Xbox 250GB S Int.HDD-& Wifi N-$299-Out Now|Kinect out 11/4|$199 Model and bundles

I recently bought a 250 gb elite bundle (got a killer deal on it, it was 205) but I am considering returning it (still within return policy) for one of these.

Should I do it?

From Xbox Honcho Aaron Greenberg

No Kinect price announced yet, retail price estimates are purely speculative, final price & pack-in details are not yet determined.

[quote name='Maklershed']If I bought a slim could I transfer data with a USB thumb drive? Also, can it be an unformatted Kingston or would I need something special?[/QUOTE]

Thumb sticks can only be a max of 8GB (limit 2 per console). You will have to do the math. Any drive should work.

[quote name='deepgreen']I recently bought a 250 gb elite bundle (got a killer deal on it, it was 205) but I am considering returning it (still within return policy) for one of these.

Should I do it?[/QUOTE]

That's up to you.

EDIT: Older transfer cables should work, but there were problems with original cables when the 250GB HDD first came out

[quote name='deepgreen']I recently bought a 250 gb elite bundle (got a killer deal on it, it was 205) but I am considering returning it (still within return policy) for one of these.

Should I do it?[/QUOTE]
Depends if you value wi-fi, new size, finish, and a better "kinect-ion" (no ac adapter necessary) as worth the $95 difference.

My core unit red-ringed last year and just went out of the 3-year warranty about 6 months ago. This unit has me really tempted but since I have a 120GB HDD and Wifi adapter already I don't know. The $150 Arcade Units do look pretty attractive too, especially with the deal Target has running, just because mine doesn't have an HDMI cable and the Jasper chip.

[quote name='guyver2077']i could of sworn the spec sheet said 45nm[/QUOTE]

Just saw it. 45 nm confirmed. Nice. Says the CPU & GPU are integrated, that's significant production savings.

[quote name='reddjoey']Joystiq just said the "old" transfer cables will work.

Wasn't there problems with the 20GB->120GB trying to do XGB->250GB?[/QUOTE]

the problem wasnt the cable, it was the software disc

Maybe I'm old fashion but, kinect?? Ugh!

I don't want to have to jump up in the air....wave my hands or any of that. I just want to sit on my couch with a controller and play. Same reason I don't own a wii.

Is there any other grandpa's in here who agree with me? Or am I just old and lazy? :D

[quote name='62t']the problem wasnt the cable, it was the software disc[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clearing that up... all I could remember is that mine didn't work so I waited on the 250 from the 120

[quote name='J7.']MGS Rising doesn't look like MGS anymore.[/QUOTE]
I'd agree if Solid Snake or Big Boss were the main character, but it's Raiden, the bad ass swordsman from MGS4 that should only be cutting people, androids, and fruit into pieces.

If this turns out that it is actually really quiet AND I can pull their 250GB 5400rpm drive and install my own 7200RPM SATA drive, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. If not then it will be what I buy when my current unit with 250GB hard disk dies.

didn't see this answered here, but what about the license transfers? I'm sure there are others besides myself who have purchased new/ replacement 360s within the past year who would like to get this latest model. Sure you can move your content over no problem, but you ca only transfer licenses once every 12 months.

[quote name='thabizzle']didn't see this answered here, but what about the license transfers? I'm sure there are others besides myself who have purchased new/ replacement 360s within the past year who would like to get this latest model. Sure you can move your content over no problem, but you ca only transfer licenses once every 12 months.[/QUOTE]The only way around the 12 month restriction is if you have your console repaired, they swap it out and forget to do the license transfer. Otherwise, you're up the creek.

[quote name='jkam']I wonder if the system can lay flat...it almost looks as if it can't. I don't have the room to stand it up![/QUOTE]
Yes it has feet to lay flat.

Unless Gamestop has some compelling trade-in deal and I can swing it, this is a no go for me. I havea 120GB and 512MB yada yada..that is now essentially worthless with the new console.

thanks, shrike. That's what I figured. Hmmm...I wonder if they'll let me hook the new 360 up in-store so I can move my data over

(wishes upon a star)

Damn, this thing looks nice and the built in wifi is a god send, only years after the PS3 though. I have to find a way to get one of these.

I already have 2 god damn xboxes already....what would I look like with 3? Trading in a console is always pointless as you get 1/3 of the price you pay for it. I wonder if I could Ebay or Clist each for 150?

Blah......

not worth it..going up in price on a system that's 5 years old is stupid. MS could've easily thrown us a bone and sold this at $200. That would've been a killer.

I think Dance Central might actually be good. I know not everyone likes dancing games, but I loved Dance Dance Revolution back in the PSOne/PS2 days.

What is a bit odd to me is that MS would continue to produce Arcades & Elites through to next year. Why not stop making them and also sell the Slim60 without an HDD for $200?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'd agree if Solid Snake or Big Boss were the main character, but it's Raiden, the bad ass swordsman from MGS4 that should only be cutting people, androids, and fruit into pieces.[/QUOTE]

Did MGS 4 have that same hack n slash game play with absolutely no stealth? Color me doubly disappointed then. Haven't gotten to it yet, in my backlog. If I remember MGS 2 correctly Raiden had to use stealth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I read about this being rrod proof in this thread and I just read about it in the deals thread for the slim model. Where are poeple getting that it is rrod proof?

So it will just fail and you wont know why now. Also didn't the 360 have a 1 year warranty when it first came out and they made it 3 for the rrod and the e74 a year or so later. I wonder how long this new slim hardware got tested.

