate a penny, but I paid for the Wii version in full last year ($15), so I didn't feel bad. The devs have a fully purchased version from me.

[quote name='burningrom2']I encourage everyone to donate $0.01[/QUOTE]

you guys do realize that if enough people donate a fair amount and this is successful, more developers might try this with more games, right?

they are being awesome, with an awesome game. support them.

FYI the developers won't see any money if you only donate a penny due to Paypal/transaction fees.

[quote name='SimaYi']FYI the developers won't see any money if you only donate a penny due to Paypal/transaction fees.[/QUOTE]
Its a donation, so there are no paypal fees

I'm torn here. I want an awesome cheap game, but I don't want the developer owing money to the evils of PayPal. So I think I'm going to go with the 3.74 from Target Clearance, or maybe just $5 even.

[quote name='blackwaltz34']i cant believe it took me so long to see this topic

anyways, i donated a $1...i was gonna donate a penny, but i felt kinda bad.[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing. Was about to donate 1 penny but changed it to $1.

Got my confirmation email during the evening. This morning I downloaded all three versions archived it played the Mac version for an hour and it was fun. CAG is the best, another good deal donated what I thought was appropriate with no issues other then a half day delay on the confirmation email.

Woot I can get a second copy for 1 cent or $1

Hmm I hope us, second copy buyers, don't screw up their overall average payment

Anyone have any problems downloading it? I missed out on the clearance at Target so I donated what I would have paid there, but I click the download link, wait for it to finish and either just at it gets to 99% my Firefox stops responding and I can't do anything else except close everything and restart, or it'll finish and I get a weird error message when I try to install it.

Edit: It figures as soon as I complain about it, it works without a problem. I can't wait to play it, I've heard so many good things.

My fiance and I played this game tonight and got past the first stage. So worth it! The backgrounds and music are great, and the puzzles are really creative.

Can I buy a 2nd copy to the same email as the first I bought? I want to get one for someone but can't gift it to their email.

[quote name='J7.']Can I buy a 2nd copy to the same email as the first I bought? I want to get one for someone but can't gift it to their email.[/QUOTE]

You can get one to the same email and i think they removed the gifting option after awhile... I got one for my brother and just downloaded it, put it on a thumb drive, and gave it to him...

Of course he lives like five steps from me so it was an easy process.....

[quote name='basilofbkrst']DAMN IT! Why can't I link it to Steam?[/QUOTE]

Because they didn't contract with Valve to have external keys registerable on Steam.

Add it to Steam as a non-Steam game, and you can still use the Steam overlay, at least.

[quote name='Kaltic']You can get one to the same email and i think they removed the gifting option after awhile... I got one for my brother and just downloaded it, put it on a thumb drive, and gave it to him...

Of course he lives like five steps from me so it was an easy process.....[/QUOTE]
Okay, I'll probably buy another for 10 cents. What's to stop people from just copying the file they downloaded for themselves? I think they put the email gifting option back up.

They asked nicely that people don't pirate their game. That's what's supposed to stop people from copying the file and distributing it (illegally).

Bought the disc version in the past, just bought another for a friend for $5.

People donating less than a dollar..... ugh.

[quote name='dallow']Bought the disc version in the past, just bought another for a friend for $5.

People donating less than a dollar..... ugh.[/QUOTE]

You can't blame people. 2Dboy knew they would get the .01 buyers by not putting a minimum...

bread's done
Back