XBLA Sales| CLOSED THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddjoey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
THREAD HAS MOVED TO HERE.

Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the US*. This include the Deal of the Week, Family Plan Sale Item, and any other sales or promotions. I have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases. Most sales are for one week.* Please feel free to PM or post if you doesn't see anything listed here. Please note: ALL ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! and some sales are for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY*. Have fun and enjoy.
(*unless otherwise noted)

[IMG-L=6565]17018[/IMG-L]
Xbox Live Deal of the Week:

11/8 - Legendary Warriors

XBLA:
-Deadliest Warrior: The Game - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic - Quick Look
-Scott Pilgrim The Game - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic - Quick Look
-Shinobi - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - Metacritic

-Deadliest Warrior Samurai Helmet - 80 Microsoft Points - 50% off
-Scott Pilgrim Guitar (Prop) - 120 Microsoft Points - 50% off

Family Gold Pack Deal:

Misc Sales:

?????? - Pets GOLD MEMBERS ONLY
-Cat (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off
-Pug Dog (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Turkey']Is the Nightmare Collection standalone?[/QUOTE]

No. The Undead Nightmare Collection DLC requires RDR disc. The Undead Nightmare disc is standalone.

[quote name='mrosnwo']So Undead Nightmare is on sale for what feels like the 10th time already the past 6 months, and now GTA4 stuff is the same. What's next, Risk Factions?

(for you guys unable to redeem points, did you do the Jack Links promo thing for the months of Live? People were getting their accounts frozen over that one)[/QUOTE]

I never got the jacks promo but another one like that where the website let you buy a month of live for 1$ & the website let me do it about 5 times. my account is still gold and paid up till december. I can buy and download like normal as well as play normally, but the codes aren't working. It might be that 1$ monthly thing but since everything else is working I am not feeling rushed to call about it.

[quote name='Althax']I never got the jacks promo but another one like that where the website let you buy a month of live for 1$ & the website let me do it about 5 times. my account is still gold and paid up till december. I can buy and download like normal as well as play normally, but the codes aren't working. It might be that 1$ monthly thing but since everything else is working I am not feeling rushed to call about it.[/QUOTE]

That is the Jacks Links promo. You have to contact CS over the phone and sort it out.

[quote name='Dazed iLLusion']Man its always L4D2 The Passing that's on sale and never The Sacrifice.....I might just get it now since I doubt it will ever go on sale.[/QUOTE]

Same thoughts here. If I buy it now, then it'll go on sale during the next "Zombie sale" in like a month or 2.

It seems quite poor that they're just re-running items that have been on sale before. I bought the Passing last time it was on sale, I'd have liked to see some other L4D2 DLC on sale this time around.

Next week's GTA sale really doesn't interest me either, and I guess MS won't want to interfere with the Summer of Arcade titles by putting big name stuff on DoTW during the promotion. Unless there's a Summer of Arcade sale or something like that. Anyone know if we've ever had a sale of older content to go along with the release of new stuff for Summer of Arcade?

Its kind of absurd paying even 280 MSP at this point + an additional 560 for The Crossing, while on PC L4D just got another free map added (Cold Stream), with Dead Air coming this month. I gifted L4D1+2 to a friend during the Steam sale, $7.49 - less than the cost of both these DLCs. With any luck the next generation of consoles will bring some type of cross integration of this content.

[quote name='drawingboard']Same thoughts here. If I buy it now, then it'll go on sale during the next "Zombie sale" in like a month or 2.[/QUOTE]

Haha yeah, that's pretty much what stopped me from pressing confirm right now. Well see how the Halloween sale turns out.

Looks like I'll be passing on the next two DOTWs then. If the voters choice DOTW of Mass Effect is the following week, I'll already have all the Mass Effect DLCs, both the GTA 4 DLCs and don't want San Andreas.

Ah well, at least I'll save a bit of money. :)

[quote name='MrNEWZ']I grabbed the Passing the last few times it was on sale, grabbed Case West the first time (and at the same price, no less)... Undead I have in disc form, so I guess I'll grab Twin Blades because I like the art style. I hope I'll play it, but yes--- lack of GS does hurt the indies games no matter how polished.

