X-MEN First Class (June 3, 2011) - Reviews are a Homerun hit with Critics (Score 88%)

Regarding X3 continuity error

There's no arguing that there isn't a way to resolve Prof. X walking the simple fact that Magneto and Professor X are together is possible. At the end of First Class we're left with an icy relationship between X and Magneto but it isn't entirely unbelievable that they would still be antagonistic with each other but not necessarily openly fighting each other. Certainly enough such that one could make the argument that they would go together to see a child with such a high level of power.
I'll be the first to admit that explanation is a bit contrived but all in all there weren't too many glaring continuity errors with this film and it certainly could fit in with the first 2 movies. The thing about
Wolverine's
scene is that, like someone mentioned,
that happened 30+ years before the first X-men and at a time when X was meeting a lot of new mutants. I highly doubt he would remember meeting Wolverine AND he didn't even get a good look at Wolverine's face.

Overall, I have to agree with reviews that this stands among Marvel's best films, but certainly falls short of the king (Dark Knight).

[quote name='Clak']Sorry, Iron Man blows this out of the water, and the X-Men were always my favorite Marvel characters, but the movies have just been sub-par so far. I wish Marvel would just do a good direct to dvd animated movie, DC has had a lot of success with that.[/QUOTE]

Iron Man was fine, but it didn't really impress me. I put that in the category of good for a comic book movie.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, and Thor were all pretty solid Marvel movies.[/QUOTE]

They're all solid, but I think First Class is better. It was just better at telling a story and flowed better than those IMO.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Jesus Christ, isn't First Class a new series? Stop talking about the old movies and "continuity" problems when there aren't any.[/QUOTE]

Its a new series but it's still a prequel to the original movies.

A) Hugh Jackman as Wolverine
B) Same exact opening scene in this as the first X-men to the point that the director was specifically matching the scene when it was shot
C) Mystique looks *exactly* the same as the original movies and the brief cameo of Rebecca Romijn as Mystique
D) Magneto's helmet is nearly the exact same design as the original movies

Those are the connections I can think of off the top of my head

It would be hard to call it a complete re-boot of X-men with so many intended ties to the original trilogy of films. So yeah, it is a new series but it's also a prequel.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RedvsBlue'] The thing about
Wolverine's
scene is that, like someone mentioned,
that happened 30+ years before the first X-men and at a time when X was meeting a lot of new mutants. I highly doubt he would remember meeting Wolverine AND he didn't even get a good look at Wolverine's face.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Its a new series but it's still a prequel to the original movies.

A) Hugh Jackman as Wolverine
B) Same exact opening scene in this as the first X-men to the point that the director was specifically matching the scene when it was shot
C) Mystique looks *exactly* the same as the original movies and the brief cameo of Rebecca Romijn as Mystique
D) Magneto's helmet is nearly the exact same design as the original movies

Those are the connections I can think of off the top of my head

It would be hard to call it a complete re-boot of X-men with so many intended ties to the original trilogy of films. So yeah, it is a new series but it's also a prequel.[/QUOTE]

Just because there's some cameos and some of the same aesthetics doesn't mean it's a prequel.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Just because there's some cameos and some of the same aesthetics doesn't mean it's a prequel.[/QUOTE]

Well, who's to say that it's not? There's enough tying it to the original movies, and with a little nerd work, almost all of the "continuity errors" can be explained. I don't care if some one behind the scenes says it's a new series -- it's not like there was an adult Cyclops running around in the 60s blowing holes in the walls, or Iceman starting a relationship with Angel. There was nothing glaring on screen that screamed at me "DIFFERENT CONTINUITY, BITCH!"

