XBL DotW Sales 2013 | 1/1 EA SPORTS (Gold) | MORE! | Now-Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... Countdown to 2013 starting on the 18th, Tropico 4 DOTW this week, Serious Sam DOTW next week, an upcoming THQ weekend sale, and Kinect Party for free from the 18th to the end of the year. Interesting.

Part of me wants to bite on some or all of the Tropico 4 DLC just because I feel like it'll be quite some time before it's marked down again, but on the other hand I've never even played Tropico, so I don't know that I'd like it...

Serious Sam 3 is tempting; I do have it on Steam but also probably won't have a worthwhile gaming PC for quite some time. We'll see how the countdown deals look I guess.

[quote name='Felder71']Woah, Kinect Party will be free? Awesome! My son loves the first one. This is the best deal yet![/QUOTE]

Happy Action Theatre is the best implementation of Kinect that there is. That is both a compliment to Double Fine and a criticism of Kinect.

Kinect Party looks to be an improvement, but more of the same (which is a good thing). I am assuming it's free because there may be future DLC. I agree Happy Action Theatre is great for young children (still a neat novelty for adults) and the best Xbox Live Arcade purchase I have ever made. It's saying a lot when my three year old stays interested in it for more than just a few minutes. I would pay a decent amount for DLC because of that.

[quote name='TommyLove']Deal of the week:
Tropico 4 - Plantador 400 MSP (Save 200 MSP)
Tropico 4 - Junta 400 MSP (Save 200 MSP)
Tropico 4 - Bonus Pack 400 MSP (Save 200 MSP)
Tropico 4 - Modern Times 1200 MSP (Save 600 MSP)
Tropico 4 - Quick-dry Cement 400 MSP (Save 200 MSP)
They're all DLC to the game.[/QUOTE]

This makes me extremely happy. I almost bought the DLC the other week. I love the Tropico games. I was hoping there would be a sale since Tropico 4 Gold Edition came out last month.

[quote name='WNYX585AM']Happy Action Theatre is the best implementation of Kinect that there is. That is both a compliment to Double Fine and a criticism of Kinect.

Kinect Party looks to be an improvement, but more of the same (which is a good thing). I am assuming it's free because there may be future DLC. I agree Happy Action Theatre is great for young children (still a neat novelty for adults) and the best Xbox Live Arcade purchase I have ever made. It's saying a lot when my three year old stays interested in it for more than just a few minutes. I would pay a decent amount for DLC because of that.[/QUOTE]

Im jumping in with the happiness for the free Kinect Party due to Happy Action Theatre. A lot of the Kinect games can't really read kids well, even if they are made directly for kids (I'm looking at you Kinectimals and Disneyland Adventures!). But Double Fine has made a great game here.

Probably skipping this week since I'm waiting to get Tropico 4 Gold Ed (when its on sale of course), but I'm really looking forward to next week.

Serious Sam 3 on sale next week, and the dlc also.
This should have been the price when released.
For the THQ sale, anybody think some wwe 13 dlc could go on sale or the pass?

Nuthin for me this week, looks like my huge stockpile of points will remain. Hopefully we get a few worthy deals on the Countdown to New Years sale.

[quote name='seppuku']In looking around for potential candidates for the THQ weekend sale, I stumbled upon the Voltron XBLA page which no longer gives the option to purchase. Possible delisting?

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Voltron/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410b8f

Probably not a huge loss, but I would have purchased it had the price dropped low enough..... I'm still bummed about Kung Fu Strike though.[/QUOTE]

I'm still bummed about Lost Cities... :whistle2:T

Gimme 75% off the You Don't Know Jack packs I missed during the last THQ sale and throw in some discounted Space Marine DLC, and I will be A-OK.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']
Gimme 75% off the You Don't Know Jack packs I missed during the last THQ sale and throw in some discounted Space Marine DLC, and I will be A-OK.[/QUOTE]

You're asking for a repeat of stuff that's all been on sale....so you'll probably get it :)

For those that don't know, Tropico 4 Gold was released not too long ago. It has the DLC on disc so you have that option.

