XBLA - Mega Man 9 - 800pts

[quote name='zewone']Mega Man 8:

mega_man_8_image14.jpg

Mega Man 9:

mega-man-cosplay.jpg
[/QUOTE]

lol

That's really the problem I have with the graphics. 7, 8, Power Fighters, and Mega Man & Bass (which for some reason looks better than 8 despite being on a technically inferior hardware) made these graphic improvements to the the series and now they're going back to the 8-bit era.

If this were a spin off or called something other than Mega Man 9 I'd be totally fine with it, but as it is now, it feels like a step back for the series.

[quote name='DestroVega']you guys are all fuckin' crazy... why would you want a new Mega Man on XBL to be anything BUT the old school version.... I think it's awesome, especially as a person who rented the original game as a kid, and then bought every sequel... (I have that anniversary disc, but bought a 40gig PS3 so I have basically stopped playing it, although I have all of them on my old modded XBox)

Day 1 purchase for me, that dragon boss looks IMPOSSIBLE to beat.[/QUOTE]

I understand nostalgia, as I too get reminiscent every now and then. What I don't understand is how a company can get away with putting close to no effort in a game, creativity-wise, and still get the same tongue-wagging, "e-boner" reaction from its fanbase.

There is a big difference between striking a nostalgic nerve with gamers and feeding them the same bullshit over and over again and I think this is one of the main reasons why the video game industry is struggling to become a respected medium.

I suppose they sold the same game eight other times, so this was an easy decision for Capcom to make. Copy, paste. Move this ladder here, take out this platform, and voilà, $.

Not saying that MM 9 won't be any fun (I've got some free points, so I might give it a go) but for the people who think this is an absolutely brilliant move for Capcom, it's not.

[quote name='rabbitt']I understand nostalgia, as I too get reminiscent every now and then. What I don't understand is how a company can get away with putting close to no effort in a game, creativity-wise, and still get the same tongue-wagging, "e-boner" reaction from its fanbase.

There is a big difference between striking a nostalgic nerve with gamers and feeding them the same bullshit over and over again and I think this is one of the main reasons why the video game industry is struggling to become a respected medium..[/QUOTE]

Except the fallacy of your argument is the fact that they haven't fed us this 8-bit gaming for 15 years.

[quote name='Corvin']Except the fallacy of your argument is the fact that they haven't fed us this 8-bit gaming for 15 years.[/QUOTE]

What have they changed about the gameplay?

8-bit, 16-bit, doesn't matter. The core of the Megaman games haven't changed one bit.

Actually they did add new moves like the slide, the charge shot, etc.. And of course there was no Rush in the first Mega Man game. But this new title apparently excises the slide and charge shot, which is another step back.

Yes, nostalgia is good, but you can have a nostalgic experience without such decidedly low production values. When the first Mega Man game out, were you guys wishing it had used Atari 2600 graphics instead?

low production values, doesn't take advantage of next gen power, shitty graphics, no effort...these things mean nothing in the face of nostalgia. the game is being made, don't buy it? :cool:

I can't wait to DL this and play it. I can see it now: Saturday night. I have no date, a 2 liter bottle of Shasta, and my all Rush mixtape...let's rock.

It looks fine, as long it plays good I don't give a fuck.

Just hope they at least try to give it a somewhat decent storyline. Not expecting something epic, just something better than standard Wily crap of 5-7 and maybe tie that shit into the MMX series (having Zero as the final boss would an awesome touch).

Am I the only one who minds it being just a download, cheaper yes but I'll never feel like I own it without some damn packaging, if this is the future of gaming what will there be to collect?

Wow you guys are complaining about 800 points when you could get those points free right now if you look at the free contests section of CAG. Gheesh.

Between this and the 1942 remix. I'm psyched. I am just waiting on a solid release date for HD remix.

[quote name='jputahraptor']Am I the only one who minds it being just a download, cheaper yes but I'll never feel like I own it without some damn packaging, if this is the future of gaming what will there be to collect?[/QUOTE]

The developers are hoping for future gaming to go all digital = more money for them. No used copies means they could control the cost of the market and their own sales chart.

