XBLA - Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix - 1200pts

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I'm down for a tourney, but I expect to lose not because I suck but because of the controls.[/quote]

The first day Remix was out, I wanted to punt the controller into an eternal abyss. By the second day, I was used to it. I'm scared to say I might even prefer it now (btw, I use the analog stick).

Just so everyone in this thread who is interested in the tournament doesn't miss it, here's the thread I created for the tournament:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205989

I think, tentatively, we're looking at 11 p.m. EST this Saturday Dec. 6 for an 8-player tournament. I know that there is interest in a 1v1 series of progressive games toward a championship, so we might go that route instead.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Played and won like 3 more matches last night. Still haven't gotten master of all things. :p

Either I hit a glitch or I'm mentally missing something. Cause now I'd swear I've won twice with all characters online (and yes, in ranked mode).

*sigh* Take another crack tonight. I'd be in for a tourney too.

Anyone help with combo achievement? I can't pull a 7 hit no matter how hard I try.[/QUOTE]

You know I thought the same thing, when I didn't get the achievement I didn't know who I'd miss since I went in order. Then I remember, who I could not play since he isn't in the order. Have you tried to beat it with Akuma? That could be your problem. It was mine at least.

I can't seem to find a point card I got a few weeks ago. Sucks but I am holding off for a bit. I went to download the demo but it is only for 2 players local! I was dissapointed, this is a game I know I will buy but I just wanted a taste. Is a single player demo of a fighting game that hard? I mean just make it a round.

Okay, I just got this, and my god, how can developers program for such a shitty d-pad? And the Analog stick is just as bad for this game. It is impossible for me to do a Super Move with this shitty d-pad, and the Analog stick doesn't help matters much either.

Because of this horrid control scheme Microsoft has forced upon us, I cannot even beat fucking Blanka in Arcade Mode on easy because the damn d-pad won't respond to moves I'm trying to perform. Seriously. Just horrible.

It looks great, it just plays like shit because Microsoft can't make a damn d-pad.

[quote name='KingBroly']Okay, I just got this, and my god, how can developers program for such a shitty d-pad? And the Analog stick is just as bad for this game. It is impossible for me to do a Super Move with this shitty d-pad, and the Analog stick doesn't help matters much either.

Because of this horrid control scheme Microsoft has forced upon us, I cannot even beat fucking Blanka in Arcade Mode on easy because the damn d-pad won't respond to moves I'm trying to perform. Seriously. Just horrible.

It looks great, it just plays like shit because Microsoft can't make a damn d-pad.[/QUOTE]

I agree and I bought the game based on well the praise the game was getting. I downloaded the demo but it was for 2 players local only. So I didn't get to try the controls. Just bad and it is basically well, "it is bad for everyone, shut up and fight". But if say Call of Duty had a sequel and the controls were fundamentally bad, would the game still get good reviews?

No, I'm not blaming the game. I'm blaming Microsoft for their shitty d-pad because for fighters it just does not work. At all.

an easy 7 hit combo:

Go to classic, select Sagat vs someone big (ie. Zangief, Sagat, etc.)
Jump and do a late fierce right before you land and go into his super

I did the 360 controller d-pad mod
the d-pad is much more responsive, i can actually pull off the charge supers now
i thought that it was the d-pad that i couldn't play every well with the charge characters
but now that the d-pad is working a lot better, i know i just suck with those type of characters

[quote name='KingBroly']No, I'm not blaming the game. I'm blaming Microsoft for their shitty d-pad because for fighters it just does not work. At all.[/QUOTE]

Its not just fighters, its all games based in 2D. I wonder if anyone has had better luck with that improved D-Pad that was talked about before. Or the old D-Pad trick with shaving down the plastic or something. But yeah, it is a remake of an old game. Makes me really worry about Street Fighter IV though if the control is going to feel the same.

Ugh im terrible at Street fighter games...having a lot of fun learning and seeing myself play better.
Today I got through easy mode(hold ure laughs) and got to akuma who beat me hard...for a good 35minutes.

Any tips for a SF scrub? I know I need to learn how to throw better, online people kept getting a throw off after i sweep them. I got bad timing because im always late. Im trying to learn Bison and Honda. Thanks add me if u wanna beat down on a terrible player(who is willing to learn!)

[quote name='KingBroly']No, I'm not blaming the game. I'm blaming Microsoft for their shitty d-pad because for fighters it just does not work. At all.[/quote]

The pads work fine, it just takes practice.

