X-MEN First Class (June 3, 2011) - Reviews are a Homerun hit with Critics (Score 88%)

Realized after the credits this is a Fox movie, not a Marvel Studios one, so that's why there's no extra scene or Stan Lee cameo.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Realized after the credits this is a Fox movie, not a Marvel Studios one, so that's why there's no extra scene or Stan Lee cameo.[/QUOTE]

I thought Stan came out and said he wasn't in it because of scheduling conflicts.

Yeah Fox still has the X-Men rights I beleive, explains a lot. Marvel seems to be better at making movies based on their characters, go figure.

I liked this movie, except for Emma Frost I thought it was fairly well cast.

Awesome fucking cameo in this one, I gotta say. Theater was lolling for a while.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Realized after the credits this is a Fox movie, not a Marvel Studios one, so that's why there's no extra scene or Stan Lee cameo.[/QUOTE]

Stan Lee had a cameo in at least the first and third X-Men movies (not sure about the second). Also, there was an after-credits scene in both the X3 and Wolverine movies.

An after credits scene with Darwin would have really gone lengths towards the sequel (i.e. something with him/Krakoa, etc. It was would have been a nice teaser/stinger at the end and helped bring some closure to that loose end/tease us for a future film).

[quote name='IRHari']I liked this movie, except for Emma Frost I thought it was fairly well cast.

Awesome fucking cameo in this one, I gotta say. Theater was lolling for a while.[/QUOTE]
It just didn't make any sense to me. I mean it was a nice little "whoa" moment, but made no sense to me.

At the end of the movie, the two sides for the sequel were a bit imbalance (X-Men with 4 and Brotherhood with 6), so I think an after credit scene showing Professor X going to recruit another mutant child (perhaps Storm since she had a cameo in the movie) would have fit nicely.

Although, they wanted to stay away from the big-name characters in the movie to focus on Xavier and Magneto. The new mutants in the sequel may be more of the lesser known characters.

I really enjoyed this movie. I thought it was on par with X-men 1 and 2.
I paticularly the two leads actors playing Prof X and Magneto.

[quote name='Clak']Yeah that
Wolverine
cameo seemed kinda forced, especially since it seemed like they'd met for the first time in the first movie. I would think Charles would remember that.
[/QUOTE]

I disagree. There was about 3 decades between "Xmen-First Class" and "Xmen 1". It is possible that Charles would not remember this event.

I like to add that there are a lot of things I liked about the movie:

1. I loved the scene where Magneto attacks the boat with the anchor chain.

2. The scene where Beast transforms. I like the fact that the camera doesn't show the actual transformation but it shows the damage being done to the lab. That was a well-directed scene.

3. I especially like the fact that both Magneto and Xavier had different upbringings and it colored their viewpoints of the world. Both are not good/evil necessarily but flawed characters. That made them more interesting to me.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']I thought Stan came out and said he wasn't in it because of scheduling conflicts.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I thought so too. I think it was on his twitter.

I Saw it today with friends. I Liked it. I'd rank it somewhere between second X-Men movie and the first and I liked the cameos.

So this brings up one off topic question, excluding Godfather II and the Indiana Jones movies, is this the BEST prequel movie yet? Because thinking now every prequel I've seen from Star Wars to every terrible horror movie that tried justifying the motives of the killer have been god awful.

[quote name='Clak']Yeah Fox still has the X-Men rights I beleive, explains a lot. Marvel seems to be better at making movies based on their characters, go figure.[/QUOTE]

They're also great at making terrible movies based off their characters.

This movie IMO is better than all of Marvels movies in the past few years.

[quote name='Xevious']I really enjoyed this movie. I thought it was on par with X-men 1 and 2.
I paticularly the two leads actors playing Prof X and Magneto.

I disagree. There was about 3 decades between "Xmen-First Class" and "Xmen 1". It is possible that Charles would not remember this event.[/QUOTE]
You're talking about someone with enhanced mental abilities, if he can bring to the surface repressed memories of other people I'd think he'd be able to remember meeting Logan. Honestly, it was just done as a nod to fans of the other movies, that's it.

The timeline in this makes no sense anyway. In Last Stand it showed Xavier and Erik recruiting Jean as older men, well unless they somehow kiss and make up, that isn't going to happen after this film.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Saw it today with friends. I Liked it. I'd rank it somewhere between second X-Men movie and the first and I liked the cameos.

So this brings up one off topic question, excluding Godfather II and the Indiana Jones movies, is this the BEST prequel movie yet? Because thinking now every prequel I've seen from Star Wars to every terrible horror movie that tried justifying the motives of the killer have been god awful.[/QUOTE]

Probably, I hated Temple of Doom and was never a fan of the Godfather movies. While I liked the Star Wars prequels for what they were, X-Men First Class is probably the best so far (until The Hobbit comes out).

[quote name='whoknows']They're also great at making terrible movies based off their characters.

