XBL DotW Sales 2012 |- CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
While CS:GO can still be fun on consoles if you adjust the sens. and control scheme, it's a complete laggy, buggy, ugly mess comparing to the PC version. I was still able to dominate 2 full rounds of Arms Race and unlocked 2 achievements and about 10 badges in a single round; however, coming off of playing it on PC with how smooth it is graphically, and how well it controls and how little lag there is (or frames dropping), it's hard to go back to playing it on a console.

Though, I know a lot of people who don't PC game, so I bought it mainly to play with them. It's not horrible, but the PC version blows it completely out of the water.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Are the GOD daily deals 7 days a week? I've only started to notice them and was curious if they are consistently having daily GOD deals or if it comes and goes without much rhyme or reason.[/QUOTE]

I try to track these as much as possible and tag them with GOD on xbldb.com:
http://xbldb.com/deal-tag/games-on-demand

I think i didn't tag some but that is a fairly complete list. The seem to do 1 days sales fro one week then 1 or two weeks of 1 sale that week.

SWTFU seems to be a 1 week sale.

Finally got to spend some time with Dead Block (played the first 3 levels), and I gotta say, I don't know how anybody could not like the game. If people went crazy over Plants vs Zombies for being a different approach to tower defense, then Dead Block has to get some credit for that too. It feels like a bunch of different genres mixed into one game. Overall, it's tower defense...but you accomplish defending that tower by using elements from action games, adventure games, rhythm games, etc.

On top of that, the graphics and presentation are very solid, in an intentionally campy, Night of the Living Dead meets Monster House kind of way. The humor was also very reminiscent of Stubbs the Zombie with the general art design and the dramatic voice overs. To me, it just feels like a game that a lot of effort was put into, and that's something I appreciate...as opposed to some of the cash grabs we see on XBLA. The game seemed easily worth it at $5, and getting 4 more maps + humorous intros for $1.50, that was a no brainer as well. I'd definitely recommend people at least give the demo a look.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']The humor was also very reminiscent of Stubbs the Zombie with the general art design and the dramatic voice overs.[/QUOTE]

Stubbs is one of my favorite games last-gen. If I hadn't already bought Dead Block from this deal than this sentence alone would have sold me. So glad it is backwards compatible.

[quote name='harry hood']if i'm not mistaken, dead block does not have online co-op and thats a deal breaker for me[/QUOTE]
Online coop would have been nice but the cpu is fairly competent. :) Plus you have an added control advantage by being able to call you friends into the rooms with you.

[quote name='Hyunkel']Is the Star Wars Force Unleashed II deal US only?

It's still showing at $20 on my canadian dashboard.[/QUOTE]

make an american xbox gamertag and download with that. that is what i did and i am from australia where i cant even purchase this game on games on demand

[quote name='Royal High Knight']Is there a special sale going on, that I dont know about? :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

Just the current deal of the week. I thought someone mentioned earlier in the topic that they noticed all the games were developed or published by European companies, but I can't find it except in the updated OP.

Out of curiousity, how long do the "loser" deals last in the Sales & Specials App? I'm contemplating Bomberman Battlefest, but won't be able to purchase it until Friday. I'm thinking they last 7 days like the Deal of the Week, but I'm not exactly sure.

[quote name='XxLady_AthenaxX']Out of curiousity, how long do the "loser" deals last in the Sales & Specials App? I'm contemplating Bomberman Battlefest, but won't be able to purchase it until Friday. I'm thinking they last 7 days like the Deal of the Week, but I'm not exactly sure.[/QUOTE]

Ya, a week. It resets really early on Tuesday, so you'll be fine on Friday.

[quote name='harry hood']if i'm not mistaken, dead block does not have online co-op and thats a deal breaker for me[/QUOTE]
yes

That was the problem Dead Block faced was the lack of any online multiplayer component. If it had that, the reviews would have been higher and I would have bought it Day 1. It's a solid game no doubt, but it genuinely required a form of multiplayer to be successful. Disagree with me you all might, but right I am you know.

Thanks for the heads up on Deadblock's lack of online multiplayer. I was considering getting it before but I don't really have anyone for local.

[quote name='Cleaner7']Thanks for the heads up on Deadblock's lack of online multiplayer. I was considering getting it before but I don't really have anyone for local.[/QUOTE]

The cpu does fine. I mainly look for games that have online multiplayer, but at times some games I might not get because it won't have an active community and this game is an exception. The cpu actually does help and isn't clumsy, i'd recommend it for the current price. The dlc doesn't have achievements though I believe.

Anyone play Bloodforge post update? Just won a code for it on PlayXBLA, but I'm not sure I really want to redeem it yet. If I get any good offers for it in the trade forum, I will probably give it up unless the update really fixed how terrible everyone said it was.

