XBLA - Rez HD - 800pts

[quote name='nate88']who looks at the tutorial for an arcade game?[/quote]

I do, I always look at the tutorials for arcade games that I've never played.

[quote name='KiLL3r']I do, I always look at the tutorials for arcade games that I've never played.[/quote]

:joystick:

Me too for any game, not just arcade. I though everyone did.

I look at tutorials. Unless of course I absolutely know what to do. This is my first time playing Rez, hence me playing the tutorial :lol:

Give me a friend request if you guys want to check out leaderboards. I enjoy the leaderboard competition, Rez gets crazy replay value from that.

[quote name='taint mcgee']What do you get from ranking first in score attack?[/QUOTE]

You get the achievement for doing it on all 5 stages, and I believe it unlocks Boss Rush in beyond mode. Every achievement seems to unlock something else in the game, which is quite spiffy.

I need to go finish the direct assault trance achievement (is this the last unlock under direct assault?), which will get me at least close to the 10 hour playtime achievement. Then I just need to play score attack about 20 more times, and I'm set!

just bought it right now and thought it was okay enough when i played the demo, but this has to be one of the most overhyped games i ever played.

[quote name='triforcer']just bought it right now and thought it was okay enough when i played the demo, but this has to be one of the most overhyped games i ever played.[/quote]

You don't have the 2nd, 3rd and 4th controllers plugged in do you? ;)

Man, I've unlocked the trance mission in beyond mode, and it's... Golly, whoever made this game had to have been on something. It's like the game is coded in Acid.Net or something.

Man, some of the best $10 I've spent on a game though. I honestly don't know why the game makes me zone out like it does, but man is it awesome.

I couldn't beat the level 3 boss for the life of me. Has to be the only enemy in the game i haven't killed. I'm at like 97% for level 3.

do you know which thing you are missing on the 3rd level? Just be sure to shoot the boxes as soon as you can get them. This might not be a game that quite clicks with everyone, but its certainly not overhyped. Its such an original gaming experience that its well worth anyone's 10 bucks. Playing it on a projector with surround sound is engulfing. I really feel sucked into the game.

I have never played Rez before and bought it last night. What a mind fuck this thing is when you're sleepy. I had to plug in my Play n Charge kit too since my battery was low, the vibration got so much stronger when I plugged in. I had an odd tingling in my hands. Turned the volume up high and felt the bass kicking too. What a game. Sadly I died right when I believe I was about to beat level 5. So much crazy shit was happening I thought for a sec that I beat it since it showed the credits too.

[quote name='halfbent']I just cannot get 100% analyzation on Stage 3 for the life of me. 4 runs in a row with 90% now. =\[/quote]i don't eve know how i was getting 100% analyzation, but i always do for all the levels.

after playing area 4 and 5 i'm more into this game. gonna keep giving it a chance and get the 200 achievements or get some drugs so i can better enjoy the experience.

[quote name='halfbent']Not sure what I'm missing on 3, don't think it's the boxes tho, unless there is more than one type that I'm missing.[/QUOTE]

The boxes are the only thing that adds to your analyzation.

level 5 is so crazy when you start to kill different stages of the final boss. I still find the level 3 boss the hardest in the game. Anytime those green missiles come I'm getting hit.

[quote name='Liquid 2']95% on Area 5 is looking to be impossible. =/[/QUOTE]

Practice and liberal use of your overdrives are your friends. Remember that you get fully upgraded before the boss and that it is easy to pick up 3-4 overdrives before the final part of the boss.

No tricks from what I can gather. Shoot red pick ups to get Overdrives. Shot blue to increase health/level up. Umm.. keep an eye out for them :D

[quote name='Corvin']Are there any tricks to picking up overdrives or leveling up your character?[/QUOTE]

Alot of the powerups are only released if you destroy a group of enemies. Like if there is a group of 8 enemies in formation, you would have to destory them all to get the powerup.

[quote name='Puzznic']Alot of the powerups are only released if you destroy a group of enemies. Like if there is a group of 8 enemies in formation, you would have to destory them all to get the powerup.[/QUOTE]

That's what I figured, just wasn't sure.

Wow this game is a trip, but damn it's short.

I haven't got any further than world 2 but if I continue like I'm doing now i'll have it finished in a good hour or so.
The vibe is pretty spectacular though. I just wish there was something like a cushion for in the neck or something.

[quote name='kaaspeer']Wow this game is a trip, but damn it's short.

I haven't got any further than world 2 but if I continue like I'm doing now i'll have it finished in a good hour or so.
The vibe is pretty spectacular though. I just wish there was something like a cushion for in the neck or something.[/QUOTE]

the last level you will need to set some time aside for.