Maybe it's time for MS to re-examine the caps. Maybe Arcade games should be 400-500gs (they're averaging 15-20$ anyway) and Indie Games could be 200?[/QUOTE]

I think indie games should just be 100 GS, seems perfect for them. and keep arcade games at 200. there's still plenty of 5g - 10g achievements they could do to get the most out of the 100 cap, i feel like it'd work. and then any stupid "gamerscore booster" indie games wouldn't really have that much of an effect on overall gamerscore. or as someone else mentioned, since the games are all screened and rated before being released anyways, they could just not allow gamerscore booster type games to even come out.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Anyone have problems REDEEMING Microsoft Points???

I'm trying to redeem a 4000 points card but keeps me giving errors on both my Dashboard and Marketplace.Xbox.com

"An error has occurred. Please try again later. 801613FB"

Gah!
[/QUOTE]

My apologies if someone else already posted this answer and I missed it.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818928
Can't retrieve information from Xbox LIVE. Status code: 801613fb
Some prepaid cards must be activated by a retailer. Please take the card back to the retailer and ask them to activate it.

Dumb question (and one I assume is answered multiple times in different threads), but can you play the Undead Collection without the game, like the standalone Collection disc, or do you need the game? I assume the latter, but I've got my fingers crossed I'm wrong.

As answered repeatedly in the past few pages, you need the RDR game to play the DLC. The disc is the only standalone way to play it.

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']I think indie games should just be 100 GS, seems perfect for them. and keep arcade games at 200. there's still plenty of 5g - 10g achievements they could do to get the most out of the 100 cap, i feel like it'd work. and then any stupid "gamerscore booster" indie games wouldn't really have that much of an effect on overall gamerscore. or as someone else mentioned, since the games are all screened and rated before being released anyways, they could just not allow gamerscore booster type games to even come out.[/QUOTE]

I'm okay with that as well.

Oddly, I was the person (as well as OP of the comment) who noted that Booster games can be prevented since they're screened/published before release anyway. ;-)

[quote name='Zonic505']Same here. I wonder if there'll be a Voltron prop that I can control....or a costume that'll make my avatar look like Voltron.

Nothing for me this week, but if you missed out on DR2: Case West, I'd say get it. I had a good time with it for $10, it's totally worth $5.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I might actually spend money on something for my fake avatar.

[quote name='drawingboard']Come to think of it, we're really only getting 1 new DotW about every 2 weeks now, since they keep repeating so often.[/QUOTE]

Sad but true. At the very least, if you are going to repeat deals, repeat the good ones.

If nobody bought your game/DLC at 50% 6 months ago, nobody is going to buy it for 50% off now either.

[quote name='drawingboard']Come to think of it, we're really only getting 1 new DotW about every 2 weeks now, since they keep repeating so often.[/QUOTE]

must be true, since i was going to buy case west and the passing dlc, but when i went on xbox live it says i already purchased them... (kind of hard to keep track when you keep buying things but don't have the time to play them)

[quote name='frpilot']must be true, since i was going to buy case west and the passing dlc, but when i went on xbox live it says i already purchased them... (kind of hard to keep track when you keep buying things but don't have the time to play them)[/QUOTE]

I check every week just in case. My memory isn't bad as much as I don't want to make a mistake and/or have so much.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']Wow, I might actually spend money on something for my fake avatar.[/QUOTE]