[quote name='BFBB Delicious']Anyone play Bloodforge post update? Just won a code for it on PlayXBLA, but I'm not sure I really want to redeem it yet. If I get any good offers for it in the trade forum, I will probably give it up unless the update really fixed how terrible everyone said it was.[/QUOTE]

It was fucking awesome pre-update. I'd say keep it. Also, congrats on your win.

EDIT: I even CAG blogged about it here.

woohoo! Jumped on the Bomberman Battlefest deal. It's never been on sale ever so to see it on sale now was a shocker. It has a lot of additional powerups, let's you play with your Xbox avatar (and any clothes you own such as Master Chief), and a bunch of levels. The only negative is there's no single player story campaign.

and before anyone asks, yes, it shows up in your download history. The problems they had in the past are probably gone by now as I haven't had any problems.

I do love the new dash. Much better use of space than the previous one.

If you're wondering, Rock Band Blitz is quite awesome so far. Wish it had multiplayer, but it's a great single-player experience and of course has fantastic leaderboard integration.

[quote name='eastx']I do love the new dash. Much better use of space than the previous one.

If you're wondering, Rock Band Blitz is quite awesome so far. Wish it had multiplayer, but it's a great single-player experience and of course has fantastic leaderboard integration.[/QUOTE]

Damn you and your good reviews. Id pay $20 to have this right now.

The new dashboard is gorgeous. Much better use of space as someone mentioned earlier. It's a shame that themes hardly get any love anymore, but I love the new look nonetheless.

[quote name='eastx']I do love the new dash. Much better use of space than the previous one.

If you're wondering, Rock Band Blitz is quite awesome so far. Wish it had multiplayer, but it's a great single-player experience and of course has fantastic leaderboard integration.[/QUOTE]

No multiplayer at all? Or just online? Surely it has local; I just got some sweet new instruments and was looking forward to jamming with friends. We haven't had a Rock Band party in forever. :(

[quote name='dirtyvu']and before anyone asks, yes, it shows up in your download history. The problems they had in the past are probably gone by now as I haven't had any problems.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think they finally fixed the download history bug. I downloaded Dead Block + DLC outside of the app and it recognized them next time I was in the app.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']No multiplayer at all? Or just online? Surely it has local; I just got some sweet new instruments and was looking forward to jamming with friends. We haven't had a Rock Band party in forever. :([/QUOTE]

Well, the 25 songs Rock Band Blitz comes with (most of which are great IMO) can be exported to Rock Band 3 for free, so it can still make your next Rock Band gathering better.

But Blitz is based on Harmonix classic Frequency games so it doesn't play much like the Rock Band games other than requiring rhythmic button pressing. You hop back and forth between the 4-5 instrument positions using the triggers or buttons and hit the notes for the currently selected instrument. There are only two kinds of notes to hit: left or right. Each instrument levels up temporarily as you use it - you're encouraged to get all of their levels high in order to score better during the song.

I don't see any reason the game couldn't work in multiplayer, but sadly there is no such mode. Instead, your score gets compared with your friends' during and after each song - a fun and competitive element.

Here's a trailer:

[youtube]X85ycsb7Nhk[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chrono Gear']No multiplayer at all? Or just online? Surely it has local; I just got some sweet new instruments and was looking forward to jamming with friends. We haven't had a Rock Band party in forever. :([/QUOTE]
It doesn't work with guitar controllers and such, as it's a normal controller game.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It doesn't work with guitar controllers and such, as it's a normal controller game.[/QUOTE]

you couldn't use the guitar if you wanted? a guitar still has an A, B, X, and Y. a start button. a back button. a d-pad.

[quote name='dirtyvu']you couldn't use the guitar if you wanted? a guitar still has an A, B, X, and Y. a start button. a back button. a d-pad.[/QUOTE]

Blitz's controls:

Left note: Left stick or D-pad in any direction
Right note: Right stick in any direction or A button
Switch to left instrument: LB or LT
Switch to right instrument: RB or RT
Activate power-up: X button

Is it possible to be disappointed and still be excited at the same time? It's a bummer it's not a traditional Rock Band game, but then again Rock Band Unplugged on PSP was pretty sweet so I'm definitely still game. That preview looked pretty good.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Is it possible to be disappointed and still be excited at the same time? It's a bummer it's not a traditional Rock Band game, but then again Rock Band Unplugged on PSP was pretty sweet so I'm definitely still game. That preview looked pretty good.[/QUOTE]

The fact of the matter is that I'm not sure what else can be done to Rock Band to make it "better". If nothing else, here is 25 new songs (well, mostly, at least we are getting back a few we lost) and it's less than $1 a track. That said, I loved Frequency/Amplitude back in the day and this brings the general concept back with some fresh ideas, nice leaderboards, and full RB DLC compatibility, meaning a whole new way to play my 300 some odd songs. Hard to be disappointed from that perspective.