[quote name='bingbangboom']Its not just fighters, its all games based in 2D. I wonder if anyone has had better luck with that improved D-Pad that was talked about before. Or the old D-Pad trick with shaving down the plastic or something. But yeah, it is a remake of an old game. Makes me really worry about Street Fighter IV though if the control is going to feel the same.[/quote]

I felt the same at first with Pac-Man CE, but once you get used to them they are fine. I think the problem is that most people play games nowadays that require analog control and just aren't used to the d-pad at all.

[quote name='naiku']Ugh im terrible at Street fighter games...having a lot of fun learning and seeing myself play better.
Today I got through easy mode(hold ure laughs) and got to akuma who beat me hard...for a good 35minutes.

Any tips for a SF scrub? I know I need to learn how to throw better, online people kept getting a throw off after i sweep them. I got bad timing because im always late. Im trying to learn Bison and Honda. Thanks add me if u wanna beat down on a terrible player(who is willing to learn!)[/quote]
Haha, I'm in the exact same bus as you. We should play. I'm sure if we can get some CAG spectators, they'd have a blast laughing.

[quote name='Rodimus']Hope you guys are ready for my Zanny. I plan to win.[/QUOTE]

Hey didn't I run into you on 360 the other night? Had a couple of 'gief vs gief matches goin on there.

Are people cheating or is his connection THAT laggy? I ran into a guy playing Blanka and everytime he did something the game would lag up or he'd warp around and I'd get hit. Yet, when I did attacks, they came out like normal on my screen but nothing would happen to this guy even if it appeared that I had hit him. I've been in laggy games where even when I did stuff, it lagged for me. Really pissed me off because I had an 8 game winning streak in ranked too. Needless to say, I just put him on avoid so that I wouldn't have to deal with that shit again.

[quote name='evophile']Hey didn't I run into you on 360 the other night? Had a couple of 'gief vs gief matches goin on there.[/quote]

Possibly, how was the match? I'm gonna asume I lost cause I'm horrid when it comes Gief vs Gief matches.

[quote name='Rodimus']Possibly, how was the match? I'm gonna asume I lost cause I'm horrid when it comes Gief vs Gief matches.[/QUOTE]

First one was nice and competitive and I won that one. Then the second time you whopped my ass hard, so thats how I definitely remembered your gamertag heh.

On other note, I can't wait for the sticks to come out, I'm still not super reliable on the pad for that stuff.

People are complaining about the pads but praising sticks. Why not just use the analog stick on the 360 controller? It's no different than an arcade stick except for the size (talking about the stick itself, not the button layout).

[quote name='Matt Young']People are complaining about the pads but praising sticks. Why not just use the analog stick on the 360 controller? It's no different than an arcade stick except for the size (talking about the stick itself, not the button layout).[/QUOTE]

It not exactly the same especially if you are a Zangief player. And I do use the analog stick when I'm using him, I just can't get as much leverage to spin it around as much as I would if I had a stick.

[quote name='Matt Young']People are complaining about the pads but praising sticks. Why not just use the analog stick on the 360 controller? It's no different than an arcade stick except for the size (talking about the stick itself, not the button layout).[/QUOTE]

Aww, don't say that. I guess an analog stick is serviceable, but it's not even close to the control quality (in a game of this type) of a decent arcade stick.

[quote name='Matt Young']People are complaining about the pads but praising sticks. Why not just use the analog stick on the 360 controller? It's no different than an arcade stick except for the size (talking about the stick itself, not the button layout).[/QUOTE]When you use the analog stick on a 360 controller, you're still basically playing the game with two thumbs. On an arcade stick you've got your entire hand gripped around a joystick, and all your fingers available for the attack buttons. So it's a pretty different playing experience! It's actually similar to using a keyboard (for your right hand, anyway).

Of course, the "best" control option always comes down to what an individual player is more comfortable with.

[quote name='mike.m']Are people cheating or is his connection THAT laggy? I ran into a guy playing Blanka and everytime he did something the game would lag up or he'd warp around and I'd get hit. Yet, when I did attacks, they came out like normal on my screen but nothing would happen to this guy even if it appeared that I had hit him. I've been in laggy games where even when I did stuff, it lagged for me. Really pissed me off because I had an 8 game winning streak in ranked too. Needless to say, I just put him on avoid so that I wouldn't have to deal with that shit again.[/QUOTE]

I think people have a very laggy connection...though who knows perhaps some are trying to cheat their way to their wins by lagging. I ran into a very laggy Ryu and was like "Holy crap you're laggy". There was teleporting everywhere but it was me and him. At first he had an advantage, but he was a very predictable fighter. After I saw how he played I turned around the match and beat him. It was really weird though seeing me do a move and then appearing somewhere else getting hit.

