XBL DotW Sales 2013 | 1/1 EA SPORTS (Gold) | MORE! | Now-Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Is the Rock Band sale really ending this week or is that a complete guess in the OP?[/QUOTE]

HMXHenry has only confirmed on the Rock Band forums that it will run through the game's 5th anniversary (which would be the 20th), but they've said they would "probably" run it through at least the end of November. An announcement that may be related will be taking place tomorrow, I believe... ? If they extended it, that'd be cool.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']No known sale for black Friday? [/QUOTE]

Major Nelson said he will update his blog with the marketplace's black friday sales this week. Nothing yet though.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']HMXHenry has only confirmed on the Rock Band forums that it will run through the game's 5th anniversary (which would be the 20th), but they've said they would "probably" run it through at least the end of November. An announcement that may be related will be taking place tomorrow, I believe... ? If they extended it, that'd be cool.[/QUOTE]
When it first started, they said it would be at least running through the end of November, so cutting it short isn't what I was expecting.

[quote name='chuckie88']I never even heard of this show until now, I assume it had a very short run.
If so, did it reach a conclusion or just end abruptly? Also, is it worth checking out?[/QUOTE]

I would have loved for it to run longer than it did, but it put forth a pretty epic conclusion regardless.

Definitely don't pass up experiencing this show.

I got Wreckateer and purchased Geometry Wars. I already have Fruit Ninja, Castle Crashers, and Bastion, and would recommend all of them at this price.

I'd like to get I Am Alive at some point, but 800 msp is too much for something that will sit in my backlog for a while. That demo wasn't so enthralling that I would be terribly remorseful if the game never went on sale again. Here's to hoping for some good Black Friday deals.

i think i'm at the point where i have so many games on my HD that, no matter what goes on sale, i'm not really going to care, as i've bought at least 95% of the games i have any interest in. Like maybe .5% of the total stuff that could possibly go on sale is stuff i would consider (not counting GODs, i like converting to digital but those go on sale so rarely i wouldn't even count them) buying, even at a discount. i think i can count everything on one hand. ME2 DLC (wasn't into ME last year), crazy taxi, hell yeah!. people complain about MS sales all the time but in just one year since i rebought an xbox i've snagged at least 70 really good games for really cheap (after counting discounted MSP to stack with sales of course) and its hard for me to even think of other games that are worth my time.

So more than anything i guess i would prefer to see GODs start getting slashed. they did a good job of that a few months ago then randomly just stopped discounting them, turbo lame.

Ummm...there have been several GoD titles on sale lately. I just bought Saint's Row 2 not long ago and there are some I was considering just this week?

[quote name='biledriver']Ummm...there have been several GoD titles on sale lately. I just bought Saint's Row 2 not long ago and there are some I was considering just this week?[/QUOTE]

recently yes, but before september GoD on discount was unheard of...

i dunno if i wanna pull the trigger on Puzzle Fighter... how long do i have to make that choice, is it supposed to be noon EST tomorrow?

[quote name='matrix9280']Something's wrong. I spent 1200 points for Bully Scholarship Edition. When I try to download it, it says it can't be downloaded. So now I'm out 1200 points and no game. What can I do about it?[/QUOTE]

You get any resolution on this? I'm having the same problem, waiting to chat with support now.

[quote name='Juice el Savior']recently yes, but before september GoD on discount was unheard of...

i dunno if i wanna pull the trigger on Puzzle Fighter... how long do i have to make that choice, is it supposed to be noon EST tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

Roughly noon CST in my experience, but never noon on the dot. Give or take about twenty minutes. So... if you want it, I hope you've made up your mind by 11.