[quote name='PR Mega X']Well, who's to say that it's not? There's enough tying it to the original movies, and with a little nerd work, almost all of the "continuity errors" can be explained. I don't care if some one behind the scenes says it's a new series -- it's not like there was an adult Cyclops running around in the 60s blowing holes in the walls, or Iceman starting a relationship with Angel. There was nothing glaring on screen that screamed at me "DIFFERENT CONTINUITY, BITCH!"[/QUOTE]

Precisely, there isn't enough differences to say that this is an entirely new continuity/re-boot. The differences are very minor and seemingly unintentional or unavoidable. I don't dispute that its a new series but to call it a complete re-boot with no connection to the original is going a bit far. If they had wanted to completely re-boot the series, like you said they would have had all the "original" First Class in there such as Cyclops and Ice Man. There was the reason to make them minor characters to focus on X and Magneto but they could have just as easily focused on those 2 with Ice Man and Cyclops in the mix.

Why don't you people go look up some interviews with the director and writers? I'm sure they've addressed the prequel/reboot topic in an interview somewhere.

I don't mind the errors and you can't really deny the movie is connected to the original trilogy. The movie was a great if you take it for what it is and not dissect it. Though I'll admit I was getting annoyed when my friends would say Havok is Cyclops' dad. The only thing I thought was a mistake was they used Emma again after a young Emma appeared in Wolverine.

[quote name='CouRageouS']The only thing I thought was a mistake was they used Emma again after a young Emma appeared in Wolverine.[/QUOTE]

I just assumed the Wolverine one was a clone. Makes sense given the plot of that movie.

[quote name='Magus8472']I just assumed the Wolverine one was a clone. Makes sense given the plot of that movie.[/QUOTE]

Dear God don't alert the writers/directors/producers to any ideas like that...

Seen it.

Definately the best story they have had yet. the FX was great, not over the top. It truly felt like a proper film. It set the tone of the whole marvel universe and bravo on that one.

I hope there will be more from this.

I know there is an avengers story floating around, but I would love a crossover... maybe a two parter, against someone/thing great.

Hell... maybe we'll get a Mr Sinister or Apocalypse for them to totally shit over. That would be so sad, they would rape it to hell.

Shaw was perfect for Bacon, and Bacon was perfect for Shaw. I think more could have been done to flesh out his background and the hellfire club, but it was solid the way they made it so.

I am in the minority. I wasn't compelled and drawn deep into the story (although it was nearly 2hr30mins) Not sure why, but I was expecting something more badass and darker than the previous three movies considering this is a reboot.

And no intro to iceman and cyclops? Darn... The modern day comic books are sooo gruesome and detailed with graphics and emotion. First Class just doesn't translate... Just my opinion. :)

It was a sterilized teen version of the origin of the X-Men. The movie was just bad, not that the others were great.

[quote name='StarKnightX'] well , besides
killing Darwin aka Token Black Guy.
. [/QUOTE]

They also did a closeup on his face when Shaw was talking about "enslavement". Racist director?

[quote name='Bezerker']They also did a closeup on his face when Shaw was talking about "enslavement". Racist director?[/QUOTE]

I can't believe they
killed off the black guy first
... in fact he was one of the only mutants to die.

I totally thought this was a prequel, all the things mentioned above plus the overall tone of the film just screamed it.

I thought it was decent and that's it. There were enough moments that I could enjoy. I remember some reviewers thought this was on par with Dark Night though. Whoever thinks that is the case must be smoking gasoline.

Meh not the best Marvel movie I'd seen. They really butchered the origins and the formation of the original team. I'd say it was on par with Wolverine, it was entertaining but I wasn't wowed.

[quote name='DestroVega']^ Wolverine was a total steaming pile of shit, from the story to CGI to acting.

This was none of those things.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I still don't know why people base so much of their opinion on these comic movies on how close they are to the comics. If that's the guiding principle then Dark Knight must be a huge piece of shit because that story isn't even remotely related to the comics.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Agreed.

I still don't know why people base so much of their opinion on these comic movies on how close they are to the comics. If that's the guiding principle then Dark Knight must be a huge piece of shit because that story isn't even remotely related to the comics.[/QUOTE]

you do have a point. I guess the originals had more substance than today's iterations and story lines. I dunno, it's a total toss up. Marvel is more popular than anything.

