XBL DotW Sales 2012 |- CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Juice el Savior']its called "im getting one or the other"

why would he ask otherwise... -_-[/QUOTE]
just giving my opinion seeing as though I have both table sets

[quote name='Spylon']Cornelius, I am happy to create tools that are useful, but I am not quite sure what you mean by this? Can you add more details?

1. I think you want a form on the current deals or unidentified deals page where you can check offers and then get code only for those offers?
  2. What I can do quickly is make each offer have it's own code snippet and you can copy paste one at a time?

Remember the tables are sortable so you may be able to group things for easy copying. After this I could try and write some JavaScript that does the first one, grabbing each snippet and making one list. :) I can do server side PHP but client side JavaScript is new so it would take some time to ramp up, it is something I need to learn thou.[/QUOTE]
#2 is definitely more what I was thinking, since it's less work for you, and leaves the person completing the form in control of what goes into the blanks.

Here's my basic thoughts on the form:
  • Heading text field, 3 checkboxes, and a 2nd text field afterwards:
    - The 1st field is to type the list heading, such as "9/25 - 10/1 ... Marvel-ous Sale!" for example.
    - The checkboxes are provided to enable any or all of bold/underline/italic. When the form is compiled, the formatting tags are simply added before & after the heading string.
    - The 2nd text field is for a color string. I'd say leave it open & not validated, rather than screen for 6-digit hex, so that users can still enter a string like "white", "gold", "lime", etc.
  • List of many rows of 10 text fields (5 pairs). The user enters the URL in the left field of the pair, and then the string in the right pair. In our current format within the OP, it would be:
    - game URL
    - game title
    - (optional) price in points (optionally including a USD$-converted value)
    - (optional) % off[/color]
    - xbldb URL
    - "xbldb"
    - Metacritic/review URL
    - "Metacritic(XX)" or something like "EastX review"
    - Quick Look / YouTube URL
    - "Quick Look" or "Trailer" or whatever.
  • At the end of each row of text fields, you might include a checkbox to include a footnote, since so many deals now have restrictions, notes, info, etc. After the checkbox, include 2 more text boxes:
    - 1 text field for footnote symbol
    - 1 text field for color, and like the heading string, don't need to parse for valid values.
  • At the very end, include room for 1 footnote as 3 text fields:
    - 1 text field for color
    - 1 text field for the footnote itself.
  • And when the user hits "Create!", it will produce the header text at the top, followed by a bulleted list of the rows, and optionally the footnote at the end.

If any rows or URL/string pairs are left blank, then simply skip the rest of the fields & stop parsing the row from there (except for the footnote, I guess). Use simple hyphens (-) to separate items, without worrying about the italics we're using in some of the items.

As a Program Manager, I really like simplicity in design, and don't try to overthink or constrain the user. Using this method, we would be able to reproduce just about everything in the OP by repeatedly filling out the form for each section. The key here is to simplify the creation of the items, and if someone wants to get fancy with other formatting (like size, picture, more text), they can manually add those features. For now, let the user filling out the form generate their own URL's, because what takes a surprising amount of time is having to enter 4 URL's with their text, along with the bullets, and hoping that your footnote didn't leave a color or BOLD mistakenly enabled.

What do you think? I'm frankly happy for anything, and would even spit out a form of my own, but if someone has a "standard" form to complete, then we can make this available for everyone. :D

It looks like were going to be getting rewarded from our purchases soon if your a Rewards member based on your achievements, saw it on http://rewards.xbox.com/myachievements/

Breakdowns

3000G-9999G -Contender Level grants you a Special Gift on your birthday month.

10000G-24999G -Champion level grants you a special gift on your birthday and 1% rebate on your purchases.

25000G+ Legend level grants you a special gift on your birthday and 2% rebate on your purchases.

* Birthday Gift (approximate retail value ("ARV"): $0.25 USD)

** You must have and maintain an eligible Xbox LIVE Gold membership and the applicable Gamerscore for the appropriate tier by the first of every month in order to be eligible. Limit: Up to 30,000 Microsoft Points can be earned per account for the entire Offer Period. Please see Terms and Conditions for details.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Narsis84']Good man.

Also, I may finally pick up Blacklight Tango Down at 200 points. Does it still have an online community?[/QUOTE]

even with this sale I doubt BL TD will be able to amass enough people to get the MP community alive at least for a month or so.
I purchased this game at launch for the full 1200 price and I didn't 'really' regret it. At that time, I was down for ANY FPS multiplayer shooter (although I skipped Breach) and this got me through that craving (was i think the 50th person to reach lvl 70 which is the highest level).
Anyway I just booted up the game again a week ago and it was DEAD as can be.
Also one thing to note is it requires 6 people to start a matchmaking game so keep that in mind when purchasing.
It does have a HORDE mode of some sort consisting of 4 maps.
Also another thing to note is this is MP ONLY (and co-op MP). NO single player mode.
But for 200 MSP it's definitely worth it even if you'll only get to play it for a while until the community dies again.