The nostalgia wasn't because the graphics sucked. At the time, they were pretty damn good. Nostalgia is because your brain is flooded with social nonsense, and as a child, you could get lost in Megaman's world with not a worry in sight. That's why kid's (like the Halo 3 kid), and most children can make pretend, and improvise creative scenarios out of a dog house, marbles, bleach and a frog. You want to return to your childhood, as do we all. When gaming was tough, cutting edge, and catered to the lonely nerds.

I grew up with Atari's, Nes and onward. Megaman was, and still is one of my favorite franchises ever. Saddly, I cannot justify paying a single cent for this game. It's for one, a marketing ploy, to scope out the morons who'll buy into franchise, and two, to cement their prior knowledge that morons will buy this because it's the franchise.

Within a week this game could be whipped up, and translated onto all 3 consoles, for less than the cost of the salary workers.

If this was in a commemorative box of Megaman Berries cereal, I'd pay $10 for the box, and never open it. Then wait for another "COLLECTION" which had this turd covered shit in it to play it.

Sad day Cap, sad day indeed.

So when classics come to online services (VC, XBL, whatever) everyone is excited, but if a new game that no one's ever played before comes out, people bitch about it? Technically you should care more about paying $10 for a digital copy of a game you've played the hell out of (IE Mega Man 1 &2, which are also coming out on at least VC) for the past 10 years instead of something new and unfamiliar.

Especially for a game like Mega Man. If Square decided to make a new Final Fantasy that played like FF1, it would be a terrible idea (although Dawn of Souls was alright). But the Mega Man series has aged nicer than almost any other 8-bit series, and is still a helluva lot of fun to play.

If Miyamoto made a new 8-bit Mario, or Sega made a new 2-D, 16-bit Sonic, you can bet your ass people would be excited. It's the same thing.

[quote name='johnnypark']So when classics come to online services (VC, XBL, whatever) everyone is excited, but if a new game that no one's ever played before comes out, people bitch about it? [/QUOTE]

Who says the people who like old games on the VC etc. are the one's bitching about this?

I have no interest in playing 8 bit games period, be they classic games or newly made games.

[quote name='johnnypark']So when classics come to online services (VC, XBL, whatever) everyone is excited, but if a new game that no one's ever played before comes out, people bitch about it?

If Miyamoto made a new 8-bit Mario, or Sega made a new 2-D, 16-bit Sonic, you can bet your ass people would be excited. It's the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Miyamoto did make that "New Super Mario Bros." game for DS and it sold tremendously well. You'll notice that it did not feature 8-bit graphics and accomplished some graphical tricks that not even the SNES could pull off. Yet anybody who likes the original Super Mario Bros. game could buy it and have a blast.

People are complaining because some of us expect a little more work to be put into our games. This game does not have to have 8-bit graphics. Anyone who says it wouldn't still be a nostalgic experience if it had better graphics is lying to themselves.

[quote name='DestroVega']Maybe it depends on your age. For my money, I'd rather have this... I have enough games with new graphics and in-depth gameplay.

Shit, if they made an updated Tecmo Super Bowl with currents teams and rosters and put it on XBL I'd buy that... sometimes I have much more fun playing that than Madden.[/QUOTE]

http://www.nesreproductions.com/
check the bottom of the page

Man, if they did a Pong sequel, with the same graphics, only now they were boobs flying across the screen, I'd consider buying it for $10. OH, NO, wait,... my internet pron site only costs $10 bucks for unlimited HD downloads.

Yah, I went there.

Point is, everyone will buy it out of loyalty. Enjoy it, and keep the thread in the back of your mind, as you wonder why 11yo's on the web make Flash games that look more professional than this steaming pile.
Oh, FYI,... I own a shit ton of 8-bit, and old school soundtracks, but there is new tech that allows for that music to be brought to us in 5/7.1 now, and mastered and orchestrated to enhance the emulsion. Cost: around 5 bucks.