[quote name='bajingo']You're asking for a repeat of stuff that's all been on sale....so you'll probably get it :)[/QUOTE]

Man, I sure hope I'm lucky enough to see Risk on sale. I wanted to buy that game when it was last on sale about 2 days ago, but the rock on my cave was sealed shut and I couldn't get out.

[quote name='Cornelius']Actually, they can't even remove it from your purchase history unless for some strange reason, neither the publisher nor Microsoft bear the rights to distribute that item to original purchasers ... and we can't see that happening for a Halo 4 Map Pack, can we? You went through the transaction in good faith that you were paying "0 MSP" for the item, so that's what you & Microsoft have agreed upon as the price.

[/QUOTE]

not sure about that. according to my friend, there are some kinect fun lab apps that have mysteriously disappeared from her purchase history when she tried to redownload them and they're no longer in the marketplace.

[quote name='dirtyvu']not sure about that. according to my friend, there are some kinect fun lab apps that have mysteriously disappeared from her purchase history when she tried to redownload them and they're no longer in the marketplace.[/QUOTE]
Depends if they're apps, full games, or DLC. In the case of Kinect Labs, there may very well be some that didn't work well or just plain bug-ridden ... but I'm fairly certain Sparkler will be there, since it's a paid app. Labs is a bad example, since so many of the applets were free ...

[quote name='seppuku']In looking around for potential candidates for the THQ weekend sale, I stumbled upon the Voltron XBLA page which no longer gives the option to purchase. Possible delisting?

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Voltron/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410b8f

Probably not a huge loss, but I would have purchased it had the price dropped low enough..... I'm still bummed about Kung Fu Strike though.[/QUOTE]

Wow. That is surprising. FWIW, It is truly an abysmal pile of garbage. Worse than Ghostbusters if that was possible. I'm a core fan of both franchises (still have all my 80s toys in boxes in the closet) and my brother and I couldn't get through the first level of Voltron without being bored and disappointed. Will try to force our way through it for achievements and the avatar awards again sometime.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Wow. That is surprising. FWIW, It is truly an abysmal pile of garbage. Worse than Ghostbusters if that was possible. I'm a core fan of both franchises (still have all my 80s toys in boxes in the closet) and my brother and I couldn't get through the first level of Voltron without being bored and disappointed. Will try to force our way through it for achievements and the avatar awards again sometime.[/QUOTE]

I thought Voltron was a little better than Ghostbusters SOS, but they're both bad and probably not worth the 4-6 hours it takes to complete them.

Also, Chrono, there's only 1 avatar award in Voltron and I believe it unlocks as soon as you buy and play the game, and it's only a lame ass shirt, so my guess is you've probably already got all the Avatar Awards for the game.

[quote name='SirChadlyOC']Man, I sure hope I'm lucky enough to see Risk on sale. I wanted to buy that game when it was last on sale about 2 days ago, but the rock on my cave was sealed shut and I couldn't get out.[/QUOTE]

i would like to see risk on sale

[quote name='gotdott']i would like to see risk on sale[/QUOTE]
I freaking love Risk on starcraft use map settings. I hope the game play is the same (I have never play the board game yet).

What does it mean when it says "Kinect Party" ?

Although I'm disappointed with the price for Bilbo Baggins, I love the characters but I don't thing I want to pay 160MSP for one character (I might when I get more points from Rewards).

Awesome to hear that Kinect Party will be free for a time. Kinda bummed out now that I didn't buy a used Kinect for $40 from Gamestop over BF weekend.

[quote name='tylerh1701']I thought Voltron was a little better than Ghostbusters SOS, but they're both bad and probably not worth the 4-6 hours it takes to complete them.

Also, Chrono, there's only 1 avatar award in Voltron and I believe it unlocks as soon as you buy and play the game, and it's only a lame ass shirt, so my guess is you've probably already got all the Avatar Awards for the game.[/QUOTE]

From a technical perspective, I'd agree with you. Voltron seemed less buggy but the fun factor was significantly less than Ghostbusters.

And your right about the avatar awards. Could have sworn there was a helmet or suit that you could earn too. Guess I spent way too much time looking at their avatar content on the marketplace.