----
Is Fable Heroes worth 400 MSP?
Also purchased Crysis at 800MSP! Sadly Borderlands 2 has preoccupied my time since release day

I was just on Blacklight and there was a full game going on (seemed like nearly 20 people). For the next week I think your good with getting games.

Also, Blacklight sucks and I want my 200 points back. :(

[quote name='varna']It looks like were going to be getting rewarded from our purchases soon if your a Rewards member based on your achievements, saw it on http://rewards.xbox.com/myachievements/

Breakdowns

3000G-9999G -Contender Level grants you a Special Gift on your birthday month.

10000G-24999G -Champion level grants you a special gift on your birthday and 1% rebate on your purchases.

25000G+ Legend level grants you a special gift on your birthday and 2% rebate on your purchases.

* Birthday Gift (approximate retail value ("ARV"): $0.25 USD)

** You must have and maintain an eligible Xbox LIVE Gold membership and the applicable Gamerscore for the appropriate tier by the first of every month in order to be eligible. Limit: Up to 30,000 Microsoft Points can be earned per account for the entire Offer Period. Please see Terms and Conditions for details.[/QUOTE]

Sweet! I'd imagine most of the long timers here will automatically reach the Legend status. I can't wait to get my $.25 avatar prop in November! YEAH!! (My guess is we get a birthday cake avatar prop)

[quote name='varna']Considering I have almost 160,000G I kinda feel shafted lol.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry 25000G+ includes you. No need to feel shafted cause you made the top bracket.

My birthday was literally yesterday, does that mean I won't get my special gift for an entire year? Not that it matters considering it has an approximate retail value of 25 freakin' cents. 2% back is cool though.

Sure hope they include Sept. for birthday months, considering my 21st birthday was JUST last week. & yeah, really hope this includes gamerscore earned beforehand. It took me about a year & a 1/2 to get to 25k, I sure as hell don't want to re-earn that.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Sweet! I'd imagine most of the long timers here will automatically reach the Legend status. I can't wait to get my $.25 avatar prop in November! YEAH!! (My guess is we get a birthday cake avatar prop)[/QUOTE]

Until I read the Terms page, I expected the Gamerscore levels needed to be reached after the start of the program, similar to how people weren't eligible for first time purchases, Netflix subscribers, etc., if they had already done something before the Rewards program started.

I just checked the FAQ on Xbox Rewards & YOUR CURRENT GAMERSCORE DOES INDEED COUNT. No having to restart from 0G and reworking your way up.

While checking the FAQ, I noticed that for Election 2012, if you watch 3 out of the 4 presidential and/or vice presidential debates on Election 2012 on Xbox LIVE for 30 minutes or more, you'lll receive a Halo 4 Warrior Armor for your avatar. The 4 dates are 10/3, 10/11, 10/16, and 10/22 from 9-10:30pm ET (6-7:30pm PT).

Checking AGAIN, I found the offer for Oct. Spend 2,000 MSP on horror themed marketplace items (themes, DLC, games, avatar items, movies & shows on Zune, etc.), get 300 MSP back.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Don't worry 25000G+ includes you. No need to feel shafted cause you made the top bracket.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but there really should be even higher brackets. I'm at 165,500 myself, so having 25,000 be the "break-off" limit is kind of disappointing. Still happy we're getting something, but it would be cool if they rewarded their extreme gamers even better.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Sweet! I'd imagine most of the long timers here will automatically reach the Legend status. I can't wait to get my $.25 avatar prop in November! YEAH!! (My guess is we get a birthday cake avatar prop)[/QUOTE]

November birthdays FTW! Can't wait to get my avatar prop either! Or maybe they'll just give us 20msp haha.

Brackets work for me, I guess I would have like to see a 50K bracket since I'm up to 59000, but 2% back is better than nothing.

Speaking of Xbox Rewards, my August rewards promo points FINALLY hit my pending account today. I'll certainly take the 2% back, but I'll never participate in one of their monthly promos again.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']So I was worried I might not have 25,000 Gamerscore. I check my account and...

