XBLA - Magic: The Gathering - 800pts

While I would love the ability to fully edit my decks with the library currently released, I would be satisfied if they cut the necessary base of each deck to 40 cards and let me pickt he remaining 20 so I could stick to the classic 60 card deck and still be competetive. The game makers would have to go through each deck and redefine the core 40 cards, and then set a minimum card limit of 60 to it, but I could see that as a good comprimise to the current style form maintaining a more fair environment and what we all want.

So I picked this up the other day and I love it. I was up until 5:00am one night trying to finish up the challenges. I have played through the campaign once and I guess now I have to do it again to unlock more cards.
I never played the actual card game and I'm unsure about playing online matches. If anyone is still enjoying this game and wouldn't mind playing some online matches to let me wet my feet and perhaps give me some advice I would love it.
Send me a friend request or an invite my Gamertag is Waatulakula.

You can gain more cards by practicing, setting up a match against an AI's specific deck. You could also redo the campaign but it's easier to do it this way.

they'll never allow you to edit the deck fully, because they have an online full version of MtG which allows deck editing but you also buy digital cards etc. sad but true. I'll still get the DLC because i love Magic, but if you want full deck editing play their PC online version or there's always Yu-Gi-Oh!

I'm not saying anything about FULL deck editing. My opinion is based on real life stats where I once played this game back in high school. All my budies were into it and I liked fantasy stuff too. I also liked to stuff my decks with the minimum amount of land thus breaking the game because you were always in abundance of non land cards. Yeah I like the support too and no I'm not interested in the Magic Online game hehe.

I would, but I still have not gotten any of the expansions due to lack of funds. I'd be an easy round for someone if I played however. :) I love Magic, I've just never been any good/am to predictable.

It depends on how the tournament is set up for me to be interested. For instance, would DLC be allowed? If so, only some of it or all of it? 1v1? Best out of 3, 5, 7?

Some specifics would be nice.

I would be interested. As far as dlc goes, I think if the majority have it it should be playable, if not, then no. The one problem might be is that even if we decide to do no dlc those of us with it may already have unlocked the extra cards that came with the dlc for the older decks.

I also think best of 3 for each round(maybe best of 5 for the final?) sounds good. 1 game might not be fair, I know I still have games sometimes where I end up land starved and get rolled.

Looks like we have 8 that have expressed interest now which sounds like a good number for an initial tournament. I guess since not everyone has the DLCs the eligible decks would be up through Scales of Fury? I can't remember off the top of my head where the initial game ended up but that sounds right. Would make 11 decks available.

Do we wanna make a time to meet on XBLA to play? Or would we rather make up some brackets and everyone can work out with their opponent when to play? I know I will be out of town for x-giving weds - sun.

I would like to play in the tournament also.

FYI it looks like DLC pack 3 launches tomorrow as the game just came out on PSN tonight and all 3 DLC packs are available for PS3 owners to purchase so I imagine our version comes out tomorrow.

[quote name='Adobe Jones']Do we wanna make a time to meet on XBLA to play? Or would we rather make up some brackets and everyone can work out with their opponent when to play? I know I will be out of town for x-giving weds - sun.[/QUOTE]

I think it's best since the holidays are fast approaching that we do the latter since finding a time 8(or more?) people want to play can be downright impossible. Best to set up a bracket I think, at least for this first run. If it's a success, we can look into a live tourney but I just don't see that working out with larger than about 4-6 folks.

Alright, after the holiday weekend I'll make up the brackets and it will be between you and your opponent when the match is. Continue to post if you want to be involved and make sure we know what your gamer tag is!

Back from the break, ready to get started on organizing this crazy tournament. Here's how to enter:

Send me a PM with your Gamertag, which if any DLC you have, what times you are available to play and your time zone.

I'll post the brackets in this forum.

Cool, so far five entries, We'll keep it open for one more day, and I will message some people who showed earlier interest, and feel free to recruit some more peeps

Alright, I've got the brackets ready, but first some ground rules

1 - This is a best of 3 games, at least, if you agree with your opponent to do best of 5 or 7 or whatever, that's fine as long as you both agree.

2 - You can use all available DLC. I have matched people for the first round with similar DLC. Again, you can agree with your opponent to not use the DLC for a more fair matchup

3 - Let's say we have a week to play the first round? I know this is a busy time of year. If we have a major problem with this we'll change it.