[quote name='dark_inchworm']Roughly noon CST in my experience, but never noon on the dot. Give or take about twenty minutes. So... if you want it, I hope you've made up your mind by 11.[/QUOTE]

i just dont know if matches will be easy to find or not... it is an old game

(Sorry, I chose to omit the source posts in which I reply to for this message, I lost them :cry:)

I like the direction of deals and discounts we're getting which builds my anticipation up for the coming (US) holidays which should feature some discounts that I hope to make me glad I have Microsoft points. Granted we had a lot of repeat sales this week between the Deal of the Week, Sales & Specials + app, and Xbox Live 10th Anniversary sale, but I appreciate getting Wreckateer for free in case I ever do own a Kinect. The star item for discount this past week for me was Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo HD-Remix, which I had waited years to get a discount and now I am finally satiated. [Also, I already had bought 3 of those titles from prior discounts that are now on the Capcom Digital Collection, so it's just a better option for me to just get Puzzle Fighter from this sale; and I have no interest in the remaining 4 on the disc]

Among disappointments, I really wished the DLC for Puzzle Quest (1) was placed on sale as well for those of us who had purchased it the last time it was on sale. I will have to wait longer, and hope to see it gain a price reduction or discount sometime in the future. However, I believe this was the first time the sequel, Puzzle Quest 2, was at this low price point of 400MSP. I listened to my friends' opinions along with what eastx wrote which was in line with what I had thought with my initial impressions of Puzzle Quest 2, and opted to not make the purchase. As for Puzzle Quest (1), I am glad so many found it as delightful as I with its nice flourishes (quirky over-wordy dwarf, like my posts here), yet I am aware it is different than the DS version which allowed for practically looping sequences of actions/combos of skills by (now on XBLA) incorporating cooldowns of skills, but the game is still a solid time-waster even with the nerfing (probably for better competitive online play) ^^.

I already owned the Magic the Gathering: Duel of the Planeswalkers games. I used to play the card game long long ago, so my perspective on the games will be biased in some manner (aside from my usual odd tastes in games). I found the 2012 edition most tolerable amongst all 3 editions on XBLA if you were to play against the computer; its "archenemy" mode was so fun, I was elated to had also purchased the DLC on (a prior) discount which allowed the player to be the archenemy. However, if you were looking to use the XBLA games as a way to play against others, I feel the 2013 edition at least featured decks which were relatively balanced against one another. [Also contributing to my possible favoring of the 2012 edition could be due to my loyalty to 'blue' which was one of the overpowered decks in that edition, 'direct damage' was up there too] ... and I found the original Duels of the Planeswalkers game really awful (details and reasons can be given, but my post is long enough already); you cannot own your losses when they were not your decks, but at least the later editions allowed you to sort of tailor the decks a bit.

I also already had both Carcassone and Catan for XBLA from previous discounts. Along with Ticket to Ride (not on discount this week), having board games available on XBLA allows me to continually enjoy the games alongside friends even when physical distance separates us. That is why I still look forward to Zombies!!! to hit XBLA, even when it was promised over 3 years ago. Other platforms have great conversions of board games, and I feel Xbox Live would benefit from having many other board games available as well, I wish for games like "History of the World," "Risk 2210," "Cosmic Encounter," etc. [I didn't include a game like "Cards Against Humanity" because like "Apples to Apples" it's one of those games which unfortunately are best in person and a digital substitute just cannot suffice] ... I keep passing on Full House Poker even though I'm not an achievement whore and I know the weaknesses in gameplay of a Texas Hold'em game without real stakes, I guess that is one of those games which also I cannot have in a digital format and personally prefer in a live setting (with at least some stakes).

I still have the Section 8 Prejudice items which were on sale on the Sales & Specials + app in my backlog, so I cannot comment, but I hope I didn't make a bad choice when I purchased them from a prior discount (I believe at the time I was starved for a discount on something I didn't have yet and purchased it all). Also in my backlog was this week's constantly mentioned Bastion, and I really should promote it up so I can see where I stand on how I'd feel about the game given the conversation about the title throughout the week on this thread which was similar when I had mentioned a while back how I had felt to be in the minority side that really did not like Castle Crashers (establishing my odd taste in games, but elaborating on the technical reasons for my distaste in the title) which was also a 10th anniversary discount. At least those who purchased Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 from this sale got it for way less than I did; in some ways I am jealous of your great timing to acquire it at 200MSP, when I thought 400MSP was great for (in my opinion) the definitive twin-stick shooter on XBLA.