[quote name='eastx']Well, the 15 songs Rock Band Blitz comes with (most of which are great IMO) can be exported to Rock Band 3 for free, so it can still make your next Rock Band gathering better.[/QUOTE]

Rock Band Blitz comes with 25 songs. (Although only 23 are new, the other 2 are songs in RB2 that didn't export)

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']I don't think it was ever a problem with DOTW games not showing up as purchased, but rather the "loser" deals (and Chain Reaction stuff).[/QUOTE]

Ahh, I did not know that. I just assumed they had a problem with all of it.

[quote name='Tsel']The new dashboard is gorgeous. Much better use of space as someone mentioned earlier. It's a shame that themes hardly get any love anymore, but I love the new look nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

I still have Transformer faceplates for my white 360.

7848523360_0f862f573b.jpg

[quote name='weeman43302']Rock Band Blitz comes with 25 songs. (Although only 23 are new, the other 2 are songs in RB2 that didn't export)[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I knew that, but typed 15 in error.

[quote name='eastx']Thanks. I knew that, but typed 15 in error.[/QUOTE]

I thought about that AFTER I posted the comment. Good info for anyone that didn't know though.

[quote name='dirtyvu']and before anyone asks, yes, it shows up in your download history. The problems they had in the past are probably gone by now as I haven't had any problems.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Strider Turbulence']I don't think it was ever a problem with DOTW games not showing up as purchased, but rather the "loser" deals (and Chain Reaction stuff).[/QUOTE]
[quote name='weeman43302']Ahh, I did not know that. I just assumed they had a problem with all of it.[/QUOTE]
The problem isn't in your download history ... it's that the Marketplace (or the S&S+ app) doesn't know you own the game.

This is due to Marketplace hack to give "exclusive" pricing by setting the app's Scratch/Chain deals to a unique geographic region. And when you browse the Marketplace, you're seeing the Marketplace for your specific country, but nobody is a member of the "geography-hack" country, so the Marketplace reflects that you've yet to buy the game/DLC in your native country. The vice versa is also true, where games purchased in the Marketplace (in your home country) aren't reflected in the Scratch/Chain areas using the kludgy country workaround.

Personally, a better solution would've been to offer a rebate on these purchases, and queue that batch 1x/week, just like they do for Rewards twice/month. It might've slightly negatively affected the "impulse buyer", but those aren't even customers you have any long-term relationship with, and I doubt many gamers "not interested in sales" will put up with the app's craptastical user-experience just to check out sales. I also acknowledge that some people don't like carrying point balances, but you've already accepted that fate if you seek out "XBLA deals". :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Bloomy']Just the current deal of the week. I thought someone mentioned earlier in the topic that they noticed all the games were developed or published by European companies, but I can't find it except in the updated OP.[/QUOTE]
That was me ... if you check out the dev's & publishers, they're all based in Germany ("AG" in name, including Digital Reality), and there's 1 French dev in there as well.

[quote name='Tsel']The new dashboard is gorgeous. Much better use of space as someone mentioned earlier. It's a shame that themes hardly get any love anymore, but I love the new look nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

I really like it for the most part, specially the "x for game details" add, instead of click game to get another screen and then load said game, but now get straight down to business.

The only downside (which is minor) is the lack of certain "limited time only" sale items. I read earlier about the "Gears of War 3" for $14.99 deal and that it is only available on the "current" dashboard and not the beta. Hopefully that is something they will rectify in the future.

Mentioned elsewhere on the forums but Burnout Revenge is at least, for now, back up and running online. No idea why and no idea if it'll last, but that's still probably one of my favorite online games.

I'm looking at Blitz as a cheap track pack. I don't even like the songs included that much, but enough to certainly justify the 15 dollar price. The game itself is just something thrown in with it.

[quote name='Cornelius']The problem isn't in your download history ... it's that the Marketplace (or the S&S+ app) doesn't know you own the game.

This is due to Marketplace hack to give "exclusive" pricing by setting the app's Scratch/Chain deals to a unique geographic region. And when you browse the Marketplace, you're seeing the Marketplace for your specific country, but nobody is a member of the "geography-hack" country, so the Marketplace reflects that you've yet to buy the game/DLC in your native country. The vice versa is also true, where games purchased in the Marketplace (in your home country) aren't reflected in the Scratch/Chain areas using the kludgy country workaround.[/QUOTE]
I'm confused. 2 different chain reactions (GoW and the Bioshock one) have recognized that I already own some of the pieces. Can't speak for the scratch and match but the chain reaction definitely recognizes what I've purchased in the regular marketplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back