[quote name='eastx']Miyamoto did make that "New Super Mario Bros." game for DS and it sold tremendously well. You'll notice that it did not feature 8-bit graphics and accomplished some graphical tricks that not even the SNES could pull off. Yet anybody who likes the original Super Mario Bros. game could buy it and have a blast.

People are complaining because some of us expect a little more work to be put into our games. This game does not have to have 8-bit graphics. Anyone who says it wouldn't still be a nostalgic experience if it had better graphics is lying to themselves.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I wouldn't have gave a shit about NSMB if it had 8 bit graphics. I loved it because it had old school gameplay combined with modern graphics.

It's nothing to do with age either. I'm 29 and grew up on Atari and NES, but that doesn't mean I want to take steps backwards and play those old games are play new games that look like those old games.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Exactly. I wouldn't have gave a shit about NSMB if it had 8 bit graphics. I loved it because it had old school gameplay combined with modern graphics.

It's nothing to do with age either. I'm 29 and grew up on Atari and NES, but that doesn't mean I want to take steps backwards and play those old games are play new games that look like those old games.[/QUOTE]

NSMB was pretty sweet. Either way we're getting an old school mega man. I'll take 8-bit or 16 or whatever you call NSMB, I don't care as long as the core gameplay is there.

[quote name='Lokki']I loved the old Mega Man games, but watching that trailer, I wonder how I ever dealt with that music. I'll still pick this up though, but I may have to mute the music. :lol:[/quote]
It would be nice to see custom soundtrack support. I could only imagine Mega Man rocking out to some Iron Maiden ...

That sucks, we're getting it a week later. I guess Microsoft didn't want Mega Man 9 to compete with Duke Nukem 3D.

Come on guys, so MM9 got pushed back a little. We still have this to keep us busy:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXvQQZwKE1I[/media]

[quote name='Rodimus']Come on guys, so MM9 got pushed back a little. We still have this to keep us busy[/QUOTE]

Time to reveal my deep, dark secret....

That's the only version of Mega Man 1 I've ever played

Why is this 800 pts?

And I wish they had made the graphics better. A Mega Man 7 or 8 like style in HD would have been amazing. Also, I don't get why they got rid of some of the (now) standard Mega Man moves (like the charges shot).

I guess this game is a fan service game for those who grew up on Mega Man on the NES (I didn't start playing Megaman games until it hit the SNES).

looks good, but I would of rather had a new game based of the Mega man snes X series, hopefully it comes to partnernet so I don't have to pay for it.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Time to reveal my deep, dark secret....

That's the only version of Mega Man 1 I've ever played
[/quote]

It's actually Mega Man 3 for DOS. I still have it hidden away somewhere. I wonder if it's worth anything?

[quote name='Rodimus']It's actually Mega Man 3 for DOS. I still have it hidden away somewhere. I wonder if it's worth anything?[/QUOTE]

Ahh weird. I had it when I was a wee lad.

Which is kinda weird, cause I also had Mega Man 3 for NES. They were nothing alike if memory serves.

I remember running that version off of Dos Shell. Those were the days.

As the video shows it was pretty awful. There were only 3 master robots. I remember when I finally got it up and running and was so disappointed. Unfortunately, those were the days....

[quote name='ananag112']Why is this 800 pts?

And I wish they had made the graphics better. A Mega Man 7 or 8 like style in HD would have been amazing. Also, I don't get why they got rid of some of the (now) standard Mega Man moves (like the charges shot).

I guess this game is a fan service game for those who grew up on Mega Man on the NES (I didn't start playing Megaman games until it hit the SNES).[/quote]

You guess?

That's exactly what it is. You don't throw in intentional screen glitches without it being solely for nostalgia/fan service.

And it's fantastic.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Can't wait for this. I wonder if I should pop open MM Anniversary Collection and play it from the beginning.[/quote]

yeah.. I have a 40 gb PS3 and my only regret with it is that I can't play MM Anniversary Collection on it.

I want to give 360 owners a heads up as MM9 on Wii Ware, it's Operations Manual has 800 points worth of DLC mentioned that's coming in October. Bullshit if you ask me.

bread's done
Back