I just wish someone (Pelican, MadCatz, etc.) would make a six-button controller like the old Genesis 6-button one. I hate having to map (usually Strong and Forward) to the shoulders. I can play, actually, better with a D-pad than sticks due to so much time with the Genesis.

Didnt someone make six-button controllers for the PS2 in concert with the SF2 anthology?

[quote name='hostyl1']I just wish someone (Pelican, MadCatz, etc.) would make a six-button controller like the old Genesis 6-button one. I hate having to map (usually Strong and Forward) to the shoulders. I can play, actually, better with a D-pad than sticks due to so much time with the Genesis.

Didnt someone make six-button controllers for the PS2 in concert with the SF2 anthology?[/quote]

Also for the Xbox. I have the Xbox Guile controller.

controllerpad-guile.jpg

[quote name='D4rkewolfe']I think people have a very laggy connection...though who knows perhaps some are trying to cheat their way to their wins by lagging. I ran into a very laggy Ryu and was like "Holy crap you're laggy". There was teleporting everywhere but it was me and him. At first he had an advantage, but he was a very predictable fighter. After I saw how he played I turned around the match and beat him. It was really weird though seeing me do a move and then appearing somewhere else getting hit.[/quote]

I suppose. I blocked the guy though. I'm not gonna take losses on that kind of bs. I just found it to be extremely suspect. I played another guy that was laggy and the game was nothing like the one I described. I had an UBER shitty night, going like 4 and 20. My girlfriend came over and I ripped off 8 in a row, until I ran into uber lagger, and finished like 8 and 2 before I quit while I was ahead. Looks like I need her over for the tourney. :)

I forgot how hard it is to do the Flash Kick with the 360 controller. :bomb:

The two matches I played online, I got my ass kicked because I was playing Koreans with other-worldly Internet connections. :bomb:

My health bar was going down when nothing was really happening -- on my screen, anyway.

Got the Master of All Things achievement.

To whoever asked earlier, it does not count toward your win with a character when you win the match via disconnent. I had to re-do Chun and Akuma at the end because the only time I played those characters the other person disconnected.

[quote name='Matt Young']People are complaining about the pads but praising sticks. Why not just use the analog stick on the 360 controller? It's no different than an arcade stick except for the size (talking about the stick itself, not the button layout).[/quote]

An Analog stick has varying degrees of "press" in each direction. Hence, why you can smoothly go from standing still, to a slow walk, to a faster walk, to a run, in games designed for it.

A Joystick is nothing like that. It's 100% neutral, to 100% direction. There is no gradual build-up. Hence, it is REALLY easy to double tap towards or back, and to get your directions to respond, on a Digital Joystick. Using Analog on SF (or any 2D game), all those "40% press, 60% press" moments on your analog are DEAD SPACE, it's like you're not even PRESSING anything, to the game. This makes it extremely hard to double tap, to let the controls return to neutral (vital for hitting moves in the middle of charge actions), and to hit perfect diagonals.

Sure, you can get used to Analog, but it's NOTHING like a perfect digital pad/stick.

Anyone else have connectivity issues? I just tried to get in some games and got disconnected, then I tried to host a few ranked matches and my opponent either left or got disconnected. I feel kinda bad because it counted 3 wins in my favor because of that. :(

[quote name='KingBroly']Can you do 1 round ranked matches online?[/QUOTE]

I don't think so, I've never seen an option to change rounds if you host. I've seen it only for your single player mode. Doubt you could anyways as it would be a fast way to get your 100 wins or whatever.

Some people have found a way to boost for the online achievements. I'd definitely like to know how that's possible. Well, I'd like to know how to actually get an easy super move off, but the damn d-pad is preventing me from doing so.

[quote name='KingBroly']Some people have found a way to boost for the online achievements. I'd definitely like to know how that's possible. Well, I'd like to know how to actually get an easy super move off, but the damn d-pad is preventing me from doing so.[/quote]

Which characters are you trying it with?