You guys on this thread keep reminding me how I really got to get started on Battlefield 1943, since it is an online only XBLA title, and I just do not know if/when the community will dry up or the servers go down. Yet, I think I really should get to promote Nexuiz on my backlog as well for the same reason, the difference being is that I feel Nexuiz may have already suffered my aforementioned feared problems. Both of these titles are purchases I appreciated being on discount, but if I don't get to giving them some proper time, may quickly change into regret purchases even when they didn't cost much (I think Nexuiz was at the sweet 200MSP price, and Battlefield 1943 at 560MSP during a New Years countdown).

Oh yeah, Peggle is always a great time-waster as well. It is one of those games you must have at least tried on some platform, and hopefully you chose to get it on one of the many sales it has been on if not now for XBLA (but it's okay if you chose to get it on another platform and chose to pass up its "chill gaming" experience on an Xbox 360).

This coming week, unfortunately I will pass on I am Alive given its discount price being a tad higher than what I am willing to give for what I know of it. I hope the Sales & Specials + app or some Games on Demand title (like Deathsmiles 2X) brings a discount that will eat into my moon point pocketbook. At least I have great expectations for the Black Friday and Cyber Monday discounts ... don't let me down, Live team.

EDIT: Sorry I lost the original posters on this thread, but I want to thank the one who opened my eyes to "Derrick the Deathfin". Also thanks to Cornelius to great descriptions to the value of the DLC to XBLA Catan and Carcassonne, helps in my decision if those ever drop in price. Finally, on an unrelated note, dammit Konami you released this on the 360 a year ago, I am still wanting a localization NAO!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='PlowK1NG']Cliffs?[/QUOTE]

The TL; DR version is that Crono greatly respects me and bases his purchasing decisions on my opinions. As such, I think he is a terrific guy!

LOL. Crono always cracks me up with the mini novels. One time he just replied to a post with a simple "Yes" I swear I almost shit myself.

OH SNAP! I see an update of the tab to include some Black Friday deals! Already the Sega Vintage Collections appear to be priced around 400MSP! Tenorman's Revenge, Gunstringer & DLC, Warp, Magic 2013 & DLC, Spelunky, Lara Croft: Guardian of Light, Daytona USA, Space Channel 5 Part 2, Rock Band Blitz, Forza 4 DLC, Darksiders 2 DLC, L4D2 DLC, Dead Island DLC, Sleeping Dogs DLC ... it's looking to be great!

I can't wait to just purchase up all the Sega Vintage Collection offerings. Sadly all I want from the Monster World set is Monster World 4, as The Super Shinobi (The Revenge of Shinobi) is to the Alex Kidd set. The Bare Knuckle (Streets of Rage) set is all good, and the Golden Axe games is pretty fair at the price. Unlike the previous Backbone emulated Sega titles, I really approve of the way M2 gives options for the SVC releases. [Cannot say for Toejam & Earl, since I still ignore it because it doesn't appear to be part of the sale, sorry CainiaPrime (forgot caps order)].

Now I will need your opinions on Tenorman's Revenge, since I loved the earlier tower defense game, both for its South Park homages and its co-op play, but this one appears to be a platformer-ish game, and I have not tried the demo yet. So given 400MSP off, I'm calling for a further examination. Also, I'll open up to hearing about Warp again.

I can definitely recommend Spelunky, it has been one of my most played games of 2012. It is like a fine, well-aged prostitute, she has many tricks, she is cruel, and laughs at you when you are naked ... and speaking of prostitutes, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light for someone who never liked any of the prior games, I found this particular XBLA title to be an enjoyable co-op game.