Voltron hit 400 points about a month ago in the last THQ sale. Glad I snagged it then if its really getting the delist treatment. Mediocre game, but I'm a sucker for the series.

I'm in your OP ... makin' changes!

All done in the OP!

Oh, since we have the long-running Rock Band DLC spoiler, I also added a small blurb for Mad Catz's current sale on new instruments/bundles. You can probably find equivalent prices from retailers blowing out their stock, but it's still good to have that extra resource, especially if RB3 is part of your holiday giving/hoarding.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='otangz']I don't know how many people check the Contests and Free Stuff boards, so I thought I'd post this here in case any one missed it. Some people (myself included) have downloaded the Halo 4 Crimson Map Pack for free. You have to boot up Halo 4 and then go to the Downloadable Content (Xbox Live Market) link. The price (for some of us) showed up as zero.

This seems to be a US only deal... Here's the original link through Gamefaqs...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632877-halo-4/64879917

I can confirm that I downloaded the Crimson Maps and played an online match of capture the flag without problem.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip! It showed up as free for me, and the download seemed to work. Note that I canceled the download after a little bit and then accessed and finished downloading it from my history.

The Black Ops 2 Nuke town zombie map was also showing up as free in the in-game store, but the download for that hit 99% and would just continuously loop.

[quote name='bajingo']You're asking for a repeat of stuff that's all been on sale....so you'll probably get it :)[/QUOTE]

That's the spirit! :D

[quote name='ooga']For those that don't know, Tropico 4 Gold was released not too long ago. It has the DLC on disc so you have that option.[/QUOTE]

Skipping this week's DOTW, confirmed.

[quote name='TommyLove']I freaking love Risk on starcraft use map settings. I hope the game play is the same (I have never play the board game yet).[/QUOTE]

Use Map Settings... been a long time since I've read that. Good ol' days. I can't believe that game is nearing its 15th birthday and is still on shelves everywhere.

[quote name='Cornelius']Depends if they're apps, full games, or DLC. In the case of Kinect Labs, there may very well be some that didn't work well or just plain bug-ridden ... but I'm fairly certain Sparkler will be there, since it's a paid app. Labs is a bad example, since so many of the applets were free ...[/QUOTE]

I can't even figure out how to access the Fun Labs thingamabobs. It makes me feel extraordinarily ignorant.

[quote name='marineal']hows the port of Serious Sam 3?[/QUOTE]

OK, gonna combo-break my chain of quotes here. I have no idea what the general consensus is either here or on the great wide internets, but FWIW, co-op is the only multiplayer bundled with the game itself (though that may be all that matters to some of you) - all the other multiplayer modes such as deathmatch are included with the Jewel of the Nile DLC. So essentially you're paying 1200 MSP for the full package, which doesn't sound incredibly enticing, but it beats 2400 so I'm probably gonna bite.

[quote name='ooga']For those that don't know, Tropico 4 Gold was released not too long ago. It has the DLC on disc so you have that option.[/QUOTE]
While hacking the OP, all I could find was that the GOLD edition included the "Modern Times" DLC, but didn't find mention of any other DLC included. If you know it includes the others (and can supply a URL for OCD'ers like me), feel free to hack the OP, or just confirm here in the thread for others to do so.

Thanks!

[quote name='Cornelius']While hacking the OP, all I could find was that the GOLD edition included the "Modern Times" DLC, but didn't find mention of any other DLC included. If you know it includes the others (and can supply a URL for OCD'ers like me), feel free to hack the OP, or just confirm here in the thread for others to do so.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was just about to post that the lame Gold Edition only has the Modern Times DLC and none of the others for some reason.

I'll have to ask my friend how active the MP is, but definitely in for at least the SP portion of Serious Sam 3 next week.

Here's hoping we get some good sales the next two weeks. I have these point cards burning a hole in my pocket.