Oh, hey. I'm 560 points from breaking 40,000. :lol:[/QUOTE]

That's funny. I almost always know at least the first 3 digits of my gamerscore (at the moment I'm at 598xx)

Considering I've had a 360 since 5 months after launch and have a veritable crapton of games, it's ridiculous that I'm not in the top bracket. Time to fix that! And time to borrow my buddy's copy of College Hoops 2K6 ;)

My bday is today. So I got the whole year to wait.

2% back and having to remain Gold isn't enough to get me back in that program. If MS took control of it again, that'd be another thing.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Considering I've had a 360 since 5 months after launch and have a veritable crapton of games, it's ridiculous that I'm not in the top bracket. Time to fix that! And time to borrow my buddy's copy of College Hoops 2K6 ;)[/QUOTE]

yea im kind of shocked after years of xbox 360 and ton of games i am only at just under 50 000

Looks like they've updated MyAchievements already, as I checked & all the tiers are unlocked for me, saying I'll get 2% back each month.

....though I just did some math & you're gonna end up with some weird amounts. 2% of 1,600 MSP is 32 MSP, while for 800 MSP, it'd be 16 MSP.

It would be nice to see brackets for 50k and 100k as well. Anything past that might be a bit excessive however. Still, free points are free points.

Yeah, have 50k be 5% back, then 100k be 10% back. Though I wonder if they stopped at such a low amount to discourage people from hacking to get a higher gamerscore.

[quote name='tylerh1701']For some reason I was a Scary fan, don't ask me why.

Now I'm all Posh.[/QUOTE]
I was never on the Sporty Spice boat that Dustinator, CAiNiACprime, and Solder mentioned but this boat however is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

[quote name='Cornelius']...BTW, if y'all haven't noticed, I'm trying out using meaningful colors for headings:
  • GOLD for gold-only,
  • LIME for everyone,
  • PLAIN for markdowns (since they're not technically a "sale"), and ...
  • AQUA for that POS called "Sales & Specials+".
[/QUOTE]Not a huge deal or anything but color-impaired folk like myself can't tell the gold and lime apart as they appear too similar. Something like a more normal blue or red might be easier for one of the two. I like the idea of the color coded headings though and like I said it really isn't a big deal. I'm used to not seeing colors properly and can read the content just fine if the ones used aren't too dark.

You, BobbyTastic, Spylon, and anyone else I missed are doing a great job keeping this thread and organized place for info. Kudos!:applause:

With the day off, I'm off to finally check out the Cpt.America/Avengers tables and Rock Band DLC I downloaded a few days back. We shall see if I pull the trigger on Crysis before the day is done also!

[quote name='bardockkun']My Birthday is in October so now I'm curious if I'll get anything or won't be ready by then.[/QUOTE]
Same here. Looks like we'll be among the first to get whatever avatar prop is the birthday gift. :)

[quote name='xbox_man']i have just received this from xbox forum:

a thorough investigation has completed for this. Once more, we are not seeing that Tony Hawk was a purchase you made via your Xbox LIVE account. We reviewed this via two separate systems with our tech team. For that reason, you are not eligible for the Rewards Points for the August offer. Thank you.

how can they not see it in my download history, and i even had a screen shot of it. not happy[/QUOTE]
Did you get Tony Hawk by spending Microsoft Points or redeeming a code?

Your download history only proves you own the game. You'd need a screencap of your billing history for August (obfuscated, if you're gonna post publicly, of course)

[quote name='JStryke']It would be nice to see brackets for 50k and 100k as well. Anything past that might be a bit excessive however. Still, free points are free points.[/QUOTE]

It's not that "free" in the sense that you have to be a Gold member to get the rebates/avatar item.

[quote name='fatboyjam']For anyone who's played both the Marvel and the Avengers FX2 tables, which do you like better?[/QUOTE]

Thanks to everyone who answered this. Just jumped into the thread to ask the same exact question, primarily for the "one or the other" reason.

[quote name='Cornelius']#2 is definitely more what I was thinking, since it's less work for you, and leaves the person completing the form in control of what goes into the blanks.