They need to bring back X-MEN on Fox again. =P

I am not a comic book aficionado; I grew up watching Batman with Adam West, but that's about it. Can someone briefly explain why the Wolverine movie is considered so bad. I enjoyed the movie. Is it that it was not true to story established in the comic books, or the acting or casting or special effects?

[quote name='cheapfrag']I am not a comic book aficionado; I grew up watching Batman with Adam West, but that's about it. Can someone briefly explain why the Wolverine movie is considered so bad. I enjoyed the movie. Is it that it was not true to story established in the comic books, or the acting or casting or special effects?[/QUOTE]

Did you like Transformers 2?

[quote name='tcrash247']Did you like Transformers 2?[/QUOTE]

Haven't seen it. I appreciate your answer to my question though... oh wait, you didn't provide an answer.

[quote name='cheapfrag']Haven't seen it. I appreciate your answer to my question though... oh wait, you didn't provide an answer.[/QUOTE]

Usually people who like a shit movie can't be made to understand why it's shit so I won't bother going into it. I'll just say, the entire thing is a huge clump of shit, every aspect of it. But you should check out Transformers 2, you'd love it.

[quote name='tcrash247']Usually people who like a shit movie can't be made to understand why it's shit so I won't bother going into it. I'll just say, the entire thing is a huge clump of shit, every aspect of it. But you should check out Transformers 2, you'd love it.[/QUOTE]

Why do you have to be a jerk? To feel superior on the internet? I saw Wolverine with my daughter because she liked wolverine when we played Marvel Ultimate Alliance on the PS3. I enjoyed the movie. I was just wondering why all the hate about the movie.

@cheapfrag, because the internet is for flaming. Honestly though, it depends on how you go into a movie. If you have nothing invested in a movie, knowledge or anything else, then movies based off of books and comics don't matter, and you interpret the movie based solely on the movie. Comic book fans will tell you how terrible most comic book movies, much like how some people will tell you how much a movie sucked based off of their reading of the book first. If you enjoyed it, good for you, that's all that really matters.

Transformers 2 was probably the worst movie I ever saw, and I didn't even pay to see it. The movie had no redeeming qualities about it. X-Men: First Class, felt almost as bad to me. Don't get me wrong, it was nowhere near as bad as the third X-Men movie, but almost on par. The characters they chose to use were the most useless and boring bunch of kids. The actors and script leave you completely uninterested and inable to emotionally connect with any of them.

The only part of that movie that was entertaining (besides the Wolverine cameo, that was pretty funny) was Magneto. Aside from his scenes, it was all teenager mush. "Guys, we've trained so hard this last WEEK"... ugh. If you liked it, good for you. I was never big on comics, but when did Beast become a cat? I'm assuming that comes from comic book design somewhere, otherwise Marvel would never have approved it. What happened to the hulking gorilla with fangs? Much more badass.

Save yourself the money and wait for Captain America if you want a comic book movie. I'm crossing my fingers that it's as good as I want it to be.

[quote name='cheapfrag']I am not a comic book aficionado; I grew up watching Batman with Adam West, but that's about it. Can someone briefly explain why the Wolverine movie is considered so bad. I enjoyed the movie. Is it that it was not true to story established in the comic books, or the acting or casting or special effects?[/QUOTE]

Personally, my problems with Wolverine had nothing to do with its authenticity to the comics and everything to do with it coming across as a hammy story. For me it particularly fell apart at the end when Deadpool showed up.

Let me get this straight, he has retractable swords in his arms but he can somehow bend his arms while the knives are retracted? Granted, that is a minor thing but it shows they were more concerned with making a cheesy villain than making a good movie. Another good part toward the end was when they were on 3 Mile Island and Stryker was given the mental command to start walking (guess there was a deleted scene where they told him to take the bridge). Then there's the Deadpool decapitation scene, pure cheese.

Overall, it just felt like too hokey of a movie with no redeeming qualities or interesting characters. That's just my opinion though, I'm not purporting to criticize anyone who does like the film or act like my taste in movies are in any way superior to anyone else. There's plenty of "bad" movies that I enjoy quite a bit (Armageddon, Con Air, Saw series, Wanted, and plenty of others) but I don't let that affect my opinion of the movies and I will keep watching them.