This movie IMO is better than all of Marvels movies in the past few years.[/QUOTE]

I still think I enjoyed Thor more. Besides that and Iron Man 1, Marvel hasn't released a really good super hero movie in a while so it's nice to finally get a bunch of quality movies in a short period of time (I think Cap is going to be great as well).

[quote name='whoknows']They're also great at making terrible movies based off their characters.

This movie IMO is better than all of Marvels movies in the past few years.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, Iron Man blows this out of the water, and the X-Men were always my favorite Marvel characters, but the movies have just been sub-par so far. I wish Marvel would just do a good direct to dvd animated movie, DC has had a lot of success with that.

[quote name='Clak']You're talking about someone with enhanced mental abilities, if he can bring to the surface repressed memories of other people I'd think he'd be able to remember meeting Logan. Honestly, it was just done as a nod to fans of the other movies, that's it.

The timeline in this makes no sense anyway. In Last Stand it showed Xavier and Erik recruiting Jean as older men, well unless they somehow kiss and make up, that isn't going to happen after this film.[/QUOTE]

I think we're supposed to forget Last Stand happened. Much like Rocky 5.

I loved the cameo. It's not impossible that it couldve happened.

[quote name='iversonwii']I think we're supposed to forget Last Stand happened. Much like Rocky 5.

I loved the cameo. It's not impossible that it couldve happened.[/QUOTE]

This movie is flowing with continuity flaws, same with the Wolverine movie, so I'd call First Class a very loose prequel. It's kind of stupid to pick out the cameo to go crazy over by portraying it as the biggest flaw when it's obviously only in there to be a funny scene.

While I like Iron Man more than this, it hardly blows it out of the water. The characters in First Class are much more tolerable. All Downey does is ramble and talk over every other character in both Iron Man movies, I like him better when he doesn't speak as much (which is never). If the main character in a movie is that annoying, that's not good.

Tony Stark has an ego the size of a room, that's just his personality, which Downey did a good job portraying. If he'd been quiet and introverted it would have made no sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ITDEFX']spoiler tag please!!!!

some people haven't seen it yet......... I was really tempted to see this last night after work as my work place was 10 mins from the movie theater....but I was too tired.[/QUOTE]

This happens in the first two minutes of the film, and is not a plot twist of any kind. Relax.

It was good. Fassbender, McAvoy and Bacon are especially charming in their roles, and the majority of the supporting cast is equally as effective. I applaud them for managing to get all this story in to one movie and not stretching it out more than I guess they felt they needed to, but certain aspects of the secondary plot would have been better served by a series of films (which they are going to do, but I feel they've already blown some important moments too early).

Two things are really sticking in my craw.

1) Anything involving codenames and the phrase "X-Men" feels EXTREMELY contrived and groan worthy.
2) They can't seem to decide whether its reboot or a prequel. I could care less if they get the comic continuity correct, but its really annoying to me when a film series can't even be bothered to get its own shit right. There are too many things that outright contradict the other movies with no reasonable explanation for it to be a true prequel, but too many direct references to things that will happen in these characters movie-futures for it to be a reboot.

I thought the portrayal of Shaw was horrible personally. Not Bacon's fault, they just didn't do the character justice.

Fassbender was outstanding as Magneto. The movie had way to much cheese though. All of the dopey call-forwards. DON'T MESS UP MAI HAIR HAR HAR. HERP DERP I'M GON' BE BALD IN THE FUTURE LOLZ. Cheese aside, It was decent.

[quote name='Clak']Tony Stark has an ego the size of a room, that's just his personality, which Downey did a good job portraying. If he'd been quiet and introverted it would have made no sense.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but he could have toned it down at least a little bit. It became completely intolerable. Remember that scene in 2 where he went to Pepper's office and gave her strawberries? He could have easily went in there and saw his dad's model and walked out with it, instead they rambled and talked over each other for 5 minutes in one of the worst scenes in a movie ever. Those are NOT good characters.

I ended up seeing this last night and I quite enjoyed it actually.

It's too bad it was never explained how the Helmet was made...

The cameo's were nice.

The movie does throw off some of the stuff from the Xmen trilogy and Wolverine.
Since it was planned to make this part of a trilogy, honestly it would have been better if the 3rd movie would have ended with Charles getting paralyzed instead of the first one (of First class). This would make things "OK" when we see Charles walking normally in X3 and in Wolverine.

The writers know that comic nerds scrutinize this shit all the time...yet they made a big oops.

[quote name='Clak']This wasn't made for comic nerds, they didn't make a mistake, it was intentional.[/QUOTE]

so......it's a reboot then rather than a prequel?

Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, and Thor were all pretty solid Marvel movies.

