Xbox 250GB S Int.HDD-& Wifi N-$299-Out Now|Kinect out 11/4|$199 Model and bundles

[quote name='HydroX']You could recover your gamertag every time you sign on that system, but that's just a pain in the ass.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is.

A USB stick is probably your best bet.

I am glad I just found out ESPN will work for me as it is compatible with regular Verizon DSL. I am actually looking forward to that feature.

[quote name='62t']I think the most was $150 trade in credit and that was back in 2008. And with the high failure rate GS cant be crazy to take old Xbox 360 in. I guess there might be some deal but they will require some games[/QUOTE]

I just talked to my local GS and they said for an Elite, 120GB HDD, and controller you'll get $165 but you have to trade in and buy one in the same transaction.

Has anyone that ordered it from Amazon gotten a shipping confirmation yet? My order still says delivery date of June 18th but it hasn't shipped yet and the product page says it will be in stock on June 19th

Well... Im a sucker for the smaller is better gimmick :D

My question to all of you since I havent really touched my 360 lately...

What are my options of just keeping my 20gb premium (hdmi), and using it to play halo with the other new system once I get it?

Do I need something dumb like two subscriptions to live? Or can I lan play over wireless or something?

Also can I log in to Live on both of them? Not at the same time, but say I have one in bedroom and one in living room. I am playing online in living room but get tired and go to the bedroom to play. Can I log in with my gamertag and continue?

[quote name='Steggy']Well... Im a sucker for the smaller is better gimmick :D

My question to all of you since I havent really touched my 360 lately...

What are my options of just keeping my 20gb premium (hdmi), and using it to play halo with the other new system once I get it?

Do I need something dumb like two subscriptions to live? Or can I lan play over wireless or something?

Also can I log in to Live on both of them? Not at the same time, but say I have one in bedroom and one in living room. I am playing online in living room but get tired and go to the bedroom to play. Can I log in with my gamertag and continue?[/QUOTE]

You could play over lan but you would need two profiles to be logged in at the same time. And you would need a 2nd Gold subscription to play on live at the same time, but if it's something you really want to do, Amazon has the 1 year gold for $35

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jthomson']You could play over lan but you would need two profiles to be logged in at the same time. And you would need a 2nd Gold subscription to play on live at the same time, but if it's something you really want to do, Amazon has the 1 year gold for $35[/QUOTE]

Can you do LAN through wireless though? Id prefer to do that than run a cat5 cable through the house to connect the two. Than again, for 35 that may not be too bad....

I don't think you can do wireless, but you could pick up a switch and a couple hundred feet of cat5 for like $30 on monoprice

Perhaps a stupid question. But.
I did a console license transfer back in January. From what I've heard, we can only do one transfer per year on consoles.
Does that Mean I'm pretty much screwed if I want a new slim (can't transfer my licenses over to the slim)?
MS should make exceptions for people when they release a new SKU.
But I don't think they do.

[quote name='sunnysky']Perhaps a stupid question. But.
I did a console license transfer back in January. From what I've heard, we can only do one transfer per year on consoles.
Does that Mean I'm pretty much screwed if I want a new slim (can't transfer my licenses over to the slim)?
But I don't think they do.[/QUOTE]

I think you cam just redownload your stuff to the new console

[quote name='sunnysky']Perhaps a stupid question. But.
But I don't think they do.[/QUOTE]The only exception to that rule is when you get your console repaired and they swap it out with a different 360.

You can still redownload everything to the new system, you'll just need to be connected to XBL for it to work.

just to save me a little time from reading 500 pages but will the new xbox have better graphics? i read somewhere that it's going to use one of them 5070 cards from ati. i got a hdtv and would lvoe higher resolutions and junk. =p

I ordered, then cancelled the order...I dunno, if you have a working 360, why upgrade now? Its gonna play the games the same. So, I'll wait, see if people report anything that makes this a real standout.

[quote name='Kevfactor']just to save me a little time from reading 500 pages but will the new xbox have better graphics? i read somewhere that it's going to use one of them 5070 cards from ati. i got a hdtv and would lvoe higher resolutions and junk. =p[/QUOTE]

Nope, it does not have better graphics. And reading at least the first posts in the thread is always a good idea.