My wall of text post above does mention Magic 2013, while I don't like it especially compared to 2012, it possesses the most balanced match-ups between the decks offered (in the base game, cannot say with the DLC decks). I am not saying there won't be blowouts, but the win-loss ratios between decks are fairly tight, so it is probably best suited for playing against other people. However its Planechase mode, while unique to this edition does feel like it can last a bit long and is nowhere as interesting as 2012's archenemy mode. Also in 2012, just based on the cards I can have a sense of a slight semblance of a story, while 2013's feel in terms of an implied narrative feels like a "filler episode" type of story. I have not looked into its DLC so if someone already made the purchase, I'd like to know more about them, especially the one that is to be on discount. [I only got 2013 because it was one of the games given from PlayXBLA back when it was just "get the achievement, get the games" along with Spelunky ... otherwise, I'd be asking you guys for your thoughts on the game, but if I had to buy, I would tell alternate-timeline radical dreamer version of myself to not get 2013 and just enjoy 2012 which I already had]

[quote name='OregonDealz']Indestructable wall of text[/QUOTE]

I apologize, I try to aim for a space at the end of a page on a day/time which is low traffic such that when I post it could be easily ignored, I was off by 2 posts last time. Yet, I try to keep it as close to the topic of the week's Live sales.

[quote name='cthomer5000']You get any resolution on this? I'm having the same problem, waiting to chat with support now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I kept trying to download it and it worked eventually. Bully Scholarship Edition was downloaded. I think so anyway. It kept starting and restarting and then suddenly finished at 71% but I wasn't paying attention at the time so I'm not sure.

I checked the file size in the hard drive and it said Bully was taking up 3 gigs which I figure is close enough to the 2.9 they said it was. I guess I'll find out eventually if it works or not.

Could you please explain what problem you're having with downloading Bully Scholarship Edition? It could be the exact same problem but you never know.

[quote name='matrix9280']Yeah I kept trying to download it and it worked eventually. Bully Scholarship Edition was downloaded. I think so anyway. It kept starting and restarting and then suddenly finished at 71% but I wasn't paying attention at the time so I'm not sure.

[/QUOTE]

Odd. When I bought Resident Evil 4 I had the same weird thing. I checked and I was 3/4 done at most, then it popped that the download was finished. Checked size and ran the game both were ok.

Of course, since getting the lovely new dash my xbox has also frozen 3 times while just navigating it so maybe we'll be seeing a bug update soon.

[quote name='Crono-00']OH SNAP! I see an update of the tab to include some Black Friday deals! Already the Sega Vintage Collections appear to be priced around 400MSP! Tenorman's Revenge, Gunstringer & DLC, Warp, Magic 2013 & DLC, Spelunky, Lara Croft: Guardian of Light, Daytona USA, Space Channel 5 Part 2, Rock Band Blitz, Forza 4 DLC, Darksiders 2 DLC, L4D2 DLC, Dead Island DLC, Sleeping Dogs DLC ... it's looking to be great!
[/QUOTE]

Damn, it's pretty good sale, but i already have everything decent (except the dlc's, which i won't buy).

Spelunky is easily the best XBLA title this year IMO. I loved the other big XBLA hit - Trials EVO as well, but spend much, much more time with Spelunky. :D

Courtesy @lifelower on Twitter:

9eJ4N.jpg

Nice!! Rockband, Golden Axe, Space Channel 5, and South Park. I hope we get other stuff on sale for Cyber Monday.

Fanboy PSA: Revenge of Shinobi (in the Alex Kidd Collection) is one of the best games ever.

A few words about the sale from my point of view that I'd like to share with you guys.

Awesome! I'm glad that Spelunky is on sale, that's gonna be instabuy at half price for me.
I was gonna buy full house poker but I guess now it can wait :b

I'm not so sure if I want to buy any of the Sega SVCs since I'm fed up playing those in the past (arcades, consoles) or through emulators nowdays. Sure it's convenient to have them in my XBLA collection but I do not wish to spend more money for that kind of stuff atm.

Also, I have regretted for not buying Daytona on a previous sale and now is my chance to grab it.

No clue what I'm gonna do yet with the Southpark game...

I'm not going to buy the Lara game since I have it on Steam!

