Xbox 360 250 GB Hard Drive $129.99 Amazon FSS UPDATED: Gamestop $97 with coupon 4/2

Anexanhume

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250GB-Hard-Drive/dp/B003C1VPEY/ref=amb_link_292329822_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=top-1&pf_rd_r=1PAXTYCMQ3ANDG2FK97A&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=1253806422&pf_rd_i=360%20250%20gb

Stock arrives March 28th.

Can get it for 97 at gamestop with a "25off" code.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77266

DISCLAIMER: MAY NOT BE HONORED

UPDATE: Looks like orders are getting canceled by gamestop.

[quote name='truckasauras']I know the web site allows you to apply the 25off code, but if you read the text on there it says "Not valid on consoles or hard drives. Offer subject to change. - XB360 Hard Drive 250GB"

I doubt they will honor the $97 sale price with the coupon. I was ready to purchase this until I saw that text.[/QUOTE]

Update: try the following:

[quote name='paperkut']FYI ... ENT20 (or 10AUTO) works for 250 GB XBOX HD ... LOL.

order before they catch on ... too bad I got mine already ...[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh, I managed to get the FF13 version for about 160 on ebay and it included the chocobo pet and avatar outfit codes. The only thing I'd want from this set is the software CD for the transfer.

sigh. $.52 per GB??? Its an outrage but its desperately needed. Guess MS wins this round.

BTW the 120 GB are officially $99 now. Didn't see anyone post it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a good deal considering what MS would normally charge for a big HD like this. I thought for sure it would be $180 or more.

I'll probably get one once more word of the Slim gets around. I wouldn't want to buy this and not be able to use it on a slim.

DOES everything Transfer over. ALL gamesaves transfer??

I hear that Fable 2 DOES NOT transfer. Is this TRUE. Also, I have ALL of the Oblvion content installed. However the Nights of the Nine and Shivering Isles were installed from a DISC. Will that transfer as well. Just need to make sure so I can figure out what to do if it doesnt.

Some game saves do not transfer period, the only ones I know of offhand for sure that don't transfer are Viva Pinata and Fable 2. Not sure about the disc installs, no idea if they transfer.

just called Gamestop Customer Service and their 250 GB does NOT come with a Transfer Cable. I was on hold for about 5 minutes for them to find the info.

Im waiting for the Amazon one then

[quote name='BingoBrown']Well, it's still a terrible price for a 250GB hard drive, but $130 is a lot easier to swallow knowing that the 120GB hard drive sold for that price just a few months ago.

And this is really nice:

So, no need to pay Microsoft separately for that kit.

Guess it's almost time to upgrade my old 20GB. Just need some kind of a deal on this.[/QUOTE]
exactly this, i want to update because im running out of space on my 20GB but i don't want to spend $130 on it :cry:. maybe i'll just buy a 120.

So much for MS denying that this will ever happen...

Oh well at least I got the MW2 Console for 279 (Target) and I like the paint job.

We need to start a thread so people can post where they saw one on a store shelf. The Store, City, Location. Get the point. I have a feeling that they will be hard to find. And I know I need one bad. I have 20 GB left and there are 4 games I DONT have installed. ME2 is one of them ( I got the CE but just havent finished the first one) plus Im getting Alan Wake. And thats going to have Episodic Content as well. I dont sell my games either. So when I get em I keep em and install them.

lol.. the harddrive is more expensive than my 360 console.. I bought my 360 for 99 from last year amazon promo. it was an arcade ver.

Wait, this really isn't coming out in black? I understood the 120gb only being standalone in white/grey cuz you would only have a white 360 that needed an upgraded HDD(aside of the halo3 edish). There has to be a big enough market of black elite owners wanting to upgrade...or am i out of my fucking mind here?

I have an old 20 GB myself and I was looking for a deal for a new HD. I actually don't think this is a bad price, but I don't really need a lot of space as I don't install games. As a heads up, if you're in the same boat as me, there is a rumor that this upcoming 2010 spring update will allow you to use USB storage. Link:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/18/xbox-360-gaining-usb-storage-support-in-2010-update/

While I realize 16 (technically 32 as you can use 2 at the same time) GB isn't anywhere close to 250, this update will prevent me from needing to upgrade at all. Just an FYI.