I tried defeating Sagat with the Shoryuken before I left for work... We both had a sliver of life. I executed the Shoryuken, and he somehow hit me (there was no striking animation, from his end), and we double KO'd eachother. :bomb: (Didn't get the Achievement.)

I didn't have time to fuck around with it, so I just kicked his ass the next round and pressed on.

[quote name='KingBroly']Some people have found a way to boost for the online achievements. I'd definitely like to know how that's possible. Well, I'd like to know how to actually get an easy super move off, but the damn d-pad is preventing me from doing so.[/QUOTE]

It's really not so bad that supers are impossible to do. Get better at your execution. If you can't do a QCFx2 motion then try Balrog or Bison's super (charge B, F, B, F+P/K). It really shouldn't be that hard to do.

Worst case scenario, pick T. Hawk / Zangief. Jump in, and while your jumping in just spin the analog stick in circles a whole bunch of times. As soon as you land, press P. Your super should come out. Just make sure you're close.

[quote name='Brak']I tried defeating Sagat with the Shoryuken before I left for work... We both had a sliver of life. I executed the Shoryuken, and he somehow hit me (there was no striking animation, from his end), and we double KO'd eachother. :bomb: (Didn't get the Achievement.)

I didn't have time to fuck around with it, so I just kicked his ass the next round and pressed on.[/quote]

You can do that in a local match with a second controller. :p

For people having laggy matches are you guys just using quick match? I found that quick match just tosses you into any game regardless of ping. I started using custom match and picked the lowest pinging game out of the games it finds and haven't had a problem since.

[quote name='bs000']You can do that in a local match with a second controller. :p

For people having laggy matches are you guys just using quick match? I found that quick match just tosses you into any game regardless of ping. I started using custom match and picked the lowest pinging game out of the games it finds and haven't had a problem since.[/quote]

I'll try that. Some days its tough to find anyone so I usually end just being made a host and people join.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']It's really not so bad that supers are impossible to do. Get better at your execution. If you can't do a QCFx2 motion then try Balrog or Bison's super (charge B, F, B, F+P/K). It really shouldn't be that hard to do.

Worst case scenario, pick T. Hawk / Zangief. Jump in, and while your jumping in just spin the analog stick in circles a whole bunch of times. As soon as you land, press P. Your super should come out. Just make sure you're close.[/quote]

What he said.

[quote name='naiku']akuma owned me last night again but im getting very close to beating him w/ cammy and her QCB+P.

Dunno if its been mentioned but Chun can store her super which is so awesome. so you can do some crazy things(crazy to a scrub like me) like... charge b, f, b, uf, jab, k.

also http://www.sirlin.net/articles/super-balance-articles-ii-turbo.html incase it hasn't been posted. good breakdown on what has been changed for the HDR.[/quote]

I never bothered to look at most move lists, I had know idea they made Zangief so much easier to play as far as moves. I might learn some bad habits with the moves though for other SF's.

This is my first time playing Street Fighter 2 so take my statements with a grain of salt.
I am really enjoying this but, is it just me or are there some crazy difficulty spikes in the arcade mode? I could beat E. Honda in less than 15 seconds but when I get to Ken I lose without landing one hit on him (playing on normal BTW)

Yep, that is how it has always been for the most part.

You should try playing classic mode, the difficulty is ridiculous compared to how they balanced it in remix.

[quote name='naiku']akuma owned me last night again but im getting very close to beating him w/ cammy and her QCB+P.

Dunno if its been mentioned but Chun can store her super which is so awesome. so you can do some crazy things(crazy to a scrub like me) like... charge b, f, b, uf, jab, k.

also http://www.sirlin.net/articles/super-balance-articles-ii-turbo.html incase it hasn't been posted. good breakdown on what has been changed for the HDR.[/QUOTE]

To you, and everyone else having trouble beating Akuma, here is a nice mini-strategy.

Pick T-Hawk.

Seriously. T. Hawk.

All you have to do is spam his jumping D+HP. When out of range, use his Hawk Dive (PPP in the air.) It's pretty easy, I beat him on my second try doing this.

[quote name='bs000']You can do that in a local match with a second controller. :p[/QUOTE]
#-o

I got it playing against my friend last night, anyway.

A really crappy bug has come up for ranked matches wherein your rank simply disappears and goes to 0.

I went from around 350ish to about 45000th in a matter of moments. No idea what's causing it, but I sure hope they can resolve it quickly.

bread's done
Back