Glad I'm not the only one. I just hope the content isn't more than a couple bucks. There's a ton of avatar gear I'd like but anything over $2 seems like almost extortion. When they first announced avatar gear I assumed they would nickel and dime me to death. 20-80MSP for most any single piece of gear and I probably would have bought a bunch of stuff by now. As it is I've bought the Stars and Stripes hat for the 4th of July, Garrus' eye piece Forza 4 gloves and the Crackdown orbs (at least they were on sale at the time) and that's it. I'd love a Voltron toy or the sword as a prop.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Glad I'm not the only one. I just hope the content isn't more than a couple bucks. There's a ton of avatar gear I'd like but anything over $2 seems like almost extortion. When they first announced avatar gear I assumed they would nickel and dime me to death. 20-80MSP for most any single piece of gear and I probably would have bought a bunch of stuff by now. As it is I've bought the Stars and Stripes hat for the 4th of July, Garrus' eye piece Forza 4 gloves and the Crackdown orbs (at least they were on sale at the time) and that's it. I'd love a Voltron toy or the sword as a prop.[/QUOTE]

Things I'd consider:
Sword
Voltron Force Helmet/Helmet like Voltron has (lion's mouth for face)
Voltron outfit

[quote name='MrNEWZ']Things I'd consider:
Sword
Voltron Force Helmet/Helmet like Voltron has (lion's mouth for face)
Voltron outfit[/QUOTE]

Oh man a Voltron helmet with my Garrus eye piece...sick!

I am so glad I decided to spend the points on Torchlight instead of waiting for a *potential purchase* this week. It looks like there won't be any titles for me to pick up on sale in July.
How is Twin Blades? The visuals look great, but I am always leery when it comes to indy games.

Twin Blades is really repetitive. Even at 200 points, I think I'll pass. Nice art style though, and I'm a zombie lover, but it didn't do anything for me. Though, I think you can eventually upgrade moves and different guns and all that. I never quite got that far as the time on the demo expired. Not sure how much that adds in keeping you interested, but it at least seems like it tries. I'm sure a bunch of people would like it.

I wonder how will the reception be for a disc-based 360 game if it gave 950Gs for "hitting start" and then have 50 other achievements for only 1G each. I imagine it would be the most rented and barely played game on the system, due to the potential for odd numbered gamerscore and potential difficulty for minimal amount of gamerscore per achievement, yet it does award a player with lots right off the bat. It could make a statement more about the value of achievements over the quality of the game.

Don't get me wrong on this, I do enjoy attaining achievements. I will hunt for them, but I will not boost them. I will refuse to stick a plasma sword up someone's butt three times then let that person stick a plasma sword up my butt three times. I do try to get achievements within the context of actual play. See, I view achievements as a conversation piece. Achievements provide the game with additional fun goals, sometimes to explore play in a different light aside from just completing the game. So topics of "oh I tried for so long to get that" or "you haven't done that yet?" can be discussed about the game.

I do try to support some indie games from time to time, even went so far as paying 800MSP for Downtown Smash Dodgeball. I do not discriminate against games on the Indie Games channel because they do not offer gamerscore. That's just the policy set by Microsoft for those titles. However, I do complain about the policy which requires the indie games to be played online, even when your purchased title has no online features; I understand it is to cover the base that indie games are not rated by the ESRB, and so the declared age of the profile dictates if the game could be played and being online is their only option to verify it at this time. I just feel, sometimes, a well made indie game can transcend the lack of achievements.

As for this week's deals for gold members, I am glad they are trying to cover multiple bases. Similar to Sony's multiple platforms, how they offer deals to each, I find it nice they chose an Xbox Original, an indie game, an XBLA title, and DLC for the sale. They are just missing XBLA DLC, Games on Demand, and specialty store (avatar, music game, game room) bargains.

That being said, I am still disappointed the deals offered this week did not appeal to me. If it is true that GTA4 items are to be next week's deals, followed by the community choice of Mass Effect 2 DLC (speculation, since was the highest on the vote count last I checked also there's no guarantee it will consist of DLC which has not been on sale before), I will feel my current gold membership will end on a whimper [voiding some of the value of the subscription price]. A shame since my subscription ends on a Monday, but that is how I see it: Microsoft conspires to disappoint me. Originally DotW changes on Mondays almost right at the midnight mark, but the deal went up later and later so they just said "eff it" and moved it to Tuesdays. Maybe that will teach me to input my next year's code on a Thursday [but then they'd just get later and later putting up the deal such that when the next year ends, DotW begins on Fridays].

