XBLA - Mega Man 9 - 800pts

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)

Features

The original 2-D classic Mega Man returns in Mega Man 9 for Xbox LIVE® Arcade! This latest Mega Man title brings the series back to its old-school roots with retro action platforming gameplay and classic 8-bit graphics and sound. Relive the Mega Man experience with classically inspired bosses, each with their own unique weapons and weaknesses.

Set after the events of Mega Man 8, multiple riots have sprung up all over the world. While many people suspect that this is another plot from Dr. Wily, Dr. Light is stunned to recognize that some of the robots rioting on the TV screen are his own creations. Even more stunning, Dr. Wily appears on television to proclaim that Dr. Light is the evil mastermind behind these latest catastrophic incidents and it's up to Mega Man to clear his creator's name!

• Classic Mega Man: The fun and addictive Mega Man graphics and gameplay are focused around defeating bosses and acquiring a diverse arsenal of weapons.
  • Challenging stages: With more than a dozen challenging levels to tackle and more than 50 new enemy and bosses to battle, you'll need to be at the top of your game.
  • Acclaimed developer: The character designs were directed by Keiji Inafune, the original character designer of Mega Man.
  • Online extras: With the Xbox LIVE leaderboard ranking system, track your score and time with other Mega Man 9 players. Plus, look for downloadable content in the future!

Achievements: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/mega-man-9/achievements/

First, Capcom has confirmed to IGN that Mega Man 1 and 2 will be coming to the Virtual Console soon. And second, Mega Man 9 will also release for Xbox Live and PlayStation Network respectively. No, it's not a WiiWare exclusive, but nevertheless, it's going to make an excellent addition to the libraries of all three consoles.
Full details and trailer here: http://wii.ign.com/articles/888/888041p1.html

Direct link to trailer: http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14260822/mega-man-9/videos/mm9multidebu.html?download=true

Oh....and I almost forgot :drool:

Last edited by a moderator:
YES! I really didn't want to buy this for Wii, and am very happy that I don't :) If the Wii gets the earlier Mega Man games on VC, I hope that means XBLA will get some more of the Mega Man pie. The X series would be REALLY nice :)

I gotta go for the PS3 port. Then it'll mesh with my Mega Man Anniversary and Mega Man X Collection discs. The 360's d-pad is unacceptable for a game like this.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']I don't know why you'd play with a D-pad anyway.[/quote]

What do you recommend?

Don't remember too many analog sticks on my NES controllers.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']But this isn't on your NES.[/quote]

Sure looks like it though...

While I do like the old Mega Man games, personally not too excited in this nostalgia for nostalgia's sake. Nonetheless, awesome for fans that it's coming to Live as well!

[quote name='zewone']Maybe if it looked good.

As it is now.

Meh.[/QUOTE]

Same. I'm all for gettin' nostalgic, but it looks identical to all of the MM's on the NES (which, in turn, look identical to each other). I wouldn't mind a bit of shine.

Is #9 using the same piece of shit saving system also?

I'd get it for Wii if it had room....the d-pad is far far better.

Might have to get it for 360 because of that.

I'll still be getting this for the Wii just because the D-pad is so much better (on both the Wii remote and Classic controller). Gameplay>Achievements

...unless the 360 version has bonus content or something...

I loved the old Mega Man games, but watching that trailer, I wonder how I ever dealt with that music. I'll still pick this up though, but I may have to mute the music. :lol:

[quote name='PrarieD0G']I'll still be getting this for the Wii just because the D-pad is so much better (on both the Wii remote and Classic controller). Gameplay>Achievements

...unless the 360 version has bonus content or something...[/QUOTE]

Uh....the gameplay would be the same, it's just a matter of control preference. Mega Man really only needs the left and right parts of the D-pad so there won't be cumbersome moments like in Street Fighter or Guilty Gear.

What are the chances of the game having 16x9? Or being originally created in 720p even though it's only 8-bit?

Anyways, achievements, hell yes.

Oh man!
I was THISCLOSE to getting my friend to buy a Wii for this game too. :doh:

That being said, I suppose I'll get it on PS3 since I have the Mega Man Anniversary Collection, X Collection, and X7 & X8 on PS2 and it'd be nice to have the whole series on one console.

I wonder if it'll have trophy support??

This was already a Day 1 immediate buy for me. I love retro games, and this one will prove challenging, to say the least.

BJ

Why wouldn't it be 800 points? The 360's d-pad decided which version I'm getting. It's pretty much known that all Capcom games this fall with have trophies for PS3/PSN games so achievements aren't interesting to me for this game. Give me the game in where I can actually play it old school style.

[quote name='Rig']Achievements decided which console is getting the game at my house.[/QUOTE]

Same here... It'd be really tough to buy a PS3/Wii version of a game that's also on 360. PS3 has trophies now but I'm not sure if I'll ever find them as compelling as Achievements. Maybe when they start being integrated into Home.

[quote name='rabbitt']Same. I'm all for gettin' nostalgic, but it looks identical to all of the MM's on the NES (which, in turn, look identical to each other). I wouldn't mind a bit of shine.

Is #9 using the same piece of shit saving system also?[/quote]

you guys are all fuckin' crazy... why would you want a new Mega Man on XBL to be anything BUT the old school version.... I think it's awesome, especially as a person who rented the original game as a kid, and then bought every sequel... (I have that anniversary disc, but bought a 40gig PS3 so I have basically stopped playing it, although I have all of them on my old modded XBox)

Day 1 purchase for me, that dragon boss looks IMPOSSIBLE to beat.