[quote name='J7.']What is a bit odd to me is that MS would continue to produce Arcades & Elites through to next year. Why not stop making them and also sell the Slim60 without an HDD for $200?[/QUOTE]

I was thinking this myself but what baffles me the most is that they did a $50 price drop on their other SKUs and didn't mention in their press conference.

I really hope GameStop has some sort of trade-in thing where you can upgrade for like $50 or something. I could really use the extra HDD space since my 20GB has been full for 2 years now.

I'm really interested to see how much power this thing uses (in real usage situations, not on a spec sheet). It'd be pretty much the only reason I'd be interested in upgrading. I guess loading more games onto the HDD would be nice.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The worst Summer of Arcade yet. I'm only interested in Limbo and that could change if everything is $15.[/QUOTE]

Life would be hard if one had bad taste. :p

Well, I am with those who think the redesign is ugly. I don't like the angular look. I like the current 360. Size really isn't bad to me, I don't think everything has to be compact. Also, the clean lines and smoothness of the current Xbox 360 fits in the menus and experience of the overall 360 experience once you turn it on. However, again, like others said, that wouldn't be enough to keep me from buying it. I think too, a flat black would look better than glossy. I'm not a fan of shiny stuff. Anyway, that's just being picky. The added options sound like a better deal, mostly the wifi. However, I have a 120gb Elite that works fine, so I really have no reason to get the new one unless this one breaks.

As far as the Kinect... well... idk. I hate the name, that's for sure. I think the Natal was a cooler name. Kinect sounds corny. The demo game was pretty lame too. I was assuming that they could come up with a much cooler looking game than a river raft. Either way, from what I saw on Good Morning America, it responded really well to her jumping and leaning. I also thought it was interesting that when she would turn around to talk to the camera that her character would also turn to the side, and move its arms similarly. I think it looks like a fun thing, but I will never give up the controller. Ideally, I would mix them all together and play both. I would buy the Kinect, but not at launch unless something REALLY good came with it, or there was a super package. Eventually, there will be an Xbox w/ Kinect package

[quote name='javeryh']I really hope GameStop has some sort of trade-in thing where you can upgrade for like $50 or something. I could really use the extra HDD space since my 20GB has been full for 2 years now.[/QUOTE]

This. I'd settle for a $99 upgrade, but I doubt even that will happen.

id like someone to buy it and tell us how it goes in transferring stuff onto the new 360. like can you use a transfer cable , use a flash drive, or are you screwed.

[quote name='mykevermin']This. I'd settle for a $99 upgrade, but I doubt even that will happen.[/QUOTE]

Probably not, considering the TIVs of the current 360s will drop even more now with the S out.

A Gamestop Trade-In Deal for this might be more like "Trade in your old 360, 2 games, a wireless controller and hard drive and get $150 off the Xbox 360 S"

[quote name='timesplitt']id like someone to buy it and tell us how it goes in transferring stuff onto the new 360. like can you use a transfer cable , use a flash drive, or are you screwed.[/QUOTE]

Of course you can use a flash drive. As far as I know it's still limited to 8 GB though, so you might have to do a couple of transfers to get everything moved. And yes, it has been stated in this thread (and by Microsoft) that you can use a transfer cable.

[quote name='HydroX']Probably not, considering the TIVs of the current 360s will drop even more now with the S out.

A Gamestop Trade-In Deal for this might be more like "Trade in your old 360, 2 games, a wireless controller and hard drive and get $150 off the Xbox 360 S"[/QUOTE]

As long as the games don't have to come from a specific list, I could probably live with that.

[quote name='eastx']Of course you can use a flash drive. As far as I know it's still limited to 8 GB though, so you might have to do a couple of transfers to get everything moved. And yes, it has been stated in this thread (and by Microsoft) that you can use a transfer cable.

As long as the games don't have to come from a specific list, I could probably live with that.[/QUOTE]

The limit is 16 GB, not 8 GB

[quote name='eastx']As long as the games don't have to come from a specific list, I could probably live with that.[/QUOTE]

Being GS, of course the list would be that of the $25 TIV list.

Otherwise it'd just be "Save $100"

[quote name='mykevermin']This. I'd settle for a $99 upgrade, but I doubt even that will happen.[/QUOTE]

They had a $50 upgrade cost with trade-in for the new black Wii. You had to have TWO controllers and nunchucks though. A $99 deal for the 360 shouldn't be out of the question. Too bad I just bought my new 360 Arcade unit back in November. I don't need to upgrade the system (it's quiet!) but I really want that larger hard drive.

[quote name='javeryh']They had a $50 upgrade cost with trade-in for the new black Wii. You had to have TWO controllers and nunchucks though. A $99 deal for the 360 shouldn't be out of the question. Too bad I just bought my new 360 Arcade unit back in November. I don't need to upgrade the system (it's quiet!) but I really want that larger hard drive.[/QUOTE]

I think the most was $150 trade in credit and that was back in 2008. And with the high failure rate GS cant be crazy to take old Xbox 360 in. I guess there might be some deal but they will require some games

i have a question some people might be able to answer... can I have my gamertag as the main account on two different xbox's? im guessing not, but i'd like another xbox for my basement and I'd like them both to be exact duplicates but something tells me it isn't possible. I'd buy one of the new models if I could.

DestroVega you can't quite do that. But you could keep the GamerTag on a memory stick and transfer it between both consoles easily.

[quote name='DestroVega']hmmm. ok. I'd have to look into all the details. thanks.[/QUOTE]

You could recover your gamertag every time you sign on that system, but that's just a pain in the ass.

bread's done
Back