[quote name='SailorDaravon']Some game saves do not transfer period, the only ones I know of offhand for sure that don't transfer are Viva Pinata and Fable 2. Not sure about the disc installs, no idea if they transfer.[/QUOTE]

Are you serious?? Are you telling me I will have to go through the obscene hassle of using my Datel XPort to transfer files? I had to do that already back when I went from 120 to a different 120 and didn't have the right disc. Viva Pinata and Fable II transferred just fine with the Datel. If the offfical kit can't do it, its an absolute joke. Ugh, guess I'll have to back it up before the transfer, at least.

Not offering it in a black casing is seriously stupid as well. I might not upgrade at all. Or I'll have to go through the extreme pain of switching my casing and voiding the warranty. Ugh again!

I keep hearing people say they don't need more than 20GB. Am I the only one who installs his games to the HDD? Most games get a boost in the loading times, you're putting a lot less wear on the laser, and you avoid the loud 360 drive.

^^^I'm the same way. I have a 120 right now and am constantly having to uninstall all the games I have saved on there. If I play them off the disc, the 360 sounds like a damn vacuum cleaner!

Definitely interested in picking one up for that price and getting what I can for my old 120. Guess the color won't be too bad since almost anything goes with the black Elite.

Might be worth it if I could store videos from my computer on it to play directly. As it is I will just wait till the Spring/Summer update with the USB storage patch and use my current external HDD to store more stuff for my Xbox 360.

USB storage patch is worth the wait for me as well. In the meantime I'll be picking up plenty of DLC and games on my PC and PS3 (which both have decently priced storage upgrade solutions). I'll be holding off on all 360 content until that USB solution is launched.

It is amazing to me what can seem like a deal once a certain baseline has been established. I thought about several metaphors including prison sex, but I refuse to enter a flame war. So I'll just leave it at that.

[quote name='ElektroDragon']Are you serious?? Are you telling me I will have to go through the obscene hassle of using my Datel XPort to transfer files? I had to do that already back when I went from 120 to a different 120 and didn't have the right disc. Viva Pinata and Fable II transferred just fine with the Datel. If the offfical kit can't do it, its an absolute joke. Ugh, guess I'll have to back it up before the transfer, at least.

Not offering it in a black casing is seriously stupid as well. I might not upgrade at all. Or I'll have to go through the extreme pain of switching my casing and voiding the warranty. Ugh again![/QUOTE]

When you go to a SAVE file you have 3 options. Copy - MOVE- DELETE.

If you choose MOVE and move it to a Memory UNIT you are OK. I just did this myself. I believe it just has to go back to the same PROFILE to be used which it obviously would be. So you wouldnt have to start over or go through the hassle of the DATEL thing. Very simple. Takes 3 seconds.

[quote name='jrhawk42']according to a pretty detailed rumor the 360 will be allowing 32gigs of 3rd party USB memory (in the form of 2 usb drives) in a future update. Updates are normally spring and fall.

might wanna keep this in mind if you're looking for the cheapest memory option.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/18/xbox-360-gaining-usb-storage-support-in-2010-update/[/QUOTE]

The only bad part is that to get that 32GB, you'll spend roughly about $60 for two USB drives. Now if you can easily transfer items on and off of the USB drive with no issue, then I'm all for it.

[quote name='shrike4242']Try this, which was a post I made about the two different transfer kits, and a lot quicker than pawing through the above thread:

I called MS and managed to get them to send me a "replacement" transfer kit when I couldn't get the existing one I had from my retail pack 120GB drive to work with the 250GB drive on my MW2 Super Elite. The info above was a comparison between the two kits.[/QUOTE]

Wow. this blows. I wanted to jump on that splinter cell bundle since my current system is dying.

I have the old original software disk.

no offense but this is a horrible deal i paid $78 for one i bought on ebay from hong kong and still feel i paid too much. i coiuld have built myself one for $60. seriously a 250gb laptop drive can be had for around $50 and inside the case is nothing more than a simple sata connector. all you would need to do is flash the official firmware on a 3rd party harddrive

[quote name='el swordo']no offense but this is a horrible deal i paid $78 for one i bought on ebay from hong kong and still feel i paid too much. i coiuld have built myself one for $60. seriously a 250gb laptop drive can be had for around $50 and inside the case is nothing more than a simple sata connector. all you would need to do is flash the official firmware on a 3rd party harddrive[/QUOTE]

read the thread

[quote name='solsovly']read the thread[/QUOTE]

Don't know why people keep pushing for the illegitimate hdds...