[quote name='cheapfrag']Why do you have to be a jerk? To feel superior on the internet? I saw Wolverine with my daughter because she liked wolverine when we played Marvel Ultimate Alliance on the PS3. I enjoyed the movie. I was just wondering why all the hate about the movie.[/QUOTE]
I enjoyed the movie... until near the end when Wolverine arrived at Stryker Island... then the film just fell apart for me.

Maybe because I'm a fan of the comic books and when Ryan Reynold's Deadpool(ed) came out, it just didn't feel right at all.

Wolverine was terrible because of the following reasons-

1) the special effects were terrible. How did Wolverines retractable claws go from looking real in the X-Men movies, to looking like some Roger Rabbit cartoon claw in Wolverine?

2) the acting. Aside from Jackman, it was some of the worst around (First Class suffers from January Jones, she was horrid, but everyone else was up to the task)

3) The characters themselves. I don't expect comic movies to stick EXACT to the stories, but all of a sudden now Wolverine and Sabertooth are brothers? they were fighting in the first X-Men though and now the story is totally different. Deadpool was just thrown in and was an awful character how they used him. Gambit finally shows up, something we've been waiting for for forever, and they totally drop the ball. it was all just terrible.

If I were Jackman, there is no way I would have signed on with the script they shot. It's horrid.

I'm sorry, If anyone thinks First Class is on par with Wolverine or Last Stand, you are just trying to fool yourselves.

The sad thing is, Aronofsky would have redeemed Wolverine, but he proved yet again he will always just be an art-house director. He makes great movies, but he can't handle the major leagues.

Well after the Origin comic it was revealed that they were brothers I think, but since they didn't go that way in the first movie, for continuity sake they shouldn't have gone that way in Wolverine.

edit- Or not, I could swear in the Origin comic they made Dog a young Sabretooth, guess not.

I Just enjoy Sabertooth went from that to just blonde, long haired and black eyed mutant for really no reason. They could've really just gone with he tried doing the Weapon X program on him and save themselves the embarrassment of the shit stain of a Deadpool and all those dumb ass subplots, but then again we wouldn't be having the conversation we're having now. Also how they decide to give Wolverine amnesia was stupid as hell. As in last second as they were writing that abomination of a script someone realized "OH SHIT! WE GOTTA TALK ABOUT HOW HE LOST HIS MEMORY! Plus I'm too lazy to add it when he's getting Adamantium reprogramming...uh, just add a gun in there somehow and make it work!" And Wolverine can't tell his girlfriend is dead and Wolverine in a boxing match against the Blob. Really?

That movie was made solely to make money, with no mind paid towards any existing fans. In other words, they made it in the same way they do most comic movies.

[quote name='Clak']That movie was made solely to make money, with no mind paid towards any existing fans. In other words, they made it in the same way they do most comic movies.[/QUOTE]
But they made it good... surprisingly GOOD.

And that's what counts.

In all honesty, I wasn't expecting much from X-Men First Class, but the positive buzz made me check it out, and I'm glad I did.

Besides, all movies like these are in businesses of making money. Fox could've gone the WB route with Jonah Hex to make their money, but didn't.

I was actually talking about Wolverine, but I guess I feel about the same way about this movie too. Batman Begins and Dark Knight were good movies, period. They were made for a different audience, people who actually liked the characters and comics. They were hits and didn't have be loaded up with crappy effects or CGI to be hits. they had a good story with good actors and enough action to keep things interesting, I wish I could say that about most comic movies.

[quote name='Clak']I was actually talking about Wolverine, but I guess I feel about the same way about this movie too. Batman Begins and Dark Knight were good movies, period. They were made for a different audience, people who actually liked the characters and comics. They were hits and didn't have be loaded up with crappy effects or CGI to be hits. they had a good story with good actors and enough action to keep things interesting, I wish I could say that about most comic movies.[/QUOTE]

amen brother. Any good story is worth it.
Same with games. The PS2 days of Final Fantasy. Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater...

