Worst B&M Game Retailer 2009

Walmart

And I don't get why people nominate Gamestop - it at least has good selection and occasional deals. Walmart (at least in my area anyway) only has the newest games and NEVER has deals and never has games on clearance. It's MSRP or nothing.

Game Crazy for my documented problems with my local store that I took to the MO Attorney General.

FYI that location is now closed and I do not have a nearby GC.

Tough choice between Walmart and BB for making noobs think that they have to make a new thread everytime they find something on what is YMMV clearance.

I'll go with WM for never having any deals at all.

[quote name='oasisboy']How about this: Don't buy these copies and the trend will stop.[/QUOTE]

I've done it maybe two or three times over the years when it was a game I wanted badly and they were the only quick option. Either way, it's something that should not be happening.

I haven't had any problems with Gamestop... yet.

My vote goes to WalMart, for NEVER having a sale. I hate getting gift cards there, because I end up having to spend more money on a game than I would somewhere else.

GameStop

Received Borderlands on PC for Christmas. They gutted the copy. Because of the anti-piracy nonsense of needing the disc in the PC to play it and the fact that it was cheaper on Steam at the time, I attempted to return it for a refund.

Was told I had to wait for the manager, came back an hour later and asked him for the refund, only to be told I couldn't because it was open. After explaining THEY had gutted it and that no sticker was even placed on the case to signify it was gutted, I was told I could only make an exchange.

This was December 26th. He honestly expected me to find SOMETHING worth getting in a tiny store a day after Christmas. I asked if it was possible to get it as store credit; no. Asked if I could use part of it for something and then get the rest as credit; no. Asked if I could use it on a gift card; no.

So my choices were either be stuck with the game or pick shit I really didn't want and be done with it. Roughly two hours had passed with me searching high and low to find anything decent that would be the same price as the game. I left with Portal, Counter-Strike Source (already had it, but the retail pack had Day of Defeat Source and Half-Life 2 Deathmatch) and Rome: Total War, much to my hesitation.

Sure enough, all of those games ended up being cheaper on Steam.

The worst part about it is that Borderlands isn't a PC title that uses activation keys. It actually requires the disc (not counting the digital version). I spoke with a district manager about it and they even knew this, but ended up telling me I was SoL either way because it was open.

As if selling off my pre-order for Left 4 Dead 2 AND the pre-order bonus wasn't enough.

fucking unbelievable.

I know you all hate on Gamestop but my local GS is awesome. Everyone that works there is a gamer, knows what's coming out and what the deals are. They except all my trades without question and they have never tried to sell me a gutted game as new.

TRU is my voted for worst B&M. My TRU never has games in stock, never gets new releases on release day, never has the games in the ad and nobody that works there knows if they are pitchin' or catchin'.

Gamestop, tired of them looking at me like i stole things when I just say I want to put the credit on my edge card. Just let me do it and stop with the preorder convos.

I would have to say Kmart. I was tempted to mention Wal-mart, but at least deals pop out every now and then. Kmart (and sometimes Sears) even sells games and consoles above the MSRP around here. For example, they have a certain game for $70.00 w/o tax, and they drop it to $60.00. showing it on a Sunday ad as a deal. They're still selling games like Bioshock for $56.00, which is ridiculous.

[quote name='Tsukento']GameStop

Received Borderlands on PC for Christmas. They gutted the copy. Because of the anti-piracy nonsense of needing the disc in the PC to play it and the fact that it was cheaper on Steam at the time, I attempted to return it for a refund.

Was told I had to wait for the manager, came back an hour later and asked him for the refund, only to be told I couldn't because it was open. After explaining THEY had gutted it and that no sticker was even placed on the case to signify it was gutted, I was told I could only make an exchange.

This was December 26th. He honestly expected me to find SOMETHING worth getting in a tiny store a day after Christmas. I asked if it was possible to get it as store credit; no. Asked if I could use part of it for something and then get the rest as credit; no. Asked if I could use it on a gift card; no.

So my choices were either be stuck with the game or pick shit I really didn't want and be done with it. Roughly two hours had passed with me searching high and low to find anything decent that would be the same price as the game. I left with Portal, Counter-Strike Source (already had it, but the retail pack had Day of Defeat Source and Half-Life 2 Deathmatch) and Rome: Total War, much to my hesitation.

Sure enough, all of those games ended up being cheaper on Steam.

The worst part about it is that Borderlands isn't a PC title that uses activation keys. It actually requires the disc (not counting the digital version). I spoke with a district manager about it and they even knew this, but ended up telling me I was SoL either way because it was open.

As if selling off my pre-order for Left 4 Dead 2 AND the pre-order bonus wasn't enough.

fucking unbelievable.[/QUOTE]

I would contact your state attorney general.

Gamestop although my local one is pretty good.

Selling opened games as new is as wrong today as it was all those years ago when they started the practice.

WTF!? Walmart didn't make the list (hands down my choice with the YMMV deals and crappy shopping environment and 3 cents off "deals"). So I had to go with the next best thing, Sears... I've been disappointed so many times there.

Though I could have gone with Kmart, too, for the crap they tried to pull on me with the return policy last year (tried to tell me the 90 days stated on the receipt wasn't true and gave me a huge argument about it over two cheap games). But I've gotten so many cheap games from Kmart over the years I can't quite put them there yet. If they have another year of crappy clearance deals like 2009, though, they might jump to the top.

I like Gamestop but sometimes I don't because there was couple of times I thought I'd buy brand new, sealed copies and they turned out to be gutted, re-sealed and they won't let me return for refund unless I traded it in for more than half the price I'd paid for which pretty much pissed me off. :bomb:

bread's done
Back