Is there some trick to beating area 5 in score attack that I'm not aware of? I shot down 98% and only got 294k points. Wtf?

I thought I was maximizing my chain combos...

[quote name='insertcleverthing']Is there some trick to beating area 5 in score attack that I'm not aware of? I shot down 98% and only got 294k points. Wtf?

I thought I was maximizing my chain combos...[/QUOTE]

I got it on my first try, I'm not sure on my shot down %. I think I was around 240k before the boss and I just spent a lot of time at the end. Never attack the boss directly, shoot everything around it and eventually it will sort of time out and kill itself.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I got it on my first try, I'm not sure on my shot down %. I think I was around 240k before the boss and I just spent a lot of time at the end. Never attack the boss directly, shoot everything around it and eventually it will sort of time out and kill itself.[/quote]
Thanks Mr. Unoriginal! I beat it last night using your strategy. Once I was in the last boss room I just shot randomly until I saw I had creeped up over 300k and then killed the boss ending with 340k points in total.

Then I tried Boss Rush using form 1... Hey, that's hard. Guess I'll just keep playing score attack until I unlock some higher forms. Annoying.

Level 5 is frustrating to get a high shot down percentage. I feel like I'm gonna quit, i keep gettin like 87% shot down. And also is there anyway to tell how long i played? I need ten hours.

[quote name='lilboo']For the one achievement, you have to actually complete score attack 30 times? Dying doesn't count?[/QUOTE]

Correct. Get used to level 1 I'd say.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']This game is so great.
I just need to be sober when going against the Area 5 boss. :/[/QUOTE]

What fun is that? :D

I should finish the score attack achievement this weekend...

[quote name='insertcleverthing']Then I tried Boss Rush using form 1... Hey, that's hard. Guess I'll just keep playing score attack until I unlock some higher forms. Annoying.[/QUOTE]

Completing the various modes of direct assault will unlock additional forms.

You kids and your mind-altering substances... Oi. (also, get off my lawn and turn down your devil music)

I thought form unlocks where tied to play time (or 100% shot down ratings in area 1-5). I like Rez, but I don't "play-score-attack-30-times" like it. I think I'll try this direct assault mode you speak of and get boss rush and trance over with.

Rez is a fun game.. I'm just not good enough at it yet. I can't beat the Boss on the 1st stage. All well, I'm still enjoying it far more then any XBLA game.

Finally finished 3 and made it to the boss of 4 on the same game. I had, literally, a hair left of his power when he killed me. :(

Any tips. He kept running over me. is there a proper way to dodge to keep from getting trampled?

[quote name='Corvin']Finally finished 3 and made it to the boss of 4 on the same game. I had, literally, a hair left of his power when he killed me. :(

Any tips. He kept running over me. is there a proper way to dodge to keep from getting trampled?[/QUOTE]

Shoot the glowing parts, generally it's chest and/or arms. Enough shots will stop the attack, although it will still fall towards you.

Tip: Use your overdrives. You only need about 2 to make sure you don't get hit in the last boss, and you get maybe 1~2 overdrives during the boss rush. If you need, bring in 4 overdrives from other levels. Knowing when to use those overdrives is the key, but also be aware that it shoots slightly slower than your own shots because it's single shots, and the enemies it hits may not necessarily be the ones about to go off screen.

[quote name='ddrpower']Tip: Use your overdrives. You only need about 2 to make sure you don't get hit in the last boss, and you get maybe 1~2 overdrives during the boss rush. If you need, bring in 4 overdrives from other levels. Knowing when to use those overdrives is the key, but also be aware that it shoots slightly slower than your own shots because it's single shots, and the enemies it hits may not necessarily be the ones about to go off screen.[/QUOTE]

Bringing in over drives is a good idea.

I never use them on the boss since I'm good enough that it never hits me (or hits me once, if I'm being careless).
There are a few parts where I could take advantage of extras though (like the big ship thing that deploys legions of small enemies).

Do the enemies the final iteration of the boss shoot out count towards the percent shot down?

No, only the actual boss counts toward shot down percentage. The floating diamonds that shoot missles at you and the missles that spray out of the core don't matter at all.

Also make sure you're killing the giant tower that sprays out missles / guys somewhere towards the middle of the level as well as those big winged things toward the end of the level. Just remember where overdrives are helpful (there are like two obligatory spots I can think of) and you should be fine. You can always find youtube walkthroughs if you're really stuck.

Getting 95% was much easier than getting 300k in score attack for me. Maxamizing your chains and abusing the final boss battle timer are much more important than shot down percentage.

bread's done
Back