XBLA - Worms - 400pts

While it's missing some things, it's still more than worth the price of admission. Ultimately, since people are talking about it, Scorched Earth is still my favorite game of this type (I've played various Worms games and Gunbound pretty heavily). Anyway, buy this. The most frustrating thing is that playing games online can be difficult in terms of finding a game that actually connects, but once you get going, it's a blast.

This is my first Worms experience, and I must say that this game is a blast!
The online multiplayer has already provided me with $10 worth of fun and laughs.

Been playing the single player for awhile, and the computer is way too good, even on beginner.
I can imagine this will be a lot of fun on Live.

Oh the memories of junior high math class playing worms on my TI-86...

My NAT is open but I've always still had problems playing on Live. Not with this game at all. Connected every time right away. So weird. . .

Hahaha oh man this is great. I just set up my old Flipmode Squad team that I used on the Dreamcast. Featuring "Busta Rhymes," "Spliff Star," "LordHaveMercy," and "Rah Digga." I'm so glad they still let you create your own teams. :D

[quote name='Underfoot']Just played a few rounds with Cheapy. For a guy that has never played the game before he beat me everyround.[/QUOTE]

Underfoot: Man i thought i would have won this being your first time playing and all.....oh well here's the $20 we bet.

CheapyD: I gots ta get pizaid!

u got hustled by cheapy!!

Just logged 2 hours into it....damn I love this game. I have not played a Worms game since Armageddon on the PC 8 or so years ago...I got the roll of it very fast. Played 5 online matches and won 4 of them (4 player). Anyone want to play tomorrow?

[quote name='BustaUppa']Hahaha oh man this is great. I just set up my old Flipmode Squad team that I used on the Dreamcast. Featuring "Busta Rhymes," "Spliff Star," "LordHaveMercy," and "Rah Digga." I'm so glad they still let you create your own teams. :D[/QUOTE]
That's hilarious. But Rah Digga instead of Rampage or Baby Sham. That's ashame.

I bought Worms HD right when it came out, but I've barely touched it so far. The biggest issue I've had so far is with the control scheme, which I don't feel is intuitive. It's making me hesitate when I play, because already I've jumped when trying to switch weapons, and things of that nature. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I do wish I could change the controls.

Also, did anybody else notice that the worms seem to be much more resistant to movement from explosions than in the past 2D games?

[quote name='Weedy649']Underfoot: Man i thought i would have won this being your first time playing and all.....oh well here's the $20 we bet.

CheapyD: I gots ta get pizaid!

u got hustled by cheapy!![/quote]
Yeah Im thinking Cheapy is a pro Worms player....

Am I the only person who thinks paying 10$ to download 12+ year old games like Worms and Doom is definitely NOT a good price?

[quote name='RollingSkull']I never understood the appeal of Worms...[/QUOTE]

And yet you felt the need to post in this thread.

[quote name='Caro']Am I the only person who thinks paying 10$ to download 12+ year old games like Worms and Doom is definitely NOT a good price?[/QUOTE]

So...don't buy it? I guess I'm missing the point of this post,

[quote name='Caro']Am I the only person who thinks paying 10$ to download 12+ year old games like Worms and Doom is definitely NOT a good price?[/QUOTE]

My opinion only, but I'd say that Worms has aged gracefully, and will always be a fun multiplayer game.

Doom, on the other hand... not so much.

[quote name='Caro']Am I the only person who thinks paying 10$ to download 12+ year old games like Worms and Doom is definitely NOT a good price?[/QUOTE]This isn't like the Wii VC where they just dump a ROM, with no real enhancements. They basically re-made the game from scratch for the 360. So the "12+ year old game" argument isn't really fair IMO.[quote name='DomLando']That's hilarious. But Rah Digga instead of Rampage or Baby Sham. That's ashame.[/QUOTE]lol... well I figured I'd leave the chick in there for some variety. :D

I like the game a lot, but why they didn't just make World Party is beyond me. I loved playing that online with the DC. The gravity is different, so the ninja ropes are harder to use for flipping up onto a ledge. And how can you have a Worms game without a Holy Hand Grenade? Anyone that wants to play, send me an invite!