Hum I'd like to see the the second dlc (that isn't 80 MSP) for ME 1 on sale so I could finally start the series from the beginning with all the dlc for all of them lol =O

[quote name='Antarael Dulacre']Hum I'd like to see the the second dlc (that isn't 80 MSP) for ME 1 on sale so I could finally start the series from the beginning with all the dlc for all of them lol =O[/QUOTE]
As an enormous fan of all three Mass Effect games I can tell you: Pinnacle Station is super lame. The only reason it's worth playing is for the gamerscore. Do not let it prevent you from starting ME! :)

To elaborate-- Pinnacle Station is combat trials. I think even people who think ME1 is the best in the series and didn't like the changes that came with 2 will say that the combat is NOT what made the game fun. On its own, divorced from the role playing elements, it doesn't stand up as a third person shooter.

[quote name='Antarael Dulacre']Hum I'd like to see the the second dlc (that isn't 80 MSP) for ME 1 on sale so I could finally start the series from the beginning with all the dlc for all of them lol =O[/QUOTE]
I'm planning to do the same thing as well! Mass effect trilogy perfect story run!

Bad place to ask, but for season pass holders for BO2, can you guys play nuketown zombies today? I know it comes out tomorrow, but there's showings for it all over the dashboard.

Nothing for me this week. Too bad I missed the AC DLC sale since I needed them all, but the week before I blew all my MSP on Pac Man. :/

I could only get The Lost Archive and the Ancesters pack for Revelations.

[quote name='darkrun']Nothing for me this week. Too bad I missed the AC DLC sale since I needed them all, but the week before I blew all my MSP on Pac Man. :/

I could only get The Lost Archive and the Ancesters pack for Revelations.[/QUOTE]

Another Assassin's Creed DLC sale is inevitable. If you've missed any 2K or Bethesda DLC recently, don't sweat that either. :p

[quote name='me']Chain Reaction Deals
Be sure to read the "$" important info footnotes below to avoid duplicate purchases!

12/4 - 12/17 ... Batman - Arkham City's DLC

Purchase Offer #1 to unlock Offer #2, and so on ...

# = Included with all NEW copies of "Batman - Arkham City", including the original non-GOTY version. Check your disc case to ensure you didn't miss the insert.
** = Remember, all DLC is pre-bundled with the "Batman - Arkham City GOTY Edition", available new from Amazon new for $37.99, or used from Best Buy for $24.99.[/QUOTE]
BTW, forgot that I was going to research "Batman: Arkham City GOTY" prices to dissuade people from buying the DLC ... and now that I've filled in that info, I noticed that used copies are CHEAP! (aka $24.99), so that's a great option on 1 of GameTrailer.TV's most-significant games of the last 10 years. :)

[quote name='LordVila']Tropico 4: Modern Times Review

It does also add 250 achievement points as well if you are interested in that.[/QUOTE]
Knew I should've checked Destructoid before I asked. Thanks! And I guess I'll splurge since I got enough points from every damn deal this Holiday season for MS points.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']There sure is. http://majornelson.com/

Its existence is confirmed. Beyond that, like any special sale, we won't know until the day of the sale.[/QUOTE]

I hope there is actually something to buy, everything going on sale recently seems to be on disc already or not worth the time.

[quote name='zarda1']I hope there is actually something to buy, everything going on sale recently seems to be on disc already or not worth the time.[/QUOTE]

The last few years this has become the best expected sale of the year. I'm sure there will be something for everyone. I'd wager we see Fez for 400msp.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']
I think even people who think ME1 is the best in the series and didn't like the changes that came with 2 will say that the combat is NOT what made the game fun. On its own, divorced from the role playing elements, it doesn't stand up as a third person shooter.[/QUOTE]

I think the combat in ME1 was fun. Not the best part of the game, but I still thought it was really fun. It was way more fun than the second game, that's for sure. :)

[quote name='marineal']hows the port of Serious Sam 3?[/QUOTE]

It's very good; better than Serious Sam HD 1 & 2. This one's graphics are better (though nowhere near the PC version) and it has split-screen in addition to online multiplayer. If you like the series, Serious Sam 3 and its DLC are must-buys when they go on sale.

I really regret not buying the Kingdoms of Amalur DLC when it was on sale. At the same time the game was on sale from gamefly for 10$. Really kicking myself for missing those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back