Some of you early adopters should post in here once you run some games on it.

As long as this thing is quieter and doesn't get as hot as my old 60 GB I might have to pick one up.

If I have the original Hard Drive transfer kit, can i use that to transfer the stuff on my 120GB 360 hard drive to the new Slim 360 hard drive or do i have to buy the new transfer kit?

no, the older transfer kit will not work. I have the 120gb transfer kit that first came out and tried it on the 250gb hd but no luck. The thing is, all you really need for that though is the CD as the connection is the same and only difference is the disc that is updated.

[quote name='konicki465']If I have the original Hard Drive transfer kit, can i use that to transfer the stuff on my 120GB 360 hard drive to the new Slim 360 hard drive or do i have to buy the new transfer kit?[/QUOTE]

Yes

[quote name='intoxicated662']no, the older transfer kit will not work. I have the 120gb transfer kit that first came out and tried it on the 250gb hd but no luck. The thing is, all you really need for that though is the CD as the connection is the same and only difference is the disc that is updated.[/QUOTE]

No, you're wrong.

[quote name='jthomson']I just talked to my local GS and they said for an Elite, 120GB HDD, and controller you'll get $165 but you have to trade in and buy one in the same transaction.[/QUOTE]

The sucky part about that is that you can't transfer stuff over then. They need to have a station set up in the store, kind of like cell phone companies have to move your contact info from one phone to another.

Found this image, but I'd still like to see a pic of the 2 consoles side-by-side for a true comparison.

new-vs-old-xbox-designs.jpg

I too would like to see some reports of just how quiet it is. That is my main gripe about my current 360. Well, that and the lack of a BluRay drive.

Can't say I'm thrilled about the new look. The fact that it's quieter is better, but my old console isn't all that loud when games are installed to the HDD.

[quote name='jthomson']I just talked to my local GS and they said for an Elite, 120GB HDD, and controller you'll get $165 but you have to trade in and buy one in the same transaction.[/QUOTE]

I will trade in my Elite to get that deal, no questions asked. The problem is, I already have a wireless n adapter for the elite and my 120GB hdd is not even close to full yet so why do I need to buy another 360? It looks cool but still. If they have in fact fixed the RROD and made it quieter then I will buy it.

Can anyone else confirm this "deal" from GS?

So if I got the slim, I would keep my arcade set up on one tv and set up the slim on another and take my 8gb thumb drive and pull data from my old one and move it to the new one? How will my live subscription move over to the new console?

[quote name='Maklershed']So if I got the slim, I would keep my arcade set up on one tv and set up the slim on another and take my 8gb thumb drive and pull data from my old one and move it to the new one? How will my live subscription move over to the new console?[/QUOTE]

You just copy your GamerTag profile to the memory card, and that's it.

Cool. I think I'm gonna do this. My arcade has been noisy and I used up all 20gb of hd space a long time ago. I think I have to go for the upgrade.

Is the current wireless N adapter usable on other things? I.e. could a laptop use it? I'm debating if I want to trade in my system or not, and having a moveable N adapter seems like a good idea (even if I do like things being integrated in the slim).

Also just how difficult is a license transfer? I don't mind redownloading what I've bought, but I imagine I'd need to use a USB drive to get some certain bits of data (gamer pic, saved game information, etc).

Also, I imagine the N adapter can connect to a G network, right?

[quote name='Strell']
Also just how difficult is a license transfer? I don't mind redownloading what I've bought, but I imagine I'd need to use a USB drive to get some certain bits of data (gamer pic, saved game information, etc).

Also, I imagine the N adapter can connect to a G network, right?[/QUOTE]

It only takes a few minutes on xbox.com and then the time to download everything.

Yes it can connect to any network.

The last time I did a transfer (Dec '08) it was a bit tedious. First you copy the HDD and that takes about two hours+ (my 20GB took a little over an hour). Then you have to migrate the licenses. That process involved redownloading them individually. You are talking everyone. I had 600 or so and I have a small rhythm game library. That took about an hour. MS might have made it easier since then

That comparison photo in the OP is (a little) deceptive. I finally found a set of photos showing the old and new Xbox together. The new one doesn't appear to be much, if at all, slimmer and is only a little shorter. So if you're looking to buy one of these for a more compact design, you may be a bit disappointed:

http://www.gamespot.com/special_feature/xbox250_preview/image-feature/index.html

This isn't a huge deal to me, though I did hope it would be a little thinner. Oh well. Being quieter is a win, but I wonder how much quieter it is. I hope someone will get one and be able to fill us in.