Pretty much, a prequel would imply that there is progression from the past to the present, when there isn't. There really isn't any way, at least that makes sense, to go from this movie to the original 3. Not after that flashback scene in Last Stand.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']
Did anyone notice
When Charlies uses Cerebro to look for mutants they pass by what appears a young Storm writing in a journal
[/QUOTE]

There was also a boy with sunglasses
Cyclops?
during the Cerebro scene.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Think if anything we can all just agree that the third X-Men movie NEVER happend. It's better this way.[/QUOTE]

I took that stance the day after I saw X-Men 3.

i saw it last night and enjoyed it for what it was. When my friend told me all about the origins of characters and their interactions, he said it was pretty loyal to the comics (of the movies so far) and that made me pretty happy. but overall, yeah, enjoyed it :)

we actually sat through till the end and didn't see anything unfortunately :(

[quote name='supermodestmouse']i saw it last night and enjoyed it for what it was. When my friend told me all about the origins of characters and their interactions, he said it was pretty loyal to the comics (of the movies so far) and that made me pretty happy. but overall, yeah, enjoyed it :)

we actually sat through till the end and didn't see anything unfortunately :([/QUOTE]

Yea there were like almost 100 people staying after the credits to see what would show up at the end... I was tempted to say, "There is NO AFTER CREDITS SCENE PEOPLE!" lol

[quote name='yellowaznboy']There was also a boy with sunglasses
Cyclops?
during the Cerebro scene.[/QUOTE]

Yes I noticed that as well.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Yea there were like almost 100 people staying after the credits to see what would show up at the end... I was tempted to say, "There is NO AFTER CREDITS SCENE PEOPLE!" lol[/QUOTE]

Just leave them. Get out of the parking lot quicker.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']Just leave them. Get out of the parking lot quicker.[/QUOTE]

Yea I am pretty sure they would have been pissed after the credits to find nothing.

We stayed, no issues. Less bs to walk through and just as easy to leave... Friend's wife was the one that insisted we stay.

I enjoyed the Wolverine movie, but then again I never read any Wolverine comics. The X-Men films were too kiddy for me and this one is of zero interest as I don't care about emo teens being angsty on the big screen. This quote from the FLICK review is enough to turn me off of the movie permanently: "...when she begins to enjoy a “normal” teen crush experience with another mutant...".

I want movies with 3 things: blood, boobs, and big-ass explosions. This has none of those based on the trailers.

[quote name='pjarvi']I enjoyed the Wolverine movie, but then again I never read any Wolverine comics. The X-Men films were too kiddy for me and this one is of zero interest as I don't care about emo teens being angsty on the big screen. This quote from the FLICK review is enough to turn me off of the movie permanently: "...when she begins to enjoy a “normal” teen crush experience with another mutant...".

I want movies with 3 things: blood, boobs, and big-ass explosions. This has none of those based on the trailers.
[/QUOTE]

Umm...nice way to put yourself off from a movie. I went and saw it last Friday, and I'm pretty sure I didn't really see anything that would qualify as emo teens in the film.

Speaking of credits, we stayed for the extra clip at the end of On Stranger Tides and started to read the credits. They list anyone and everyone in it. Does Mr. Depps personal driver really deserve to be listed?

I just can't bring myself to watch this. From what I hear the inconsistencies are just too much. I mean for one thing wouldn't beast be 70ish in the other three movies? If he's 20-something in this film, set in 1962, he'd be 70+ in X-2.

As a fan of the comics I just can't make myself watch this garbage.

[quote name='pjarvi']I enjoyed the Wolverine movie, but then again I never read any Wolverine comics. The X-Men films were too kiddy for me and this one is of zero interest as I don't care about emo teens being angsty on the big screen. This quote from the FLICK review is enough to turn me off of the movie permanently: "...when she begins to enjoy a “normal” teen crush experience with another mutant...".

[/QUOTE]

That post gave me cancer.

[quote name='pjarvi']

[/QUOTE]

22330609_january-jones-emma-frost-first-class.jpg

january-jones-emma-frost-00.jpg
Whatever you say....

[quote name='pjarvi']

[/QUOTE]

Then you must have watched Transformers 2 several times huh? :p

[quote name='praxus07']I just can't bring myself to watch this. From what I hear the inconsistencies are just too much. I mean for one thing wouldn't beast be 70ish in the other three movies? If he's 20-something in this film, set in 1962, he'd be 70+ in X-2.

As a fan of the comics I just can't make myself watch this garbage.[/QUOTE]

They kind of explain that and Mystique's age in the film (though not very well and essentially could be used as a blanket explanation for anyone in the series)

Saw first class last night, it was fucking awesome. Better than the previous xmen movies and I enjoyed those a lot(dont hate).

[quote name='supermodestmouse']When my friend told me all about the origins of characters and their interactions, he said it was pretty loyal to the comics (of the movies so far) and that made me pretty happy. [/QUOTE]

Why? I'm not trying to bait you or anything, but the fact that you had to have all those irrelevant connections explained to you tells me that you don't even read the comics, so why did it affect your emotions at all, let alone make you happy?

I ask that because this movie isn't even faithful to the film series' continuity, let alone the comics (not a bad thing, still liked it), so I didn't want it to, y'know, make you sad or anything.

bread's done
Back