Fail.
If this is what the "fans" wanted, they should be shot.
Money in their pocket as people will eat it up. Cost them maybe $20 bucks to make. What a shame.
Utilizing the current consoles technologies, they could of at least gave us decent graphics and sound, and still made out like bandits.

I'll be skipping this one, for the principle.

I really like 2D games and want more of them. But making this like a NES game is a turn-off for me. Sure grapics don't make the game, but look at it this way. Why not use modern 2D graphics and music and keep the old school gameplay?

[quote name='mogamer']I really like 2D games and want more of them. But making this like a NES game is a turn-off for me. Sure grapics don't make the game, but look at it this way. Why not use modern 2D graphics and music and keep the old school gameplay?[/QUOTE]

According to DestroVega, that would be fuckin' crazy. Don't ask me why.

This is the year of Rebooting/Reviving franchises...and I LOVE it, man.

Any other creative direction they could have taken would just not have worked right now.

After MM9, they should make a Mega Man X9, and follow that creative direction. But no more 3D/Star Force/Exe/wannabe-anime bullshyt

[quote name='drone8888']Fail.
If this is what the "fans" wanted, they should be shot.
Money in their pocket as people will eat it up. Cost them maybe $20 bucks to make. What a shame.
Utilizing the current consoles technologies, they could of at least gave us decent graphics and sound, and still made out like bandits.

I'll be skipping this one, for the principle.[/QUOTE]

Fail.

This is what the fans want and it's all about the nostalgia and I welcome it with open arms, even the 8-bit music. Inafune is insane to do it and I'm sure the risk is low, but I think people will eat this up. It's the game people have been wanting while we've been subjected to a decade of shitty Mega Man games. It's about damn time they got back to their roots. Although, I suspect everyone's responses are highly dependent on whether or not they grew up with Mega Man 1-3.

I rarely play my Wii, but might have to go that route for the d-pad alone. Not to mention I have the GCN collection so it will be right at home. There's something wrong with playing an 8-bit MM game on a non-Nintendo console.

What would totally kick ass is if they actually pressed a NES cartridge for sale. It's probably cost prohibitive to do so, but they could easily charge $20 for it and toss in a code to d/l it on the Wii. I don't own a NES anymore but would consider picking it up just for this.

I disagree, Corvin. People do want a traditional entry in the Mega Man series, but there's a stark division in the fans regarding whether it should be an NES game or not.

[quote name='eastx']I disagree, Corvin. People do want a traditional entry in the Mega Man series, but there's a stark division in the fans regarding whether it should be an NES game or not.[/quote]

Maybe it depends on your age. For my money, I'd rather have this... I have enough games with new graphics and in-depth gameplay.

Shit, if they made an updated Tecmo Super Bowl with currents teams and rosters and put it on XBL I'd buy that... sometimes I have much more fun playing that than Madden.

8-bit is the way to go. The NES Mega Man games are still so much fun. but it's not surprising that plenty of people just won't understand.

[quote name='DestroVega']Maybe it depends on your age. For my money, I'd rather have this... I have enough games with new graphics and in-depth gameplay.

Shit, if they made an updated Tecmo Super Bowl with currents teams and rosters and put it on XBL I'd buy that... sometimes I have much more fun playing that than Madden.[/QUOTE]

I'll second that. I'm actually interested in this because its 8-bit. Don't get me wrong, I would check it out anyways but my interest wouldn't be there

I'm still getting it for the Wii as I think it will control better with the Wiimote (or CC's) d-pad, but I am glad it is coming out for everything. It just seems right to play this game on an Nintendo system though.

This is Capcom, did we think it was not going multi-platform?

I do like how the first few posts were bashing on the Wii because MM9 is not an exclusive. These are the same people who were most likey saying "The game looks like a shitty NES game anyway, who cares?" when it was first announced to be WiiWare only.

I'll pass. I just have no interest in old school games on my 50" HDTV. Part of the reason I ditched the Wii is old VC games looked like ass on it. Stuff has to be 16x9 and 720p or I'm not wasting my time on it.

Now if they put something like this on the DS I may bite--though probably not for Mega Man as I was never a gigantic fan of the series. Graphics don't matter on the DS, and old school games make for good pick up and play for a bit games which is how I use my DS. The 360 I generally won't turn on unless I have a good 2-3 hours to play.

Since its $10 on Wii it'll probably be 800 on XBLA. Not worth it compared to other XBLA options. Isn't Bionic Commando Rearmed supposed to be 800?

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'll pass. I just have no interest in old school games on my 50" HDTV. Part of the reason I ditched the Wii is old VC games looked like ass on it. Stuff has to be 16x9 and 720p or I'm not wasting my time on it.[/QUOTE]

You sold it? I thought you were all about the Nintendo franchises.

Mega Man 8:

mega_man_8_image14.jpg

Mega Man 9:

mega-man-cosplay.jpg

[quote name='Corvin']You sold it? I thought you were all about the Nintendo franchises.[/QUOTE]

Gave it to my girlfriends brother and his family, they have a blast with it, especially the 3 year old.

I love Nintendo games, but honestly I'd gotten a bit sick of them. Plus I'd already played Mario, Metroid and Zelda which are really the only 3 I still really dig these days and I'm not optimistic any of those will get a sequel this gen.

Add in that I hated the motion controls and not having HD and the shitty online system and I just didn't need it around any longer.

bread's done
Back