As long as there is a market to sell virtual items (like avatar props), why not sell gamerscore (via easy games)?

None of it has any real material value. But as long as it makes the buyer happy, who's to deny them happiness?

As long as there is a market to sell virtual items (like avatar props), why not sell gamerscore (via easy games)?

None of it has any real material value. As long as it makes the buyer happy, it would be foolish for a company to not consider it.

[quote name='nCogNeato']As long as there is a market to sell virtual items (like avatar props), why not sell gamerscore (via easy games)?

None of it has any real material value. As long as it makes the buyer happy, it would be foolish for a company to not consider it.[/QUOTE]

yeah buy a 100 gamescore achievement for only $2.99. That's what the people want

[quote name='Royal High Knight']yeah buy a 100 gamescore achievement for only $2.99. That's what the people want[/QUOTE]

Doesn't that open a can of worms similar to gold farming in MMOs? I figured if one wanted easy/quick gamerscore, he/she can just rent or borrow games from their friends/associates, play it long enough for the fast easy achievements. It already seems bad for some games like the Agarest War games to sell in-game items to make a play-through easier. I know a couple other JRPGs offer in-game items for sale on the Game Marketplace as well (like Tales of Vesperia, Last Reminant, or Trusty Bell/Eternal Sonata) as "DLC".

Back on topic of the Deal of the Week, I do hope this week's Stubbs the Zombie indicates they have not forgotten about some Xbox Originals gathering virtual dust in the Game Marketplace. I would love to see Dreamfall: The Longest Journey and/or Psychonauts on sale one day.

Twin Blades is beautiful but the gameplay is lousy and repetitive. It has a couple of good bosses but man you have to grind to get there. Played it on Iphone and do not recommend it as a purchase but try the demo at least.

[quote name='Crono-00']I wonder how will the reception be for a disc-based 360 game if it gave 950Gs for "hitting start"[/QUOTE]

Avatar is pretty much this, although it gives you 1000g for hitting the button like 30 times in a row. The funny thing is that.... I believe Major Nelson has 1000/1000 in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv-kv4QJnV8

[quote name='RollingSkull']Twin Blades is beautiful but the gameplay is lousy and repetitive. It has a couple of good bosses but man you have to grind to get there. Played it on Iphone and do not recommend it as a purchase but try the demo at least.[/QUOTE]

I ended up buying it. It is repetitive but pretty fun. For some reason it is damn satisfying wasting all those zombies with the various guns. I definitely got my money's worth. For a measly 200 points I don't feel cheated at all, unlike say......Bejeweled Blitz!

isn't Warhammer 40K: Team Kill supposed to come out on the 13th as well?

edit: garbage, it doesn't have online multiplayer...hope the demo is good.

[quote name='ooga']I ended up buying it. It is repetitive but pretty fun. For some reason it is damn satisfying wasting all those zombies with the various guns. I definitely got my money's worth. For a measly 200 points I don't feel cheated at all, unlike say......Bejeweled Blitz![/QUOTE]

I will relent, you could do a LOT worse than Twin Blades, but even in the realm of XBLIG you could do better. *Cough Vorpal. Sequence. /Cough*

And, yeah, under the right circumstances, the fighting can be a bit satisfying.

Lemme warn you about something when it comes to the end of the game though. It pissed me off. I'll be vague but I'll keep it in spoilers all the same. Nothing specific will be revealed.

Once you beat the final boss, you'll have an arbitrary choice at the end of the game. I'll call them a happy one and a sad one. If you choose the sad one, the game ends and you can reload and I BELIEVE watch the ending again. If you choose the happy one, you go straight into post-game free for all, able to redo all levels and all bosses forever, but you won't be able to rewatch the sad ending. It's a small thing but if you're the sort of maladjusted dolt like me who will fret about that sort of thing, you may want to consider it. The endings are nothing special but I am a big compulsive loser.

Also my memory is hazy and that is how I THINK it worked on the Iphone version.

Also, real tip, by the time you reach the second boss, you probably want to have at least one level in every type of gun.