I'm one of the few that Aviator didn't hit me as "wow."

[quote name='bardockkun']I Just enjoy Sabertooth went from that to just blonde, long haired and black eyed mutant for really no reason. They could've really just gone with he tried doing the Weapon X program on him and save themselves the embarrassment of the shit stain of a Deadpool and all those dumb ass subplots, but then again we wouldn't be having the conversation we're having now. Also how they decide to give Wolverine amnesia was stupid as hell. As in last second as they were writing that abomination of a script someone realized "OH SHIT! WE GOTTA TALK ABOUT HOW HE LOST HIS MEMORY! Plus I'm too lazy to add it when he's getting Adamantium reprogramming...uh, just add a gun in there somehow and make it work!" And Wolverine can't tell his girlfriend is dead and Wolverine in a boxing match against the Blob. Really?[/QUOTE]

God, I had forgotten the boxing match...

I know that it was a joke, but Avatar really was Dances with Smurfs. I tried to show somebody it was just Dances with Wolves in a sci-fi setting, but they just couldn't see it.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']God, I had forgotten the boxing match...[/QUOTE]
Will.i.am was unnecessary too, he was only in it to lend celebrity to the movie. He never even did anyhting really important in the movie.

[quote name='Clak']I was actually talking about Wolverine, but I guess I feel about the same way about this movie too. Batman Begins and Dark Knight were good movies, period. They were made for a different audience, people who actually liked the characters and comics. They were hits and didn't have be loaded up with crappy effects or CGI to be hits. they had a good story with good actors and enough action to keep things interesting, I wish I could say that about most comic movies.[/QUOTE]

I think it should also be said that comic books just don't work as movies. The vast majority of comics have such an over the top imagery about them that they just don't translate realistically to film.

This touches on your point a little bit in that they really toned down the comic book imagery of Dark Knight/Batman Begins which is also part of the reason why it worked so well.

A good example highlighting what I'm saying would be Batman Forever or Batman & Robin. Those 2 movies have imagery that is ripped right from the comic books. The costumes, the villains, everything looks like it came right out of comic book and as a result there was just no way to take those films seriously. Of course, the "so what"-ness of the storylines didn't help those films either but the imagery is what initially pulls you out of it.

[quote name='Clak']Will.i.am was unnecessary too, he was only in it to lend celebrity to the movie. He never even did anyhting really important in the movie.[/QUOTE]

One could say the same of Hugh Jackman...

OH SNAP!

Well now Batman Begins was based somewhat on Batman Year One. Some of the comics themselves have gotten more practical too. Even GL could have been done better. Sci-fi movies can be serious and believable, they just take a little more work, and they apparently weren't willing to put that much effort into it. Even the X-Men movies could have been better if they simply had been given a more serious tone.

[quote name='Clak']Well now Batman Begins was based somewhat on Batman Year One. Some of the comics themselves have gotten more practical too. Even GL could have been done better. Sci-fi movies can be serious and believable, they just take a little more work, and they apparently weren't willing to put that much effort into it. Even the X-Men movies could have been better if they simply had been given a more serious tone.[/QUOTE]

That's the only thing that differs between the two movies, that X-men threw a few laughs.

I don't think I've ever laughed in the Dark Knight.

I really don't know if I'd want that serious of an Xmen movie, considering there are some funny mutants..... I mean, what would they seriously do with a Deadpool movie?!

[quote name='xycury']That's the only thing that differs between the two movies, that X-men threw a few laughs.

I don't think I've ever laughed in the Dark Knight.

I really don't know if I'd want that serious of an Xmen movie, considering there are some funny mutants..... I mean, what would they seriously do with a Deadpool movie?![/QUOTE]

If you didn't laugh during "You wanna see a magic trick?" then you're far too serious of a person.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']If you didn't laugh during "You wanna see a magic trick?" then you're far too serious of a person.[/QUOTE]

Ah I forgot about that one.... ok, 1 time.

But the point still stands, Dark Knight was super serious....

bread's done
Back