MjC

[quote name='MCalvert1']I like the game a lot, but why they didn't just make World Party is beyond me. I loved playing that online with the DC. The gravity is different, so the ninja ropes are harder to use for flipping up onto a ledge. And how can you have a Worms game without a Holy Hand Grenade? Anyone that wants to play, send me an invite!

MjC[/quote]
Can you pull off the flip tricks with the ninja rope in this version? Maybe I'm just rusty from not playing in ages, but I wasn't pulling off any fancy stuff with the ninja rope. It seemed pretty much the same for regular usage, though.

I only played a couple games last night, but I had little trouble getting into a game, it just took a try or three. Well worth it for the multiplayer; I just wish you could change the control scheme. For some reason I couldn't keep the buttons straight, I wasted a couple turns dragon punching thin air #-o

[quote name='MCalvert1']I like the game a lot, but why they didn't just make World Party is beyond me. I loved playing that online with the DC. The gravity is different, so the ninja ropes are harder to use for flipping up onto a ledge. And how can you have a Worms game without a Holy Hand Grenade? Anyone that wants to play, send me an invite!

MjC[/quote]
My guess is the game hit the 50mb cap and through downloadble content we will get all the old weapons in thsi game.

[quote name='jtbradford']Can you pull off the flip tricks with the ninja rope in this version? Maybe I'm just rusty from not playing in ages, but I wasn't pulling off any fancy stuff with the ninja rope. It seemed pretty much the same for regular usage, though.

I only played a couple games last night, but I had little trouble getting into a game, it just took a try or three. Well worth it for the multiplayer; I just wish you could change the control scheme. For some reason I couldn't keep the buttons straight, I wasted a couple turns dragon punching thin air #-o[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it would be nice to remap the buttons. Plus, am I missing something, or did they take out the ability to just straight up? (not the backflip, just up). I blew myself up with a sheep by jumping forward for a launch last night.

And no, I wasn't able to do anything especially fancy with the rope, but it seems like it might be possible with practice and adjustment.

MjC

[quote name='BustaUppa']This isn't like the Wii VC where they just dump a ROM, with no real enhancements. They basically re-made the game from scratch for the 360. So the "12+ year old game" argument isn't really fair IMO.lol... well I figured I'd leave the chick in there for some variety. :D[/quote]

I guess I should have played the game first, they did a very good job with it. Bought it lol :lol:

[quote name='jtbradford']Can you pull off the flip tricks with the ninja rope in this version? Maybe I'm just rusty from not playing in ages, but I wasn't pulling off any fancy stuff with the ninja rope. It seemed pretty much the same for regular usage, though.

I only played a couple games last night, but I had little trouble getting into a game, it just took a try or three. Well worth it for the multiplayer; I just wish you could change the control scheme. For some reason I couldn't keep the buttons straight, I wasted a couple turns dragon punching thin air #-o[/QUOTE]

Yeah, as a vet from Armageddon and World Party, I found myself unable to use the ninja rope anywhere near as effectively as before. I also didn't find the control scheme to be very intuitive; just like you, I've accidentally blown myself up when trying to backflip and things of that nature. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but there really is no reason to not have remappable controls.

Still, an excellent game that's a great throwback to the time I wasted on it back in high school.

Well I'm only saded to see some of my favorite weapons gone like the mad cow, holy hand grenade, SuperSheep, CrazyOldLady, baseball bat, and even the drill and bungie. The rope is tricky but doable but its harder to swing up onto a ledge. I never played World Party but loved Armageddon so of course I would have liked the game to be more like W:A but I'm lovin that I have worms on my 360 and I've already played 6 games on live, a few games got dc and one got stuck loading the level as I was not able to use B to get out of it, (have to hit xbox button and then Y for dashboard and then start worms again) Anyone else having problems with live games? Other than that I love the game and glad I picked it up.