4 - If you cannot play your match in a week let me know and I will sub you out. We have an odd number of entries, so right now I'm not playing, but would love to if some one drops out.

5 - post the reseults in this forum or message me

Bracket format

CAGname
Gamertag
Availability
DLC owned

WTPolaris VS zewone
Typical Knave / zewonebeerleft
8pm on Eastern / Open, pacific
both DLC / both DLC

The Xexutioner VS adriley313
xThaXecutionerx / psiguy3
5p to 5a central, no weds / Arizona time zone nites
both dlc / 2nd DLC

MSUHitman VS OnyxPrimal
MSUHitman / Dark Jedi 911
evenings after 7 pm central / after 11:00 PM EST
both dlc / NO dlc

NeoFrank1 VS itlnstln
Viscragor / HotItlnStln
Evenings, no Mondays, Pacific / Easterm after 6p, all day sat & sun
Both dlc / NO dlc

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for setting this up! Sorry, I meant to get back to you last night but I was at work. I'm in EST. I'll be sending a friend request/CAG PM to zewone to try to set up our match for sometime this weekend.

Sorry I can't respond to your PM on my phone but I'm out of town right now, but ill be back tomorrow and hopefully we can play.

WTPolaris and I had our match last night. He won the first match, but I was able to come out on top with the last two. Good games.

MSUHitman - if you want to play me in the first round since we both have the two DLC packs and our current opponents don't have any, let me know.

[quote name='Adobe Jones']I think only one game has been played? is that right? remember I'm available as an alternate[/QUOTE]Bad timing on my part from last night prevented us from getting our match it. I'm sure we'll get our game in tonight or tomorrow, hopefully.

I'm up for playing any night but I have no room on my friends list. I'm usually on the XBox anywhere from 7 pm-2 am central standard time.

adriley313 and I played our match today, and I won 2-1 overall.

Warm-up Game (we had issues with hearing people in the party and stuff to sort out while playing) - White vs. Elves
He was able to get a few quick Elves out, but I was able to get offense in the air along with two first strike knights on the ground and two 0/4 walls. I whittled him down with 1-2 damage per turn while being able to hold him back.

Game 1 - Dragons vs. Dragons
I went with a mediocre hand, as I didn't expect him to choose Dragons also, and paid the price for it. He chipped me down with a team of 1/1 goblins and what not to quickly take the first game.

Game 2 - Elves vs. Dragons
I kept a hand with plenty of land and two Immaculate Magistrate and was able to pump the hell out of 3-4 other Elves and bullrush him to take Game 2. Luckily, no destroy creature spells showed up for him.

Game 3 - Black vs. Elves
I almost went with the Red/Green/White deck, but decided to stick with the more consistent Black deck and it paid off. He wasn't able to get many Elves out and I was able to get 4-6 damage per turn going in the air, along with Underworld Dreams which did 1 damage each time he drew. I took Game 3.

I enjoyed it, and it was cool to talk about Magic and CAG and w/e else for a little bit while we played.

Ready for Round 2 :cool:

Was prompted to get a patch for this, and then was prompted to re-download the whole game again because there is a new version of the game available. Checked on their forums and they say it's to prep it for the incoming expansion 3. Hopefully it's soon cause it's been on PS3/PC forever it seems. Anyway, a few of the graphics have changed, foil cards have been added, although locked and seemingly no way to unlock them as of now(although the AI plays with them), and the game finally lets me finish it to 100% completion(there was a coop campaign bug that would never let me pass a certain battle no matter how many times I beat it, even after deleting and redownloading the game and expansions like some suggested). I had hoped more bugs were ironed out, but I've still had multiple game lock-ups in 3 player games with friends. Close, but not quite there yet. Here's hoping they drop exp3 pretty damn soon now.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Again like I said just message me sometime on CAG during the day or on Live at night.[/QUOTE]
Sorry for off-topic: Everytime I look at your avatar, I'm sad because I wish there were more VS. TCGs in video game form. I'm playing through Marvel TCG now on PSP and it's the best, most addictive TCG I've ever played.

On topic: Still excited for Magic expansion 3 but all these bugs are really bringing down my desire to play this game. :(

bread's done
Back