[quote name='crunchewy']That comparison photo in the OP is (a little) deceptive. I finally found a set of photos showing the old and new Xbox together. The new one doesn't appear to be much, if at all, slimmer and is only a little shorter. So if you're looking to buy one of these for a more compact design, you may be a bit disappointed:

http://www.gamespot.com/special_feature/xbox250_preview/image-feature/index.html

This isn't a huge deal to me, though I did hope it would be a little thinner. Oh well. Being quieter is a win, but I wonder how much quieter it is. I hope someone will get one and be able to fill us in.[/QUOTE]

Changed it.

Soooo anyone who is thinking about upgrading and wants to get rid of their old xbox send me a message.

My 360 just RROD and they refuse to replace it because it's out of the 3 year warranty. :cry:

[quote name='crunchewy']That comparison photo in the OP is (a little) deceptive. I finally found a set of photos showing the old and new Xbox together. The new one doesn't appear to be much, if at all, slimmer and is only a little shorter. So if you're looking to buy one of these for a more compact design, you may be a bit disappointed:

This isn't a huge deal to me, though I did hope it would be a little thinner. Oh well. Being quieter is a win, but I wonder how much quieter it is. I hope someone will get one and be able to fill us in.[/QUOTE]

Interesting....I thought it was smaller than it appears. I still want one, but I currently have an ELITE that I use often and a bedroom 60GB that is barely used. I could trade that in, but then I am out $150 bucks or so. I do have an N adapter...so maybe I will bite.

I sent an email to support asking about what the chances are of the new system getting the rrod after reading that it was "rrod proof" in different forums and threads. Well I got an email back.

Hello Jason,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft online support for XBOX. I am Rhian and I will be helping you today with this issue.

I understand you would like to inquire about quality of new Xbox 360 S.

Please accept our apologies about this matter.

All Xbox 360 consoles are functionally identical. Games designed for use with an Xbox 360 console will run on any Xbox 360, regardless of whether it is a core, Elite, or any other kind.

The nature of the console itself is very complex, as it's a consumer electronic product that contains more than 1,700 different components and 500 million transistors. There are obviously many things that can malfunction at any given time - but the majority of customers who own Xbox 360 consoles have had a terrific experience from their first day, and continue to, day in and day out.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

If you need to reply to this e-mail, please reply 'with history' (include any previous e-mail) or reference to Service Request Number 1133441510 so we can expedite our service to you.

Thank you for visiting Xbox.com. If you should have future questions on Xbox products or services, please be sure to revisit our Web site as we are continually adding information to enhance our service.

Best Regards,

Rhian

Microsoft XBOX Support Services

http://support.microsoft.com/

[quote name='pjb16']It is "rrod proof" as there are no red rings.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't mean it won't have such a high failure rate, it just means you won't know what is going on.

thanks for the specs sheet

im tempted in actually getting this. for reasons unknown since i dont even play much as i used to. 802.11n seems so convenient and the wireless on my ps3 seems acceptable for online play. and less power with less noise seems great (but i install all my games anyway). one thing i hate is touch controls. everything i own now seems to have touch controls and they all piss me off.

should i trade my current 360 to get a slim for 120 bucks more?

[quote name='shosh']
should i trade my current 360 to get a slim for 120 bucks more?[/QUOTE]

Same question I'm having. I think my system + 120 gig gets me into $140 range. The remaining bit can be minimized with a DS Lite, which gets it to roughly $80, and even then I have a few games I could trade in.

But at this point I'm questioning why I'd bother when my system is working now, has plenty of HD space, and hardly grants me anything "new" all things considered. Two more USB ports, double HD space (mine is barely half full as it is), an optical audio port, and Kinect port. The only thing out of there that really helps is the audio port, and even then I'd have no current use for it.

I did have one of those E74 (whatever) video errors once several months ago. Maybe if I get another one I'll just up and trade it in for a shiny new slim.

bread's done
Back