XBLA - Shadow Complex - 1200pts

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)

Features

From blockbuster developers Epic Games and Chair Entertainment comes the next evolution in Xbox LIVE Arcade games. Powered by the industry-leading Unreal Engine 3, Shadow Complex™ is the height of old-school side-scrolling design combined with modern, cutting-edge gameplay.
In Shadow Complex, gameplay is centered on exploration and fast-paced combat as you gather game-altering power-ups and an arsenal of futuristic weapons to overcome obstacles, thwart legions of enemies, and delve into a mysterious open game world. The original single-player adventure is set in a compelling universe based upon the best-selling novel, Empire, by Orson Scott Card.

• Original game: This completely original game features full 3-D side-scrolling action. The incredible next-gen graphics and robust physics combine with an open, evolving world design mixed with an awesome, compelling action-thriller story.
  • Power-ups: Seek out 17 unique game altering power-ups, with more than 100 additional items and modifiers to discover and use.
  • Bad guys: Fight against a large variety of enemies and experience massive, jaw-dropping boss battles.
  • Pick up and play: The super-tight controls are simple and intuitive but also allow advanced players additional depth and precision.
  • Noted scriptwriter: Shadow Complex features a script written by Peter David, one of the most popular comic book writers of all time. It's the first game to be set in Chair's Empire universe and based upon the best-selling novel by Orson Scott Card.
http://www.xbox.com/games/s/shadowcomplexxbla/

I'm surprised there wasn't a thread already out here for this for this. Anyways, the price surprised me, I thought it was going to be 1600pts, looks good, I might have to bite.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have high hopes, but I really need to try it before I buy it: I thought Chair's previous game (Undertow) was extremely un-fun, even though it looked great on paper.

I liked Undertow, and this game looks much better! You don't know how much I wanted a current-gen console "Metroidvania" style game, and this game looks to deliver. I read a review in Play magazine with Chair, and they REALLY seem to know what they're doing here.

I'm a fighting game fanatic, yet I think I anticipate this more than MvC2 (only because I expect MvC2 to be the most frustrating, one-sided fighter EVER online, lol. Some players are gonna make that game hella unfun.) I hope this spurs some japanese developers into making similiar games... because 2D-perspective sidescrolling adventures, are one of the greatest "lost genres" out there. It annoys me to no end, when handhelds get so many of these...

These guys did Undertow too?

Ugh, I got that for free and even then I couldn't play for more than 5 minutes.

[quote name='BigAT']These guys did Undertow too?

Ugh, I got that for free and even then I couldn't play for more than 5 minutes.[/QUOTE]

It's really amazing how polarized Undertow has people. I happen to love it, but it seems many hated it.

I interviewed at chair 9 months ago, they have very high standards, even more so now that epic owns them. They know what they are doing.

Sounds like a steal at $15. I will buy this and not Turtles in Time and not regret it one bit. If Microsoft is going to solidify the new $15 price point, I'm going to be much more selective and not support rehashes put out to turn a quick buck.

This looks great! I've been aching for some good old fashioned 2D side scrolling action/adventure type games. I suppose I should try out the Castlevania game on xbox live eh?

[quote name='RudyPants']Sounds like a steal at $15. I will buy this and not Turtles in Time and not regret it one bit. If Microsoft is going to solidify the new $15 price point, I'm going to be much more selective and not support rehashes put out to turn a quick buck.[/QUOTE]

The problem is, the majority of those 'rehashes' and games at 400 points, and to a lesser extent 800 points, are making less money, and often not even paying for themselves. That's why you are seeing 1200 points more often.

I personally know some xbla devs. The hard sell statistics sadly shows that selling a game for cheaper usually does not mean enough MORE copies will sell to make more money. It shows the opposite is true.

[quote name='thrustbucket']The problem is, the majority of those 'rehashes' and games at 400 points, and to a lesser extent 800 points, are making less money, and often not even paying for themselves. That's why you are seeing 1200 points more often.

I personally know some xbla devs. The hard sell statistics sadly shows that selling a game for cheaper usually does not mean enough MORE copies will sell to make more money. It shows the opposite is true.[/QUOTE]

I hate to say it, but maybe they should take more chances creatively with their games if they want to see a higher reward. Castle Crashers and Braid moved the price point up because they were amazing titles.

Turtles in Time may be a nice looking game, but it's obvious that developers just want to cash in on Turtles - something they didn't do with TMNT 1989 Arcade.

[quote name='RudyPants']I hate to say it, but maybe they should take more chances creatively with their games if they want to see a higher reward. Castle Crashers and Braid moved the price point up because they were amazing titles.

Turtles in Time may be a nice looking game, but it's obvious that developers just want to cash in on Turtles - something they didn't do with TMNT 1989 Arcade.[/QUOTE]

I don't think any of them would disagree with that.

One of the best things about xbla, imo, is the indy feel of many of the games. Many devs DO take chances, and it's usually only the retro titles or licensed stuff that disappoints.

Space Giraffe kind of set a watermark, it was VERY indy, very much a high risk chance taker. But at 400 points it didn't sell well, and a lot of devs looked at that and scratched their chins. That's just one example that comes to mind, but historically 400 point games don't make enough money, Geo Wars was the exception.