Since this is the thread where I found out about it, I'll ask here:

I bought Pinball FX2 Core pack and Marvel pack for 2x800 points in early July. Will that count towards the bonus 200 points promotion or is the Marvel pack (and possibly the core pack) considered an add-on to the "free" game, even though it shows a pic of it in the picture of the promo?

As of yet, it doesn't mention that I've earned the bonus, but it does show the 20point survey for July that I took on the 4th.

[quote name='Kerig']Since this is the thread where I found out about it, I'll ask here:

I bought Pinball FX2 Core pack and Marvel pack for 2x800 points in early July. Will that count towards the bonus 200 points promotion or is the Marvel pack (and possibly the core pack) considered an add-on to the "free" game, even though it shows a pic of it in the picture of the promo?

As of yet, it doesn't mention that I've earned the bonus, but it does show the 20point survey for July that I took on the 4th.[/QUOTE]

I'm making the presumption that add-ons don't count. I believe that month-long promotions don't show in the pending points until the month ends, though.

It appears the Stacking Family Gold deal is dead. It shows 1200 points on xbox.com. Is it any different if using the console to access marketplace?

The console and the xbox.com have always reflected the same prices in my experience. And really... do we need another week of zombie themed deals?

[quote name='Odinsfury']The console and the xbox.com have always reflected the same prices in my experience. And really... do we need another week of zombie themed deals?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's one of the most popular threads right now (I don't like zombies though)

[quote name='Crono-00']I do complain about the policy which requires the indie games to be played online, even when your purchased title has no online features; I understand it is to cover the base that indie games are not rated by the ESRB, and so the declared age of the profile dictates if the game could be played and being online is their only option to verify it at this time.[/QUOTE]

I always thought it had more to do with MS having a different DRM strategy for managing indie games rather than having to hand a whole bunch of access keys to individuals.

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']Yes, it's one of the most popular threads right now (I don't like zombies though)[/QUOTE]

I'm getting tired of the whole zombie craze *yawn*

[quote name='Brother Daz']I'm getting tired of the whole zombie craze *yawn*[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here *yawn* I guess once Capcom re-releases Dead Rising 2 for 56th time and it doesn't sell, then it will be over with

[quote name='Crono-00']Doesn't that open a can of worms similar to gold farming in MMOs? I figured if one wanted easy/quick gamerscore, he/she can just rent or borrow games from their friends/associates, play it long enough for the fast easy achievements. It already seems bad for some games like the Agarest War games to sell in-game items to make a play-through easier. I know a couple other JRPGs offer in-game items for sale on the Game Marketplace as well (like Tales of Vesperia, Last Reminant, or Trusty Bell/Eternal Sonata) as "DLC".

Back on topic of the Deal of the Week, I do hope this week's Stubbs the Zombie indicates they have not forgotten about some Xbox Originals gathering virtual dust in the Game Marketplace. I would love to see Dreamfall: The Longest Journey and/or Psychonauts on sale one day.[/QUOTE]

To be fair to Namco (Tales, Trusty/Eternal), those $2 micro transaction item packs are mostly worthless if you grind through the game anyway or have any skill. They don't significantly alter your characters or their skill set, it's mostly item packs that can be bought with fake, in game money. They even gave a few of them out as free DLC as a way to entice you to buy the money ones... I never had a use for them (1000/1000 on ES and should have 1000/1000 on TOV, but ... bah, should really go back).

I'll play any game. Always have. Even the silly kids or weird ones. When I want to beat a game, it's nice to have a random game around. I doubt most people's friends have copies of King Kong, Hannah Montana, the Sponge Bob game, Ben 10, etc. just laying around. Unless they're friends with people like me.

The Warhammer 40K Kill Team would have been an instant buy for me if it had Online Multiplayer. I mean I guess I see what they were going for bc Warhammer is a gather and play with friends game, but it's 2011 everything should have online multi. I don't even actually play Warhammer and I liked the demo enough to want to play it online with a friend and it'd count towards the buy 2 800 promotion, but without it?
No purchase. What a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back