Worst B&M Game Retailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Voting is now open for Worst Brick & Mortar Retailer.
This award goes to the worst overall B&M (physical store) video game retailer in 2006.

Best Buy
Circuit City
GameStop / EB Games
Wal-Mart
Toys R Us

Gotta be EBGames for me. They still harrass you for preorders, they have more subscriptions and insurance than before (I think), and they still sell display copies as new games. There's a lot of other minor stuff as well, but they're just a shitty store overall.

Yeah I gotta go with Walmart too. With the majority of their deals being YMMV it ends up being mostly a cock tease any time a deal is posted from them on here.

Wow, this thread makes me realize that most of them really suck.

Let's not forget Best Buy, with their "devil customer" policy and stopping you at the door to make sure you're not a thief.

Then again, GGC is a godsend.

Not that I shop there for games, but the thought of going to Wal-Mart always makes me cringe.

If I had to choose a game-only type retailer, I'd have to go with EB, but only because the local one sucks. I've been to plenty of good ones, but I never have a pleasant experience at this one.

Wal-Mart. I shop there often for other things, but never purchase game stuff there. There's always better deals elsewhere and my local stores never have those great clearances I hear about.

Ugh, I'm disgusted with TRU.

Ugly staff, rude staff, horrid staff, no organization in the game section, mismarked games. Overall, ass.

You can't fault TRU for having a bad staff.. that has nothing to do with the store itself, just the manager for hiring them. Same with the games.. you can't fault them if they're sold out.

I'm going with EBGames/Gamestop

Walmart...such shitty selection, they never do price corrections half the time, not to mentionb that when you want to get a game out of the case, the employees are retarded as shit, even when you vividly describe the box.

Really its tie between them and Kmart, for the sheer fact that there is no orgnization what so ever. Makes it a pain the ass to find the sweet clreance titles

[quote name='Scorch']You can't fault TRU for having a bad staff.. that has nothing to do with the store itself, just the manager for hiring them. Same with the games.. you can't fault them if they're sold out.[/quote]

You almost have to pity them. Can you imagine how it must feel to work at TRU?

Walmart for a few reasons
1. tiny selection
2. bad prices (hardley ever a priceddrop- the have some 2002 ps1 football game that they still want $20 for).
3. All deals are YMMV.

Wal-Mart... if their crappy selection wasn't bad enough, their 'always low prices' is even worse.

Best Buy comes in a close second.

I would say TRU as well but I've made some great scores on their clearances plus their yearly B2G1 free sale is nice.

[quote name='botticus']Where's the love (hate?) for Circuit City? Worst game selection any day of the year.[/quote]Can't really hate on Circuit City as their clearances of the past have been so nice. Now if their summer clearance prices go to $16 rather than $8, my attitude may change.

From my experience, I'd have to go with Wally. Not a horrible selection, but I never see anything other than full MSRP on any games, no matter HOW old.

EB... they seriously need to start some sort of program to work on their employees interaction with the public, plus they need store rules so I don't have to walk in with people yelling all the time or babys chewing on Tomb Raider games.

Eb/GS hands down.
Overpriced on everything, pre-order and strat-guide pushing, disorganized used sections, crappy return policy, selling opened merchandise as new, etc...

It just doesn't get any worse than these people.

In my area, it's def. Wal-Mart. No rhyme or reason for the order of the games, only half the stuff has prices, games on thier side with the spines facing in so you have no idea you you're looking at, and even games stacked on top of toher games. I don't like the policies of other places but at least I can browse the games area without having psychic abilities.

Gamecrazy. The one I used to frequent made up bogus rules on lowered price games, has horrible selection and dickhead employees.

Circuit City....can't keep the shelves organized to save their lives. The video game section usually looks like a bomb went off.

TRU for me.

Terrible game selection, unorganized, and most of the time no one is even there to help you.

Second choice goes to Best Buy since there is never anyone there to help you when you actually need help.

i say gamestop/eb, the store that i go to seems to always trys and make you buy the stategy guide, magazine subscription, disc insurance, and all that junk with the game without taking no for an answer

second goes to walmart, the videogame guy at my local store is a freaking deaf grandpa! let the man retire in peace...:roll:

[quote name='gamereviewgod']K-Mart. No orginization whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

In general I would agree with you there, but the lack of organization means there's a much higher chance of finding some of those hidden clearance gems. So in a way, this actually makes them one of the BEST B&M retailers. :lol: But it is only because of the ongoing clearance that they even come close - without that they'd be utterly useless (disorganized, no regular sales, hard to find employees to open the cases, etc).

[quote name='botticus']Where's the love (hate?) for Circuit City? Worst game selection any day of the year.[/quote]
Exactly. Most any good deal that I don't get in on right away forces me to take the ad to a nearby BB to pricematch. Short supply, disorganization, and a lack of presence by staff make for a bad store.

Fortunately, it seems like CC's finally shaping up this year as the games were pretty much in alphabetical order now. Supply is another question all together.

I'd also throw K-Mart in there, but I hardly ever go, which may be the cause for that. Worst staff of any store I've ever been in. They just aren't there.

Gamestop because the local employee put the soccer mom ahead of me when I once waited the longest to be helped. I walked out and hardly ever go back! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back