[quote name='ninjaspeedrazor']Definitely a day 1 purchase, one of my most looked forward to releases this summer. Can't wait to play some metroid/castlevania style action in HD.[/QUOTE]

+1 its the next game im buying...not much else coming out this summer im looking forward too

No way I will commit to buying this until I see some reviews and check out the demo.

Once a game goes past the 800 point mark, it is beyond the mindless purchase point and has to be justified. I know its only 5 dollars more, but 10 bucks is my breaking point when I have so many games to play as it is.

[quote name='Yanksfan']No way I will commit to buying this until I see some reviews and check out the demo.

Once a game goes past the 800 point mark, it is beyond the mindless purchase point and has to be justified. I know its only 5 dollars more, but 10 bucks is my breaking point when I have so many games to play as it is.[/QUOTE]

Wish I had a penny for every post like this only saying the same for 400 points.

I could buy a yacht.

Everything I see about this gets me more and more excited! It looks amazing!! According to a site, the world is almost 3x bigger than Super Metroid!

[quote name='SAB-CA']I liked Undertow, and this game looks much better! You don't know how much I wanted a current-gen console "Metroidvania" style game, and this game looks to deliver. I read a review in Play magazine with Chair, and they REALLY seem to know what they're doing here.

I'm a fighting game fanatic, yet I think I anticipate this more than MvC2 (only because I expect MvC2 to be the most frustrating, one-sided fighter EVER online, lol. Some players are gonna make that game hella unfun.) I hope this spurs some japanese developers into making similiar games... because 2D-perspective sidescrolling adventures, are one of the greatest "lost genres" out there. It annoys me to no end, when handhelds get so many of these...[/QUOTE]

Nintendo has really dropped the ball this generation by not developing a 2.5D Metroid game. Metroid Dread got canned or something, and now there's the new Metroid game that's likely to be hampered by the 3D environment and associated camera problems.

I'm glad that Epic/Chair has pounced upon this opportunity to continue this excellent subgenre of gaming. At least someone recognizes the demand.

[quote name='ninju D']Everything I see about this gets me more and more excited! It looks amazing!! According to a site, the world is almost 3x bigger than Super Metroid![/QUOTE]

Bigger doesn't equal better. I can provide many examples if need be.

Shadow Complex will be amazing, judging from the gameplay videos I've seen. Can't wait to pick it up.

Since I didn't pick up Turtles in Time I'll probably end up getting this. It does look really good, I only wish it had 2 player support of some kind. Got pickup another points card by the 19th I guess.

this will be the best 1200 ive ever spent. i love the fact that when you beat the game and start a new one you continue with all your powers and your current level.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']any news on a demo?[/QUOTE]
Um, I'm going to guess if it's an XBLA game the demo will be out the same day as the game is released like all other XBLA games.

I set aside 1200 points waiting on reviews for this game. It is looking good. I think I'll have to bite on Wed when it's available.

I have been playing the game since last week and it is my favorite Xbox Live Game to date. The game is well worth it at 15 bucks and it will make every other game on live seem overpriced by comparison.

I didn't realize until recently that cHair is the developer. I loved Undertow, but many many people hated it. Undertow got absolutely stellar reviews and won awards well before its release. But again, many hated it and I can see why they would. It was one of those games that made me question the integrity of the review process (same with GTA IV)--even though I thought Undertow was a great game, it couldn't possibly be 5/5 across the board when THAT many people hated it.

I am a Metroid and Castlevania junkie... so naturally this game has been on my radar. I am soooo happy it is getting awesome reviews! Day 1 purchase, I do not care that the price is 1200 MS points. I have spent that much on lesser games (unfortunately).

[quote name='kevlar51']I didn't realize until recently that cHair is the developer. I loved Undertow, but many many people hated it. Undertow got absolutely stellar reviews and won awards well before its release. But again, many hated it and I can see why they would. It was one of those games that made me question the integrity of the review process (same with GTA IV)--even though I thought Undertow was a great game, it couldn't possibly be 5/5 across the board when THAT many people hated it.[/QUOTE]

Reviewers look for certain things that gamers don't. I wouldn't just go by a score though. Actually read the review to see why they gave it the score they did.

I also happened to like Undertow, and everyone I know did as well. People in online message boards tend to be overly harsh and exagerate.

This game flew low under my radar until the recent Quick Look on Giantbomb. Now, I'll probably end up buying it from the live website Wed at work, JUST so that I don't have to wait as long to play once I get my console on that evening.

Any game that rewards exploration and discovery tends to be right up my alley. Can't freakin wait.

[quote name='kevlar51']I didn't realize until recently that cHair is the developer. I loved Undertow, but many many people hated it. Undertow got absolutely stellar reviews and won awards well before its release. But again, many hated it and I can see why they would. It was one of those games that made me question the integrity of the review process (same with GTA IV)--even though I thought Undertow was a great game, it couldn't possibly be 5/5 across the board when THAT many people hated it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm starting to kick myself for not pursuing the open invitation I received from Chair to go visit them and interview last September.

bread's done
Back