XBLA - Worms - 400pts

[quote name='Edwin']Weapons have been 100% confirmed as not being in the DLC. Everything but weapons.[/QUOTE]

Link?

I will pass if the missing weapons don't make it as DLC... some of my favorite weapons got axed, and I was hoping they'd just show up later.

[quote name='Edwin']Weapons have been 100% confirmed as not being in the DLC. Everything but weapons.[/QUOTE]

What the hell else is there they could add that is worth purchasing then?

[quote name='thrustbucket']What the hell else is there they could add that is worth purchasing then?[/QUOTE]

The article Linkin mentioned talked about Voice Packs specfically, and also themes and gamer pictures. I assume they could do levels also.

The article Linkin mentioned also talked about how it was a design decision to cut out some of the more frantic big explosion weapons so noobs to the series wouldn't feel over burdened.

They called it a mix between Worms and Worms 2.

I'll stick to Worms World Party.

To be fair, most of the weapons they cut were insanely powerful and/or simple, so they appear to be trying for more strategic gameplay. Things like the concrete donkey, super banana bomb, etc. make it way too easy to mass slaughter everything in sight. A lot of the less destructive weapons that were removed were still easy kills. It's harder to kill someone with a dragon punch than the baseball bat, dragon ball versus the minigun, etc.

I liked all the crazy destructive power available in Armageddon and such, but I can see why they might have been pulled. The only one I expect to miss is the HHG, and that's because it had such an awesome sound effect :lol:

[quote name='jtbradford']To be fair, most of the weapons they cut were insanely powerful and/or simple, so they appear to be trying for more strategic gameplay. Things like the concrete donkey, super banana bomb, etc. make it way too easy to mass slaughter everything in sight. A lot of the less destructive weapons that were removed were still easy kills. It's harder to kill someone with a dragon punch than the baseball bat, dragon ball versus the minigun, etc.

I liked all the crazy destructive power available in Armageddon and such, but I can see why they might have been pulled. The only one I expect to miss is the HHG, and that's because it had such an awesome sound effect :lol:[/quote]
HAAAAHHHH LEEE LOO YAH!! :lol:

but yea, i guess this is for the best of strategy..but maybe they could have kept the power weapons in "unranked" and took them out in "ranked" matches...

i dont really care...worms over xbox live (they dont work on my PC anymore ) = auto-purchase

I'll be buying this tonight at 12:01 or whatever. sucks the big weapons are gone, sheep launcher was the best! Super sheep close second.

omg, gotta download this as soon as I get home.

After this I'll have 200 points left... I gotta get me a new card pronto so I'll be ready for TMNT!

[quote name='Roufuss']The article Linkin mentioned talked about Voice Packs specfically, and also themes and gamer pictures. I assume they could do levels also.

The article Linkin mentioned also talked about how it was a design decision to cut out some of the more frantic big explosion weapons so noobs to the series wouldn't feel over burdened.

They called it a mix between Worms and Worms 2.

I'll stick to Worms World Party.[/quote]

I can't believe they axed so many weapons. I was so excited for this, but I'm not going to buy it now.

Classes started at 9:10 today so I went to my friends house with my memory unit and went half in for Alien Hominid, Worms and Ms. Pac Man. Worms is really good. I haven't played it in sooo long...

Never played Worms before and just downloaded this. I have to say it's pretty damn fun. Any of you Worms experts care to critique the controls or anything like that? I know there are less weapons, but hopefully we'll get some new ones eventually.

Played for a couple minutes before I went to work, game looks damn fine and plays just as I remembered. Will buy full game later tonight.

I can't wait to pick this up. The last Worms game I played wasn't even a Worms game - it was some super old computer game with tanks instead of worms and you took turns shooting each other - there was a regular shot and a grenade and I think that was it. The levels were all one screen and the environment was randomly generated. I played it back in 1992 or 1993 on a 486 or soemthing.... it actually came on a floppy disc! I can't remember the name of it though...

EDIT: Found it! It was called Tank Wars. Damn that game was fun back in the day. Check it out:

Tankwars-shot.jpg

[quote name='javeryh']I can't wait to pick this up. The last Worms game I played wasn't even a Worms game - it was some super old computer game with tanks instead of worms and you took turns shooting each other - there was a regular shot and a grenade and that was it. The levels were all one screen and the environment was randomly generated. I played it back in 1992 or 1993 on a 486 or soemthing.... it actually came on a floppy disc! I can't remember the name of it though...[/quote]

Scorched earth? It started out simply like that although more weapons came in later versions.

Also, the qbasic Gorillaz game was the simplest version of this (although probably not the first) that you just threw explosive bananas at each other. It was a fun way to learn to do qbasic because you could modify the explosion size and stuff and have fun.

Can anyone verify if it's working for online play? I hear it's just crashing on anyone who tries to play an online match.

I definitely loved Scortched Earth. We used to play Scorched Earth LAN games at my old office. And this was only about 4 years ago. Great times.

Scorched Earth was the sweetest game ever. The earthquake weapon was kick ass... covering enemy tanks with 'dirt' was very satisfying.