Ironically I kept buying and returning the winter elite, then was thinking about the spring elite pack because my 20gb was beyond full, but this solution might be better. Granted, not cheap, but it's MS.

[quote name='el swordo']no offense but this is a horrible deal i paid $78 for one i bought on ebay from hong kong and still feel i paid too much. i coiuld have built myself one for $60. seriously a 250gb laptop drive can be had for around $50 and inside the case is nothing more than a simple sata connector. all you would need to do is flash the official firmware on a 3rd party harddrive[/QUOTE]

Those $78 HDD on ebay are NOT Microsoft official HDD for XBOX 360. The sellers from Hong Kong flash the laptop HDD and put them into their own poorly made HDD case, and then sell them on ebay.

In other words, the HDD case and the HDD inside are both third party products.

If you really want an official Microsoft XBOX 360 HDD, you should stay away from eBay, especially the sellers from Hong Kong. :D

I am not trying to start shit or anything, but owning a 360 seems to be against the principles of being a CAG. How much of this overpriced mumbo and additional fees can you handle in the lifespan of a console; it is not going to get better next gen either. But, 360 games do drop in price quickly and they have a great exclusive lineup for 2010... so I guess it balances out. This isn't meant to be a 360 vs ps3 post (they are both great). I just find it funny that the same people that won't buy a game if its $5 over their desired price based on principle alone will still go out and pay for stuff like this :roll:.

[quote name='oli821']I am not trying to start shit or anything, but owning a 360 seems to be against the principles of being a CAG.[/QUOTE]

Was paying $600 for a launch PS3 against the principles of being a CAG?

Was paying full retail price for a Nintendo Wii during the shortage years against the principles of being a CAG?

Is buying the multiple iterations of Nintendo's handheld DS systems against the principles of being a CAG?

Point is, we all spend a lot of money on this hobby of ours. If you need a bigger hard drive, and Microsoft only offers the 250GB drive at $130, is there really any other option? You just suck it up and buy one. If you're a CAG, then you'll likely have made up that bad deal with a bunch of other great deals. It'll all wash out in the end.

[quote name='GunstarRed']^^^I'm the same way. I have a 120 right now and am constantly having to uninstall all the games I have saved on there. If I play them off the disc, the 360 sounds like a damn vacuum cleaner!

Definitely interested in picking one up for that price and getting what I can for my old 120. Guess the color won't be too bad since almost anything goes with the black Elite.[/QUOTE]

ok i thought i just got a bum black Elite. my dvd drive when spinning sounds terrible. like cd drives from 1997 when you put the disc is a little off center.

i figured at any moment i'd have to send it in to microsoft. But i guess the loud vacuum noise is a feature and not a bug!

Cease and desist with the discussions of third-party HDD items for the 360. There are plenty of resources off of CAG that go into detail about those items, please don't discuss it here.

[quote name='poker360']Rumors of the slim xbox 360 as well as usb storage make me want to hold off on this deal.[/QUOTE]
based on the "shoddy" pic from Chinese factory or sth, I can tell the current HDD will be compatible with slim xbox

[quote name='oli821']I am not trying to start shit or anything, but owning a 360 seems to be against the principles of being a CAG.[/QUOTE]
If you're starting your post out like that, yes you are.

[quote name='killer9']

already available at gamestop

i can get it for 116.99 with my coupon not bad
[/QUOTE]

What coupon? Please explain this.

so quick random question- does anyone remember if ECA discounts worked on accessories? if i was able to add this to my existing order, it would make the price a lot more appealing.

I also like to install games to my HD to make my 360 sound less like a jet engine. How much do you think a 120GB would fetch? $60? If I could get this for around 60-70 out of pocket, I would consider it.

I say, keep the 120GB one also. I have a bunch of games on the 120, and then I have a bunch more on the 250. It saves me the trouble of having to uninstalle and reinstall games, instead I just need to swap drives (and discs).

bread's done
Back