Here's my basic thoughts on the form:
  • Heading text field, 3 checkboxes, and a 2nd text field afterwards:
    - The 1st field is to type the list heading, such as "9/25 - 10/1 ... Marvel-ous Sale!" for example.
    - The checkboxes are provided to enable any or all of bold/underline/italic. When the form is compiled, the formatting tags are simply added before & after the heading string.
    - The 2nd text field is for a color string. I'd say leave it open & not validated, rather than screen for 6-digit hex, so that users can still enter a string like "white", "gold", "lime", etc.
  • List of many rows of 10 text fields (5 pairs). The user enters the URL in the left field of the pair, and then the string in the right pair. In our current format within the OP, it would be:
    - game URL
    - game title
    - (optional) price in points (optionally including a USD$-converted value)
    - (optional) % off[/color]
    - xbldb URL
    - "xbldb"
    - Metacritic/review URL
    - "Metacritic(XX)" or something like "EastX review"
    - Quick Look / YouTube URL
    - "Quick Look" or "Trailer" or whatever.
  • At the end of each row of text fields, you might include a checkbox to include a footnote, since so many deals now have restrictions, notes, info, etc. After the checkbox, include 2 more text boxes:
    - 1 text field for color, and like the heading string, don't need to parse for valid values.
  • At the very end, include room for 1 footnote as 3 text fields:
    - 1 text field for color
    - 1 text field for the footnote itself.
  • And when the user hits "Create!", it will produce the header text at the top, followed by a bulleted list of the rows, and optionally the footnote at the end.

If any rows or URL/string pairs are left blank, then simply skip the rest of the fields & stop parsing the row from there (except for the footnote, I guess). Use simple hyphens (-) to separate items, without worrying about the italics we're using in some of the items.

As a Program Manager, I really like simplicity in design, and don't try to overthink or constrain the user. Using this method, we would be able to reproduce just about everything in the OP by repeatedly filling out the form for each section. The key here is to simplify the creation of the items, and if someone wants to get fancy with other formatting (like size, picture, more text), they can manually add those features. For now, let the user filling out the form generate their own URL's, because what takes a surprising amount of time is having to enter 4 URL's with their text, along with the bullets, and hoping that your footnote didn't leave a color or BOLD mistakenly enabled.

What do you think? I'm frankly happy for anything, and would even spit out a form of my own, but if someone has a "standard" form to complete, then we can make this available for everyone. :D[/QUOTE]

Hmm, this is an awfully lot to digest. I also think it can be simplified some by leveraging the code already generated by xbldb. I also want to support HTML for those that want to share on Blogs.

Overall I like it. I will add this to the planned activities in the feedback tab on xbldb. I will roll this out in stages and would appreciate feedback as it matures.

Also has anyone else noticed non of the Rock Band stuff has gone back up in price? Just want to make sure xbldb is not missing something. :)

[quote name='Spylon']Also has anyone else noticed non of the Rock Band stuff has gone back up in price? Just want to make sure xbldb is not missing something. :)[/QUOTE]

I got the impression the price drop was semi-permanent...

[quote name='NoDAK']Did you get Tony Hawk by spending Microsoft Points or redeeming a code?

Your download history only proves you own the game. You'd need a screencap of your billing history for August (obfuscated, if you're gonna post publicly, of course)[/QUOTE]

if download history proves i own the game, then how do they say i did not buy it if i dont own it.

anyway someone said the redeem codes are not counted in the rewards promos.

From my download history:
Tony Hawk's PS HD
Jeremy McGrath's Offroad

Both bought from dashboard (no codes, not anything else) and I never got the 240 reward points from the August's sports reward...

Want some more? I had a dashboard offer to buy Trials evolution HD for 240 MSP, and never got these as well.
I love how they screw up with their points system.

I wish we'd get a Pinball FX 2 tables sale, with most, if not all of the tables on sale. I'd love to round out my collection seeing as I've only ever picked up the ones on sale. I just got done putting 50 million on the Avengers table and I had a blast doing so.

[quote name='Tsel']I wish we'd get a Pinball FX 2 tables sale, with most, if not all of the tables on sale. I'd love to round out my collection seeing as I've only ever picked up the ones on sale. I just got done putting 50 million on the Avengers table and I had a blast doing so.[/QUOTE]
Same, except replace 50 Million on Avengers with Planet Hulk and you'll have my experience. Though as much points as I spent this month (spoiler alert: a CRAZY amount), I'd definitely be in for a pinball sale.

[quote name='Horsewarrior of Janjaweed']Actually knowing MS this will completely replace said months. Look forward to spending 20 hours using IE for 50 points.[/QUOTE]

Actually, knowing Microsoft, they'll take it a step further, and keep the "100 point balance to get rewarded" deal. I've given up on even trying to go for their so-called rewards. I'll get a few hundred points when I renew my Live in November. Meanwhile, some silver schmuck gets 160 points thrown at them for doing nothing but not being gold. What a deal...

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Uh, holy shit. Makes me wish I hadn't been so quick to spend.[/QUOTE]

on the official Rock Band forums when the sales started, they noted the sales would last for "a few months". people who rushed into it made me pretty surprised, could have saved money for other deals. pretty cool of them to have it go for so long though

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back