Rock band blitz seems fun to play but I'm trying to resist, because I will be forced to buy tons of its DLCs (damn greedy human nature...)

I already own Space Channel 5: Part 2 from the Dreamcast Collection disc.
I'd like to go fully digital one day but since I have a wishlist to fill, I'll skip this sale for now.

For the rest I didn't mention I'm not gonna bother or I have them already.
That's all folks :)

Some of the games are already on sale; Spelunky does not appear to be one of them.

Rock Band Blitz is a steal at 600 points for it's 25 exportable songs alone.

[quote name='MWB']Some of the games are already on sale; Spelunky does not appear to be one of them.

Rock Band Blitz is a steal at 600 points for it's 25 exportable songs alone.[/QUOTE]

Spelunky showed up for 600 points on my 360--it's already downloading :)

[quote name='wampa8jedi']Spelunky showed up for 600 points on my 360--it's already downloading :)[/QUOTE]

Then get ready for one of the most addictive sufferings of your life (with moments when you will feel are the most proud of your life and a few seconds later will be the most disappointing) and don't expect to achieve 400/400.

If anyone in this forum has done that I want know him and respect him.

Spelunky is by far the best game of the sale. Its tough, but it's highly likable and very fun. You'll want to keep playing even if you are upset about dying, and consequently forgetting about it minutes later.

[quote name='Saren Arterius']Then get ready for one of the most addictive sufferings of your life (with moments when you will feel are the most proud of your life and a few seconds later will be the most disappointing) and don't expect to achieve 400/400.

If anyone in this forum has done that I want know him and respect him.[/QUOTE]

I read that very often in regards to Spelunky, it almost seems like a 2D cutey platform version of Dark Souls... I've played and loved many roguelikes in the past (Izuna, Shiren and 100 Rogues above all), so I'm curious enough to jump on the sale wagon and grab it while I can! :bouncy:

[quote name='aaronrodgers']In for Ulala's Swingin' Report Show![/QUOTE]
I LOL'd at this. Love this game, so it's an Insta-buy for me. It's worth it for Report 4 alone... seriously, nothing tops the second half of Stage 4-2 :applause:

Glad I didn't buy either of the Magic games last week. In for Magic 2013 + DLC, Dead Island's DLC, and surely Vintage collection's for Monster World and Streets of Rage.

That list of deals with Spelunky and Rockband Blitz sounds like are on right now.
Are these early black friday deals or something separate?

Pretty good sale. I own half the stuff like L4D2 + DLC, Dead Island GOTY w/ all DLC, LCGoL, RB Blitz, Warp, and the Dreamcast Collection disc. I'm planning on getting Spelunky and all the SVC packs. And I might own one or both Gunstringer DLC.

Any opinions on the South Park game? What about the various DLC packs for Sleeping Dogs and Darksiders II? I plan on picking up both of those games once they're less than $15-20. I think the SD ones are skin/weapons packs and will have to see if the DSII ones are in the season pass.

EDIT:

I just got home and both Darksiders II DLC are NOT included in the season pass. Neither offer new achievements. Argul's Tomb is a new dungeon and the Death Rides Pack adds more side quests. I'm going to pass for now.

The Sleeping Dogs DLC is worse. The High Roller Pack gives extra in-game $ and early access to a vehicle and outfit. The Top Dog Gold Pack gives extra XP for each faction in the game. The Red Envelope Pack adds those items to the game. Find them all and get $1 million. Triple pass.

It turns out I don't own the Gunstringer DLC so I'll check it out. Still have no clue about the South Park game.

Got Magic 2013 and expansion. For Darksiders 2....is $10 the sale price or is it not on sale yet? Guys don't forget that Dead Island GOTY will be 8 bucks at Best Buy so the DLC here probably isn't worth buying...

[quote name='MySaturdaySelf']is portal 2 $19.99 sale price? or should it be $9.99 for sale?[/QUOTE]

$19.99 is already the sale (1600 MSP), normally it's $29.99 (2400 MSP).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back