It feels really neutered to me.. no Holy Hand Grenade, Homing Sheep, Homing Pigeon, etc. I haven't taken it online yet, but the challenges limit you to one ninja rope.. there aren't any parachutes (if anybody else remembers ropers with chutes, you know how important they can be). I dunno.. I hope that they will push out a speech/level/grave/fanfare editor to use with the 360 version. Roping with a controller is MUCH harder than with a keyboard. I'm glad Worms is going to be able to reach a new audience, since recent releases are the 3D crap-titles Team17 has been pushing out for the past few years.

It's kind of funny.. it makes me miss my days on Wormnet that much more. I hope Team17 gives it a lot of support.. but I'm baffled as to why they didn't just release Armageddon or World Party as well.

After playing it, this seems like an exact port of the psp Worms.

Except that its $20 less at launch, has online play and achievements :eek:

My first worms game and I've been playing this for hours. I'm a little disapointed that we've been shafted some pretty nifty stuff but still worth the points.

I love it so far but I have one complaint.

The censor feature is broken as hell.

On my 3rd Rock team, "Dick" became "Naughty" and on my Titus team, everybody that was named Titus was renamed "Naughty"

Such bullshit.

So I finally got around to purchasing this game, because I really liked the demo, it's an awesome game

We should get a CAG tournament together, similar to the UNO ones we had

Until then, any CAGs wanna add me to their friends list and go for some online wars?

[quote name='Sporadic']I love it so far but I have one complaint.

The censor feature is broken as hell.

On my 3rd Rock team, "Dick" became "Naughty" and on my Titus team, everybody that was named Titus was renamed "Naughty"

Such bullshit.[/QUOTE]
Dick and tit, why wouldn't those be censored?

The AI is pretty seriously fucked up but you'd be hard pressed to find a game that is more fun when some friends come over. I played it (and drank of course) with my friends for like 6 hours on Friday.

Lol yea I beat the single player, and man is the AI hard and cheap. I love playing this game online though but the online is a bit broken here and there so I'm hopin for a patch. Anyone wanna duke it out in worms add me and I'm totally up for tournaments!

I may be starting to hate this game. I can't beat challenge 5. I lose turns because I can't tell how far I can fall without losing a turn. I can't get the homing missile to work. I don't understand any of the strategy, and I don't know how I'm supposed to learn it. The weapons tutorial is pretty pathetic considering it barely covers half of the weapons. Gah, I'm so frustrated........

Sorry, I know I'm ranting. Going to bed now......

The game is fun, but I miss the physics I play on the PC. And the explosions of the barrels would leave a fire behind (and be affected by the wind if it fell).

The extra weapons.... They skimped on those. Throw a grenade and it sticks instead of bouncing.

It is fun (and I bought it), but I wish they had gone in the other direction.

Wow, I wrent from salivating over this games release to debating wheather I should keep the demo or not.

does it get any better than the demo?

[quote name='njchris']The game is fun, but I miss the physics I play on the PC. And the explosions of the barrels would leave a fire behind (and be affected by the wind if it fell).

The extra weapons.... They skimped on those. Throw a grenade and it sticks instead of bouncing.

It is fun (and I bought it), but I wish they had gone in the other direction.[/quote]

yea, i was at first confused about the exploding barrels as well since acid didn't come out of them and blow in the wind...oh well, still a fun game online

[quote name='hhhdx4']Wow, I wrent from salivating over this games release to debating wheather I should keep the demo or not.

does it get any better than the demo?[/quote]

multiplayer is worth the 800 alone (which it basically is since the SP is basically just practice)...all the demo really gives you is a feel for the controls and showing you what the graphics look like...it's a MUCH better game with online play

bread's done
Back