So... anyone else think the Ninja Rope is busted? Anti-grav stuff is much harder to do (although using both the dpad and the analog at the same time helps), plus the range on it is incredible. Oh, and you can keep relaunching the rope an infinite number of times until you touch the ground. : (

I realize the extended range is probably to help compensate for the lack of parachute or bungee, but it's ridiculous in any underground map.

I just downloaded this, and haven't tried online yet, but I don't like the little bit of single player I played so far. For one, the controls suck, if you even accidently hit a too fast or by mistake, forget it, it's over, your weapon has already launched. Also the CPU seems to get priority on all the good spots on the map, while I always end up with at least 2 characters buried behind some wall or on a crevice hanging over water. The CPU also seems to have rediculously perfect aim that no human player could ever possible achieve. Oh well, maybe there's hope for online...

Scorched Earth was a great game.

If you guys like this type of gameplay, there is a free online PC game you can download called Gunbound (http://gunbound.ijji.com/). It is considerably more complex than Worms or SE but is a lot of fun once you get the hang of it.

[quote name='spmahn']...The CPU also seems to have rediculously perfect aim that no human player could ever possible achieve. Oh well, maybe there's hope for online...[/quote]

I noticed this. It is pretty goddamn annoying. I also noticed that for some reason, it takes the CPU worms 10-30 seconds into their turn before they stop sitting there and actually do something. I realize it is probably just the AI cranking to decide what to do but it is still way to long.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']shit, scorched earth consumed my life when I was younger. Worms is cool and all but I would definitely take scorched earth over worms.[/QUOTE]

Scorched Earth was the first game I ever "hacked"...I remember going into XTGold and changing the taunts to my own stuff ("From hell's heart I stab at thee" became "fuck YOU!!!!" and other childish stuff). Great game.

Not interested in this release, but nice to see it finally show up.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']I noticed this. It is pretty goddamn annoying. I also noticed that for some reason, it takes the CPU worms 10-30 seconds into their turn before they stop sitting there and actually do something. I realize it is probably just the AI cranking to decide what to do but it is still way to long.[/quote]

That doesn't bother me. Many human players will use most of their turn, so it's all the same thing - except the player will move around and such, which is a bit more interesting to look at.

In the real game, do you get to choose differing units in which each has its own stats, unit placement, and that stuff? Never played a worms game before and it looks compelling, a 2-D turn-based strategy. However, if it's as simple and straight forward as the demo, then I'll have to pass.

*I've been too influenced by Starcraft

[quote name='nintendokid']In the real game, do you get to choose differing units in which each has its own stats, unit placement, and that stuff?[/QUOTE]

No.

Thanks, Sporadic, for clearing that up. Do you get more units though? It was quite lonely for my demo because it was 4 v 4 on a what-could-be 10v10 stage worms chaos.

[quote name='nintendokid']Thanks, Sporadic, for clearing that up. Do you get more units though? It was quite lonely for my demo because it was 4 v 4 on a what-could-be 10v10 stage worms chaos.[/QUOTE]

well you gotta take into account its up to 4 players multiplayer

so thats 4 vs 4 vs 4 vs 4

[quote name='Weedy649']well you gotta take into account its up to 4 players multiplayer

so thats 4 vs 4 vs 4 vs 4[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that shit's out of control.

Holy crap! This long-ass work day somehow made me forget worms comes out today! Wow! It really changes my perspective on today.

Man, this is pissing me off.

Everytime I try to join/create a 4 player game 90% of the time I either get drop/my Xbox freezes.

[quote name='spmahn']The CPU also seems to have rediculously perfect aim that no human player could ever possible achieve. Oh well, maybe there's hope for online...[/quote]

This is exactly what is preventing me from buying the game right now. Can the difficulty be turned down any? I've played 5 rounds on the demo, and lost all 5 due to the near perfect aiming coming from the CPU. It doesn't matter the weapon, they hit the mark nearly 99% of the time.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']So what's the consensus, you who've already bought it? Worth buying?[/quote]

If you already own a worms game and you don't mind pulling out your old system to play it and you don't care about playing online, it isn't worth it. However if you're like me and you don't own any worms games and you do care about playing online and you don't feel like pulling out an old system, it is worth it.

Yea.

yea, my comp doesnt play any of my worms games anymore, so it's worth it to me...plus this game is really only great with online play anyway, which the PC version is kinda dead with IIRC

extremely dissapointed with this. i had been looking forward to this, for like ever. I thought the controls sucked, and it was too slow paced. But, i had never played a worms game, so i didn't know what to expect. I will just keep my free version of pocket tanks on the pc. Now, that is a game i'd like on the XBLA

Me and a college buddy used to play Worms World Party all the time, and he just got a 360. No-brainer purchase for me! This is almost exactly like that old XBOX Live commercial...

Anyone else having large problems trying to get into a game? 70% of the time I can get into a game, see other players, then the game will close down and I'll have to go back to the menu.

Another 20% of the time I'll get "The Worms server is not available at this time. Please try again later."

And finally, I can get into and pay a game maybe 10% of the time. Anyone else? Or is this just my connection?

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']So what's the consensus, you who've already bought it? Worth buying?[/QUOTE]

Worth every penny, when you can get it, 4 player online battles are just :drool:

bread's done
Back